Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 1, 2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Cloning Mechanical Hard Drive to SSD?

I know it's not preferred, but I figured I'd ask the question to save me the time of a re-install.

I have a 1tb 7200rpm WD Black hard drive on Window 7SP1 64-bit that is my primary OS drive.

Is it possible to clone to a 960gb SSD? Any issues with turning on TRIM after the fact? Any other problems I may need to mitigate?

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2016, 02:19 PM   #2
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

As long as your cloning software is fairly new and supports aligning to 4k sectors, you should be fine. Shrink your Windows partition below the size of the SSD, clone, then expand the partition on the SSD to fill the disk. Auto-size cloning can leave wonky sized partitions...
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2016, 03:07 PM   #3
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/ssd-and...ve-cloning-kit

I got it for $9.99 from MemoryExpress.

If you don't want to purchase it there is other software you just need to make sure the drive is aligned correctly otherwise you run in to speed problems or worse.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:43 PM   #4
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The only time I've done this I used the included cloning software provided by Samsung. Didn't have any issues.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:02 PM   #5
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
I know it's not preferred, but I figured I'd ask the question to save me the time of a re-install.

I have a 1tb 7200rpm WD Black hard drive on Window 7SP1 64-bit that is my primary OS drive.

Is it possible to clone to a 960gb SSD? Any issues with turning on TRIM after the fact? Any other problems I may need to mitigate?
As seen on another current thread, Macrium Reflect Free is not just for backups, it will also let you clone disks all day long...you don't even have to shrink your source Windows partition beforehand (just as long as there's not more data on that source partition than can fit on the new drive), you can do it in Macrium to make it fit on the new SSD.

I've done this with Macrium at least 2-3 times this year.

Last edited by Talon_262 : Dec 2, 2016 at 11:09 PM.
Talon_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2016, 09:10 AM   #6
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon_262 View Post
As seen on another current thread, Macrium Reflect Free is not just for backups, it will also let you clone disks all day long...you don't even have to shrink your source Windows partition beforehand (just as long as there's not more data on that source partition than can fit on the new drive), you can do it in Macrium to make it fit on the new SSD.

I've done this with Macrium at least 2-3 times this year.
I 2nd Macrium Reflect. Great software.

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 16GB DDR3-1866 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - Corsair 600W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

5x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Dr. Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2016, 07:22 PM   #7
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

Thanks for all the feedback!

One really stupid question, because this doesn't make sense to me.

Do you really need some sort of special 'USB to SSD' cable to clone to one of these drives? I was just checking out the pricing of the Samsung 850 Pro at Amazon and the addition of "Include Installation and Data Transfer" (which from the Q&A I take is their Magician software on a CD and said USB cable) is a whopping additional $104.95.

Is there any reason you can't just hook up this drive to a SATA header on your motherboard and use, say, Macrium Reflect Free to clone? Hell, I even have an Orico dual eSATA hdd dock and I figured that was going to work. I'm just not seeing the reason for this expensive-ish USB cable Samsung is hocking or even the cheaper one that Hapatingjaky mentioned earlier in this thread just to clone a hard disk.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Dec 3, 2016, 07:49 PM   #8
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

SATA to SATA will work just fine.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2016, 08:14 PM   #9
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback!

One really stupid question, because this doesn't make sense to me.

Do you really need some sort of special 'USB to SSD' cable to clone to one of these drives? I was just checking out the pricing of the Samsung 850 Pro at Amazon and the addition of "Include Installation and Data Transfer" (which from the Q&A I take is their Magician software on a CD and said USB cable) is a whopping additional $104.95.

Is there any reason you can't just hook up this drive to a SATA header on your motherboard and use, say, Macrium Reflect Free to clone? Hell, I even have an Orico dual eSATA hdd dock and I figured that was going to work. I'm just not seeing the reason for this expensive-ish USB cable Samsung is hocking or even the cheaper one that Hapatingjaky mentioned earlier in this thread just to clone a hard disk.
That "transfer service" is way overpriced and totally unnecessary; if you have an open SATA data and power connection in your case (or can "borrow" one from another drive temporarily, like from an optical drive), that'd do fine, as will as your external eSATA dock. Just install Macrium Reflect Free, connect your SSD in your case or in your dock, and clone on.

Last edited by Talon_262 : Dec 4, 2016 at 12:53 AM.
Talon_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:47 PM   #10
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

My experience with this is of extreme sucktatude. I dunno if it was hardware or software side of things but a real time clone of a drive has failed me on a few occasions. Backing up and restoring however, same effect, has always been successful.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:51 PM   #11
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
My experience with this is of extreme sucktatude. I dunno if it was hardware or software side of things but a real time clone of a drive has failed me on a few occasions. Backing up and restoring however, same effect, has always been successful.
I'm not adverse to this.

So just create your backup of choice of mechanical drive with compatible hardware and use that to image the SSD? I don't mine losing a few hours of use. Truthfully, there is nothing much to be gained by imaging a live/shadow copy of a drive. I'll try to give this a shot. Sounds safer.

And while I'm at it, any thoughts on SSD firmware updates? Update before imaging and just let run without any activity for a few days to avoid potential bricking/failures? I've read several reviews that have stated that SSD firmware updates have led to failed/dead drives. Just want to make sure I'm taking the most productive course with updating my drive.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Dec 4, 2016, 01:44 PM   #12
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Yes, back up mech drive then restore the backup to the SSD. Start the backup at night, then the restore either the following night or start of a work day. When you return all you do is shutdown and unplug the mech drive. With Win 10 it will detect ALL Windows installs, I've still got a 7 install on a Velociraptor drive I can theoretically boot into.

On firmware updates, depends on the brand of drive. To do it: Format, boot Winders, update, make backup, restore backup, unplug old drive, watch Winders **** itself for a minute, enjoy SSD goodness.

I've done this on 3 SSDs so far, have yet to have one fail.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
Old Dec 4, 2016, 09:34 PM   #13
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Alternate tool for doing the cloning process, AOMEI Backupper. I use it allot and haven't had an issue yet.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:23 PM   #14
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

I've used AOMEI as well, great piece of software that's free. I've also used Acronis, which is good as well it came free with a SSD. The issue I've had, I've had with both.

bounty hunter
Quote:
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:51 PM   #15
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Acronis. Best software in town. Cloned my Windows 7 about 4 years or so back and that Windows is still working fine.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2017, 04:25 PM   #16
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Just wanted to say that I had success cloning my WD Caviar Black 1tb drive to a Samsung Evo 850 1tb drive using Macrium Reflect.

I created a bootable USB WinPE environment and the software did the rest.

One interesting issue that I didn't originally anticipate was that my BIOS was set to SATA IDE emulation mode and not AHCI. This majorly borked my first attempt at cloning. Upon checking my Win 7 reg keys, it seems that they were already set for ACHI so I'm not sure if was a BIOS issue or I just never followed through to turn on ACHI. Either way, I switched over my old drive to ACHI, booted fine, disconnected all drives except the SSD and my old C drive, cloned, shut down, disconnected the old C and swapped the SATA cables so the SSD was on channel 0 on my SATA3 controller and I haven't looked back.

Everything's running great at warp speed.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Jan 5, 2017, 06:13 PM   #17
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Just wanted to say that I had success cloning my WD Caviar Black 1tb drive to a Samsung Evo 850 1tb drive using Macrium Reflect.

I created a bootable USB WinPE environment and the software did the rest.

One interesting issue that I didn't originally anticipate was that my BIOS was set to SATA IDE emulation mode and not AHCI. This majorly borked my first attempt at cloning. Upon checking my Win 7 reg keys, it seems that they were already set for ACHI so I'm not sure if was a BIOS issue or I just never followed through to turn on ACHI. Either way, I switched over my old drive to ACHI, booted fine, disconnected all drives except the SSD and my old C drive, cloned, shut down, disconnected the old C and swapped the SATA cables so the SSD was on channel 0 on my SATA3 controller and I haven't looked back.

Everything's running great at warp speed.
Success!

Glad it worked out

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote