Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Default New ATI Eyefinity 5 (yes FIVE)

hmm now really .. I see the total applicability for productivity and MAYBE 3x1 with Crossfire.. but 5 displays ?? From a lone 5770 ??
I'm betting traders and such will snap these babies up..

Last edited by @md_Guy : Mar 5, 2010 at 08:54 AM.
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:08 AM   #2
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

1 x 5 is a valid combo since the center view is in the middle monitor. Although you cant do 1920 x 1080 for all 5 unless they are in portrait as it would exceed 8000 pixels otherwise. You can do 1600 x 1200 for each of the 5 monitors in landscape.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:13 AM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Given rumors of Apple switching from the 4850 to the 5750 this might be of interest to them as well.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:12 AM   #4
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Well if you want a lot of displays from a single card then it the HD5770 is a much better buy than this (is): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814139047

Or even this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814139055

Last edited by aRandomRobot : Mar 5, 2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Dwarden
Bohemia Interactive

Dwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRandomRobot View Post
Well if you want a lot of displays from a single card then it is a much better buy than this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814139047

Or even this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814139055
hardly better it's not DX11 and slower ...

anyway i doubt that 5770 has power to run anything more than 5x1024x768 w/o AA

this acceptable as good for work or media ...

HQwHD a lot monitors gaming ... 5970 or higher ...
needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL features of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)
Dwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:32 PM   #6
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden View Post
hardly better it's not DX11 and slower ...

anyway i doubt that 5770 has power to run anything more than 5x1024x768 w/o AA

this acceptable as good for work or media ...

HQwHD a lot monitors gaming ... 5970 or higher ...
I'm don't think you read my post quite right because I'm certainly not saying people should spend $200 on a dual 8400GS card that uses A FREAKING PCI SLOT. The HD5770 card is CLEARLY a much better card.

However, that being said most of these cards that support 4 or more displays are mostly aimed at small work computers that only have a single PCI-e port (or as the case with the 8400 card, no PCI-e ports at all). For these kinds of setups gaming performance isn't the point.
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 02:06 AM   #7
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

I could see this doing some serious hurt to Matrox's bottom line...
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:13 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Only if the price of DisplayPort monitors comes down, or the cost of Active Display port to DVI adapters drops significantly (i.e. into the $20 range).

5 Display Port output means you can use two Mini-DP to DVI adapters, but you still need three Active DisplayPort to DVI adapters, or three DisplayPort monitors. And from what I've been hearing the Active DP-DVI adapters aren't just plug and go, you need to have the right firmware on them etc.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:37 PM   #9
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Only if the price of DisplayPort monitors comes down, or the cost of Active Display port to DVI adapters drops significantly (i.e. into the $20 range).

5 Display Port output means you can use two Mini-DP to DVI adapters, but you still need three Active DisplayPort to DVI adapters, or three DisplayPort monitors. And from what I've been hearing the Active DP-DVI adapters aren't just plug and go, you need to have the right firmware on them etc.
isn't the use of active ($70-100 usb powered) DP adapters only required for displays over 1900x1600 ? So I would imagine that this card could drive 5 19x16 displays . I can't recall if it's upto (and including 1900x1600) or displays under 19x16 (such as 2048x1080 and etc). I'm also not sure as how DP 1.3 (which added daisy chaining) would work on the HD5 sereis being they are DP 1.2.. can the DP part be updated via software (driver/firmware/bios) or are there actual differences in the DP hardware .. in which case I think it might be at least until the refresh of the next gen (HD6 ?) we see ATI cards with it.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 04:25 AM   #10
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

No you need active ones regardless of the screen resolution.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 05:08 AM   #11
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Its kind of confusing when there are multiple threads at H and WSG that have numerous people saying they've had no problems using passive DP to VGA to enable Eyefinity not to mention that ATI's dongle validation page: (http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/...y-dongles.aspx) shows otherwise.. it seems it's still painfully obvious while Eyefinity is "keen" and has it's purposes.. the requirements for expensive adapters places out it reach or adds substantially to the initial cost.. suddenly a $200 5 port 5770 becomes $500-600 .. just stupid really..

Last edited by @md_Guy : Mar 7, 2010 at 05:17 AM.
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:34 AM   #12
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

I was excluding VGA before since most normal people would be using DVI or HDMI.

VGA can get by with a passive one but only for certain resolutions, otherwise it requires an active VGA converter. DVI or HDMI requires a active one for any resolution if you are using more than 2 displays at once.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

normal people....

... fail
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:09 AM   #14
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

The majority of people don't use CRT monitors these days nevermind having 3 or more of them for Eyefinity, so yes 'normal' people use LCD's. CRT's in Eyefinity would have even bigger bezels than LCD's.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:38 AM   #15
OneCoolAMD
Bow to the Cow

OneCoolAMD is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyre View Post
CRT's in Eyefinity would have even bigger bezels than LCD's.

So I can LMFAO
OneCoolAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:12 AM   #16
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

The best pic I could find is someone using a matrox2go with 3x CRTs. Close enough I guess for demonstration purposes.

I feel sorry for the desk having to take the weight of those.

I'd like to see someone attempt a 2 x 3 Eyefinity setup with 6 CRTs

Last edited by spyre : Mar 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Zetsumei
Rage3D Veteran

Zetsumei is still being judged by the masses

Don't forget that a lot of the super cheap lcd's still only have a vga connection rather than a dvi one for some reason.

For 120 dollar you can get a 1080p 22" el cheapo acer with only a vga connection. For superwide gaming or office work requiring a lot of screen real estate those screens actually do quite fine.

A lot of gamers that i know care more for resolution and price, rather than image quality. And exactly that group probably wouldn't want to purchase a 100 dollar active converter. I actually ended up getting 2 gamers a new videocard purely for the reason that the cheap ass dp to vga converters work.

Last edited by Zetsumei : Mar 7, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Zetsumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 07:04 PM   #18
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:20 PM   #19
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Don't forget also two monitors can still working with Eyefinity gaming as well. But I know the two monitors sounds horrible but it just working great anyway. And I think 4 monitors can do it the same thing. lol

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:47 AM   #20
EmpTe
Radeon R300

EmpTe is still being judged by the masses

Why have 5, when you can run 6 from one 5870 http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...ti-eyefinity/1
EmpTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:44 PM   #21
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpTe View Post
Why have 5, when you can run 6 from one 5870 http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...ti-eyefinity/1
well being that the 5870 costs upwards of 2-3X as much for one extra screen might be a HUGE reason why.. I'd personally LOVE it if ATI could enable Eyefinity+Crossfire across multiple displays... then you could have each card drive 3+ displays.. a 5770 CFX would simply rock in price comparison.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:20 PM   #22
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
I'd personally LOVE it if ATI could enable Eyefinity+Crossfire across multiple displays... .
Multi-card attached displays in CrossFireX would require split frame rendering at the least, I would think. Good job the Catalyst boys are working on that as a new feature....
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:33 PM   #23
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Multi-card attached displays in CrossFireX would require split frame rendering at the least, I would think. Good job the Catalyst boys are working on that as a new feature....
thats awesome to hear it is in the works !!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:57 PM   #24
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Sweet! But I don't have a 5xxx card yet. I will buy it someday.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote