Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 6, 2010, 03:38 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
so no Directx 9 and its on the xbox 360 and ps3? am i missing something here or can the 360/ps3 do dx10 now?

I think im going to reinstall BF1942.
Shh, nobody wants your logic or reason here. You're ruining the unreasonable hate fest for an unreleased product nobody's seen!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:10 PM   #92
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
WW2 will never be old in the Battlefield series. Hell no, in fact WW2 fits the format for the BF series better then any other genre.

Especially in terms of aircraft and ground attack.

The original is still the best and Forgotten Hope 2 for BF2 is another stellar achievement.

They could wrap some new graphics on BF1942 and I would play it in a second.

The one thing WW2 does better than any other time period is in its rifles and tactics. When soldiers are running around with long range rifles and assault rifles that are all over the place you have a dynamic battle space.

In modern combat is been dumped down so much, it's literally point and shoot with a Crayola bazooka.

Give me a WW2 BF Series any day of the week.
Agreed. WWII works 'cause of the slower pace, manual weaponry, and lack of advanced technology. Playing FH2, nothing seems dumbed down and it's very immersive and great fun. Admittedly, even the original BF1942 is somewhat comical in comparison to FH1 but BF2 is extra spastic and problematic from trying to implement modern weapons while drastically limiting their capabilities.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:39 AM   #93
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Shh, nobody wants your logic or reason here. You're ruining the unreasonable hate fest for an unreleased product nobody's seen!
I can only really think of one recent game which was on both PC and console and didn't feel "consolised" and that was Valve's Orange Box content.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 7, 2010, 09:21 AM   #94
Gerard
Rage3D Veteran

Gerard is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
I can only really think of one recent game which was on both PC and console and didn't feel "consolised" and that was Valve's Orange Box content.
Because it was made for pc then ported and changed some for consoles (the way it should be done as the more powerful pc isn't being held back by the limitations of archaic console hardware). Ea on the other hand like to do it the other way around, make a console the lead platform then port it to pc. Which means that the same textures, models etc usually get used on the pc and normally they look somewhat lower res\detail than we're used to. Same with the controls, look how bad the heli controls were on pc bc2 until they eventually tweaked them. Many people would argue that games on a console that are ported to pc suffer with accuracey and smoothness for the mouse.

Last edited by Gerard : Aug 7, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:52 AM   #95
anthony256
Radeon R300

anthony256 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
Because it was made for pc then ported and changed some for consoles (the way it should be done as the more powerful pc isn't being held back by the limitations of archaic console hardware). Ea on the other hand like to do it the other way around, make a console the lead platform then port it to pc. Which means that the same textures, models etc usually get used on the pc and normally they look somewhat lower res\detail than we're used to. Same with the controls, look how bad the heli controls were on pc bc2 until they eventually tweaked them. Many people would argue that games on a console that are ported to pc suffer with accuracey and smoothness for the mouse.
This.

Valve used the pc then ported. Much much much much better.

I personally would pay a premium if other devs did this.
anthony256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:46 AM   #96
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Everyone here knows Valve games are PC first and console second.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:38 PM   #97
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

xNaquada is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric View Post
Agreed. WWII works 'cause of the slower pace, manual weaponry, and lack of advanced technology.

Most people would call that BORING.

I dont want to fly a prop plane that is slow as ass and had a couple machine guns.

I want to fly a F35B screaming fast, have insane FAST dogfights and provide fast aerial support to my team.

Thank god WW2 games are out and dead.
xNaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:39 PM   #98
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

delete.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 01:49 AM   #99
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNaquada View Post

I dont want to fly a prop plane that is slow as ass and had a couple machine guns.

I want to fly a F35B screaming fast, have insane FAST dogfights and provide fast aerial support to my team.

Don't WWII planes go about 150mph though?

Not exactly slow.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:30 AM   #100
buckshot23
Radeon Caribbean Islands

buckshot23 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Not exactly slow.
A lot faster than that, by about double.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:41 AM   #101
Andy N
Radeon R520

Andy N is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Not exactly slow.
Most WW2 fighter planes had top speeds between 300 - 400 mph.
Andy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:16 AM   #102
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

Quote:

Not exactly slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot23 View Post
A lot faster than that, by about double.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N View Post
Most WW2 fighter planes had top speeds between 300 - 400 mph.

Seriously you guys im talking about in-****ing-game. Noones talking IRL, this is a game thread. A plane in BF1942 was a ****ing snail compared to a plane in BF2.

Worlds apart.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:56 AM   #103
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
so no Directx 9 and its on the xbox 360 and ps3? am i missing something here or can the 360/ps3 do dx10 now?

I think im going to reinstall BF1942.
The consoles have certain elements that are of the DX10 era. You could almost call the 360 gpu dx9.5 capable i reckon
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:55 AM   #104
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
A plane in BF1942 was a ****ing snail compared to a plane in BF2. Worlds apart.
Which fits the relative small airspace of the BF series better than a screaming jet that can reach the edges of the map in two seconds.

Since the battle space is a fixed size a slower more agile propeller plane is far better than a jet aircraft that hits the boundaries relatively quickly.

Remember how ridiculous it was seeing the F-15 flying by so slow that it was on the cusp of stalling. Just looked stupid.

Never the less BF has always been about the ground game and I'm sorry, I will always take the slow one shot rifle with short range assault guns of the WW2 series any day of the week compared to modern BF.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:15 AM   #105
mavman
True North

mavman is still being judged by the masses

As long as they do something about the flight models. The chopper in BC2 is seriously a piece of crap.
mavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:21 AM   #106
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Do you guys remember the mod release of Desert Combat for BF1942 and how hard it was to pilot a helicopter.

God I loved how hard that was to master.

Then again I would see some noob dive right in and before you knew it everyone was diving out of the way when it flew sideways right at you.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:28 AM   #107
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Do you guys remember the mod release of Desert Combat for BF1942 and how hard it was to pilot a helicopter.

Then again I would see some noob dive right in and before you knew it everyone was diving out of the way when it flew sideways right at you.
Yeah the DC helicopters were awesome. I loved how no one tried to take them, leaving them open for people who knew what they were doing. I got really good at it during the time. I feel they are better than the choppers we've seen since then.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:31 AM   #108
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavman View Post
As long as they do something about the flight models. The chopper in BC2 is seriously a piece of crap.
Yep, the choppers in the BC2 beta were a piece of ****. Awful to control compared to BF2.

It was hilarious though the first few weeks of playing BF2 when it was "all new" to players. You had a lot more players crashing jets + choppers on take off etc. My own personal trick was to parachute behind the enemy lines near the enemies' airbase, plant C4 on a waiting plane, retreat to a safe spot then watch a chap get in the plane, wait until he is just about airborne then blow the sucker up.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:35 AM   #109
Fricfrac
Pain Train Productions

Fricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFricfrac can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Absolutely! That **** was the best. I remember spending a whole day just practicing with the helicopters (singleplayer/bot match of course). I finally got the hang of it and flying helicopters in every single game since than has been easy cheesy!

DC was so awesome. My friends and I still talk about it to this day. We were just joking a few weeks ago about getting a few games going. I believe there are still servers out there.
Fricfrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:26 PM   #110
Auric
Bananad

Auric is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Which fits the relative small airspace of the BF series better than a screaming jet that can reach the edges of the map in two seconds.

Since the battle space is a fixed size a slower more agile propeller plane is far better than a jet aircraft that hits the boundaries relatively quickly.

Remember how ridiculous it was seeing the F-15 flying by so slow that it was on the cusp of stalling. Just looked stupid.

Never the less BF has always been about the ground game and I'm sorry, I will always take the slow one shot rifle with short range assault guns of the WW2 series any day of the week compared to modern BF.
Exactly! And in the same way, the capabilities of other modern vehicles and weapons were neutered to fit within the confines of both the maps and suppos-ed playability... but it just turned out more comical and annoying at the same time.

Quote:

Yeah, and the crazy thing is that even though the DC helos were something of hack they were way more maneuverable and fun than the floaty simplistic ones of BF2. Plus, more balanced: you could do more damage with 'em but they were more vulnerable too.

Quote:
Yep, the choppers in the BC2 beta were a piece of ****. Awful to control compared to BF2.

It was hilarious though the first few weeks of playing BF2 when it was "all new" to players. You had a lot more players crashing jets + choppers on take off etc. My own personal trick was to parachute behind the enemy lines near the enemies' airbase, plant C4 on a waiting plane, retreat to a safe spot then watch a chap get in the plane, wait until he is just about airborne then blow the sucker up.
Alas, it could only be played within the rules of the game like that early on whereas it soon turned to crap with imposed make-believe rules against various attack and defense on the majority of servers.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:33 PM   #111
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Know how i know you're a console player?

And WW2 games are definitely not out or dead.
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:25 PM   #112
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz View Post
I hope they keep producing them.. WW2 is never boring for me.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:27 PM   #113
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
I hope they keep producing them.. WW2 is never boring for me.
I'm a fan of WW2 games aswell. Bolt actions ftw
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:16 PM   #114
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

Quote:
Know how i know you're a console player?
You know how wrong you are? I don't own any console except a SNES.
Go play your slow planes so you can rotate/turn them with analogues and feel good about it.

And WW2 games ARE OUT. When was the last successful (+1Million sold on PC) WW2 game?

Back in the early 2000's every 3rd game was a WW2 derivative. The last "good" WW2 themed game I can think of off the top of my head was CoH. Call of Duty 5 (Treyarch)might have been good but from everything I've read COD4:MW was better and still has a much larger online presence.... (no doubt due to the consolification and utter stupidity of InfinityWard ****ing MW2 bad for PC)

I have no problems playing a WW2 game if its done exceptionally well, like the First Call of Duty/UO.

But at this point there is nothing fresh to breathe into WW2. All the gimmicks are done, tried and tested.

Even Wolfenstien (released approx a year ago) with its WW2theme bombed out really bad.(NO ONE plays this game anymore. Even the offical websites last update was LAST October)

You cant argue with the facts. If you prefer WW2 thats fine, but saying
Quote:
Sure they aren't. Name me some released in the last ~12 months that have active online communities and have sold very well(on PC).
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:59 PM   #115
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
And WW2 games ARE OUT. When was the last successful (+1Million sold on PC) WW2 game?
Funny how they are "out" and everyone loves them. Except you.
acidosmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:10 PM   #116
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidosmosis View Post
Funny how they are "out" and everyone loves them. Except you.
Funny that if "everyone"(lol 9 people on a forum...) loves them the market would be saturated with them, and devs would be making lots of money from WW2 themed games, instead of the exact opposite happening.

WW2 fatigue from last decade sucked, but it still here.

Feel free to direct me to some WW2 games that sold very well last year for PC an have a online community.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:03 PM   #117
Top Secret
Radeon R300

Top Secret is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Feel free to direct me to some WW2 games that sold very well last year for PC and have a online community.
You say that like three WW2 titles are released a week on the PC.
Top Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:45 AM   #118
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

In the BF1942 era WW2 games were the bees knees. And while I think most of us (I know I did) felt tired of them after awhile, I'd rather have tons of WW2 themed games then the spam of modern warfare games we are now seeing today.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:43 PM   #119
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

I want a sequel to 2142.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:06 PM   #120
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I think skipping DX9 is a huge time saver, as I understand it, DX9 on PC is very dirty and full of cap bits and IHV specific solutions.
They put a stop to that in DX10, so it´s mainly working towards the API and not making a ton of work arounds per different GPU series.

That coupled with the fact that most DX9 HW is by now quite old.