Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old May 20, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Post Is it necessary to run real-time virus protection?

Okay, simple question. Is running real-time virus protection necessary, or does a once-a-week manual scan suffice?

I always disabled it in Norton Antivirus 2004 (it made my computer run like molasses), and after dumping it for Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0, my initial instinct was to disable it. But is that a good idea?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Nosferatu
Hasta la victoria siempre

Nosferatu is still being judged by the masses

I'm not running ANY real-time antivirus or anti-adware software.
Viruses: 0
Adware/spyware: 0
But then again, I'm a cautious user.
Windows (and other relevant SW, such as SQL server) are fully patched, ports closed, I'm behind cheapo ADSL router (NAT and "firewall")...
I surf only with FireFox and my mail client is Thunderbird, I never open any attachments not I download/run fishy SW.

I've done it for years, last time I "got" anything was Code Red few years ago...
Old May 20, 2006, 03:17 PM   #3
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

if you're cautious, probably not. I've never had an infection, whether I ran real time scan or not, but I would suggest scanning anything you download off the net.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 20, 2006, 03:36 PM   #4
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I never run Virus scanner software... like, ever. At all. Period.

From time to time though I'll either install one, or run one from the web. Usually the only responses I get are false positives, things like "data-miner" cookie warnings, etc. Nothing too terrible.

Speaking of which... I'm about due.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 11:10 PM   #5
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126
I never run Virus scanner software...
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 11:35 PM   #6
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
Yeah I know, and yet... I still never get infected with anything.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 02:26 AM   #7
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

If you keep your windows up to date,your browser up to date and maybe run a firewall you pretty safe.

I do keep my real-time scan on,however I leave on a low setting since I have my software scan once a day at around 4-5am when I'm sleeping.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 12:06 PM   #8
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

24 years of running personal computers and I've never gotten an infection - and I've never had realtime AV on my primary gaming puter (which I also use mainly for web browsing anyway).

On the other hand, I run an AV on the proxy server (and file server) (and email)
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 11:18 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yes, run a real-time agent if it doesn't impact performance too much. And use good judgement for your browsing habits. If you download odd things, or visit nefarious websites, then you'll need to have a lot of hot protection.

I use a HOST file, with Spyware Blaster, McAfee Enterprise 8.0i (Real Time scan), with FireFox, via a NAT + SPI router firewall. I used to run Sygate Personal Firewall also, but after my last reinstall (upgraded hard drives) I decided not to go back, as it game me odd blocking on other machines on the network when .NET 2.0 was running and using IP to communicate.

A lot depends on your software choices. Windows + IE + Outlook means lots of exploits are available, so you need regular OS, IE, Outlook and AV updates. Replace IE and Outlook with other alternatives (i.e. check out the mozilla foundation, or look at Opera) and it gets better. But the fundamental things are : What websites do you browse? What software do you download? What IM clients do you use? These things will determine how much protection from yourself you require.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 06:04 AM   #10
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

An anti-virus free system is DOABLE provided you know what are you are getting into and take appropriate steps.

1) Use an online mail system such as hotmail to eleminate actually downloading mail to your computer.

2) NEVER downlaod attachments without being 100% sure of their content.

3) NEVER downlaod anysoftware without it coming directly from the company and then onyl deal with reputatble companies.

4) DO NOT enage in filesharing software.

5) either use an effective anti-spyware program or use an alternative browser. I suggest Opera because Firefox is becoming targetted more and more as it gains in popularity.

6) Do at least weekly an online various scan for safety.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126
Yeah I know, and yet... I still never get infected with anything.
Well, you can drive around in your car and never get into an accident. So does that mean you never need to wear a seat belt, or have a car with air bags, crush protection etc. Of course not.

I can give you a link that will get you infected instantly if you want!
Old May 26, 2006, 02:57 PM   #12
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete stranger

^ Can you pm said link to me?
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 03:47 PM   #13
Jackl
Always watching.

Jackl is still being judged by the masses

I recently did an reformat, booted up. Installed drivers, got everything up and working. So I started to download windows updates on a fresh semi-old copy of XP. In the ten minutes I was downloading service packs and getting ready to install Firefox/Nod32 and setup my firewall I got 4 viruses 2 trojans and 3 random malwares. All by just going to MS site pulling down updates.

Freaky. So yea, I don't really agree to not running real time. Even for a short period.
Old May 26, 2006, 08:12 PM   #14
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl
I recently did an reformat, booted up. Installed drivers, got everything up and working. So I started to download windows updates on a fresh semi-old copy of XP. In the ten minutes I was downloading service packs and getting ready to install Firefox/Nod32 and setup my firewall I got 4 viruses 2 trojans and 3 random malwares. All by just going to MS site pulling down updates.

Freaky. So yea, I don't really agree to not running real time. Even for a short period.
unpatched windows can be infected in 10 minutes due to all these worms targeting known exploits.
Old May 26, 2006, 11:35 PM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

That's why I built my machine offline, using Autopatcher XP Apr Full + May updates. Meant I was patched before I went online to patch office, and I already had McAfee etc ready to update.
Old May 27, 2006, 03:41 AM   #16
Skynet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumilsingh
^ Can you pm said link to me?
I can, but I am 1000% NOT RESPONSIBLE for what happens!!!!!!

If you agree, post again and I'll pm you the link. Natrually if you have a good virus checker you are safe. But if you don't, or have no protection it is nearly 100% certain you will get infected.
Old May 27, 2006, 03:52 AM   #17
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I don't think it's necessary at all, as long as you have full control over your computer (i.e. no people who click on exe files for fun). I'm not running live anti-virus but I have anti-virus that I load up if I'm cautious of a file or need to do a scan. I haven't had a virus for a long time.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 04:58 AM   #18
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
I can, but I am 1000% NOT RESPONSIBLE for what happens!!!!!!

If you agree, post again and I'll pm you the link. Natrually if you have a good virus checker you are safe. But if you don't, or have no protection it is nearly 100% certain you will get infected.
Yeah, send it over. I am not gonna click on it, just want to see what kind of a website can auto-infect pc's.
Does it start auto-downloading crap?
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 01:04 PM   #19
Skynet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumilsingh
Yeah, send it over. I am not gonna click on it, just want to see what kind of a website can auto-infect pc's.
Does it start auto-downloading crap?
As soon as you hit the site, it will attempt to infect you. You don't have to click anything.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:52 PM   #20
Takezo
Tech Ninja

Takezo is still being judged by the masses

Just a heads up, Avast! has caught a trojan from a link posted on this very forum.

It's saved me lot of time from re installing windows every few months.

Note: Not all viruses crash your computer. If I were a hacker, thats probably the last thing I would want to do. You see i would slap type snaching bugs on IE or MSWord, using a word filter algorithm to search for senistve information such as credicard numbers, social security numbers, addresses, etc..

I could also uses your computer as a relay. So I download music or movies off the most infamamous websites which are well known to the public, so that they never be able to track me.

finaly I could use your computer as an amplifyer to magnify irrelivant data packets which will bounce around tha net like a tsunami and crash a major web site. You firewall will mean nothing since my trojan creats back doors for me to walts in.

the only time would it be nessary to crash your computer which has served me as my loal minion would be to illiminate my tracks as others try to trace me.

Can i really do all that, no. But there are people who can and are doing it.

The only thing you can do to protect your computer and flip the finger at those A-holes is a simple installation of a resident scaning virus scanner.
Takezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 04:15 PM   #21
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takezo
You firewall will mean nothing since my trojan creats back doors for me to walts in.
I'd love to see how your trojan creates holes in my two hardware firewalls
Old May 30, 2006, 08:12 AM   #22
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

a12ctic is still being judged by the masses

my sisters windows computer gets spyware every few days, but my windows partion is suprizingly clean, im acualy a little impressed heh.
Old May 30, 2006, 12:43 PM   #23
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

Anyone have any good programs which do real time virus protection without too much slowdown besides mcafee, I don't mind having to buy it, however, I'd rather get something which doesn't require a yearly 50 dollar subscription fee.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 01:30 PM   #24
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

www.avast.com

You can toggle the real time scanning with a single flick of a mouse.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 09:38 AM   #25
Bender
Radeon R700

Bender is still being judged by the masses

I think if you're REALLY careful, you might be able to avoid getting infections on the web, but you just can't be 100% sure sometimes. Vendors sometimes put out infected files (by accident).

Also, on a home network you can't be 100% sure of what everybody else is doing on the network (atleast here I can't). Could never be 100% confident that someone hasn't unleashed something by accident on the network.

Rather save myself the grief of it all by running an antivirus JUST incase.

Anyway, I've yet to catch a virus in all my years of computing (even on the network here), but it's like safe sex...only takes one time for you're world to come crashing down and then you wake up with Chlamydia or something...so to speak ).
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:06 AM   #26
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I run Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition version 10 and has virtually no measurable impact on performance so I leave it enabled.

I have never had a virus ever though.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:42 AM   #27
Riou
Radeon R420

Riou is still being judged by the masses

I have gotten several viruses before. It was probably due to someone visiting questionable websites that install a bunch of baddies. Luckily, my antivirus caught most of the viruses though. That was a 4 years ago. Currently, I am using McAfee Enterprise 8.0i.

Riou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:51 AM   #28
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Couldn't find an older thread to bump?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:16 AM   #29
taz291819
Radeon Northern Islands

taz291819 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
If you keep your windows up to date,your browser up to date and maybe run a firewall you pretty safe.

I do keep my real-time scan on,however I leave on a low setting since I have my software scan once a day at around 4-5am when I'm sleeping.
That's exactly what I do.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 07:35 PM   #30
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Couldn't find an older thread to bump?
at least he uses the search button. Was getting tired of the many "antivirus "threads being posted>

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote