Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:27 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dreven
Rage3D Veteran

Dreven is still being judged by the masses

Default PS3 & 360 Xvid/Dvix

Sweet. The day I can throw an xvid disk into either system without a screwed up setup or a media extender - I'll be mucho happy

Although AT&T is about to turn on Video DNA to supposedly block pirated video and music content. I hope nothing even remotely like that comes near either system. Freaking AT&T... try and read through my encrypted newsgroup service you dirty snoopers!

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/X...-PS3-360-89291

Xvid and DivX on PS3, 360?
Rumblings of increased video support
03:16PM Friday Nov 09 2007 by Karl
tags: Video · Fileswapping · business · content · networking

With home bandwidth speeds ramping up for most of us, how we get broadband video content into the home isn't as important as how we get broadband video from our office to the living room.

An increasingly popular mainstream solution is the use of an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, though neither has supported the popular DivX or Xvid standards. While there are workarounds, many have been slightly too complicated for the average user. TVersity is probably the easiest solution users have found to make up for lack of native support.

It appears things could soon change. Reports this week indicate that the latest firmware update for the PS3 hints at future Xvid and Divx support. Meanwhile, the new DivX CEO appears to have screwed up during a conference call with investors, admitting that DivX support would soon be coming to the Xbox360: Coster - "Just a minor point here, but there was a recent Microsoft (MSFT) conference where I believe their media extender now incorporates the DivX codec on it, is that correct? Can you confirm that and does that mean we’re soon going to see Xboxes with DivX on them?
Hell - "Yes! that, uh, we’re in discussions with Microsoft on that at this point in time, so I can’t go into any great detail on that. Um that is not a certified, that is not a certified or licensed product at this time."
Whoops. Of course DivX and Xvid support has come late to the game in part because of licensing costs, but also because it makes the playing of pirated content (most of which comes in Xvid or DivX format) that much easier. Of course lots of legit content comes in those formats too, making support a boon for both consoles.
Dreven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Unicron
Radeon Evergreen

Unicron is still being judged by the masses

DivX/Xvid will be used for Home (media sharing in your apartment) supposedly. Some leaked photos showed the DivX logo on TV screens.

More support for codecs is good, converting/transcoding stuff is a big PITA.
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I hope so. Would be good news for both systems.
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:00 PM   #4
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

They'd be better pimpin various codecs on Live and have ya buy a license for em and proceeds goto said codec maker/holder

Of course i find my current 360 way too noisy for such things as film watching though that'll probably change with the revised 360s coming forth.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Weaser
Nvidia 7950 GTX Go Laptop

Weaser is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyhed View Post
They'd be better pimpin various codecs on Live and have ya buy a license for em and proceeds goto said codec maker/holder

Of course i find my current 360 way too noisy for such things as film watching though that'll probably change with the revised 360s coming forth.
I only find it noisy when a game is playing (DVD winding up to full speed) but movies it doesn't wind up... I wonder why yours is so loud?
Weaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 02:24 PM   #6
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Its my PSU. I'm currently modding it though so its passively cooled.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote