Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Off-Topic Forums » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

"

Old Oct 2, 2003, 08:42 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
curio
It ain't easy

curio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Subscriber
Default The 'Homeless' Scam

Every day I go to work, there are at least 5 homeless people on the different intersections right off of the highway begging for money. Most of them look like they are really homeless, not to stereotype or anything, but the missing teeth and their crappy looks just add to the effect.

Well at the first corner for the last year, there has been the old lady sitting in a wheel chair with a sign asking for money. I've seen many people give her money over the year, and yet every day I still see her there. Sounds like you should feel sorry for her right? WRONG!

This morning heading for work, I had some extra work that needed to be done so I decided to go in an hour early. It is about 5AM and I am one of the only vehicles on the road. I pull off of the highway offramp, and I notice a big brown minivan parked on the side - which was a bit strange because it wasn't a good spot for someone to park.

As I approach the minivan, I see about 10 different 'homeless' looking people get out, and they all pull their signs from the back. Then I notice that old lady get out, go to the back of the van and pull out her wheelchair. She then walks over to the side of the road, pushing her wheelchair the entire way, and then sits down in it, grabs her sign (which says "Paralyzed, please help me! God Bless!")

I couldn't believe it. These people probably make a good profit every day off of this scam. So be warned the next time you give your hard earned money to some bum - he/she might have more money then you do.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 08:48 AM   #2
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Damm... you can't trust anyone...
Old Oct 2, 2003, 08:55 AM   #3
the_Vandal
Banned

the_Vandal is still being judged by the masses

This is what I need to do instead of real work...
the_Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 2, 2003, 09:22 AM   #4
huskylord
Beware the HR

huskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppershuskylord has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

video tape them and then call the local news.
Here in Toronto we had the same situation with someone known as the "shaky lady". she would sit in the middle of the sidewalk, shaking, trembling, begging...lot of people gave her money, food, clothes etc

and then one reporter filmed her at the end of the day checking to make sure no one see her get up, run to her son waiting in a car to drive them both to their apartment which apparently had a pretty decent sized tv etc.

I don't have a problem giving to homeless people, I just hate it when people choose to beg instead of doing anything else.
huskylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:28 AM   #5
Maelstrom
Emperor of the Galaxy

Maelstrom is still being judged by the masses

Thats messed up
40GB Ultra DMA HD
16x DVD-Rom
40x12x40 CD Writer
Radeon 9800 Pro
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:29 AM   #6
Maelstrom
Emperor of the Galaxy

Maelstrom is still being judged by the masses

video tape them and then call the local news.

No beat them up and take there money
40GB Ultra DMA HD
16x DVD-Rom
40x12x40 CD Writer
Radeon 9800 Pro
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:38 AM   #7
Shapeshifter
Rage3D Veteran

Shapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird sings

Default Re: The 'Homeless' Scam

Quote:
Originally posted by curio
Every day I go to work, there are at least 5 homeless people on the different intersections right off of the highway begging for money. Most of them look like they are really homeless, not to stereotype or anything, but the missing teeth and their crappy looks just add to the effect.

Well at the first corner for the last year, there has been the old lady sitting in a wheel chair with a sign asking for money. I've seen many people give her money over the year, and yet every day I still see her there. Sounds like you should feel sorry for her right? WRONG!

This morning heading for work, I had some extra work that needed to be done so I decided to go in an hour early. It is about 5AM and I am one of the only vehicles on the road. I pull off of the highway offramp, and I notice a big brown minivan parked on the side - which was a bit strange because it wasn't a good spot for someone to park.

As I approach the minivan, I see about 10 different 'homeless' looking people get out, and they all pull their signs from the back. Then I notice that old lady get out, go to the back of the van and pull out her wheelchair. She then walks over to the side of the road, pushing her wheelchair the entire way, and then sits down in it, grabs her sign (which says "Paralyzed, please help me! God Bless!")

I couldn't believe it. These people probably make a good profit every day off of this scam. So be warned the next time you give your hard earned money to some bum - he/she might have more money then you do.
get a baseball bat... and when she's walking her wheel chair to the corrner, whack her really hard across they legs.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:44 AM   #8
the_Vandal
Banned

the_Vandal is still being judged by the masses

Blackmail her for a cut of the profit.
the_Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:50 AM   #9
Phylter
Rage3D Veteran

Phylter is still being judged by the masses

I agree that you should video tape them and show it to the local news media. You should also call the police.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:53 AM   #10
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmSundance Kid V2 achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally posted by the_Vandal
Blackmail her for a cut of the profit.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 11:01 AM   #11
Okio
leh ar~ cheap jing!

Okio is still being judged by the masses

in hongkong people are even forced into that by the triads. i've seen mothers with babes begging for money with a 'watcher' not far off.
these people i feel sorry for.

those scamming, nono.
heck there are even a group of people who claim to be deaf pressing small cuddly bears into your hands, once you take hold of said toy they refuse to take back the toy. they play on your good nature and to give money (sign on chest). not far off there is also another 'triad'
there are even Monk who are infact not Monks.

Last edited by Okio : Oct 2, 2003 at 11:05 AM.
Okio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 11:15 AM   #12
Shapeshifter
Rage3D Veteran

Shapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird singsShapeshifter knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally posted by Okio
in hongkong people are even forced into that by the triads. i've seen mothers with babes begging for money with a 'watcher' not far off.
these people i feel sorry for.

those scamming, nono.
heck there are even a group of people who claim to be deaf pressing small cuddly bears into your hands, once you take hold of said toy they refuse to take back the toy. they play on your good nature and to give money (sign on chest). not far off there is also another 'triad'
there are even Monk who are infact not Monks.
reminds me of that family guy episode were petter is looking for a new job, and at an airport he is handing out stickers that say "please buy these im deaf" then one guy who petter pushs them into his hand starts talking to the guy next to him like "why the hell do I have to buy these just becuase this jack ass is deaf blah blah blah etc" then petter goes nuts on him, then realizses that every one is looking at him and he goes "uhh uuuhh I mean what?"

Old Oct 2, 2003, 11:41 AM   #13
Seek & Destroy
Rage3D Veteran

Seek & Destroy is still being judged by the masses

30 minutes ago I was down on campus and saw a guy on the corner with a sign saying...

"Why lie? I want a drink, please help out."

At least he didn't try to scam anyone

Seek & Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 11:54 AM   #14
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Umm.. Just now realizing that 99 percent of those people arent homeless?? True, some of those people may have some hard luck, but most certainly arent in bad shape.. Shoes and socks are usually a dead giveaway. Ragged clothes and all that, then he might be sporting a pair of brand new nikes, and fresh clean socks.. Yeah..

This is something "fun" we used to do.. Head down to your local "un"employment office, and pick up a handful of those booklets for helping to get a job or whatever.. See one of these people?? Roll it up a bit, and hang it out the window.. Guy or woman gets up or comes over to get it, and takes a look at it.. You get some dirty looks and a good laugh for you and your friends.. Lets them know that you dont really care about their scam and they should get a real job..

Besides, if they get mad or whatever, and kick your car, then call the police and go through those motions.. You handed out an employment booklet.. You were only trying to help out right?? heh.. He had no reason to be mad and kick your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 02:18 PM   #15
Fat_Daddy_Cool
Poundmaker's Descent

Fat_Daddy_Cool can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFat_Daddy_Cool can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I know what you are reffering to mate......

I had a similar experience. Sometimes I drive to my wife's work to see her and to say hello. Along the way there I notice that there are several youths that stand on the corners and hold the signs saying "Traveling no money, want to go home" or "No work Need Money Please help". I am by no means a heartless person I help where I can but one of these individuals comes up to my vehicle and asks for some spare change. It was a female with more piercing that I could count and she had braces. Well that just set off every alarm in my head. She asks for some spare change and I say why do you need spare change, you have about four hundred dollars in silver in your piercing and you have braces why don't you just go home and stop playing homeless. She shoots me the finger and tells me to **** off. It is at this point that I flash the badge (I was still a member at the time). I tell her that what she is doing is illegal. I question her right there and she admits that she is infact not homeless, that she lives at home with her parents and that this is an easy way to make some cash. She was 16 years old, I asked her if there were problems at home and she said that there was none. I wasn't on duty so this was not a collar. But I did take her name and details as well as a phone number which I later called to advise her parents that she was panhandling. Her mother was not happy.........
Fat_Daddy_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 02:32 PM   #16
Shady
Kinda like Jesus...

