Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:10 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Default Is my ASUS 87u router diying?

So lately I've noticed some odd characteristics of the router.

Whenever I wake the PC I don't receive internet for about 30 seconds. If I restart the router, it'll go away for about a week or two, then do it again.

Whenver I stream high bandwith data (like 4k TV) after about 15-20 minutes the internet will drop and router will reboot (I lose wifi, everything). But it only does this once, once it reboots it's good.

My nvidia shield will no longer wake from my cellphone home press. For example I use to be able to go to android controller on cell, press home key and it would wake my shield. Now I have to unplug the shield and plug it back in to get it to turn on.

Really don't want to spend $300 on another router, but I have had this thing for awhile so I can't really complain.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:06 PM   #2
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Do a firmware update if you haven't. Latest FW Version 3.0.0.4.382.51939. After the FW is done I'd factory restore the router and then setup whatever you need. You may want to check for Merlin FW as well for the 87U. Its way way better then anything Asus provides.

Check for overlapping WIFI in the area. I had issue once I switched off the same channels. Pretty much on my own channel now for 2.4GHz and 5G1/5G2. I couldn't even max my Shaw 600 line. Was only getting 80 until I swapped channels. Just use a WIFI analyzer on a phone or tablet and see how bad you are overlapping.

Otherwise I have a spare AC5300 if you wan it. Went and got the AC11000 a couple months ago.

PM your address if you want it.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:17 PM   #3
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Do a firmware update if you haven't. Latest FW Version 3.0.0.4.382.51939. After the FW is done I'd factory restore the router and then setup whatever you need. You may want to check for Merlin FW as well for the 87U. Its way way better then anything Asus provides.

Check for overlapping WIFI in the area. I had issue once I switched off the same channels. Pretty much on my own channel now for 2.4GHz and 5G1/5G2. I couldn't even max my Shaw 600 line. Was only getting 80 until I swapped channels. Just use a WIFI analyzer on a phone or tablet and see how bad you are overlapping.

Otherwise I have a spare AC5300 if you wan it. Went and got the AC11000 a couple months ago.

PM your address if you want it.
It is the newest firmware and and it just did a factory reset because the firmware switched on AI QoS and couldn't disable it. I noticed it couldn't handle very well and restricted my speeds pretty bad from 1 gig to about 2-300.

I'm in a home with only one wifi out device. Not multi-dwelling or anything.

Also something else I thought of, even watching a movie off my plex server after about 30 minutes in a 4k movie it crashed and hard rebooted. I noticed because the video stopped and said your network speed is not high enough, movie stopped, then noticed the cell phone switched to LTE and I lost WiFi.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 12, 2020, 03:03 PM   #4
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
It is the newest firmware and and it just did a factory reset because the firmware switched on AI QoS and couldn't disable it. I noticed it couldn't handle very well and restricted my speeds pretty bad from 1 gig to about 2-300.

I'm in a home with only one wifi out device. Not multi-dwelling or anything.

Also something else I thought of, even watching a movie off my plex server after about 30 minutes in a 4k movie it crashed and hard rebooted. I noticed because the video stopped and said your network speed is not high enough, movie stopped, then noticed the cell phone switched to LTE and I lost WiFi.
I would try downgrading to the previous firmware. Could be a firmware issue, or a corrupt firmware update.

slightly off topic: To bad you don't live in a multi dwelling apartment complex. It's fun to see some of the wifi names that pop up. Have one here that is "I plow mom's for free" and of course, I have been trying to get into the one called "virus.exe" just cuz....

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 12, 2020 at 03:10 PM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 03:10 PM   #5
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
I would try downgrading to the previous firmware. Could be a firmware issue, or a corrupt firmware update.

On a funny note: To bad you don't live in a multi dwelling apartment complex. It's fun to see some of the wifi names that pop up. Have one here that is "I plow mom's for free"
You live in the apartment above KAC, it seems.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2020, 03:12 PM   #6
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
You live in the apartment above KAC, it seems.
Didn't realize KAC moved to the states.. LOL!

~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
Old Feb 12, 2020, 03:42 PM   #7
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

I can try and re-doing the firmware. I should clairify, I did the firmware twice last time. I cant remember exactly what happened but it auto downloaded the firmware and when it did it enabled AI something, not QoS, but AI traffic, or something and the CPUs were pegged on the thing and would run out of steam causing me download speeds to be miserably low. So I rolled it back, problem didn't fix itself, then I re-did the firmware upgrade and did factory reset and it went away.

Basically I guess there was a corrupt file that enable the AI monitor, but the option was "off" in the menu, but was very much "on".
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:57 AM   #8
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

So I did redo firmware (was current) loaded up a 4k video and about 10 min it it did it again. I did forget to monitor the cpu so jot sure if it was pegged or not. Bleh. Thing has served me well.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Feb 13, 2020, 02:42 AM   #9
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

There are a bunch of people using ASUS routers that are having issues right now. I have read and researched that it seems to be firmware related. In some cases regressing to a previous firmware isn't fixing the problems.

You may want to look here. https://www.snbforums.com/forums/#wireless-networking.5

Edit: What does your log file say is going on?
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2020, 09:08 AM   #10
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
There are a bunch of people using ASUS routers that are having issues right now. I have read and researched that it seems to be firmware related. In some cases regressing to a previous firmware isn't fixing the problems.

You may want to look here. https://www.snbforums.com/forums/#wireless-networking.5

I have no issues.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:36 AM   #11
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:

I'll check log file tonight when I get home, I guess since I did the reboot again last night I lost my mobile permission so I can't log in anymore. I did glance a few pages on that site and not really seeing anything compared to what I'm talking about. Can you maybe point me in the right direction?
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Feb 13, 2020, 01:49 PM   #12
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Damn, routers were the one thing ASUS made that weren't complete trash. Well at least their product portfolio is consistent now.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2020, 02:44 PM   #13
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post

slightly off topic: To bad you don't live in a multi dwelling apartment complex. It's fun to see some of the wifi names that pop up. Have one here that is "I plow mom's for free" and of course, I have been trying to get into the one called "virus.exe" just cuz....
One in our neighborhood used to be called "FBI Van."

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2020, 04:06 PM   #14
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

I used to have mine called Balls Deep. My log file would have everyone in the crescent trying to login all the time...

My GF who lives next door asked me about it recently. I lol'd.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:02 PM   #15
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I'll check log file tonight when I get home, I guess since I did the reboot again last night I lost my mobile permission so I can't log in anymore. I did glance a few pages on that site and not really seeing anything compared to what I'm talking about. Can you maybe point me in the right direction?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ro...38794/page-105

I have a gt-ac5300 and I have had the dropout problem since updating to the newer firmware. I have done a factory reset and I still had the problem.

I did the link to the new firmware here and it seems to be fixing the issues.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ro...38794/page-115

https://dlsvr04.asus.com.cn/pub/ASUS...0438481551.zip

Once again, that was a specific fix to my router though. You may want to search the forum for a beta firmware for your router.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:10 PM   #16
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I spent a little extra and went with all ubnt setup. I haven't had to reboot anything other than updates in over a year. Just rock solid all around. I will never buy another consumer router.

When I built this place I had all the major rooms hard wired with cat 6, so my setup was stupid easy.

Edge router 4
Unifi APs
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:35 PM   #17
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Hap, how do you like that AC11000? I've been thinking of upgrading my 5300 to the RT-AC11000.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:12 AM   #18
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Feb 14, 2020, 08:17 AM   #19
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Hap, how do you like that AC11000? I've been thinking of upgrading my 5300 to the RT-AC11000.
It's great. I had to purchase a new wireless card for my PC, notebook and NUC but I needed it to max out my speed. All my systems are now ACX.

Haven't had any issues. Got the two new mesh routers with it as well. Setup in seconds.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:37 AM   #20
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Is the 87U compatible with DD or other open source firmwares?

You could try blowing some canned air through the vents on the body as well. They do build up a decent amount of dust from convection.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:58 AM   #21
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Just ordered one.

Thanks Hap!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 08:43 AM   #22
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Just ordered one.

Thanks Hap!
I picked up 3 of these:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78284

and also grabbed this:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77452
Old Feb 16, 2020, 09:42 PM   #23
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Try disabling Receive Side Scaling on your network adapter.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:48 AM   #24
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

So I tried blowing it out (wasn't much in there actually), I read about running out of memory and changed the pagefile config, but that didn't fix anything, so then I noticed for some reason the CPUs are being HAMMERED on 4k. Like full tilt above 95% then it shuts down.

So I tried backdating the firmware. Still no help.

I'm gonna give up, and to top it off it started doing the BS where I have no internet for 2 minutes on wake again on a hard wired desktop. (It'll show connected, but not to internet). It's like the router just won't open the port, or won't release an IP for 2 minutes after wake. Which is why I'm assuming my shield is also not waking.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Feb 17, 2020, 06:25 PM   #25
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

I'll be shipping the AC5300 to you shortly, its been a **** long weekend....

If you need porn that badly just use mobility data.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:40 AM   #26
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I'll be shipping the AC5300 to you shortly, its been a **** long weekend....

If you need porn that badly just use mobility data.
LOL. Thanks again Hapa. You are awesome. I'm about 2 minutes away from ejecting this thing out the window.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:10 AM   #27
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
I spent a little extra and went with all ubnt setup. I haven't had to reboot anything other than updates in over a year. Just rock solid all around. I will never buy another consumer router.

When I built this place I had all the major rooms hard wired with cat 6, so my setup was stupid easy.

Edge router 4
Unifi APs
Same here, identical equipment (only 1 Unifi AP) Switched to it about 7 months ago, set it up and haven't touched it since. Had different consumer routers over the years, never had one that didn't have to be rebooted or something at least once every month or two, with some needing reboot once a week. But, I have to admit, non where Asus (was going to be my next brand of router until I decided to go the Edgerouter 4 route/Unifi AP route)

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 18, 2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:38 AM   #28
Loser-P
Radeon HD 4850

Loser-P is still being judged by the masses

+1 for Ubiquiti gear.

Got an Edgerouter X and a Unifi AP-AC-Lite a couple years ago. Current up time is 3 months. Only time they get rebooted is for firmware updates or if the power goes out long enough to drain my UPC.

Other than the initial learning curve to get them setup they haven't given me any problems, and the QOS on the Edgerouter works great for eliminating bufferbloat.

Last edited by Loser-P : Feb 19, 2020 at 06:33 PM.
Loser-P is offline   Reply With Quote