Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » More Discussions » Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support » Remote Wonder and Plug-In Discussion
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Remote Wonder and Plug-In Discussion ATI's brand new video card...err I meant remote control! Discuss the software and hardware, and show off your Plug-Ins in development here.

"

Old Mar 18, 2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
hal.wel
AIW 2006 Ed. (9600)

hal.wel is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation Remote Dead--USER Acct's ONLY--after Standby or Hibernate

I've upgraded from Remote Wonder driver 1.1 to 1.2 and now to 1.4, and still I have the same problem I've had since I bought it: It works great, no problems--until my PC goes into Standby or Hibernate mode. When I return from Standby, the remote doesn't work. I press buttons, nothing happens. I've checked TaskMan and it shows the driver software still loaded & running, but the remote doesn't work until I reboot. I've tried killing the driver apps & re-running them manually, didn't work; only thing that does is a reboot & a "fresh" driver.

I've seen others complain of the same issue for over a year, but ATI has yet to fix it despite two subsequent updates. Anyone know how to fix this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S./Edit/Repost w/updated Subject Line:

I discovered yesterday that this doesn't happen in Admin. acct's. I was logged in as Admin. (very rare 4me) checking out whether reattaching my receiver to my secondary USB Hub would make a diff., and lo & behold (I thought) that was it. NOT. Still doesn't wake up if Standby/Resume from User acct., and it does awake in Admin. acct. after returning the receiver to the USB port it was on initially.

This is total Deja vu: my first problem w/my AIW was Video on Demand only working in Admin. acct.; now here we are again with the Remote. This is the only device I have that doesn't wake for User.

Anybody have any idea why Admin. OK but won't wake up in User session? I suspect it has something to do with users not being able to (re)start some service(?) that has to be reinitialized, or something along those lines. I've given users write access to ATI's program folders, so it's not that. I've tried manually using an Admin. command prompt opened inside a user session (Run as...) to restart the X10 service, but it doesn't even show as running when everything is working, and is listed as a Manual service rather than Auto. And AtiX10.exe still shows up in Task Manager as running fine on resume; terminating & restarting it manually didn't restore functionality either.

Does anyone know what steps are taken at bootup to start the Remote? All I can find is AtiX10.exe in the Run reg. key for User, with no switches, and nothing remote-related in Run under HKLM. There must be some dll that's being loaded from somewhere else or something I've missed, since it doesn't seem that just running ATIX10.exe is sufficient to start the Remote service. (Aaarrggghhh, why isn't all the dll/service stuff centralized in atix10.exe??):

If this new bit of info gives anyone new ideas, or if you know how to restart the Remote service w/a batch file or script, or a registry key that might need user write-access...any input welcome.
Motorola SurfBoard cable modem (3-7 Mbps avg. on Comcast) + Netgear b/g Wi-Fi (+ HP hx4700 iPAQ)
WinXP Pro (v. 2002 (5.1, build 2600)) SP-2; DX9.0c

Last edited by hal.wel : Apr 7, 2003 at 08:26 PM.
hal.wel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 03:07 PM   #2
sbaily

sbaily is still being judged by the masses

Default possible solution to YOUR problem

My problem is worse, my computer never comes out of standby mode when the ATI Remote software is running. I just get a blinking cursor line on a black screen.

But I might have a workaround for your problem.
Whenever I've had problems with USB devices, restarting them using SnoopyPro seems to work well.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/

If you list the Usb devices, select the one that isn't working, and then select restart from the menu, it might get it working without rebooting the computer.

This has worked for me when USB devices show up in the device manager as not functioning properly. I used to have this problem with the remote, but after removing and reinstalling the driver it worked. I still have this problem with my printer (won't work at startup), but restarting the device with snoopypro gets it working.
sbaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 07:41 PM   #3
Muffzilla
Radeon HD 6850

Muffzilla is still being judged by the masses

Just wondering if guys have DirectX 9 installed. It used to happen to me and after installing DX9, it doesn't anymore. There was also a similar issue where the TV application would hang when trying to close it after resuming from Standby. If I remember right, the problem is caused by a DX file called Stream.sys. Hope this helps you!
Prolink PlayTV PVR TV Tuner
2 Maxtor 80 GB ATA 133 HD (RAID 0)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Pioneer DVD 106-S (Slot Load)
Plextor 12x10x32
Muffzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:37 PM   #4
hal.wel
AIW 2006 Ed. (9600)

Default DX ver.

Thanks, but I upgraded to DX9 right after it was released, DXDiag shows no prob's, v.9 fully installed correctly, and I verified independently that my stream.sys IS DX9 (5.3.0.900). Never had any problem w/TV crashing @ close, but have found numerous times when the app. (supposedly) closed but ATIMMC.EXE was still running in TaskMan, and locked up TV if restarted w/o 1st closing the "orphan" that was still running.

I've seen lots more reports of the crash on return from stdby. but I've been lucky not to have that prob. Still, I'll try the Snoopy program (if it's free).

Thanks for the input; sure is frustrating when you seem to be the only one experiencing a problem.
Motorola SurfBoard cable modem (3-7 Mbps avg. on Comcast) + Netgear b/g Wi-Fi (+ HP hx4700 iPAQ)
Old Mar 23, 2003, 08:17 PM   #5
Alpha
Tastes like chicken

Alpha is still being judged by the masses

Might be a motherboard bios issue..

Some motherboards turn off usb power when they go in to standby or hibernate (because of optical mice lights). You might be able to change a setting to keep the usb power on even in standby/hibernate
Old Mar 23, 2003, 09:55 PM   #6
hal.wel
AIW 2006 Ed. (9600)

Default BIOS? No.

Thanks, but unchecking the USB hub's power-down option didn't make any diff., and the RW has no power-mgmt. settings at all. The red light on the receiver has always stayed on whether the USB hub was set to or not, and the red light is still on after resume, but the transceiver either doesn't hear or is ignoring the remote. I also have other USB devices, incl. an RF wireless optical trackball, which function perfectly on resume. In fact, I can wake the PC with the wireless trackball, even with the power mgmt. on its hub enabled, but not the Remote no matter how the hub is config.

Woudn't make any sense w/Hibernate either, since the PC really does power down just as if it were turned off, after caching the RAM to the HDD.

Besides, I have a retail Intel motherboard, i850 chipset, Intel processor...and all the latest BIOS updates and OS patches etc., incl current Catalyst drivers—if ATI products aren't even compatible w/mainstream, Intel chipsets then we're all wasting our time (actually I've suspected that since I was first suckered into buying ATI 5 or so y. ago ....