Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 29, 2003, 08:42 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ardiem
Radeon R520

Ardiem is still being judged by the masses

Default SARS outbreak in Canada. How are you guys?

Just read on the news about Toronto quarantining 5000 possible SARS victims. How is it up there?

This is just getting too scary now. SARS is right next door and with our open borders it'll be a short matter of time before it could become an epidemic in the US.
"I'm always afraid they're going to make an example out of me, and I'll be placed in this giant nerd prison. I'm also afraid my inmates will be the worst kind of cyber nerds who all own Matrix t-shirts, masturbates over Lara Croft video games, and have never been on a date before."

-- Anonymous, regarding getting caught by the RIAA for sharing music.
Ardiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 08:58 AM   #2
huskylord
Radeon Arctic Islands

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Guy, you have got to believe me when I say that for 99.999% of us in Toronto that life is going on just as it did last year. The fear is worse than the reality. We're all going to work, we're still partying. The international image of Toronto is completely skewed. I could go on, but to make it short, if you were worried about visiting Toronto or Canada, don't be.
huskylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 09:07 AM   #3
mage
Radeon R300

mage is still being judged by the masses

It's very scary. We've all locked ourselves in our homes. Toronto is a real ghost town now. If you want to protect yourself make sure you get one of these like we all have. Combining that with this will ensure your safety.

Don't forget your protective underwear.

And for our cuddly little friends, link.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 29, 2003, 09:09 AM   #4
Ardiem
Radeon R520

I just hope myself that it doesn't turn into an epidemic up there. Toronto's a great place.
"I'm always afraid they're going to make an example out of me, and I'll be placed in this giant nerd prison. I'm also afraid my inmates will be the worst kind of cyber nerds who all own Matrix t-shirts, masturbates over Lara Croft video games, and have never been on a date before."

Old May 29, 2003, 09:09 AM   #5
Stingray
Banned

Stingray is still being judged by the masses

Rage3d is gonna close because of SARS.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 09:10 AM   #6
Ardiem
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally posted by mage
It's very scary. We've all locked ourselves in our homes. Toronto is a real ghost town now. If you want to protect yourself make sure you get one of these like we all have. Combining that with this will ensure your safety.

... don't forget duct tape...

Old May 29, 2003, 01:36 PM   #7
Robotzombie
The Coz

Robotzombie is still being judged by the masses

I'm sick of this SARS nonsense.

I see the odd person on the subway with those retard masks (which do nothing anyway) and I'm like "How many of you got a flu shot?" Probably none.

SARS is a pussy disease. I'm not afraid of it at all.
Old May 29, 2003, 01:38 PM   #8
Skywa|ker
Radeon R300

Skywa|ker is still being judged by the masses

Talking

<cough cough> Fine, why? <sniffle>
Yamaha 4x SCSI CD-R, LG IDE CDR-W,
Samsung 19" Dynaflat,
Logitech Optical Mouse, MS Ergo k/b.
Dual boot: Windows 98SE, Windows XP Pro
Skywa|ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 01:39 PM   #9
Long Dinh
Y helo thar buttsekz?

Long Dinh is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by mage

I'll second that.

Geez, 5000 out of 30 mil isn't that bad. No reason to stop living your life...just don't cough in public and no one will treat you differently.
Radeon 9700 (297/263) | 19" Futura CRT monitor
SBLive! 5.1 | Logitech Z-560
Long Dinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 01:57 PM   #10
Jeff Lange
National Jeff Day!

Jeff Lange is still being judged by the masses

0.017%... I'm not worried at all that I might get it... I'm more worried of getting hit by a bus while walking to Tim Horton's...
Old May 29, 2003, 02:03 PM   #11
SpongeBebop
Freedom Fighter Morgan

SpongeBebop is still being judged by the masses

::KAFF:: ::KAFF:: dying...... help us.... come to canada..... only.... hope.... ::kaff::

"...mediocrity is what's rampant. Excellence is rare." -Don Cheadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
My spouse is in child support enforcement so I'll always be happily married. :)
SpongeBebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 03:58 PM   #12
Alpha

Alpha is still being judged by the masses

The average age of people dying from Sars is 70+. The death toll is up to like 22 old people dead now.

The common cold is worse.
Old May 29, 2003, 04:59 PM   #13
jonmcc33
Banned

jonmcc33 is still being judged by the masses

The United States is safe from this because we purchased all the duct tape in the world.
jonmcc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 05:33 PM   #14
pushtun
Radeon Arctic Islands

pushtun is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Robotzombie
...SARS is a pussy disease...
Always wear a condom.

"You're oversexed and underage!" - Elvis (Blue Hawaii)

"To succeed with the opposite sex, tell her you're impotent. She can't wait to disprove it." - Cary Grant

"A Jewish entertainer? Get out of here!" - Homer Simpson

If she's 16 and she's ugly, she's not jailbait...
pushtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 06:11 PM   #15
Notorious P.I.T
THRILLHO

Notorious P.I.T is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: SARS outbreak in Canada. How are you guys?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ardiem
Just read on the news about Toronto quarantining 5000 possible SARS victims. How is it up there?

This is just getting too scary now. SARS is right next door and with our open borders it'll be a short matter of time before it could become an epidemic in the US.
what news paper are u reading? it must be written by the stupidest person on earth or some1 with a grudge against canada.

i think there is a max of 20 people that might have sars in toronto out of a few milion. the people that do have sars are locked up in a hospital with no contact to the outside world. for me to catch sars i would have to break into a hospital and break into the tiny lil area of the hospital that has the sars patients in it.

toronto is definately not a ghost town. if u dont believe me come on the 30km 2 hour drive with me in the morning to work and back home after work. thats right 30km in 2 hours on a road with 16 lanes!!!! but then again ghost towns tend to have tons of traffic all day long.

sars kills fewer people than the flu. flu = 36000/year, sars = less than 300 deaths since february.
u are more likely to get cancer or aids then u are to get sars.
i dont consider 20 possible cases out of 2.5 million people an epidemic.

and i totally agree with Robotzombie, sars is a pussy disease. the only people that die are those that are unhealthy and weak. im not saying im superman, but the possibility of me dying because of sars is very unlikely.
Old May 29, 2003, 06:49 PM   #16
Lucien
Rage3D Veteran

Lucien is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: SARS outbreak in Canada. How are you guys?

Quote:
Originally posted by Notorious P.I.T
what news paper are u reading? it must be written by the stupidest person on earth or some1 with a grudge against canada.

i think there is a max of 20 people that might have sars in toronto out of a few milion. the people that do have sars are locked up in a hospital with no contact to the outside world. for me to catch sars i would have to break into a hospital and break into the tiny lil area of the hospital that has the sars patients in it.

toronto is definately not a ghost town. if u dont believe me come on the 30km 2 hour drive with me in the morning to work and back home after work. thats right 30km in 2 hours on a road with 16 lanes!!!! but then again ghost towns tend to have tons of traffic all day long.

sars kills fewer people than the flu. flu = 36000/year, sars = less than 300 deaths since february.

and i totally agree with Robotzombie, sars is a pussy disease. the only people that die are those that are unhealthy and weak. im not saying im superman, but the possibility of me dying because of sars is very unlikely.

Yep your a [email protected]
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 07:32 PM   #17
Notorious P.I.T
THRILLHO

Default Re: Re: Re: SARS outbreak in Canada. How are you guys?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucien
Yep your a [email protected]
ya but im a jackass that lives in toronto that doesnt have sars and isnt unbelievably and unnecessarily scared of sars like the rest of the world.
Old May 29, 2003, 07:36 PM   #18
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have to agree that the flu is a much greater threat. The only people really at risk are the very young, the very old or people with weakened immune systems like AIDS patients or people getting chemo for cancer. The overall fatality rate for SARS is the same as the flu, about 8% as a whole (from the last numbers I saw), but you are far less likely to catch it.

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 08:58 PM   #19
Jimby
Captain Manches

Jimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The only thing that SARS is hurting is the damn economy caused by sheer paranoia.
Old May 29, 2003, 09:05 PM   #20
Pablo J Escobar
Radeon R520

Pablo J Escobar is still being judged by the masses

Yeah I live pretty near the hospital that just got the new potential cases so stay away
Old May 29, 2003, 10:13 PM   #21
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Um I saw South Park and it said that the cure for SARS is 7-UP, Cough Medicine and chicken noodle soup.
Old May 29, 2003, 10:15 PM   #22
Jeff Lange
National Jeff Day!

Jeff Lange is still being judged by the masses

mmm... chicken noodle soup....
Old May 29, 2003, 10:29 PM   #23
mage
Radeon R300

mage is still being judged by the masses

I was listening to cfrb today and right when I tuned in, I heard how some kids from the school that got shutdown in markville that were supposed to be in quarantine were running around the mall. What a bunch of dumb fu(ks. Watch the number of potential cases jump by another 5000. If only I could smack'em with a 50ft pole.
Sars doesn't travel 50ft when they cough right?
Old May 29, 2003, 10:35 PM   #24
JonZ
Radeon Arctic Islands

JonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

that's make me remember the Fear Culture theory of Michael Moore on medias...
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 10:45 PM   #25
jonmcc33
Banned

Quote:

You are very naive. SARS currently has no cure. It spreads like wildfire and with ease (it's not like HIV where it's only spread via bodily fluids). Take a look at China. 1 turned into how many people dead?

SARS is so bad that everywhere in the world they are screening people who went to a country or city that's had cases.

I'd call that an epidemic.
Old May 30, 2003, 12:11 AM   #26
Notorious P.I.T
THRILLHO

Default Re: Re: Re: SARS outbreak in Canada. How are you guys?

Quote:
Originally posted by jonmcc33
You are very naive. SARS currently has no cure. It spreads like wildfire and with ease (it's not like HIV where it's only spread via bodily fluids). Take a look at China. 1 turned into how many people dead?

SARS is so bad that everywhere in the world they are screening people who went to a country or city that's had cases.

I'd call that an epidemic.
the media is blowing the entire thing out of proportion which will cause people to believe that it is an epidemic.

the situation here in toronto isnt as bad as most people think. imo the media is to blame for making a lot of people very scared by making sars out to be as bad as a plague when it clearly isnt. "over 5000 cases in toronto", "toronto is a ghost town", are just 2 examples of what the media has been saying that is complete nonsense. has there even been 5000 cases world wide? ive never seen such a busy ghost town before, have u?

screening people as they arrive at an airport doesnt help the situation and only adds to the fear that the media has instilled even though the airports are right for screening flights that may contain potential sars carriers. if it was an epidemic all traffic from locations with sars would be blocked. i know that some airports have done this but there are still flights coming in and out of toronto. how many new cases of sars have been detected in areas where there was no sars that can be directly linked to a person from or travelling through toronto?

an epidemic would have hundreds of people dying across the nation with the medical community unable to control or cure the disease. imho sars is no worse than the flu, they are both spread very easily, both can be controlled under the proper conditions, people die from both, and most important of all, it is possible to recover from sars even though there is no cure.
Old May 30, 2003, 04:46 AM   #27
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

i thought you had to eat one of those giant wombat/rat-like things or something to get sars? I havent been following the news lately, but that was the last real news I've heard about it.

www.eve-online.com
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 07:12 AM   #28
jonmcc33
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: SARS outbreak in Canada. How are you guys?

Quote:
the media is blowing the entire thing out of proportion which will cause people to believe that it is an epidemic.

the situation here in toronto isnt as bad as most people think. imo the media is to blame for making a lot of people very scared by making sars out to be as bad as a plague when it clearly isnt. "over 5000 cases in toronto", "toronto is a ghost town", are just 2 examples of what the media has been saying that is complete nonsense. has there even been 5000 cases world wide? ive never seen such a busy ghost town before, have u?

screening people as they arrive at an airport doesnt help the situation and only adds to the fear that the media has instilled even though the airports are right for screening flights that may contain potential sars carriers. if it was an epidemic all traffic from locations with sars would be blocked. i know that some airports have done this but there are still flights coming in and out of toronto. how many new cases of sars have been detected in areas where there was no sars that can be directly linked to a person from or travelling through toronto?

an epidemic would have hundreds of people dying across the nation with the medical community unable to control or cure the disease. imho sars is no worse than the flu, they are both spread very easily, both can be controlled under the proper conditions, people die from both, and most important of all, it is possible to recover from sars even though there is no cure.
I didn't see anything about Toronto being a ghost town. I'm seeing reports about SARS there as well as deaths from it. What I'm seeing is the whole coverup of China's SARS cases so maybe it's more dangerous than you think.

I consider something that has no cure and can be spread with ease to be an epidemic. Even HIV is an epidemic.
Old May 30, 2003, 09:25 AM   #29
Jimby
Captain Manches

Jimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badgesJimby doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Diseases are a way of life. Live with it. As for coverups, every country is guilty of that. You being from the US, you should know full well of what Im talking about.
Old May 30, 2003, 04:02 PM   #30
Ardiem
Radeon R520

Quote:

Let's see, I'm reading CNN.com and Foxnews.com and BBC. I guess they're all stupid and hate Canada?

Really, I'm just voicing concern over the fact that the seed's been planted right in Canada. Yeh, 5000 possible cases is only a smidget to the actual population that Toronto has, but considering there still ISN'T a cure for sars that's a scary thing because of the possible spread of it if not contained.

Well, I never agreed it was a ghost town either lol. I believe that person who posted that intended it to be a joke.