Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Flak
Radeon R420

Flak is still being judged by the masses

Default Need help with Eyefinity

I decided to come back to ATI to try out Eyefinity. I have a 6970 and 3x Asus VW224U, two connected via DVI and 1 connected via the Accell mini displayport to dvi active single link adapter (the same one listed on ati's eyefinity list).

I used moninfo to create an inf for the monitor connected through the adapter as it was showing up in Win7 as a generic un-pnp with the wrong set of resolutions. So used moninfo to create an inf from one of monitors connected via dvi. Installed said inf as the driver for the monitor connected via the adapter and rebooted. So now all monitors are listed as Asus VW224U, and with the correct resolutions.

I then go and setup the eyefinity display group, which works fine. However, I am not getting the option for bezel management (using 10.12a). Any suggestions?
Flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The problem is your custom inf, it doesnt have the right info in it for the driver to use for Bezel Compensation. You need to get the monitors detected properly for it to work. To do this, I would disable the Eyefinity group, disconnect and power off all monitors, then reconnect one DVI monitor and power it on again, to see if it is detected properly. If so, reconnect displays one at a time and recreate the Eyefinity group. If not, then with a single display connected reinstall the 10.12 hotfix driver.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Flak
Radeon R420

All the displays are recognized correctly when connected via DVI. However, when connected via the minidisplay port adapter they are recognized as Generic Non-PNP (I did try all three individually via DVI and then via the minidisplayport adapter). So I use the inf created with moninfo (which was created via one of the monitors connected via DVI). Which then gets me the correct resolutions and such.

I'm not sure how to get the monitors "detected properly" via the minidisplayport adapter. I tried all three of them on it, and all three get detected as Generic Non-PNP. With the wrong resolutions as well, which is why I created the inf via moninfo. I had it pull edid info from one of the monitors connected via DVI and create an inf from that. If I compare edid from the monitors on dvi to the inf they do match perfectly.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:45 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I would disabling the eyefinity group, turning off the computer, then disconnecting all but the miniDP-DVI connected display. Power on, check how the display is detected. Try different DVI cables, and different monitors, to get it detected properly.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Having been down this road myself, AND, having XFX work with me and them get in contact with AMD Technicians, here's what I've been told:

1. Bad Adapters: This, I think I can rule out as I can't imagine that every single adapter I've bought over the past two months is bad;

2. EDID not being properly recognized through the DP port on the video card. This one makes much more sense after AMD Technicians explained it. I get a "fake" monitor listed in CCC for the DP-connected monitor when connected via any DP->DVI adapter. I can get a display only at 800x600 and AMD Technicians said that's normal with a non-recognized EDID. Windows Screen Resolution shows this as: Display device on Mobile PC Display. We all know I'm NOT using any kind of mobile display device!

So, the bottom line is: I either need to find a way to get the video card/drivers to "see" the correct EDID, OR I need to find a monitor that IS properly recognized.

So far, the only way I can get Eyefnity to work is with a DP->VGA adapter. But, on my HD6870, the image is not nearly as good as it was on my previous HD 5770. I've posted a video of the problem elsewhere.

The main question at this point from me is: Can an EDID be created that DOES make things work?
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:28 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Using native DisplayPort is the best solution. With Adapters or faked EDID etc., you have consider how much your time is worth vs. buying from the get go a working option. If you're using existing monitors, then it's worth trying adapters (I use an active DP-DVI adapter daily, works fine except for once in a while I get a blank screen returning from windows security lock, and I get DisplayPort link failure messages but nothing actually goes bad).
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Flak
Radeon R420

I've tried 9 different monitors I have in my house now with 18 cables each. All are noticed correctly by the OS and CCC when connected via DVI. But not a single one is noticed correctly via the displayport adapter.

So now I guess my option is to try the only other two active single link minidisplayport to dvi adapters I've run across or just live with the fact that eyefinity works but I can't adjust bezels.

Last edited by Flak : Jan 10, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Using native DisplayPort is the best solution. With Adapters or faked EDID etc., you have consider how much your time is worth vs. buying from the get go a working option. If you're using existing monitors, then it's worth trying adapters (I use an active DP-DVI adapter daily, works fine except for once in a while I get a blank screen returning from windows security lock, and I get DisplayPort link failure messages but nothing actually goes bad).
I can't argue with the logic. But, the plain and simple truth is, I bought these monitors specifically for Eyefinity based on the Certification of certain Adapters by ATI/AMD.

So, now that I do have these ... and they are VERY, VERY nice monitors...I actually expect for AMD to step up and make things work AS ADVERTISED.
The fact that I have now had the same problems with both the HD 5770 and now the HD 6870, it makes me question just how much testing was actually done on a wide variety of monitors that have DVI input. People should not have to be spending the kind of time and money that is being spent trying to make something work per the ADVERTISED specifications.

And, I have actually visited places such as: Fry's; Micro Center; and HH Gregg, looking for Native DisplayPort monitors and none of these stores carry them in stock...period. What's more, the ones I see online aren't 24 inch, either and, if you can find one, the costs are way out of line to what I've spent on the three I have already.

If it was just a matter of acquiring ONE 24 inch Native DP monitor (if I could find one) maybe it wouldn't rub me the wrong way so much. But, even then, there's no guarantee that that one monitor in combination with any two of the ones I already have will allow for Bezel Comp.

From a customer standpoint, AMD has come up way far too short in the testing of this feature as there are just too, too many people having the same problems that I'm having.

I can't even get ACCELL to respond anymore to my requests for help. Their last response was, "We have no solution...take the adapter back for a refund."

I have, however, requested that Viewsonic check into whether or not they can code an EDID to make things work. There has to be some kind of collaboration between the engineers of these various components and the success of making the feature/s work.

For now, although the image is not of an acceptable quality, I am able to get Eyefinity working. And, by pushing that DP-connected monitor off to the right side, it's not as much of a distraction due to it being in the periphery and not the focus. And, what's more, there's no blanked screen, lost signal, or any need to reset once it's working. As you stated, even with the native DP monitors, you still encounter those problems at times. With VGA, it never happens at all.
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:01 AM   #9
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak View Post
I've tried 9 different monitors I have in my house now with 18 cables each. All are noticed correctly by the OS and CCC when connected via DVI. But not a single one is noticed correctly via the displayport adapter.

So now I guess my option is to try the only other two active single link minidisplayport to dvi adapters I've run across or just live with the fact that eyefinity works but I can't adjust bezels.
Honest to goodness, if any of your matching monitors have VGA, get thee hence to the nearest computer store and pick up the Monster-brand DP->VGA adapter. While there, also get the Mini-DP->DP adapter. (Unless you can find the Monster-brand in a Mini-DP->VGA configuration.) Although the image may not be quite what you might want, it DOES work with Eyefinity. (On my HD 5770 there was no significant difference at all in image quality between the monitors. I only see it on the HD 6870.)

If you do want a WORKING Eyefnity setup, this is the way to make it work without all the hassle.

Good luck!

Quote:
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:30 AM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post
So, now that I do have these ... and they are VERY, VERY nice monitors...I actually expect for AMD to step up and make things work AS ADVERTISED.
If it's got an AMD sticker on the product, you can have that expectation. Any part of the chain that doesn't... well, it's consumer support. You're gonna get finger pointing.

R.E. DP-VGA... I haven't tried it, and I would be leary of citing it as being guaranteed especially if its not on the validated list.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:01 AM   #11
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
If it's got an AMD sticker on the product, you can have that expectation. Any part of the chain that doesn't... well, it's consumer support. You're gonna get finger pointing.

R.E. DP-VGA... I haven't tried it, and I would be leary of citing it as being guaranteed especially if its not on the validated list.
So, does this sticker mean anything? (Poor quality taken with my cellphone.)

As for guaranteeing that the VGA adapter works: So far, anyone who has tried this method after reading my suggestion, and has responded to it, has had success. That's a pretty good batting average.

Quote:
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:38 AM   #12
Flak
Radeon R420

I keep saying, Eyefinity is working with the current adapter. I haven't had any problems with it once I installed my created driver for the monitor attached via the displayport adapter.

My issue is the missing bezel feature. Since eyefinity is working I'm willing to let it be and hope ATI comes up with another way to work the bezel management/compensation feature. I have three of the exact same monitor, bought at the exact sametime. All three have the exact same edid (only difference is the build date, two have the same build date one is a week later). The displayport adapter I have has GOLD status on ati's eyefinity website. The packaging had an ATI eyefinity validated sticker on it as well.

So once again, as I get the feeling this is being missed, Eyefinity does indeed work for me. I'm just missing the bezel management feature. Was hoping it was something easy that I missed, but I'm starting to get the feeling that it's just not going to happen unless I get monitors with native displayport.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:24 AM   #13
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

If your monitor EDID isn't being read then it is either the adapter or monitor at fault. Monitors have separate EDID's for DVI and any other connector. Try different monitors and or a different adapter.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:42 AM   #14
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

If the issue is that Bezel Comp isn't working, I can say, for me, that it IS working with the VGA adapter I'm using. It also worked very well with the HD 5770 I had.

I bought my three ViewSonic monitors at separate times and from separate stores locally. I've never bothered to check manufacture dates. I just made sure they were all the very same model.

Quote:
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:59 AM   #15
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Im with dyre on the vga one, i have a sapphire dp to vga and bezel comp works with it
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:10 PM   #16
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post
So, does this sticker mean anything? (Poor quality taken with my cellphone.)

As for guaranteeing that the VGA adapter works: So far, anyone who has tried this method after reading my suggestion, and has responded to it, has had success. That's a pretty good batting average.
R.E. The sticker, it means you can hold the manufacturer accountable for it not working.

R.E. The adapter, thats great. Do you guarantee people their money back if they take your advice, spend money, and it doesn't work? That's all I'm saying.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:11 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak View Post
I keep saying, Eyefinity is working with the current adapter. I haven't had any problems with it once I installed my created driver for the monitor attached via the displayport adapter.

My issue is the missing bezel feature. Since eyefinity is working I'm willing to let it be and hope ATI comes up with another way to work the bezel management/compensation feature. I have three of the exact same monitor, bought at the exact sametime. All three have the exact same edid (only difference is the build date, two have the same build date one is a week later). The displayport adapter I have has GOLD status on ati's eyefinity website. The packaging had an ATI eyefinity validated sticker on it as well.

So once again, as I get the feeling this is being missed, Eyefinity does indeed work for me. I'm just missing the bezel management feature. Was hoping it was something easy that I missed, but I'm starting to get the feeling that it's just not going to happen unless I get monitors with native displayport.
I have bezel compensation working with Eyefinity using an active DP-DVI adapter. So the software can work. It doesn't work for you, for some reason. I think its the adapter, because your monitor isn't detected properly. Contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement.