Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Default Dell Lightning: the ultimate Windows Phone 7 device leaks out

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/d...ice-leaks-out/

Quote:
1GHz QSD8250 Snapdragon processor, WVGA 4.1-inch OLED display, AT&T and T-Mobile 3G, five megapixel autofocus camera, 1GB of flash with 512MB RAM plus 8GB of storage on a MicroSD card (non-user-replaceable, we're assuming), GPS, accelerometer, compass, FM radio, and full Flash support including video playback
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Serotonin
Lacking details

Serotonin is still being judged by the masses

I don't get the need to push cell phones so far. They have internet, decent screens, texting and phone calling options, anything more is nonsense to me.
Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:33 PM   #3
ZeeM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

ZeeM is still being judged by the masses

Too bad its a vertical and not horizontal slider. Keys are too small that way.
Some cool info: Tibeten monks, after twenty years or so of practise in the Himalaya, control their brain stem - they can control their heart beat, blood pressure etc. After thirty years they can connect to the internet purely by meditation, setting TCP stacks in their neurons and stuff. Right now I am chatting with a monk who is sitting naked in an ice storm on his towel, his only possesion. He's using ipv6.
ZeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:44 PM   #4
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeM View Post
Too bad its a vertical and not horizontal slider. Keys are too small that way.
Agreed
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Scott
I like my backyard

Scott is still being judged by the masses

Any smaller than crackberry?

And yeah, it seems like overkill but then no-one will ever need more than 64KB of memory.

I got a pair of tweezers, a can of air, and some bacardi :\

-
sittal
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Redshirt_X
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Waitaminnitnow.

An accelerometer.

What in the hell are you going to do with an accelerometer in a cellphone? Throw it at things and try to measure its airspeed velocity before it breaks?

1. "OMG IT'S COMING!!!"
2. "OMG IT'S HERE!!!!!"
3. "....wait a minute. This isn't the Second Coming! This sucks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
I like them tall and petite.
Redshirt_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:09 PM   #7
bete
Huh?

bete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

There is no gray area. There is right and wrong and I will decide which side your on.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_X View Post
Waitaminnitnow.

An accelerometer.

What in the hell are you going to do with an accelerometer in a cellphone? Throw it at things and try to measure its airspeed velocity before it breaks?
How about when you rotate the phone from portrait to landscape whatever is displayed will rotate as well....

Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:25 PM   #9
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Waitaminnitnow.

An accelerometer.

Landscape/portrait changing, shaking it to play a random song, tapping it for certain functions, even pedometer capabilities.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The accelerometer is so that you could strap it to your RC helicopter and measure max forward speed

Also, break the phone.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

No 4.3" screen no care.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
No 4.3" screen no care.
Yeah, that whole .2" is a huge deal breaker...

(I'm not buying this phone, but comments like this make me laugh)
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:38 PM   #13
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
No 4.3" screen no care.
It's on AT&T! Us poor bastards stuck on AT&T are never going to get the HD2, so this is as close as it gets for those of us who don't want a damn iphone. I'd take one of these in a heatbeat.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:43 PM   #14
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post

Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:48 PM   #15
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
No 4.3" screen no care.
Quote:

Seriously though Elysian....

You are happy with your DROID and it has a 3.7" screen
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Seriously though Elysian....

You are happy with your DROID and it has a 3.7" screen
The EVO 4G wasn't even a glimmer in htc's eye when I got my droid id love the extra real estate! Truthe be told I missed the 4.1 part, I just looked at the pics, cause I'm on my droid right now id still much rather have a WP7 hd2!
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:17 PM   #17
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Waitaminnitnow.

An accelerometer.

Someone has never seen an iPhone and it's changing view point dependent on which way you are holding the phone.

I lost faith in Dell long ago. Keyboard hardware should always be long-wise. Period.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:20 PM   #18
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

I hate that feature. I've kept it disabled on my last two phones.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:26 PM   #19
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Someone has never seen an iPhone and it's changing view point dependent on which way you are holding the phone.

I lost faith in Dell long ago. Keyboard hardware should always be long-wise. Period.
'eh all personal preference. I have a HTC phone that is long wise and I have a hell of a time typing on it. However, on my blackberry I don't have this issue.
MSI Z87M Gaming|Intel i7 4770k |16GB DDR3 PC3 12800|XFX RX470 4GB | 6TB HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:29 PM   #20
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
I hate that feature. I've kept it disabled on my last two phones.
Srsly?? How did you browse the internet?
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:55 PM   #21
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
Srsly?? How did you browse the internet?
slider phone so it rotates when I pull the keyboard out

Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:19 PM   #22
bete
Huh?

bete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Too bizarre. I have this miraculous device called a flip phone. Way cool. I can call people on the phone and talk to them from pretty much anywhere. It can't give me internet, show me movies, play music or deploy a mechanical arm to wipe my ass when I take a dump.

Why do you want to be that connected? Oh it can do text messages but the tiny little buttons are pure frown material and why would I want to klutz my way through text when I could just call the person and talk to them?

Last of the Luddites,
bete

There is no gray area. There is right and wrong and I will decide which side your on.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:18 PM   #23
plasmafish
ionized

plasmafish is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAg Of FuRy View Post
I don't get the need to push cell phones so far. They have internet, decent screens, texting and phone calling options, anything more is nonsense to me.
I think there is big pressure from manufacturers to have all this stuff crammed into the phone so they can further the company/technology while having the general consumer buy stuff they didn't need/want.

I completely agree that phones are getting out of hand nowadays.
plasmafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:57 PM   #24
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

looks sexy, and if wide enough i dont think the keyboard being vertical is going to be an issue. What i can see happening is that the phone might feel top heavy as they extend the keyboard and may feel awkward to keep in place. But the phone is pretty thin, so it might not be an issue.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:00 AM   #25
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
How about when you rotate the phone from portrait to landscape whatever is displayed will rotate as well....

That would be a gyroscope wouldn't it?

Quote:
A gyroscope is a device for measuring or maintaining orientation,
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:10 AM   #26
HiThere
salty cracker

HiThere is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
Not necessarily.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:29 AM   #27
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
No. All smartphones use accelerometers, which measure acceleration in a given direction. Gyroscopes tell you the orientation about a particular axis. You would not want to use a gyroscope, because you'd have to use an electric motor to keep it spinning... the power drain would be large compared to MEMS based accelerometers, I assume. I also don't know how small you can get a mechanical gyro, but they might also be too big, and I'm pretty sure laser ring gyros are too expensive.

You can use both together to keep track of where you are, with respect to some starting location, as in an inertial measurement unit, but they aren't the same thing.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:46 AM   #28
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Any word on 3D acceleration? DirectX support? Playing Jedi Knight Outcast on a phone would be a dream come true.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:54 AM   #29
ZeeM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

ZeeM is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post
No. All smartphones use accelerometers, which measure acceleration in a given direction. Gyroscopes tell you the orientation about a particular axis. You would not want to use a gyroscope, because you'd have to use an electric motor to keep it spinning... the power drain would be large compared to MEMS based accelerometers, I assume. I also don't know how small you can get a mechanical gyro, but they might also be too big, and I'm pretty sure laser ring gyros are too expensive.

You can use both together to keep track of where you are, with respect to some starting location, as in an inertial measurement unit, but they aren't the same thing.
there are mems gyroscopes also
Some cool info: Tibeten monks, after twenty years or so of practise in the Himalaya, control their brain stem - they can control their heart beat, blood pressure etc. After thirty years they can connect to the internet purely by meditation, setting TCP stacks in their neurons and stuff. Right now I am chatting with a monk who is sitting naked in an ice storm on his towel, his only possesion. He's using ipv6.
ZeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:01 AM   #30
Doozer
lollollollol

Doozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird sings

"Dell" and "ultimate device" should not be used together

Nikon D7100,
Nikkor 16-35mf f4
Sigma 120-400mm
Nikon 18-55mm kit lens,
Sigma 70-300 APO Macro,
Nikkor 50mm f1.8,
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM,
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DG,
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 HSM,
Sigma x2 TC
Remote shutter release ,