Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hybelkanin
tsujigiri

Hybelkanin is still being judged by the masses

Default Windows stopped working on laptop!

I have a pretty new Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. I couldn't get Windows to install the battery drivers, so I never had the ability to see how much was left. Yesterday, after extended use, it suddenly powered off (I saw the battey light blinking).

Now I'm unable to start Windows. Linux works fine however, but when I select Windows in GRUB the screen goes black.

I though I'd just reinstall Windows, of course, but here's what's really strange: the Windows Xp installation disk won't start either! I see "Setup is checking your configuration..." blink for an instant before the screen goes completely black like before.

So I can't start or install windows, and neither can I get Linux to anything useful so the laptop is basically useless.

HELP!
Hybelkanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Skynet
Custom User Title

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Probably the easiest way is to download the hard disk tools for your hard drive, and use that to wipe the drive clean. (most of the vendor utilities will boot from a floppy)

What hard drive is in your laptop?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Hybelkanin
tsujigiri

If I wished to erase everything I could use the linux cd, but preferably I want to save the Windows disk somehow. Thought perhaps someone else might have had a similar experience.

I just wonder why the WinXp install cd won't boot, it shouldn't care about the disk?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 20, 2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Skynet
Custom User Title

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybelkanin View Post
If I wished to erase everything I could use the linux cd, but preferably I want to save the Windows disk somehow. Thought perhaps someone else might have had a similar experience.
I've had it happen before. When the boot sector becomes damaged, sometimes Windows setup CD will not run. I've fixed this by writing out the windows boot sector again.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Hybelkanin
tsujigiri

How do you fix the mbr without the Windows cd?

Anyway, I "fixed" it by installing Vista. Thanks for trying to help.