Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Default Vista: Will it require activation?

Because if it will, then it means I won't buy it.

What if I dont have internet access when I reinstall Windows?

I just can't pay for software that requires me to call the company each time I reinstall it.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have 2 computers. i REFUSE to buy 300.00 in OS. (guessing Vista will be 150.00 USD each) I mean, i could buy a new processor with that , or a sweet ass pair of speakers! I just think they should continue to work on XP, give XP the ability of DX-10. DRM sucks ass.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Mr_Skinny
Meh

Mr_Skinny is still being judged by the masses

I hope not, activation is the work of Satan.

I once moved a network card from one pci slot to another and on restart I had to re-activate
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:00 PM   #4
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Of course it will have activation. The betas and CTPs do already.

There's a LOT of fud going around about Vista, but the reality is it's shaping up to be a very sweet OS.

Last edited by Greasy : Apr 14, 2006 at 09:28 PM.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Fat Jez
Radeon Evergreen

Fat Jez is still being judged by the masses

The ultimate and business editions won't feature activation, IIRC.

Cheers,
Jez
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:59 PM   #6
FloppyDonkeyDick
4870x2 RIP

FloppyDonkeyDick is still being judged by the masses

is there any way around activations on vista beta 5308
FloppyDonkeyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:08 PM   #7
Razmadaz
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Razmadaz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy
Of course it will have activation. The betas and CTPs do already.

Don't worry they're going to be releasing DX10 for XP. The DRM isn't going to be that bad either.

There's a LOT of fud going around about Vista, but the reality is it's shaping up to be a very sweet OS.
... Sweet ? How ? And don't talk about the 'graphics upgrade' please because I, and a million other people, are going to go straight for the "Make my damn Windows look like Win2K button"

grrr....
Razmadaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:09 AM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

more secure out of the box, more security management options for users, easier to use driver architecture for developers (ok so this is dx10), more integration for lifestyle apps (messengers, online sharing, etc), better support for 64bit processors, etc.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:11 AM   #9
MikeEx
ಠ_ಠ

MikeEx is still being judged by the masses

"windows has detected mouse movement and needs to be re-activated to continue"

Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:27 PM   #10
Razmadaz
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Razmadaz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim
more secure out of the box, more security management options for users, easier to use driver architecture for developers (ok so this is dx10), more integration for lifestyle apps (messengers, online sharing, etc), better support for 64bit processors, etc.
I dunno, I'll stick to XP until I'm forced to switch, then, it's off to Linux land ... already two boxes are running it just fine. Or, even better, maybe Mac OSx ...
Razmadaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:49 AM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Well, you won't be 'forced' to switch until an application is released that only works on Vista and nothing else; and that's going to be a looong time.

I'll probably dual boot XP & Vista.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:18 PM   #12
chano
Radeon R520

chano is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmadaz
... Sweet ? How ? And don't talk about the 'graphics upgrade' please because I, and a million other people, are going to go straight for the "Make my damn Windows look like Win2K button"

grrr....
So true, they are spending so much time with this new look and there are so many people that will never use it.
chano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:14 PM   #13
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz
I have 2 computers. i REFUSE to buy 300.00 in OS. (guessing Vista will be 150.00 USD each) I mean, i could buy a new processor with that , or a sweet ass pair of speakers! I just think they should continue to work on XP, give XP the ability of DX-10. DRM sucks ass.
Umm, you'd buy a processor yet refuse to buy the software to make it work? That doesn't make any sense.

People who download the O/S without buying make me mad, if anything that should be the least you buy, since it is the very basis of everything you do.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 01:36 AM   #14
chadro
[tR3D]kount_n00bula

chadro is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyDonkeyDick
is there any way around activations on vista beta 5308
Yes,, disable 2 services:

-press Windows Key+R
-type MSCONFIG
-disable Software Licensing
-disable SL UI Notification Service
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:24 AM   #15
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

a12ctic is still being judged by the masses

There most definatly will be, and it may be up to 20 letters longer than xps, and at least 10
a12ctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 05:24 PM   #16
MakeMyDay
Radeon R520

MakeMyDay is still being judged by the masses

Anybody that has done some serious research on Vista knows that it has major improvements.

They just show off the visual stuff because that is what most users care about. Do you think that you mom would care about the new driver ethics? I doubt it.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 06:57 PM   #17
genci88
lololololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic
There most definatly will be, and it may be up to 20 letters longer than xps, and at least 10
What? I don't see how adding more digits helps. I actually don't see how activation helps AT ALL against piracy.

Even worse, what if MS goes bankrupt in the future? How will we be able to activate Windows?

But why am I bothering myself with these questions... I won't buy Vista anyway, if it will require activation.

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 07:42 PM   #18
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

Ya, i really cant belive their not asking for your credit card number yet lol
Old Apr 14, 2006, 09:02 PM   #19
[email protected]
Radeon R600

AMD_G@y is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadro
Yes,, disable 2 services:

-press Windows Key+R
-type MSCONFIG
-disable Software Licensing
-disable SL UI Notification Service
and doing so you lose out on the most hyped feature, being the Aero interface (glass like transparency).
AMD_G@y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:57 AM   #20
JonP01
Radeon R300

JonP01 is still being judged by the masses

I was really quite concerned when activation arrived, but after 5 years of it, I have not had one problem or issue with it yet. I did get worried a few weeks ago though with Mum's copy of Office 2003. I bought her the full retail copy of Office 2003 so I could have her old, full retail copy of Office XP. I installed Office 2003 on her machine (original activation) then the hard drive died. So I installed it again (2nd activation) then a month later the mainboard died.

I then built her a completely brand new PCIe computer from the ground up. I could not automatically activate Office 2003 a third time. I rang the MS number and got put through to this lady who appeared to be based in the US. I just explained the hardware problems I had had, confirmed the product was only installed on the one computer and was good to go again.

I guess this does raise the question about how well the activation prevents piracy. I don't know what the answer is though. If MS were ever to refuse a genuine request for reactivation, then all heck would break lose and the internet would be flooded with the story. So I do wonder about those unfortunate situations where genuine, repeated installs might be required. If someone is a pirate, then they probably won't suffer a bout of moral conscience when the operator at MS asks them if the product is only being installed on the one machine.

Still, I tend to play it safe nowadays, in that I will thoroughly burn a machine in for at least a week before activating the OS (or anything else). That way, if a component fails which might result in a new reinstall, I won't have lost an activation. I also only use enterprise quality hard drives (i.e Raptor or RE2), since I feel it improves my chances of avoiding a hard drive failure.

I think the computer that I build myself for Vista will have a RAID 1 array. Hopefully then, if one drive fails, slipping in another one of the same make and model hopefully won't require me to use an activation.
JonP01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 02:13 AM   #21
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I hate the fact that it runs out after 5 activations... So i always have to keep phoning up and wasting 20 mins waiting for a code they will give me anywho. They don't ask why you're getting it again or anything they just ask for the code and then go straight to giving you yours.

I mean why bother seeing as they don't .

Activation is what made me download the coperate edition of xp. Though i do have like 5 original copies. 2 retail 3 oem. We never use those though because of the phoning crap.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 08:02 PM   #22
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

The activation is what pushed me into linux in the first place, sometime in 2002 my mainboard died, i replaced it and windows wouldnt activate, after deciding i didnt need that **** i got a copy of debian and have been windows free except when a new game comes out, then i may install a 30 day windows trail.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:54 AM   #23
movieman
Radeon Northern Islands

movieman is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Anybody that has done some serious research on Vista knows that it has major improvements.
I've used Vista and the only way I'll buy it is when XP is no longer available... even then I'd only be buying it because so much of my software won't run on a Mac.

Quote:
more secure out of the box,
That's what they said about XP too, and probably every OS they've released since Win 3.1. You'd think that would be long enough to actually produce a reasonably secure OS.

Quote:
more security management options for users, easier to use driver architecture for developers (ok so this is dx10), more integration for lifestyle apps (messengers, online sharing, etc), better support for 64bit processors, etc.
So what Microsoft are basically saying is that XP sucks but, trust us, Vista will be so much better!
movieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:07 AM   #24
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

Vistas gona flop, if they add all the stuff they want to its going to be buggy, if they dont its gona be the same as xp...
Old Apr 19, 2006, 08:02 AM   #25
trollfan

trollfan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by chano
So true, they are spending so much time with this new look and there are so many people that will never use it.
indeed!
take a look at this , this is how a OS could look. looks like vista is left behind already?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=linux&pl=true
trollfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:08 AM   #26
Hatecrime69
Radeon Evergreen

Hatecrime69 is still being judged by the masses

From what i've heard so far in vista (changes in how drivers act for video cards and such) it sounds like there are defnite upgrades, of course the problem everybody has with it (myself included) is are the updates worth 'trusted computeing' and all the other tag lines that mean worry and consern to us who know what we are doing in the computer world.

I'm gonna say it defnitly will have activation, and it probalby will be more of a hassle than in xp.

As someone who felt eventually forced to go to win xp from 98 (main reason being frequent crashing) i'm holding on to xp for as long as i can, and if i have to, i'll give up pc gameing in favor of console gaming. But i woudln't put it past micro$oft one day to have something pop up on my computer saying 'Your version of windows is outdated, please update' and have a link to purchase vista...
Hatecrime69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:44 PM   #27
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollfan
indeed!
take a look at this , this is how a OS could look. looks like vista is left behind already?

Compairing linux to windows isnt fair, linux has inovation...
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:33 PM   #28
genci88
lololololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollfan
indeed!

Holy crap, that looks awesome.

I would switch to linux in a snap, if could use my "made for windows" programs there.

Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:40 PM   #29
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci88
Holy crap, that looks awesome.

I would switch to linux in a snap, if could use my "made for windows" programs there.
QFT!

That video is enough for me to convert to linux. However isn't linux open gl based? Which kinda kills 95% of my games

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:42 AM   #30
Hatecrime69
Radeon Evergreen

Hatecrime69 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Baron
QFT!

That video is enough for me to convert to linux. However isn't linux open gl based? Which kinda kills 95% of my games
Yea, linux uses opengl for games, witch stinks but it's not like they had a choice in the manner, priortiy formats suck!
Hatecrime69 is offline   Reply With Quote