Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Default Why haven't SSDs gotten cheaper?

I'm trying to shop for SSDs and they are still the same price since last year. I got a 64GB SSD around this time last year for only 80 bucks. Now I can get the same 64GB SSD for the same price.

I'm sure that it's a bit faster but seriously, they haven't found a way to increase SSD production yet? Why not? I was hoping that 128GB SSDs would've easily become the norm with 256 SSDs being only marginally more expensive (ie around ~$200) but they are currently ridiculously expensive
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:11 PM   #2
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

They have gotten cheaper and faster.

Vertex 2 128GB a year or two ago with ~250MB/s (iirc?) was the same price as current Vertex 3 128GB which is around 500MB/s.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I paid $340 for my first 128GB SSD two years ago. I've bought two others that were each 40-50% faster for < $200 each. I would say they've come down in price and went up in performance.

Time to upgrade that mac.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:26 PM   #4
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Time to upgrade that mac.
Ha yer that might make a difference
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Roadking
Radeon R300

Roadking is still being judged by the masses

M4 128 GB 179.00 shipping included
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._SSD_2_5_.html

Paid 230.00 for each of my 2 C300 128 GB just 6 months ago

Last edited by Roadking : Sep 26, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:56 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

As stated, they have increased performance and capacity, but not changed the price points. This is intentional by the manufacturers, to manage their margins and their supply/demand.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:00 PM   #7
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
As stated, they have increased performance and capacity, but not changed the price points. This is intentional by the manufacturers, to manage their margins and their supply/demand.
But reliability seems to be going downhill. Seem to be a lot of SandForce issues.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:04 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Percentage wise, from what I can tell, reliability is up. Volume is way up, so reported incidents are up, too, leading to lowered reliability perception due to increased complaints. That is not to say that there are not firmware and process problems, too.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:23 PM   #9
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I think the larger ones have gotten cheaper and the sub 64GB ones have stayed about the same price. Sort of suggests there is some base line cost to make an SSD that isn't falling as fast as the memory. Some of the 256 GB drives are down to $1.50/GB. I am hoping the 512GB ones that around the corner can push it below $1/GB.

Last edited by aviphysics : Sep 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:26 PM   #10
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Percentage wise, from what I can tell, reliability is up. Volume is way up, so reported incidents are up, too, leading to lowered reliability perception due to increased complaints. That is not to say that there are not firmware and process problems, too.
And to make fun of my post about SandForce issues... I bought one after posting that.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:29 PM   #11
H001iGAN
Orzysz

H001iGAN is still being judged by the masses

I payed like $800 for a 256GB right around when they came out, It still works too, I use it as one of my games drives. I just want a 1TB drive with stupid fast speeds for under 1K so I can use a single drive for everything instead of a bunch of small ssd's and a hdd. small ssd's work too but once you're nearly filled up you have to deal with moving stuff around between drives, I just want to install everything in 1 spot and leave it there.
H001iGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:48 PM   #12
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Yeah they're still 128gb though. I honestly couldn't care less about "performance". My absolute crap 64gb Kingston SSD is light years about my 7200rpm drive in every way possible.

The whole 250mb/s vs 500mb/s is a bit of a hoopla in my opinion. The speed performance is already ridiculously fast enough to anyone to realistically care. Applications already launch within the ADD infused adolescent patience time (TM). The real problem I've seeing is the storage. 128gb fills up so quickly and 256 / 512 options cost an arm and a leg.

So is it just market gouging?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:05 PM   #13
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Yeah they're still 128gb though. I honestly couldn't care less about "performance". My absolute crap 64gb Kingston SSD is light years about my 7200rpm drive in every way possible.

The whole 250mb/s vs 500mb/s is a bit of a hoopla in my opinion. The speed performance is already ridiculously fast enough to anyone to realistically care. Applications already launch within the ADD infused adolescent patience time (TM). The real problem I've seeing is the storage. 128gb fills up so quickly and 256 / 512 options cost an arm and a leg.

So is it just market gouging?
I agree with you on the whole speed thing. I would rather see price per GB drop than a little more performance that I'll never notice.

That said the 256GB M4 has been selling for under $400 pretty regularly. I've seen a few other 256GB drives on sale at around the $370. You have got to remember they don't sell as many of these larger drives mostly due to the price so they kind of have to charge more. Its a catch 22.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 02:53 AM   #14
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

ragejg is still being judged by the masses

Yeah I really wish I could have gotten another 60gb Calisto Deluxe (Mushkin) by now, but the price has stayed relatively expensive.
ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:45 PM   #15
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

I think im going to be waiting a LONG time before these things come down to a reasonable price. I mean, I would look at a 500GB one if it were maybe Ł200, but that looks way off at the moment.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:50 PM   #16
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

What do you need a 500GB drive for? You could throw your os and most used apps on a reasonably priced 128GB or even 64GB and keep all of your games and what not on the F3 spinpoint and maybe all of your media on a 2TB. ****, I have four hard drives in my computer now not including my ssd.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:13 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

If you need SSD-like performance for cheap, look at the Seagate Momentus XT drives.

The nature of SSD storage is going to keep prices high as new technologies and processes are used, as well as ongoing development of firmware and controllers. It's similar to how hard drives evolved, except much faster, much cheaper.

The key metric to watch for SSD's is not sustained read/write speeds but random write 4k performance. When that hits 100MB/s, it'll be a hella fast everyday experience.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 02:21 AM   #18
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
What do you need a 500GB drive for? You could throw your os and most used apps on a reasonably priced 128GB or even 64GB and keep all of your games and what not on the F3 spinpoint and maybe all of your media on a 2TB. ****, I have four hard drives in my computer now not including my ssd.
My current "footprint" on my C drive is about 300gb, thats just installed games, programs etc. I have a seperate D drive, which stores all my images, music and other data. So if I want an SSD to provide the same experience, I would probably need one close to 300gb...?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:21 AM   #19
ATi VGA Wonder

I just bought a second Corsair Force GT 120GB. This time for $169 AR from Tiger Direct. I am going to attempt a RAID0 for fun.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:27 PM   #20
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} View Post
My current "footprint" on my C drive is about 300gb, thats just installed games, programs etc. I have a seperate D drive, which stores all my images, music and other data. So if I want an SSD to provide the same experience, I would probably need one close to 300gb...?
Do you need to install every game to your C: drive? Even now installing your games to a different drive would be a better experience since you wouldn't have to worry about Windows hitting the hdd while loading textures and what not. Most games don't really benefit from a SSD anyways.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:20 PM   #21
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Your post is self depreciating. You just said you have nearly 2TB worth of media.

I've stopped hoarding media after my university years, now I am pretty much hoarding material from work that is very meaningful.

Which means ideally I need a 256gb - 500 gb harddrive that is easily backed up.

Right now the SSD only gives me 128gb and I have to use an external for my material which then has to backed up to another external.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:32 PM   #22
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Your post is self depreciating. You just said you have nearly 2TB worth of media.
I also use my computer for an HTPC.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:35 PM   #23
gramboh
Casual gamer

gramboh is still being judged by the masses

Still haven't jumped onboard with SSDs, but I am planning on it for a new PC next Spring/Summer when Ivy Bridge comes out. I figure I want 256gb so I can install Windows, all apps and games on it. I use Steam and don't want to fiddle with managing junction points/symbolic links to move games around to HDDs. Right now my Steam folder is 216gb right now with a bunch of games not installed. I could probably manage to get it down under 100gb by uninstalling things I haven't played recently, but still, a 120gb is not going to cut it for me.

Hopefully the Intel Cherryville drives push down the prices on the 510 series.
1x Seagate 7200.11 1TB SATA2 + 1x Hitatchi 5K3000 3TB SATA3 (plus another two of same for offline eSATA backup)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer w/ Klipsch Promedia 4.1 and Sennheiser HD570
Antec P182B - Corsair 520HX PSU

Windows 7 Professional x64
3DMark Vantage: 22045 / 3DMark11: 4314

Netbook: Asus 1015PN (Atom 1.5GHz, 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD, NVidia ION2, 10in LCD, Windows 7 Starter)
Now Playing - Battlefield 3, Super Meat Boy, The Witcher 2, SHIFT 2 Unleashed, Jamestown, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2
gramboh is offline   Reply With Quote