Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Nov 16, 2015, 09:26 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Intel’s Broadwell-E lineup to Feature 10-core CPU?

It appears Intel is busing working on its upcoming Broadwell-E line up of cpu's that might feature a 10 core (20 thread) cpu. I don't know about you but that gets the old juices flowing! Head on over to Ars Technica to get the rest of the details.

The successor to Intel's high-end Haswell-E CPU will feature up to 10 cores running 20 threads, according to a leaked set of specifications. While the specs remain unverified by Intel and firmly in the rumour camp for now, if true, the company will release four different Broadwell-E SKUs—one more than Haswell-E—starting with the 6-core i7-6800K, and ending with the 10-core i7-6950X.

The i7-6950X is the most interesting CPU of the lot, thanks to it featuring two extra CPU cores over Haswell-E. Like the i7-5960X it replaces, users will have to sacrifice clock speed to take advantage of all those threads, with the CPU running at a restrained 3GHz base clock and a likely 3.5GHz turbo clock. That makes it a less than idea choice for gamers, even with overclocking, thanks to games largely favouring single-threaded performance. The far-cheaper i7-4790K with its 4.4GHz boost clock often outperformed the i7-5960X in gaming benchmarks.

Source: Ars Technica
Old Nov 16, 2015, 09:51 AM   #2
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

10 core (multi-threading 20 threads)

I wonder what the cost that will be?
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2015, 01:06 PM   #3
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
10 core (multi-threading 20 threads)

I wonder what the cost that will be?
cores are ok but not used much

but the question is will a i7 6930k be 50% faster than my 2011 3930K ?

will it even be 25% faster
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:06 PM   #5
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

The question should be is the 10 core Broadwell 50% faster than my 8 core FX 9590?
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2015, 09:56 AM   #6
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
cores are ok but not used much

but the question is will a i7 6930k be 50% faster than my 2011 3930K ?

will it even be 25% faster
Faster in what sense? It may be in certain applications.

There hasnt been 50% jumps since conroe hit.

10 cores would really be nice for encoding, you can never have enough cores to shorten the time.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:01 PM   #7
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Faster in what sense? It may be in certain applications.

There hasnt been 50% jumps since conroe hit.

10 cores would really be nice for encoding, you can never have enough cores to shorten the time.
across the board, games and feeding sli/cfx

if they can't get 33%+ in three generations of the E line it is a useless upgrade for the cost
unless it has PCIE 4.0 I and that may not do much yet, can't see upgrading my intel cpu's

unless it is to AMD Zen if that works out well
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2015, 09:51 PM   #8
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
That would depend on the codec right? I always have 2 free cores encoding xvid.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:08 AM   #9
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
That would depend on the codec right? I always have 2 free cores encoding xvid.
It would depend on the program you are using to encode. Handbrake and Premiere/After Effects always max out cores no matter what the codec.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote