Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 6, 2003, 12:42 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
PreservedSwine
When's dinner?

PreservedSwine is still being judged by the masses

Question Disk Boot failure???

Came home to find my computer frozen.....hit the re-set button, and it got a disk-boot failure mssg...prompting me to put in a boot disk in drive A......No other drives were accesable through DOS.......

Anyway, I don't have a boot disk, and after checking to make sure all my connections are good, still got the same mssg. I ran my maxtor drive tool program, and My HDD checked out ok there, but still won't boot in windows..

Turn it off for a few hours, and BINGO, everyhting seems normal, but HDD performance seems a bit slow and sluggish...ran de-frag- no differences.....

Does this sound like a dying HDD, or maybe a virus? This HDD is less than a year old (Maxtor 60GB), but I understand these things may happen...what should I do? Lot's of valubale stuff on this HDD....
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government—lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 02:23 PM   #2
{D0om}DEATH
Radeon R600

{D0om}DEATH is still being judged by the masses

well first if theres lots of important stuff ont he drive back it up while you can. does sound like possible harddrive problem is the drive making any odd noises?
{D0om}DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 02:30 PM   #3
Cogar
Radeon R300

Cogar is still being judged by the masses

To me, it sounds like you are starting to lose your power supply, although losing your HDD is a possibility. Heat could also be a factor so another case fan or two might help (depending on your setup, which may be OK).
Cogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad