Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 28, 2004, 01:13 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dark_preacher
Radeon Arctic Islands

Location: United States i'm no hero. never was. never will be.
dark_preacher is still being judged by the masses

Default thief 3 - deadly shadow

anybody played this yet?

i'm thinking about buying it but i fear a deus ex - invisible war repeat.
Old May 28, 2004, 01:29 AM   #2
::qcx:
Rage3D Veteran

::qcx: is still being judged by the masses

DX2 have been quite a deception to me too and I was expecting Thief to be plagued with the Xbox port disease as well but it's not the case. The game look very good, controls are just fine, sound design is awesome and the gameplay seems to be as good as the previous ones, from what I can see plyaing the tutorial and the 2 firsts levels. There's even some new elements that may add depth to the experience, after playing Far Cry and Spinter cell pandora tomorrow, this is the best game to play right now IMHO, definitivelly worth to your money.
3dMark 2k5: 9912
::qcx: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 01:33 AM   #3
venom4911
Radeon R300

venom4911 is still being judged by the masses

i really like the game....i think its a huge improvment over deus ex 2

game runs alot better for me. i think it definetly feels like the previous thief games. missions take some time to beat too. 2nd mission took me about an hour. then i spent over an hour wandering around the city stealing crap from people

ion storm have definetly impressed me...i was expecting the game to be a dx2 repeat but imo its not at all

ion storm may have screwed the deus ex series but i dont think they screwed up the thief series...also keep in mind im a fan of the previous thief games and overall i am impressed with thief 3...game also doesnt feel console-ish to me either

it does have some minor issues...the ragdoll physics can act a little strange and also the AI can have problems..also i noticed sometimes when characters walk around they dont move smoothly...they kinda jitter but its nothing major. also becuae of xbox limititations the texture quality aint the greatest and the frame rate could be better but like i said its alot better than dx2 frames. also the envirnments can be a little smal like in dx2 but its a bit better

overall its a huge improvment over dx2 and i think ion storm learned from their mistakes

http://wwfvenom.webhop.net

N
venom4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 28, 2004, 01:50 AM   #4
dark_preacher
Radeon Arctic Islands

Location: United States i'm no hero. never was. never will be.
dark_preacher is still being judged by the masses

thanks for the opinions guys.

keep em coming.
Old May 28, 2004, 04:27 AM   #5
vasileiou
Banned

vasileiou is still being judged by the masses

More Opinions from the guys that have Thief 3 Full game please

I want to know if worths the buy
vasileiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 04:42 AM   #6
MatroxFan
RIP Matrox

MatroxFan is still being judged by the masses

What is the recommended specs in the readme.txt file of Thief 3?
Originally Posted by Slappi
I bet you right now $100 you won't see a Dell machine with any high end ATI card in it even 1 DAY before Christmas.
eVGA 7900GT 256 mb
Gigabyte 6800GT 256 mb
Sapphire 9500 PRO 128 mb
Matrox G400 32 mb
Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo1 4 mb
Diamond Viper V330 4 mb Riva 128 PCI (NV3 core!)
Matrox Millenium I 2 mb
MatroxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 04:46 AM   #7
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sMashPiranha is still being judged by the masses

Can someone post some decent screenshots with AA and AF enabled? Most reviewers seem to be running MX440's or something.
sMashPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 05:31 AM   #8
Davidtao

Davidtao is still being judged by the masses

if u are using gf2 gf4mx or win98 of me,dont buy it, it doesnt support that kind or system.BTW..i played the game 2hours ago, so boring..just my opinion.
Davidtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 06:35 AM   #9
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

then i went and got painkiller so good a game all kill not boring at all too bad i flunked at school when they taught us how to write also very bad sentence english so good

Anyway, after a quick glance at the *cough*complete*/cough* version of the game I'm quite impressed at Ion. They've definitely gotten their act together and learned from the DX:IW disaster.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 06:40 AM   #10
systems
Radeon Northern Islands

systems is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by daPhoenix
Anyway, after a quick glance at the *cough*complete*/cough* version of the game I'm quite impressed at Ion.
I'm sure they'd be impressed with you too if you PAYED FOR IT. And people wonder why Looking Glass went bust...
systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 06:44 AM   #11
Ulysses 31
Radeon Northern Islands

Ulysses 31 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by daPhoenix
then i went and got painkiller so good a game all kill not boring at all too bad i flunked at school when they taught us how to write also very bad sentence english so good

Anyway, after a quick glance at the *cough*complete*/cough* version of the game I'm quite impressed at Ion. They've definitely gotten their act together and learned from the DX:IW disaster.
Yup but compared to the previous Thief games it suffers from the same syndrom Deus Ex(2) introduced: no big open areas, claustrophobic environment, cut into multiple zones that have to load.

Due to the compactness of the levels it isn't as convincing as Thief 1&2's levels IMO

Last edited by Ulysses 31 : May 28, 2004 at 06:48 AM.
Ulysses 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 06:45 AM   #12
skizatch
Radeon R100

skizatch is still being judged by the masses

Talking Thief 3, the real scoop

Being a longtime Thief fan (I own T1, TG, and T2), I bought Thief: Deadly Shadows on Wednesday from the cute girl at the Alderwood Mall EB Games. 40 bucks and I drove home as quick as possible.

Simply put, the game is incredible. It's ... Thief. It's not some piece of crap with a franchise logo on it for marketing purposes. ION Storm did not screw this game up, in fact they made exactly the game that should've been made. The games in this series have always had kind of a "wonky" game engine, so any comments regarding the movement, animation, graphics, or performance not being up to par are nothing new and not really attributable to the DX:IW fiasco.

Performance is good enough with my Radeon 9700 Pro at 1280x1024. It's not Ut2k4, but then again you don't need 60+ fps when you're taffin' around and sneaking about It at least feels smoother, or at least the framerate is more consistent, than it was in DX:IW (which I played all the way through). The graphics range from jaw-dropping great to wet-willy lame, but the latter is not distracting.

The only part that really feels like a "console port" is the fonts that are used on the menu and options screens. They look a bit low-res, but no big deal. It's the gameplay that matters. People complain about the loading zones, but they're really not a big deal. What matters is what when you play the game, you're immersed. You're enthralled and thinking about how to sneak past some guards to get upstairs, or where the owner of the house (or castle) might've hid some extra loot, or why Benny is such a dork (if you've played Thief 1/2 you know who Benny is).

So to summarize: Thief 3 is not a DX:IW repeat. IS has made a game faithful to the Thief series and I for one applaud them. I'm only on the 4th mission and it's been totally engrossing so far. I think I'm about 8 hours into it ... roughly 2 hours per level, in other words.

Anyway the demo comes out today (Friday), supposedly. Go download it if you're still not convinced!

BY THE WAY: Do not use the Catalyst 4.5 drivers with this game. Downgrade to 4.4. Otherwise all the lighting effects and shadows are messed up. Can't fully blame IS for that though ... Thief 3 was finished before Cat 4.5 was available! Don't know if you can blame ATI either, as Cat 4.5 was done before Thief 3 was available! It does suck, but at least there's a solution.
skizatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 06:49 AM   #13
skizatch
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses 31
Yup but compared to the previous Thief games it suffers from the same syndrom Deus Ex(2) introduced: no big open areas, claustrophobic environment, cut into multiple zones that have to load.
Thief 3's levels are about the same as Thief 1 and 2's. Lots of indoor areas, and the outdoor areas are similar in size or scope. Compare this to DX1 vs. DX2, where the older clearly had areas that the newer one just didn't. Hong Kong in DX1 was enormous --- however, recall that it was split in to multiple loading zones as well, and there was no console port until much later (PS2).

The original Thief games never really had big open areas, and when they did the performance was abysmal. Note level 2 in Thief II, "Shipping & Receiving." The game required a P2-266 but that level definitely over-taxed my P3-450 at the time. There were a few similar situations in the original Thief: big areas meant big framerate drop. The engine just wasn't made for them.
Old May 28, 2004, 06:50 AM   #14
Frazas
Radeon R520

Frazas is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
And don't forget the textures that look like they are out of a game from the year 2000.
Frazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 06:51 AM   #15
Ulysses 31
Radeon Northern Islands

Ulysses 31 is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Thief 3, the real scoop

Quote:
Originally posted by skizatch
Being a longtime Thief fan (I own T1, TG, and T2), I bought Thief: Deadly Shadows on Wednesday from the cute girl at the Alderwood Mall EB Games. 40 bucks and I drove home as quick as possible.

Simply put, the game is incredible. It's ... Thief. It's not some piece of crap with a franchise logo on it for marketing purposes. ION Storm did not screw this game up, in fact they made exactly the game that should've been made. The games in this series have always had kind of a "wonky" game engine, so any comments regarding the movement, animation, graphics, or performance not being up to par are nothing new and not really attributable to the DX:IW fiasco.

Performance is good enough with my Radeon 9700 Pro at 1280x1024. It's not Ut2k4, but then again you don't need 60+ fps when you're taffin' around and sneaking about It at least feels smoother, or at least the framerate is more consistent, than it was in DX:IW (which I played all the way through). The graphics range from jaw-dropping great to wet-willy lame, but the latter is not distracting.

The only part that really feels like a "console port" is the fonts that are used on the menu and options screens. They look a bit low-res, but no big deal. It's the gameplay that matters. People complain about the loading zones, but they're really not a big deal. What matters is what when you play the game, you're immersed. You're enthralled and thinking about how to sneak past some guards to get upstairs, or where the owner of the house (or castle) might've hid some extra loot, or why Benny is such a dork (if you've played Thief 1/2 you know who Benny is).

So to summarize: Thief 3 is not a DX:IW repeat. IS has made a game faithful to the Thief series and I for one applaud them. I'm only on the 4th mission and it's been totally engrossing so far. I think I'm about 8 hours into it ... roughly 2 hours per level, in other words.

Anyway the demo comes out today (Friday), supposedly. Go download it if you're still not convinced!

BY THE WAY: Do not use the Catalyst 4.5 drivers with this game. Downgrade to 4.4. Otherwise all the lighting effects and shadows are messed up. Can't fully blame IS for that though ... Thief 3 was finished before Cat 4.5 was available! Don't know if you can blame ATI either, as Cat 4.5 was done before Thief 3 was available! It does suck, but at least there's a solution.
Pretty much agree but things like the rope arrows, level intro movies with breifing are sorely missed in this game

And the levels have become pretty compact compared to the Thief 1&2 levels.
Ulysses 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 06:51 AM   #16
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally posted by MatroxFan
What is the recommended specs in the readme.txt file of Thief 3?
System Requirements

The minimum system requirements are as follows:

COMPUTER: IBM PC or 100% compatible
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 2000 or Windows XP (95/98/ME/NT not supported)
CPU: Intel Pentium IV 1.5 GHz (or AMD Athlon XP equivalent)
MEMORY: 256 MB system memory
GRAPHICS: 64 MB video memory, Direct3D 9.0, and Pixel Shader 1.1
SOUND: 100% DirectSound 9 compatible sound card
HARD DRIVE: 3,000 MB free hard disk space
CD-ROM: Quad-speed CD drive or DVD drive (DVD required for European versions)
INPUT DEVICES: Keyboard and mouse

The recommended system requirements are as above with the following changes:

CPU: Intel Pentium IV 2.0 GHz (or AMD Athlon XP equivalent)
MEMORY: 512 MB system memory
GRAPHICS: 128 MB video memory, Direct3D 9.0, and Pixel Shader 1.1
Old May 28, 2004, 06:57 AM   #17
skizatch
Radeon R100

Default Re: Re: Thief 3, the real scoop

Quote:
Pretty much agree but things like the rope arrows, level intro movies with breifing are sorely missed in this game

And the levels have become pretty compact compared to the Thief 1&2 levels.
Well I'd hardly pass on the game simply because a feature from the originals is missing (rope arrows). That features was not defining of the game, although it was cool. Intro movies were verrrry cool in the first two, and their absense is mourned but it doesn't ruin the game. I don't know that the levels are smaller though ... split up into 2 zones each, yes, but overall they're probably about the same size. Lots of tricky hidden and optional areas too, this ain't no Splinter Cell
Old May 28, 2004, 07:03 AM   #18
undernine
Da Blackhawks!

undernine is still being judged by the masses

i too want to get thief. I just picked up DX:IW for 12 bucks at target and i must say that i liking it a lot. I can see why its being criticized, considering it feels almost nothing like the original, but im enjoying it because it isnt like every other FPS out there. Back on topic, Thief looks badass.
The end of all progress. The death of evolution. It bleeds all life away. Silence speeds the path to the streams of solace that run so few and narrow. Brooks that babble the sounds of torture. You will one day rise. To flood the banks of the chosen. This is the art of ruin. This is the resolution. The end of all progress. The death of evolution. It bleeds all life away. I will teach you all that I have mastered. Fear. Pain. Hatred. Power. This is the art of ruin.
undernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 07:08 AM   #19
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

1024x768 full detail 4xAA and 8xAF

Doesn't run any better than Deux Ex 2 for me.
Old May 28, 2004, 07:16 AM   #20
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Screen shots are bright but I lowered the brightness on my side to get a better idea of how things look(or at last how my settings would look). It reminds me of DX:IW but with more stone and cooler lighting imho

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 07:18 AM   #21
skizatch
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally posted by Trunks0
Screen shots are bright but I lowered the brightness on my side to get a better idea of how things look(or at last how my settings would look). It reminds me of DX:IW but with more stone and cooler lighting imho
Don't forget to mention that the blue footsteps are for the training mission only!
Old May 28, 2004, 07:59 AM   #22
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Yeah, The newest version of fraps takes bright screenshots for me. I don't know why. It's pretty dark on my monitor when I'm playing the game.
Old May 28, 2004, 08:19 AM   #23
dumb1
Radeon Sea Islands

dumb1 is still being judged by the masses

Hey Fuku 2, those screens don't do the game justice. It looks a lot lot better than that. What card u running it on? Have u got bloom turned on?

Here are my thoughts on the game:

1. GFX: Excellent shadowing, bloom effect rocks, smoooooth fps, mediocre animation but nothing bad as some reviews claim.

2. GAMEPLAY: One word, 'AWESOME'. The game is truly amazing, i have never experienced this kind of tense atmosphere in any game yet.

3. SOUND: Amazing, best 3D positioned sound i've ever heard

4. LEVEL SIZE: Larger levels would've been nice, but it's a slight distraction from an awesome game.

ALL IN ALL: Best game i've played in a long long time.

Last edited by dumb1 : May 28, 2004 at 08:24 AM.
dumb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 08:23 AM   #24
dumb1
Radeon Sea Islands

Here's some more accurate shots:

Old May 28, 2004, 08:25 AM   #25
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

I just wish the game ran better than it does. I am using a Radeon 9700 Pro, my computer stuff (no slouch) is in my sig which you might have turned off in your options.

I haven't played the game yet, just part of the training mission so I can't comment on the gameplay.

I'm not using bloom effects.

The brightness of my screenshots make the game look worse though, it does look ok when I'm playing.
Old May 28, 2004, 08:27 AM   #26
dumb1
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuku2
I just wish the game ran better than it does. I am using a Radeon 9700 Pro, my computer stuff (no slouch) is in my sig which you might have turned off in your options.

I haven't played the game yet, just part of the training mission so I can't comment on the gameplay.

I'm not using bloom effects.
You doin't know what u're missing with bloom off. Even if u take a fps hit, leave bloom on.

What driver's are u using, cause I know others with a 9700 that run the game fine.
Old May 28, 2004, 08:33 AM   #27
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

I get 5 fps with bloom on with the AA and AF setting I have, not worth it. Maybe after work I will try AA off with bloom on. I am using 4.5 cats. I used another version of fraps for a screenshot and it was too dark compared to how it looks on my monitor.

Here's my specs for those who disabled sigs.

Athlon XP 3000+ Barton
Asus A7N8X-X
1024 megs PC2700 ram
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Cat 4.5)
40x12x48 Liteon burner,Pioneer 16X DVD ROM
28 Gig Fujitsu HD
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (Creative Inspire 5.1)
Enermax EG465P

See you in 14 hours.
Old May 28, 2004, 08:39 AM   #28
jws
Rage3D Veteran

jws is still being judged by the masses

Thanks guys.. I'm glad to see some opinions from people who have actually played the game. I found mine on my desk at work this morning.. can't wait to get home and load it up
3000+ barton / Abit NF7-S 1.2 / 2x512 Corsair DDR3200 / ATI Radeon 9700pro / Catalyst 6.2 / DX9.0c / TurboLink 420W PSU / Maxtor 120gig Z01P120 HD / Verbatim (NEC ND-3540a) DVD+-RW/R writer / Verbatim 40/12/48 CDRW / Initio SCSI controller / Samsung 955df / Windows XP Pro w/SP2 / Bytecc ME320U2 external USB2 enclosure with Maxtor 120gig HD

~~~
Multitasking - screwing up several things at once.
jws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 09:16 AM   #29
dumb1
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuku2
I get 5 fps with bloom on with the AA and AF setting I have, not worth it. Maybe after work I will try AA off with bloom on. I am using 4.5 cats. I used another version of fraps for a screenshot and it was too dark compared to how it looks on my monitor.

Here's my specs for those who disabled sigs.

Athlon XP 3000+ Barton
Asus A7N8X-X
1024 megs PC2700 ram
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Cat 4.5)
40x12x48 Liteon burner,Pioneer 16X DVD ROM
28 Gig Fujitsu HD
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (Creative Inspire 5.1)
Enermax EG465P

See you in 14 hours.
No wonder. Cat's 4.5's are horrible with this game. If possible use Cat 4.4's, they yield much better performance. Also, disable AA in the control panel, as AA is pretty much pointless when u have bloom on.
Old May 28, 2004, 09:18 AM   #30
dumb1
Radeon Sea Islands

anyone know if it's possible to enable EAX on a Sound Blaster Live! card?