Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default How long does HTC or Samsung take to update Android

Being that they are putting out phones just before the Google I/O, in which Key Lime Pie is expected to be shown off, how long do these two take to update to the latest OS?
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:53 AM   #2
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Being that they are putting out phones just before the Google I/O, in which Key Lime Pie is expected to be shown off, how long do these two take to update to the latest OS?
I've had both, being a Galaxy S Epic 4G, a Galaxy Note II. And also an HTC Evo 3D. HTC is by far quicker, and tends to provide updates longer. But both are more than reasonable.

At least in my expierence with those phones specifically I'd say current phones receive the update in 2-3 months after release on carrier specific phones. International, and unlocked phones within 1-2 months.

That being said, it did take awhile for the 4.0 ICS for the HTC Evo 3D (around 6 months from release). But that wasn't exactly a small update. And was a carrier phone.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

So this isn't just the stuff from legend but they actually update their phones?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I've had both, being a Galaxy S Epic 4G, a Galaxy Note II. And also an HTC Evo 3D. HTC is by far quicker, and tends to provide updates longer. But both are more than reasonable.

At least in my expierence with those phones specifically I'd say current phones receive the update in 2-3 months after release on carrier specific phones. International, and unlocked phones within 1-2 months.

That being said, it did take awhile for the 4.0 ICS for the HTC Evo 3D (around 6 months from release). But that wasn't exactly a small update. And was a carrier phone.
2-3 months? Wow.

Time to read up on what Android CAN'T do that iOS does.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Spyder is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
if you find out, mind sharing in a post? i'm genuinely curious
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
if you find out, mind sharing in a post? i'm genuinely curious
For one, being able to watch something on my iPhone and continue on my iPad. Still reading up though.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Android devices will never be in step with the latest Android release, save maybe Nexus devices. It's just done another way on this platform, think differently

<-Annoyed that my current flagship phone got JB 6 months after open source release.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:47 AM   #8
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
2-3 months? Wow.

When you say "wow" is that in a good, or bad sense? I don't see it being that unreasonable at all. Even more so with carrier specific phones since they are the ones that severely hold up the process forcing them to be approved, and update their own crap.

Now again, those are in refrence to whole updates, like 3.0-4.0 since that's what your question referenced.. . I'm not talking like 4.0.1, 4.0.2. Those are relatively quick.

That being said, it's a different platform than Apple. It's not all "in-house" tech. Their are vast configurations, different carrier branding, different model branding, and so much more detail per device. You really can't compare the two in updates. (apple to android).

EDIT*** Wanted to add. Now if you do go with custom roms. Usually you can get them within a few days.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz

Last edited by CurrentlyPissed : Apr 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

yeah its the carriers that inflate the update times to retarded levels.

its why if i got a smart phone i'd buy an unlocked nexus device straight from google.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
yeah its the carriers that inflate the update times to retarded levels.

its why if i got a smart phone i'd buy an unlocked nexus device straight from google.
That's the preferred way I'd go, but the Google phone doesn't hav LTE and has all that glitter on the back of it.

I'm just doing research for now, as I'm waiting to see what happens at Google i/o and what Apple's event has in store.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I haven't owned a Samsung (yet, plan to get the Galaxy 4s) but I've owned HTC's for the last several years. From hanging around some of the forums, I'd say CurrentlyPissed hit it. I will say that HTC updated the original Evo 4g for a LONG time (a lot longer than I thought they would). Samsung seems to drop support much quicker.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:29 PM   #12
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I´m not really happy about this "issue" on "android-based" phones, which is why i got the nexus 4 to begin with.

The HTC one (new premium HTC device) comes with 4.1.2. The galaxy s3 (most popular phone of 2012) is also on 4.1.2. The nexus 4 I got in december already had 4.2.1 on it at that time! It's nearing the end of april and none of these phones have recieved 4.2.X. 2-3 months is very optimistic, I would say its more of a 4-6 months for FLAGSHIP devices to get updates, and even LONGER waits for lesser phones to recieve updates.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
That's the preferred way I'd go, but the Google phone doesn't hav LTE and has all that glitter on the back of it.

I'm just doing research for now, as I'm waiting to see what happens at Google i/o and what Apple's event has in store.
Good call. I haven't bought a Nexus 4 yet either because of Google I/O. Rumors on the Nexus 4 refresh look good. I'd likely buy one today if they had a 32gb model.

Anywho I plan to go data-only plan and use Fongo for any calls I may need to make. Cuts our retarded canadian $50/mth (minimum) plans down to $20. Much more affordable.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
I´m not really happy about this "issue" on "android-based" phones, which is why i got the nexus 4 to begin with.

The HTC one (new premium HTC device) comes with 4.1.2. The galaxy s3 (most popular phone of 2012) is also on 4.1.2. The nexus 4 I got in december already had 4.2.1 on it at that time! It's nearing the end of april and none of these phones have recieved 4.2.X. 2-3 months is very optimistic, I would say its more of a 4-6 months for FLAGSHIP devices to get updates, and even LONGER waits for lesser phones to recieve updates.
I was disappoint to read that the HTC One didn't have the latest version of Android. Bizarre, especially since it's a point release. This has to be a dev's worst nightmare. Apparently, the FTC is suppose to step in an solved this issue.

Last edited by Razeus : Apr 22, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:01 PM   #15
Chuki
Radeon Evergreen

Chuki is still being judged by the masses

HTCs track record of keeping there handsets updated has gone to hell. The EVO4G was updated quite awhile, the 3d was updated to ics 9 months after release, then HTC dropped it. The EVO4G LTE has only recently been updated to Jelly Bean. I also have some EVO designs in my family, and HTC has dropped the ball with keeping them updated. The ICS update for that phone is so slow and clunky.

Samsung? I have a Galaxy S3, and Jellybean was released a think around 2 months after source. There has also been several updates, to fix and add features. Premium suite is on it's way too, I have the latest leak on my phone, but Samsung is continuing to add features. They've also upgraded the Galaxy s2 to Jelly bean, and have stated it will get the latest release of Android 4.2.2 as well.

I was possibly considering going back to HTC, but with the HTC one only having android 4.1, and now they're announcing all these other phones they're producing. When they keep coming out and saying they're slimming down there annual device portfolio, and just keep making different handsets.

I'll stick with Samsung again this round, waiting on the Note 3.

My opinion? Samsung supports there devices now far better then HTC does now.
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:55 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Have you even seen a Nexus 4 in person? The back is far from glittery, the pattern on the back looks awesome.

Samsung is easily the best at updating in a timely manner now, HTC isn't even close. Things are very different from even 2 years ago.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki View Post
My opinion? Samsung supports there devices now far better then HTC does now.
I'll have to agree. As you said, the galaxy s2 got 4.1.2, but the htc sensation (basicly the flahship from the same year) is stuck on 4.0.4 and will most likely never get jelly bean which is very lame since that is a very capable phone with a dualcore 1.2ghz/1gb ram (thats like iphone 5 specs?!).

Luckely there are ROMs but regular people will not s-off and root HTC devices easily.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:56 PM   #18
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

The rumors about the new Motorola/Google Nexus phone are quite nice.

If it is comes out at the same price as the previous iteration, it'll be a nice buy. And it's supposed to have LTE.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:59 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The rumors about the new Motorola/Google Nexus phone are quite nice.

If it is comes out at the same price as the previous iteration, it'll be a nice buy. And it's supposed to have LTE.
In before FX Moto hate
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:28 AM   #20
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Reading stuff like this makes me nervous. Isn't this their flagship from 2012?

http://www.androidauthority.com/last...update-195802/

Quote:
Earlier this month, it was revealed that the HTC One X might be getting the update to Android 4.2.2 in June or July, but now an unconfirmed report says that the update to the latest version of Jelly Bean will be the last operating system upgrade the HTC One X gets.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:36 AM   #21
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
12-18mo.

If you want Key Lime Pie buy a device with it on it.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Reading stuff like this makes me nervous. Isn't this their flagship from 2012?

http://www.androidauthority.com/last...update-195802/
HTC just pulling the plug for updates on it apparently. All the more reason to go with an unlocked nexus device
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:53 AM   #23
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
HTC just pulling the plug for updates on it apparently. All the more reason to go with an unlocked nexus device
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
12-18mo.

If you want Key Lime Pie buy a device with it on it.
If I'm going to locked in a 2 year contract, this isn't the news I'd like to hear. I still can't find info if the HTC One will even get 4.2.2, or even Key Lime Pie. Hopefully we'll find out next month. Glad I have a couple of months to decide as I'd rather just buy a phone with the latest OS rather than wondering if it ever will, with Google's event in May and Apple's event in June.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:29 AM   #24
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
If I'm going to locked in a 2 year contract, this isn't the news I'd like to hear. I still can't find info if the HTC One will even get 4.2.2, or even Key Lime Pie. Hopefully we'll find out next month. Glad I have a couple of months to decide as I'd rather just buy a phone with the latest OS rather than wondering if it ever will, with Google's event in May and Apple's event in June.
Gaurenteed it will get it, if your willing to use roms.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:31 AM   #25
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Gaurenteed it will get it, if your willing to use roms.
True. But I'lll wait until the end of June when all the options are out there. Sure, HTC may say, "ya, HTC One will get Key Lime Pie", but that really means in 3-12 months...HTC may be too risky all together, but with ROMs, it may be a moot point.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:54 AM   #26
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
True. But I'lll wait until the end of June when all the options are out there. Sure, HTC may say, "ya, HTC One will get Key Lime Pie", but that really means in 3-12 months...HTC may be too risky all together, but with ROMs, it may be a moot point.
Well the nice thing about the ONE, is there is "Developer Edition" phones, specificaly for those wanting to.. Develop for them. They all come with an unlocked boot loader (for now they say). So the stuff out there for the one should be far and wide, and few inbetween.

HTC seems like the only company that actually still cares about people developing things for. That was one huge issue with the Note 2, alot of the main developers dropped out because the exynos support was god aweful.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:58 AM   #27
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Unlock your Android device. Update for whatever reason you want, whenever you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:07 PM   #28
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

if you are on android. you can get update to date by going to xda
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:24 PM   #29
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

ROMs don't always offer full functionality of stock depending on the whether or not the manufacturer releases some of their device-specific source (eg Exynos support mentioned above).

Plus they're never completely stable, always works-in-progress. It's a tradeoff for functionality either way.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:52 PM   #30
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
ROMs don't always offer full functionality of stock depending on the whether or not the manufacturer releases some of their device-specific source (eg Exynos support mentioned above).

Plus they're never completely stable, always works-in-progress. It's a tradeoff for functionality either way.
You don't have to flash an entire ROM to update.

Edit : I realize this may still depend on which device you are working with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote