Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

View Poll Results: Should one disable the pagefile on a SSD?
Yes 8 34.78%
No 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Default SSDs and Pagefiles

Should one disable the pagefile on a SSD?
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I leave it on mine. In fact the only thing I moved off to my 1TB Black is my steam folder and any games I install.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I read it wrong and voted wrong. Disable the pagefile entirely? or place the pagefile on the SSD? or disable the pagefile chunk (for those who still have multiple pagefiles) on the SSD?

I suggest having a single pagefile and place it on the SSD.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:32 AM   #4
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Leave it on, just make it small and have a lot of system memory.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:33 AM   #5
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I've heard on these forums to move it but I have also heard a lot of other ppl say leave it.. I left it on and sure it may shorten the life of the drive but wtf I bought it to speed things up so thats what I'm going to do with it.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:42 AM   #6
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The swap file gains huge benefits from the SSD. The faster random access times means it really screams.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:48 AM   #7
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I gotta say just having games and page file on SSD seems to really improve my gaming experience, not just in load times but in games like stalker or any other games that load stuff on the fly hitching etc is pretty much gone.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:33 AM   #8
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowhc View Post
I gotta say just having games and page file on SSD seems to really improve my gaming experience, not just in load times but in games like stalker or any other games that load stuff on the fly hitching etc is pretty much gone.
do you set it low, or do you allow the system to manage the pagefile?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I disable the pagefile entirely, depending on what you are doing anything over 6GB to 8GB memory is fine and you can disable it. But again it depends on what you are doing, you gove over that ammount of memory and the system will crash.

I notice a significant performance increase with it.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Qualitier
UltraRacer PC forever

Qualitier is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
The swap file gains huge benefits from the SSD. The faster random access times means it really screams.
Maybe, but you cannot see those benefits in form of anything (unless you're using something that really depends on the page file, I suppose, what doesn't seem to be my case anyway).

I say this because I once moved my pagefile to a RAMdisk, and I saw zero variation, positive or negative, exactly zero. Equal responsiveness, equal performance numbers in everything, equal everything.

According to Nero, that has an embedded drives benchmark (Preferences -> Cache), my disk partitions do about 100 MB/s each and the RAM disk 571 MB/s. No clue about latencies, but in theory it's DDR3-1466 8-8-8-28-1T RAM w/o tracks, heads, platters etc and I doubt they're in the ms range.

I've never used SSD's yet. I'm not saying they aren't worth it lol. My point is that the importance of a fast swap file is a myth as far as I've been able to test.

Windows XP 32 pro + Windows Vista 32 Ultimate, CCC + ATi Tray Tools
Club3D HD4890 Superclocked Edition (950/1050·4) with Accelero S1 rev2 + Turbo Module (2 80mm low-profile fans w/o frame)
LCD Samsung SyncMaster T260 (26", 1920x1200)
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (socket AM3, chipset AMD-790FX)
Phenom II X4 955-BE @ stock
4x2GB Geil DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24-33 1.5V @ 1333MHz 7-7-7-24-33-1T 1.6V; dual channel enabled; unganged mode
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 with gameport, AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Super007
2x WD 640GB Caviar Blue (SATA) in RAID 0, DVD reader (IDE), 2 DVD recorders (SATA+IDE), floppy drive, card reader
Corsair VX-550W, one +12V x 41A rail, 81-85% efficiency

Windows XP 32 pro, no CCC, ATi Tray Tools
Sapphire X1950pro 512MB AGP (580/702·2 MHz) with Accelero X2
CRT Nokia 446Xpro (19", 107 kHz) @ 1600x1200x75Hz (desktop) or 1280x1024x85Hz (games)
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA (nForce3 250); [email protected] MHz (motherboard limitation, 3216MB/s up + 3216MB/s down)
Athlon64 X2 5000+ Brisbane (@13*201=2613MHz)
2x2GB Buffalo 2.1V + 2x1GB Kingston 2.0V, both DDR2-800 [email protected] 2*373MHz (2613/7) 4-4-4-12-2T 2.0V; dual channel enabled
56k modem, drives etc
Corsair VX-450W, one +12V x 33A rail, 81-85% efficiency
190W maximum consumption from the wall (monitor apart)
Qualitier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:30 AM   #11
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
do you set it low, or do you allow the system to manage the pagefile?
2GB fixed and have 4GB RAM
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:36 AM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Put your adobe swap file on SSD. Put your windows swap file on a second rotation HD, especially if you don't have TRIM.

I have 200MB swap on SSD, 8GB swap on 7200.11 1TB drive.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:04 PM   #13
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Put your adobe swap file on SSD. Put your windows swap file on a second rotation HD, especially if you don't have TRIM.

I have 200MB swap on SSD, 8GB swap on 7200.11 1TB drive.
i sent you a PM:
Quote:
why?
i don't have a HDD, so should i still disable the pagefile?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:20 PM   #14
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
I leave it on mine. In fact the only thing I moved off to my 1TB Black is my steam folder and any games I install.
Your statement and vote do not appear to match.

I have a computer with an SSD only and I let Windows 7 manage it.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:47 PM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
i sent you a PM:
If you don't have another drive to put it on, it's quite a stupid question to ask. Windows and many applications just don't work well without any pagefile.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:52 PM   #16
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?
Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.
In looking at telemetry data from thousands of traces and focusing on pagefile reads and writes, we find that
  • Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
  • Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
  • Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.
In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...rives-and.aspx

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:51 PM   #17
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post

Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?
Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.
In looking at telemetry data from thousands of traces and focusing on pagefile reads and writes, we find that
  • Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
  • Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
  • Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.
In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...rives-and.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
If you don't have another drive to put it on, it's quite a stupid question to ask. Windows and many applications just don't work well without any pagefile.
now that we have established that I should use a pagefile on the SSD because it is my only drive, should i allow the operating system to manage it?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:10 PM   #18
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yes just let the system manage it. Vista and 7 both do a great job. Setting the swap file size will have no advantage at all and you will likely end up setting the size bigger than Windows needs. Let Windows do it's default thing and you will be fine.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:59 PM   #19
erek
Banned

this thread is as good as closed because i have received all the answers

Thank you everyone!

Under the circumstances of just a SSD:
  1. Leave the pagefile enabled.
  2. Let Windows 7 manage it.

Last edited by erek : Apr 15, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:19 PM   #20
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Whats a pagefile again???

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:00 PM   #21
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Your statement and vote do not appear to match.
Oh, damn you're right. I read that as should I leave my pagefile on the ssd. My vote is invalid. Thanks for pointing that out.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:08 AM   #22
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

I keep my pagefile on my raid array on it's own partition at the beginning of the array. I don't like to keep a system managed partition because of drive thrashing and on a partition with other data it tends to causes a lot of fragmentation.

What size do you guys set your page file?

Quote:
now that we have established that I should use a pagefile on the SSD because it is my only drive, should i allow the operating system to manage it?
I would keep a set size since it should cause less drive wear.

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ : Apr 16, 2010 at 07:13 AM.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:03 PM   #23
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
What size do you guys set your page file?
Only 1 GB since I have 8giggles of ramz.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote