Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:38 PM   #12961
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangFu View Post
Thanks, he lives across the street from where I work, he's actually some sort of chihuahua mix, no taller than a foot haha
omg I need new glasses! I just took a second look and yes I'm embarrassed I called that a shepherd
Old Oct 17, 2017, 08:23 AM   #12962
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Portions of the Veil Nebula in Cygnus; western part lower left and Pickering's Triangle in the upper right. A great deal of OIII emissions which causes the teal color, sulfur and hydrogen with the reds. Remains of a supernova around 8000 years ago, this thing is huge in the sky...total about 6 full moons so I can't get the whole thing in one shot. I might try for the eastern part sometime if I feel like it. Some details here: https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/v...ernova-remnant, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil_Nebula

This was about 3 hours exposure through my 6" f4 Newtonian reflector, Canon 70D. Subframes at 3 minutes, ISO 1600. Used an Orion Skyglow filter for light pollution, Baader MPCC III coma corrector. Celestron CG-5 mount, capture in BackyardEOS, processing in Pixinsight, Photoshop.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 09:14 AM   #12963
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

What does an unprocessed image look like straight from the camera?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:56 AM   #12964
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

Great pic! Looking at all those stars and galaxies makes me feel pretty small and insignificant.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 01:27 PM   #12965
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Thanks! For logical, here is an untouched subframe, as it would look out of the camera. The blue tint is because I shot through a light pollution filter but the white balance is for daylight. 3 minutes of data; it is what it is.

Below is the file after 63 of those have been stacked in DeepSkyStacker. That aligns all the shots and then combines them in a kappa-sigma fashion, basically averaging but throwing out the outliers which happen mainly when planes or satellites cross the field. You see that all don't properly superimpose because of imperfect tracking, so the image needs to be immediately cropped.

I did apply a stretch to this data to show the improved detail and noise; from DSS the image is linear and appears dark.

So I crop, neutralize and subtract the background gradient, noise reduce, stretch the image, white balance and histogram enhancement to taste. Fun times.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 03:55 PM   #12966
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Is the color grading afterwards true to what it really looks like? Or is it done just to be pleasing to the eye? Excuse my ignorance as I know literally nothing about astro photography.

Old Oct 17, 2017, 04:11 PM   #12967
RFtinkerer
Not with it

This is actually a rather involved question since our eyes white balance perception changes. Indoor, shade, sunlight, flourescent--your eyes see "true color", but if it changes under different conditions then what? Roger Clark has a lot to say about the subject:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/...rstellar.dust/

...trending on an "outdoor" white balance, which I typically use. Yet I face light pollution, light pollution filter, skyglow, and gradients from all. So do most. I do my best...I have stated the teal color from mainly Oxygen III lines, and you can compare some reference like what they show for the spectral line. Here, for example:

The teal color is "close". Astronomers can spot these with eyes through using these filters, and under good telescope conditions, even stimulate their eyes enough to see at least a greenish glow in powerful nebula beyond the typical grayscale.

But, everything changes with equipment. I use a DSLR that tries to represent what our eyes would see, but people mod their camera to get more Ha sensitivity, enhancing the deep red portion of their sensor. Narrowband filtering for CCDs kills any attempt at "true color", and if you see astronomical, Hubble images none are even close but using colors to separate detail only. See the Hubble color palette mapping: http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm

Depending on my mood, I try usually to represent what our eyes would see but sometimes I also don't. Mostly enhancement...making it pretty.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 09:15 AM   #12968
logical
What is my purpose?

Thanks for the explanation. Keep'em coming.

Old Oct 19, 2017, 03:26 PM   #12969
RFtinkerer
Not with it

Here is the Andromeda galaxy, our friendly neighbor spiral galaxy 2.5 million light years away. M110 is up above, the larger dwarf galaxy around it, and M32 the small dwarf below. I've shot this before with camera lenses but not since I got the 6" reflector. Unfortunately, the galaxy is so big it doesn't fit on the sensor so I had to take 2 seperate images side by side. It was convenient last night though; it crossed zenith about 12:15 so I could start the right half 3 hours before, then the left 3 hours after I flipped the scope. Quite pleased with the image, really.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 02:06 PM   #12970
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

Nice! Is that bright spot in the center of Andromeda the center of the galaxy, or some other object?

We've got so much light pollution where I live that I rarely see any stars. The moon, planets and a very limited number of stars are bright enough to be seen. I think that I'd need to drive an hour or two to get to a place where it's dark enough to see the night sky.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 07:45 AM   #12971
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

The astros are just F'ing fantastic.

I've seen a guy using the new Nikon D850 with the Nikkor 105mm f1.4 shoot M31. 100% crop and it was still a wonderful shot.

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Zotac Amp gtx 1080 - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2017, 07:51 AM   #12972
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

So my love affair with Fuji is over

I just could not get use to the EVF and I was too lazy to learn the new UI.

I feel at home shooting Nikon so I picked up(all used, but like new) a D500, Nikon 17-55 2.8, and a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII. Next will be the Nikon 200-500.

This is the first time I shot the 17-55 and this lens is magic. Wonderful rendering.

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Zotac Amp gtx 1080 - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2017, 07:34 PM   #12973
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Couple of shots, got a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro and a 28-300 for approx 38 bucks off someone on facebook, discarded the 28-300 as it was no where near the iq of the nikon 55-200 but been using the tamron to shoot around, haven't gotten around making any macro shots, couple of the next one were taking with it and a couple with the 55-200.
Hoping to get a cheap AF 50mm soon.

Tamron 90mm

Nikon 55-200, cropped

Tamron 90mm

Nikon 55-200

Nikon 55-200
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:13 PM   #12974
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangFu View Post
Couple of shots, got a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro and a 28-300 for approx 38 bucks off someone on facebook
It's a decent macro lense. There's a shot using one. It's not much use outside of macro or still & close photography.
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2017, 03:57 PM   #12975
RFtinkerer
Not with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lviz View Post
Nice! Is that bright spot in the center of Andromeda the center of the galaxy, or some other object?

We've got so much light pollution where I live that I rarely see any stars. The moon, planets and a very limited number of stars are bright enough to be seen. I think that I'd need to drive an hour or two to get to a place where it's dark enough to see the night sky.
Thanks! That is the center of the galaxy, washed out in brightness because the density is overloading the sensor.

Lunar and solar system objects are still interesting, but I definitely like at least the yellow zone area I am in. I can at least see some of the Milky Way and stars. The light pollution filters help a lot, then subtraction of the gradients in post processing for these shots.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:27 AM   #12976
RFtinkerer
Not with it

Okay, now I got the North America and Pelican nebulas. This is another 2 panel mosaic; I got the North America on Sunday night and Pelican Tuesday. A little difficult to combine due to somewhat different atmospheric conditions but I think it worked out.

"Here lie familiar shapes in unfamiliar locations. On the left is an emission nebula cataloged as NGC 7000, famous partly because it resembles our fair planet's continent of North America. The emission region to the right of the North America Nebula is IC 5070, also known for its suggestive outlines as the Pelican Nebula. Separated by a dark cloud of obscuring dust, the two bright nebulae are about 1,500 light-years away. At that distance, the 4 degree wide field of view spans 100 light-years. This spectacular cosmic portrait combines narrow band images to highlight bright ionization fronts with fine details of dark, dusty forms in silhouette. Emission from atomic hydrogen, sulfur, and oxygen is captured in the narrow band image in scientifically assigned colors. These nebulae can be seen with binoculars from a dark location."

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160614.html
Old Nov 22, 2017, 09:42 AM   #12977
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Couple of shots with the tamron

Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:05 PM   #12978
RFtinkerer
Not with it

Wow, those are really neat shots. I haven't shot macros in like 10 years...are you happy with that lens?

Now, the opposite of macro...got a couple more space shots. This is M33, the Pinwheel or Triangulum galaxy depending on who you ask:

And this is the Pleiades, which you can easily see in the evenings now as a bright cluster in the east sky.

Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:33 PM   #12979
wangFu
take him away!

The lens is great for what I paid for it, I'm pretty happy with it.
I have a hard time shooting up close because of my shakey hands but with good light it can make nice pictures
Old Nov 26, 2017, 06:24 PM   #12980
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Well, I broke down over the sales and purchased a Nikon 7200 DX. As my daughter continues in dance, my wife wants better pictures and my old Minolta really struggles with movement and dark lighting. Any ISO over 100 is grainy with it so the few photos I've been able to do over the years have been heavily Lightroom processed to get what I needed.

No lenses yet (I'll borrow a few for a while) so I'll start playing around and learning the body over the next few months.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 06:57 PM   #12981
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Well, I broke down over the sales and purchased a Nikon 7200 DX. As my daughter continues in dance, my wife wants better pictures and my old Minolta really struggles with movement and dark lighting. Any ISO over 100 is grainy with it so the few photos I've been able to do over the years have been heavily Lightroom processed to get what I needed.

No lenses yet (I'll borrow a few for a while) so I'll start playing around and learning the body over the next few months.
Loving mine although I haven't had much time to shoot lately. Looking forward to see what shots you get
Old Nov 27, 2017, 06:47 AM   #12982
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

That is going to be a huge change...

Add to this a nice, used 85mm 1.8D and you will freak out at what you can see
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 08:15 AM   #12983
Dengin
Rage3D Veteran

Dengin is still being judged by the masses

Here are some pictures of my trip to Kenya and Tanzania a couple of months ago (I took 1700, deleted 1000 because they were blurry, and put an album together of about 200 that were more or less decent.) Panasonic Lumix GF1 (Micro 4/3) with 45-200 lens. No post-processing at all, too lazy.

And because this is Rage3D, a picture of a dik-dik.

Dengin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 09:58 AM   #12984
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Thumbs up

Love the lion!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:11 PM   #12985
GravY
Rage3D Spammer

GravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsGravY glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The sunset is amazing!
"Yes, but God has the right to get away with anything. Shoot animals, make ugly women, allow the existence of religious nuts, and watch liederhosen-wearing midget poodle-licking pornography. God's a sick bastard." - OzzieBloke

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:49 PM   #12986
wangFu
take him away!

Cheetah looks like he's laughing at a cheetah pun/joke, great shots!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:05 PM   #12987
dodger
Doggy

dodger is still being judged by the masses

I second the sunset!
dodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2017, 09:39 PM   #12988
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:

Grabbed a few lenses off eBay over the weekend just to get a few things to get started:

Sigma AF DC 17-70mm
Sigma EX DG APO HSM 70-200mm

Not sure what I'll do for primes yet, so that will be later...
Old Dec 10, 2017, 09:56 AM   #12989
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Grabbed a few lenses off eBay over the weekend just to get a few things to get started:

Sigma AF DC 17-70mm
Sigma EX DG APO HSM 70-200mm

Not sure what I'll do for primes yet, so that will be later...
More eBay shopping... Added:

Sigma EX 50mm 1.4
Sigma EX 70mm 1.2

Now just to figure out where all the settings are at on this thing. I'm too used to my old camera and knew where everything was so adjustments were quick.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 09:01 AM   #12990
RFtinkerer
Not with it

Wait, Sigma EX 70mm f1.2? They make something like that? Sounds dreamy. I have a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 and the DOF is whoa. Good choices with the others.