Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
fanATIc
Radeon R520

fanATIc is still being judged by the masses

Default new build

what would u change?

HDD Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136319

motherbord JetWay JHA07-ULTRA-LF $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153125

Ram G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166

GPU SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB $225

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102801

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 940 $229

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103471

for about $770 after shiping

(and I have an OCZ StealthXStream 700w PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341019 )

And yea yea I know i can't spell!
fanATIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:12 AM   #2
RadeonBBQ
touchdown.

RadeonBBQ is still being judged by the masses

I have a gut feeling I should've gotten a Phenom 2 940 over my i7 920.

Also for that price on the hard drive, if you do some looking you could probably find a 1TB for ~10 dollars more.
HP W2207
1TB+500GB Seagate Barracuda
Corsair HX1000W
Visiontek HD4870X2

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/588819.png

Last edited by RadeonBBQ : Feb 7, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
RadeonBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, the Phenom II's are actually pretty good, especially for gaming, though certainly not as quick as the i7 overall, but far cheaper.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 7, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
fanATIc
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonBBQ View Post

Also for that price on the hard drive, if you do some looking you could probably find a 1TB for ~10 dollars more.

well Ive done some reading on it and to me it sounds like the wd 640 uses their 320gb platers boosting the density and the speed of the drive since the heads dont have to travel as far. fewer platers means less of a workload for the motor. that and the 1TB blacks are out of stock.

I could always add a 1TB down the road if I neeed the storage.

now im just not sure if 8gb of ram is worth it though. seams ive read people having truble when all the ram slots are taken. Hmm.

Old Feb 8, 2009, 05:45 PM   #5
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Again I see somebody getting G.Skill RAM when its no cheaper than known brand, high quality RAMs. I'd do more research on RAm and see if you can't get something better for the same or less.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Again I see somebody getting G.Skill RAM when its no cheaper than known brand, high quality RAMs. I'd do more research on RAm and see if you can't get something better for the same or less.
G.Skill makes some very good RAM. Used it in several builds now, and it always delivers on the specs listed.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:09 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Why isn't G.Skill considered a known brand and high quality? I've seen way more problems with Corsair XMS than any G.Skill, but that might be anecdotal.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Blacklash
Che cazzo stai dicendo?

Blacklash is still being judged by the masses

AM3 motherboards are out now and the CPUs will be following soon-

https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-790XT4P

Ram would be 60 bucks a stick if you want DDR 3 1600 2x2Gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146872

If you went with 1333 ram instead you could knock it down to 45usd a sitck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148221

That's a very good hard disk you selected for the price. You might want to RAID a couple. If I were getting an AM3 CPU myself I'd grab the 945 or 925.

Last edited by Blacklash : Feb 8, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 01:33 AM   #9
TheNGTV
EGG

TheNGTV is still being judged by the masses

CPU Change.

Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
Will go up to Newegg in a few days, selling at 140-145USD.

You save 100USD while getting the same/better overclockability, and do not lose performance in most games (they mostly max out at 3 threads)
TheNGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:18 AM   #10
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNGTV View Post
CPU Change.

You save 100USD while getting the same/better overclockability, and do not lose performance in most games (they mostly max out at 3 threads)
Well, then wouldn't you loose some performance thanks to the OS then?
When I load up Crysis Warhead (since it really does have only 3 active threads) I set cores 0,1,2 as "Crysis.exe assigned". All others threads have their affinity re-assigned to Core 3.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:53 AM   #11
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have the Phenom II 720 running at the office and can tell you for the money it is an AWESOME chip. Out of the box at stock speeds it is faster in most things than a 9950 and I was able to overclock it to 3.3 Ghz with no voltage bump.

According to the game designers I have spoken with the whole grail of EFFECTIVELY using more than 2 cores in gaming has not yet been reached. What this means is from one to two cores most games see a SERIOUS performance boost. Any move beyond two might see an increase but the ratio of increase is minor compared to the move from one to two.

For the overwhelming majority of users the Triple core is a very attractive buy. It delivers better mutlitasking performance than the dual core and does not move the rpcie up to the level of the quad.

In fact with the recent price cuts even the budget systems I now build are based on the triple core, I see no reason to put in a dual excpet in the most extreme of cost reducing cases.

As for the AM3 motherboards, I personally would hold off right now. DDR3 does not show enough performance boost to justify the cost difference in my opinion and the AM3 boards are still built off the 790 chipset. I personally am gholding on DDR3 to see what the newer chipsets will offer and for DDR3 price to drop.

#SapphireNation

Last edited by Crisler : Feb 9, 2009 at 06:55 AM.
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:38 AM   #12
TheNGTV
EGG

TheNGTV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Well, then wouldn't you loose some performance thanks to the OS then?
When I load up Crysis Warhead (since it really does have only 3 active threads) I set cores 0,1,2 as "Crysis.exe assigned". All others threads have their affinity re-assigned to Core 3.
Crysis is reportedly single/double threaded.

The only engines that use Core 3 and above extensively are MT-Framework (DMC4, RE5, Lost Planet), Source (L4D and later), Unreal Engine 3 and GTA4's RAGE (irony).
TheNGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 02:17 PM   #13
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Why isn't G.Skill considered a known brand and high quality? I've seen way more problems with Corsair XMS than any G.Skill, but that might be anecdotal.
Two things. One the fact that they are rather new to the game and two, that they have positioned themselves as budget RAM with their pricing. Which makes me wonder what would ever happen should you need to RMA their RAM. I know how the other guys handle it. That sort of thing. I don't like spending good money on everything in a rig and then making one part a question mark. Maybe G.Skill is beginning to prove themselves, but until I've heard more I won't be waving their banner.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old Feb 9, 2009, 02:53 PM   #14
Dawg
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dawg is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Two things. One the fact that they are rather new to the game and two, that they have positioned themselves as budget RAM with their pricing. Which makes me wonder what would ever happen should you need to RMA their RAM. I know how the other guys handle it. That sort of thing. I don't like spending good money on everything in a rig and then making one part a question mark. Maybe G.Skill is beginning to prove themselves, but until I've heard more I won't be waving their banner.
G.Skill's been selling RAM since 1989. Seems to me like the top RAM makers recommended by overclockers is probably G.Skill and Corsair. OCZ being 3rd maybe.

Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 03:10 PM   #15
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
New to the game? G.Skill has been around for a long time..
They do not position themselves with budget ram pricing.. they have DDR2 1200Mhz selling @ 247.99 USD.. thats not budget at all.

Their ram performs amazing for the money you pay.. I dunno why you've never heard of G.Skill before.. an older company for sure.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 03:41 PM   #16
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The only ram I trust is G.skill.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 05:16 PM   #17
{0}Salamander{0}
Radeon Man Returneth

{0}Salamander{0} is still being judged by the masses

Ive used Corsair now for a good while.

I managed to get a 100Mhz overclock on the XMS2 range, 800Mhz running at 900Mhz with just a .5 voltage boost.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 06:07 PM   #18
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Whats G.Skill's RMA warranty? Any idea about how they are on that stuff? Warranty is a HUGE part of my decision making on RAM, which is why I used OCZ.

Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Blacklash
Che cazzo stai dicendo?

Blacklash is still being judged by the masses

I've never had a problem with G. Skill either. I've also had luck with both Mushkin and Crucial. When my old Ballistix ram crapped out on me some time back Crucial hooked me up with replacements quickly and painlessly. My old Muskin DDR 2 800 ram I had was great. That stuff would do 1150 on P965.

Last edited by Blacklash : Feb 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:58 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Whats G.Skill's RMA warranty? Any idea about how they are on that stuff? Warranty is a HUGE part of my decision making on RAM, which is why I used OCZ.
I can't recall any horror stories, nothing from reading forums regarding their support/process. I'm sure they have bad support examples like everyone else.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:15 PM   #21
Briner
Goku could beat Superman

Briner is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Lifetime i believe. I rma'd some ram back and they were quick and responsive. I have no problems with gskill
Old Feb 10, 2009, 01:52 PM   #22
fanATIc
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNGTV View Post
CPU Change.

well I plan on having this set up for 3 or 4 years. so the 4th core will probably be used by then. even this year the 2 games im looking at ARMA2 and OFP2 will be CPU heavy.

Ive used G'skill befor and liked it stable/cool and a not such a bad OC.

as for DDR3 meh I can buy 8gigs of DDR2 for less then 4gigs of DDR3.

when I do upgrade again I will just build a new system. and do as I allways do give my old one away or use it as a file server.

Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:54 PM   #23
fanATIc
Radeon R520

well I ordered everything now just to sit and wait and wait then wait some more.

hmm maybe I need a new monitor too

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=320-7825

any one have any reviews for this? mostly for gaming/watching movies

Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:48 PM   #24
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Old Feb 13, 2009, 03:02 PM   #25
fanATIc
Radeon R520

thats not an IPS panel is it though?

Old Feb 13, 2009, 03:27 PM   #26
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

You'll have to find that out for yourself, I don't know.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 03:38 PM   #27
fanATIc
Radeon R520

yea it seams that the 2343BWX 23 is a TN so I think ill pass on it. ive never seen a TN panel that ive liked. and the PVA and IPS ones i looked at cost 3x the price.

I know the 2209 WA just came out and its an IPS for $300. but im not sure if it is just such a cheap IPS that its almost like a TN or if its worth a look.