Shady is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat_Daddy_Cool

I had a similar experience. Sometimes I drive to my wife's work to see her and to say hello. Along the way there I notice that there are several youths that stand on the corners and hold the signs saying "Traveling no money, want to go home" or "No work Need Money Please help". I am by no means a heartless person I help where I can but one of these individuals comes up to my vehicle and asks for some spare change. It was a female with more piercing that I could count and she had braces. Well that just set off every alarm in my head. She asks for some spare change and I say why do you need spare change, you have about four hundred dollars in silver in your piercing and you have braces why don't you just go home and stop playing homeless. She shoots me the finger and tells me to **** off. It is at this point that I flash the badge (I was still a member at the time). I tell her that what she is doing is illegal. I question her right there and she admits that she is infact not homeless, that she lives at home with her parents and that this is an easy way to make some cash. She was 16 years old, I asked her if there were problems at home and she said that there was none. I wasn't on duty so this was not a collar. But I did take her name and details as well as a phone number which I later called to advise her parents that she was panhandling. Her mother was not happy.........

lolz!! HOBOWNED!!
Originally posted by Seek & Destroy
if 3dfx were alive today, we would have cards with nine thousand VSA-100 chips, rusulting in numerous chiropractor visits following installation.
Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 02:38 PM   #17
Shapeshifter
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat_Daddy_Cool

bah people like that deserve to be arrested.

Old Oct 2, 2003, 02:52 PM   #18
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

XSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally posted by Shapeshifter
bah people like that deserve to be arrested.
Yeah they should just lock em up for a few years amongst the worst of society, I can assure you they won't be playing hobo after that.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 02:52 PM   #19
SpongeBebop
Freedom Fighter Morgan

SpongeBebop is still being judged by the masses

"I got hit in the face with a shovel. Too ugly to work. God bless" -for me

"...mediocrity is what's rampant. Excellence is rare." -Don Cheadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
My spouse is in child support enforcement so I'll always be happily married. :)
SpongeBebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 02:59 PM   #20
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

XSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally posted by VW_Factor
Umm.. Just now realizing that 99 percent of those people arent homeless?? True, some of those people may have some hard luck, but most certainly arent in bad shape.. Shoes and socks are usually a dead giveaway. Ragged clothes and all that, then he might be sporting a pair of brand new nikes, and fresh clean socks.. Yeah..
Has it not occured to you that even if they aren't homeless (and I don't get where you got 99%) they might not be very rich, if that is the way they get money.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 03:03 PM   #21
norky
Radeon HD 6950

norky is still being judged by the masses

rofl @ hobowned.. someone needs to chop up some sort of pic for that
norky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 03:49 PM   #22
nomis_nehc
Rage3D Veteran

nomis_nehc is still being judged by the masses

Guys, this is old news. Such schemes have been going on for years now. My uncle was telling me how some "so-called-homeless people" even drive Mercedes.
nomis_nehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 03:50 PM   #23
curio
It ain't easy

curio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmcurio achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by nomis_nehc
Guys, this is old news. Such schemes have been going on for years now. My uncle was telling me how some "so-called-homeless people" even drive Mercedes.
It's not old news, it just happened to me this morning. Or do you consider this morning to be old news?
Old Oct 2, 2003, 04:13 PM   #24
Hamidxa
Banned

Hamidxa is still being judged by the masses

LOL

A few years ago at the restaurant/club/bar that i worked at (as a chef), I encountered two quite hilarious schemes.

Now that i think about it, it pisses me off (since being a college student, sweating, taking the heat of the kitchen until 2am in the morning), while homeless scammers were outside making just as much as me, if not more.

"Homeless person" # 1:

Would stand by the sidewalk, with a huge jar of pencils/pens (couldnt have cost more than a dime 0.10c each), selling them at a going rate of $1.00 per pen/pencil.

He would come to his corner at 7PM (when the crowds would start to gather), and then by 1AM at night (as i would usually be closing up), i would walk outside and immediately notice that his jar of pencils was empty, but his jar of cash was full.

Bastard probably made close to $100/night.

"Homeless person" # 2:

This one was pretty damn clever. Hilarious even.
One night, the so-called "homeless" folk were strong in numbers. So i see one of them hanging out around the restaurant again. About 4 hours later (around 9 PM or so, when the place is still relatively jammed), we started getting some complaints from some of our customers. Some of them were so loud that we could even hear them from inside of the kitchen where i worked in.
The complaints were all the same :
"Since when did you guys start charging for parking?"
"What in the hell? You guys force us to pay for parking now? Thats the last time im coming here"
etc etc.

Our poor manager was like :
"No no, you got it all wrong, you dont have to tip the valet, its optional"

The customers would reply:
"Tipping? Whos talking about tipping. We are talking about just parking the car ourselves".

Our manager looked outside and asked who was forcing them to pay. The customers pointed to whom they thought was the valet, but turned out to be one of the homeless guys.

It turns out that he was BLOCKING the parking entrance to one of our lots and was forcing customers to hand him $5 to get in. He made about $250 in 3 hours or so. As soon as he was pointed out and identified he took off like a thief in the night (literally). Man, $83 per hour. Surgeons dont even make that LOL .
Hamidxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:36 PM   #25
drspangle
Rage3D Veteran

drspangle is still being judged by the masses

Back in South Africa we used to have bastards that would go around the a whole bunch of tables in restaurants and hand out small fluffy animals and **** and then goto the next table without saying a word. You`de think, "thats nice" but then 10 minutes later they would come back demanding money for them. We would either: a) lie and say they didnt give us anything or b) throw it at them and tell them to **** off.

...bastards....

Anyway, and there were also 'syndicates' of beggars around my area, but don`t bother offering them jobs - they would all rather get 'money for nothing'. You would also get these mothers on at the intersection with 47 children running around with her for the sympathy vote - very dangerous and cruel to the children who are being kept from going to school and most likely starving and dehydrated from being out in the sun for 12 hours a day.

I also remember being stopped by a beggar on the way to Cape Town, he asked us for money because he was hungry so we gave him 2 sandwitches and as we drive off we looked back to see him throwing the food on the floor and wandering off...

Suffice to say, I have no patience for beggars and no longer care
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:51 PM   #26
curio
It ain't easy

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by norky
rofl @ hobowned.. someone needs to chop up some sort of pic for that

oh that's so bad
Old Oct 2, 2003, 07:32 PM   #27
Yeuemmaimai
Banned

Yeuemmaimai is still being judged by the masses

i can see why society is in the toilet just a little bit farther in we are in the sewer
Yeuemmaimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 07:25 AM   #28
roofy
Chopper Dave

roofy is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: The 'Homeless' Scam

Quote:
Originally posted by Shapeshifter
get a baseball bat... and when she's walking her wheel chair to the corrner, whack her really hard across they legs.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

sorry just visualize that happening....funny stuff
in my class, we were expected to learn how to use linux in an hour.
roofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 07:58 AM   #29
roAm
Puffy The Stoner Chipmunk

roAm is still being judged by the masses

lol, yeah...
i used to do that scam too
you'd be surprised how much sympathy you can get from a little charcoal on the face and matted-up hair
1024 MB PC2100 DDR, 2-2-2-6
ATi x800 XT PE(VIVO Pro --> XT PE mod) -- 475/475 36*C idle, 525/560 53*C full load
CREATIVE Audigy LS
340gb storage(200 and 80gb WD, 60gb Maxtor)
8x DVD+/-RW -- 40x CD-R -- 32x CD-RW -- 40x CD-ROM
Windows XP Professional SP2(installed 01|08|05) running Anzak's CATALYST COMPLETE BETA 3(04.12)
CURRENTLY PLAYING: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC II
roAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 11:39 AM   #30
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'VW_Factor once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally posted by XSBagage
Has it not occured to you that even if they aren't homeless (and I don't get where you got 99%) they might not be very rich, if that is the way they get money.
I dont think you actually read through that first sentence that you quoted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote