Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Mar 14, 2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Default (Rant)To my fellow IT professionals here...

Are your IT departments completely dysfunctional or is my IT department just an outlier. Somehow a HD on a vital server managed to completely fill up and multiple calls to 5 different people in our IT department, I finally get a response. Meanwhile the plant I work in has ground to a halt as the server is vital to our operation.

1. How does a vital (virtual) server manage to run out of HD space without some type of warnings going out?

2. No one ever wants to answer their company phone or company cell phone unless you call multiple times.

3. Turns out half the people I called are on vacation but never updated the company calendar to reflect this or updated their auto response on outlook.

4. My boss is completely oblivious to what I do to the point that I have to call his boss for issues that come up.

I could sit here and vent all day. I know the grass always looks greener on the other side but it seems like every day there's an issue that makes me facepalm at how it could possibly have happened. I've thought about job hunting but I'm curious if you guys deal with the same issues in your IT jobs?
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 01:02 PM   #2
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm an IT pro and what is "HD"?
globalist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 01:29 PM   #3
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

hard drive....
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 14, 2019, 01:32 PM   #4
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
I'm an IT pro and what is "HD"?
I think you just answered the questions in the first post...

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:12 PM   #5
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
1. How does a vital (virtual) server manage to run out of HD space without some type of warnings going out?
Easily.

A lot of the so called IT professionals don't know anything about actually building a proper infrastructure, automating or monitoring jack ****!ng sh!t - they're too busy oogabooga cloud this, cloud that and forget the basics while plastering new buzzwords on their linkedin profile.

Yeah, I'm old and grumpy but at least my systems work.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:16 PM   #6
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The abbreviation for "hard drive" has always been HDD (hard disk drive).

If I had an IT subordinate who used HD instead of HDD i'd fire him on the spot.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:19 PM   #7
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

The man's right. HD is commonly used for High Definition, not hard disk drive. Omega....

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:23 PM   #8
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

While I agree... at least with Omega's use of "HD", high definition wouldn't fit.

"server manage to run out of HD space"

"server manage to run out of High Definition space"

Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:23 PM   #9
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

I got you

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:24 PM   #10
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

No work places have become so strange with millennials "working" in IT.
You can not call them out for not doing their work because it "hurts" their "feelings" and makes them sad. Edit for WTMI
We have some tickets that have been swung back to for months.

Last edited by Athena : Mar 14, 2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: WTMI
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:25 PM   #11
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

Also, do you really have to call 5 people before you can free up space on a server HDD?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:31 PM   #12
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
While I agree... at least with Omega's use of "HD", high definition wouldn't fit.

"server manage to run out of HD space"

"server manage to run out of High Definition space"

True but the OP's usage of the term is wrong by industry standards. So

yoz
Old Mar 14, 2019, 05:33 PM   #13
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Also, do you really have to call 5 people before you can free up space on a server HDD?
That's not even bad - we have to place call abroad to a service center (their NOC) for a specific customer before we roll out security patches on their AWS servers on a pre-set date and time.

And yes, a call. As in telephone. No email, no sms, no nothing - a phreakin' phone call to let them know we are about to watch our automated systems do everything.

That's IT in 2019.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 05:57 PM   #14
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

So I was lazy and skipped a D
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 08:20 PM   #15
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
I got a D for ya

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2019, 09:13 PM   #16
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
I got a D for ya
Cyko wins this thread, close it up.

yoz
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:48 AM   #17
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Your issues are not about IT, they are about corporate culture.

For example, in the last 5 years, IT directors have become instinct in the Montreal area
simply because managers with purchasing power buy off datasheets with little due diligence
and directors end up managing environment full of science project products with
support numbers manned by... No one, really.

This will stay this way as long as the boss does not change his mentality.
Ask Hapa, he will confirm
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:11 AM   #18
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

I understood immediately with he meant by HD. Maybe it's due to the fact I've worked in IT for 20 years.

These issues aren't uncommon especially in smaller companies. It's more of a management problem than anything else. Lackadaisical attitudes not being kept in check.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2019, 03:52 PM   #19
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I mean that's what happens when you have lazy sysadmins who don't setup proper monitoring and don't do periodic manual checks to ensure monitoring/reporting is working closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
No work places have become so strange with millennials "working" in IT.
You can not call them out for not doing their work because it "hurts" their "feelings" and makes them sad. Edit for WTMI
We have some tickets that have been swung back to for months.
Hi, I'm a millennial, I run IT, I've been in the industry for 13yrs. My feelings are not easily hurt, never have been. Dont lump us all together, please.

Quote:
That's what she should've said.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer H276HL | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote