Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected]home project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Mar 20, 2020, 06:15 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
konjini
Radeon Northern Islands

konjini is still being judged by the masses

I'm not sure but I belief driver team is on our side Crawdaddy79
20.3.1 AMD driver.

Same Project did less then 1000000 , with the <20.2.3 driver.
Saw same gains with nVidia.

But on my newest rigs I have awakened from spare parts .
A AMD card slot is asking for nVidia to be present.
And had a nVidia slot ask to have OpenGL enabled.
WTF is going on.
konjini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2020, 06:32 PM   #62
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

^ Interesting that after having this card for a year, new drivers have made no difference that I need until 20.3.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFoss View Post
The Estimated TPF of Project 14308= 27.00 secs

I know the Vega is faster than a Fiji but 6 min faster [email protected]#?!
That was actually the Ryzen 2700X posting that TPF. Feel better?

Edit: just hit 1.11M PPD with the GPU alone on Proj 11779. For DarkFoss, TPF is 57.0 sec.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2020, 06:40 PM   #63
konjini
Radeon Northern Islands

LOL never mind the WTF is going on, some part was faulty .
I just heard a PUFFFF, I looked to the side.
And the Monitor went black and fans started spinning down slowly
Press F
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 20, 2020, 06:47 PM   #64
konjini
Radeon Northern Islands

Feeling the parts on heat,
Seems the power supply couldn't handle the load.

Did last me 5+ years though .
Old Mar 20, 2020, 08:05 PM   #65
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

DarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
^ Interesting that after having this card for a year, new drivers have made no difference that I need until 20.3.1

That was actually the Ryzen 2700X posting that TPF. Feel better?

Edit: just hit 1.11M PPD with the GPU alone on Proj 11779. For DarkFoss, TPF is 57.0 sec.
Whoops should have looked it up first.
I tried both the cpu and gpu on the 16th :
Cpu
Project: 14328 (Run 8, Clone 5222, Gen 7) TPF was around 2min 20sec
Gpu
Project: 11750 (Run 0, Clone 7438, Gen 0) TPF was around 1min 40sec

So in an Odd way I do feel slightly better. It also explains why when I looked at your results MC Hammer's Can't touch this popped into my head.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 08:12 PM   #66
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

DarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by konjini View Post
LOL never mind the WTF is going on, some part was faulty .
I just heard a PUFFFF, I looked to the side.
And the Monitor went black and fans started spinning down slowly
Press F
Quote:
Originally Posted by konjini View Post
Feeling the parts on heat,
Seems the power supply couldn't handle the load.

Did last me 5+ years though .
Sorry to hear that. I hope it didn't take anything else out with it!
Old Mar 20, 2020, 09:24 PM   #67
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Ole Gregor has buried me. I'm not sure what's going on - everything produced by my desktop today has not contributed to my score.

Ever since adding a passkey, my Web Control reset to zero, and was not updating with my desktop uploads, but did update with my laptop uploads.

The stats page on ExtremeOverclocking seemed to be updating with laptop uploads (not reset to zero, though). I'm about 500k points less than I should be.

After closing/re-opening the client it auto-logged me in as Anonymous. I fixed that, restarted the client, restarted my PC, made sure my info was saved in the client, and all seems to be well.

You have a shoestring loose, Gregor. I think I can grab it now. Best of luck to your face.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 09:34 AM   #68
Gregor976
Radeon R520

Gregor976 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGregor976 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

That shoestring was a trap.
Gregor976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:30 AM   #69
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Yeah no kidding. Pulling it apparently unleashed your rocket boosters. See you at the middle-top of the ladder, sir.

Edit: For context, here is how we currently stack up:

Last edited by Crawdaddy79 : Mar 21, 2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 02:17 PM   #70
konjini
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFoss View Post
Sorry to hear that. I hope it didn't take anything else out with it!
It appeared fine, got a new cheap 650watts B-brand PSU.
Got into windows and 10 minutes furmark.
It did the same after 10-15 minutes run PUUUF,
looks like the system is pulling to much for weak & cheap PSU.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 04:36 PM   #71
konjini
Radeon Northern Islands

Thrown a RECOM 600w from my media-box, and voila.
Kicking ass, and stable like a rock, even pushing the CPU I'm not gone fold at.
Ewent PSU, ending on my blacklist

https://imgur.com/QZeAj3A
https://imgur.com/v36Grq5

Last edited by konjini : Mar 21, 2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: autocorrect spelling
Old Mar 22, 2020, 01:02 PM   #72
TheEmrys
Radeon R420

TheEmrys is still being judged by the masses

Returned to fold. Stupid virus. Holy cow, the points have really gone up. Poor How???. So much work he did in the bad old days.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 01:30 PM   #73
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmrys View Post
Returned to fold. Stupid virus. Holy cow, the points have really gone up. Poor How???. So much work he did in the bad old days.
Yep. Using a passkey nets you bonus points after 10 WU to the tune of about 3 - 10x the base points, depending on how quickly you return the results.

I had two PCs folding nonstop for almost two years in 2004-6 and I doubled my points in one day this week. Now that I'm getting bonuses, completing 1 big WU adds more points than I earned over the two years.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 04:25 PM   #74
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Is there really a point to folding these days? Don't they have ridiculous power in supercomputers/ASICs dedicated to this research?
TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt <---> KRK Rokit 5's
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2020, 05:33 PM   #75
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Globalist, according to the project's FAQ, supercomputers are not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] FAQ
Modern supercomputers are essentially clusters of hundreds of processors linked by fast networking. The speed of these processors is comparable to (and often slower than) those found in PCs! Supercomputers are not only very expensive to operate, but they are often simultaneously shared by many different research groups, and it is a challenge to scale a molecular simulation to all of their processors. Protein folding dynamics is statistical in nature, so a single long simulation from a supercomputer would not be sufficient to fully understand the folding process. [email protected] is one of the most powerful computing systems on the planet, and we use novel methods to utilize its network to statistically analyse the dynamics of protein folding. Hence, the calculations performed on [email protected] would not be possible by any other means! This is possible since PC processors are now very fast and there are hundreds of millions of PCs sitting idle in the world.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2020, 05:40 PM   #76
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Isn't that FAQ like 10 years old and very much outdated in this regard? I can't imagine scientists are not throwing all the CPU power of their supercomputeters at Covid-19 right now, and are instead relying on GPU enthusiasts?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 06:18 PM   #77
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

To be honest with you, I do not know how old the information in the FAQ is, nor do I know exactly how supercomputer resources are being allocated right now. However, what I do know is that the [email protected] project is performing important coronavirus/COVID-19 research, and contributing to it is a worthwhile endeavor.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 06:59 PM   #78
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Also, the total computing power of the [email protected] network is greater than the top seven supercomputers in the world combined.

The [email protected] network has been working hard to defeat COVID-19 (coronavirus). This battle has caused the network to pass some interesting milestones as result of renewed interest in folding for a cure or vaccine. The [email protected] network now boasts 470 PetaFLOPS of compute power and is more powerful than the world’s top 7 supercomputers. [email protected] is a “distributed computing” project. It was started by Dr. Vijay Pande at Stanford University and is now based at the Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine. The project relies on the processing power of volunteer personal devices that process “different portions of data” simultaneously. The [email protected] team contends that this approach can “significantly accelerate our research” and it has allowed them to publish over 223 research papers as a result.

At the beginning of March, [email protected] was pushing out about 98.7 PetaFLOPS of compute power. This was an impressive number, but it paled in comparison to supercomputers like the Summit supercomputer at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The [email protected] output is now at 470 PetaFLOPS. [email protected] is now not only more powerful than Summit, but is more powerful than the top seven supercomputers combined. Summit boasts 149 PetaFLOPS while the six next fastest supercomputers do not break 100 PetaFLOPS.

Source: HotHardware
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:04 PM   #79
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Turbo_Rage3d_ is still being judged by the masses

Hello All!! Great to see people folding again. Just wish I could get consistent projects now. My ppd has taken a huge hit. Great to see everyone getting involved again.
Turbo_Rage3d_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2020, 09:01 AM   #80
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

Hiya Turbo, I'm sure they are fast tracking projects out of beta as best they can.

Has anyone else noticed a new team member named Fireanimal? His/her numbers are quite impressive. Started folding on St. Pattys day, popped up on my threat list Saturday. He's on everyone's now except for Jima13.

All I can say is Thank you for joining us.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 09:33 AM   #81
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

Can someone post here a quick step-by-step guide what exactly to download, setup, etc. to start folding for Covid-19? Many thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 09:57 AM   #82
TheEmrys
Radeon R420

Anyone else getting the client hanging on downloading? Happened overnight for me, and now today the CPU is going along, and the GPU is stuck trying to download.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 09:57 AM   #83
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Can someone post here a quick step-by-step guide what exactly to download, setup, etc. to start folding for Covid-19? Many thanks!
Go here: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

Install the client.

When it asks you who you are, use whatever name you want. The Rage3D team ID is 64.

Once things seem up and running, go to https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey and get your passkey generated.

On the icon in the status bar, right click it and get Advanced Control. Under Configure, Identity you enter your passkey. Doing this gets you mega bonus points.

Any further questions, let us know.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:00 AM   #84
TheEmrys
Radeon R420

Quote:
Go here: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

Install the client.

When it asks you who you are, use whatever name you want. The Rage3D team ID is 64.

Once things seem up and running, go to https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey and get your passkey generated.

On the icon in the status bar, right click it and get Advanced Control. Under Configure, Identity you enter your passkey. Doing this gets you mega bonus points.

Sorry. Wrong post reply. wow.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:00 AM   #85
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmrys View Post
Anyone else getting the client hanging on downloading? Happened overnight for me, and now today the CPU is going along, and the GPU is stuck trying to download.
Check out the slowdowns thread. In the Advanced Client you can follow along the logfile and see what it's actually doing. It's common to get "No WUs available for this configuration."

Each time it reaches out and gets rejected, it extends the amount of time it will wait to reach out again. You can reset the extension by pausing/unpausing the client. Some have had better luck shutting the client down entirely and starting it.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:19 AM   #86
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

OK, so I have now installed the thing but

1. client doesn't seem to be doing any folding
2. I still haven't received my passkey in my email

Any advice?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:26 AM   #87
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

We're all having issues getting work units from the servers. They're tapped out from the rush of people since COVID started.

For the passkey, it took about ten minutes for me. Check the spam folder. Past that, I can't help.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:58 AM   #88
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

Welp I had to uninstall this. Despite not having any real WUs, the client was working both my CPU and GPU quite hard until my screen completely froze and I had to hard reboot my PC. I had to do this twice because upon next login the same thing happened. The last login before I uninstalled went fine, weirdly but fortunately, or else I'd have had to use a rescue CD.

Looks like my old CPU is not up to this task.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:27 AM   #89
TheEmrys
Radeon R420

Quote:
We're all having issues getting work units from the servers. They're tapped out from the rush of people since COVID started.

For the passkey, it took about ten minutes for me. Check the spam folder. Past that, I can't help.
Okay then. I guess I can just let it work.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:31 AM   #90
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Looks like my old CPU is not up to this task.

In my hardware department, now that I have plenty of time to dick around with my computer, I've learned something very valuable.

My PSU has an automagic variable fan speed, so I haven't been worried about it because it's never been loud. Well, I learned that the fan is not controlled by temperature, but instead by load. My PC measures at about 450W at full CPU/GPU load. The PSU is rated for 750W, so due to the "low" load, the fans aren't spinning as much as they need to.

I did the highly technical and scientific test of hanging a piece of cellophane over the exhaust of the PSU and watched it as my PC fans increased. Cellophane gradually lowered to barely vibrating, and then it was stuck flat when the Vega hit 76C. I loosened the side of my case to let more air in, and the cellophane reflected that more air flow is needed. Hopefully the PSU is not too badly damaged.