Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 22, 2016, 08:25 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Phone is beastly. Zero regrets. Do take into consideration I had a Nexus 5 for 4 years.

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2016, 09:17 PM   #92
Guesticle

Guesticle is still being judged by the masses

To those who have a Pixel, would you think it would be sturdy enough to last for ~4 years? My Galaxy S3 is on it's way out (power button and charging port issues) so I'm probably going to have to pick up a new phone soon. Looking very closely at the 128GB Pixel (not the XL). Just concerned about being able to get the same amount of use from it.
Guesticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 02:26 PM   #93
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Depends. You talking about physical durability or software reliability?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 24, 2016, 03:45 PM   #94
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesticle View Post
To those who have a Pixel, would you think it would be sturdy enough to last for ~4 years? My Galaxy S3 is on it's way out (power button and charging port issues) so I'm probably going to have to pick up a new phone soon. Looking very closely at the 128GB Pixel (not the XL). Just concerned about being able to get the same amount of use from it.
USB Type C is designed to survive at least 10,000 connect/disconnect cycles vs. just 1500 for USB Type B. The fingerprint sensor also saves a lot of wear on the power button.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2016, 02:52 AM   #95
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by .nox View Post
Phone is beastly. Zero regrets. Do take into consideration I had a Nexus 5 for 4 years.
Nexus 5 is good but the battery is horrible. I still have one in good condition apart from power button that I recently got it fixed. But because the battery could only hold for half working day I'm not bothered to use it. If this thing is as cheap as Nexus 5 I might be interested with it.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2016, 06:08 PM   #96
Guesticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Depends. You talking about physical durability or software reliability?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Thanks for the all the replies. I'm thinking physical hardware durability since Google will keep the phone updated software wise for a few years, right?

I ordered one from Verizon over Black Friday (I hope I don't regret the purchase from Verizon vs. Google directly, but supposedly it's all the same, right?). Good to hear that Type C is designed for more usage cycles... getting really annoyed at having to jiggle and place the connector just right to get it to charge. I guess time will tell regarding the power button. Apparently the S3 had a run of defective power buttons (or at least it was problem enough so that I was able to find several posts/videos about it ~2014), so I sort of got lucky mine lasted for 4 years, I guess.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:19 PM   #97
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Thanks for the all the replies. I'm thinking physical hardware durability since Google will keep the phone updated software wise for a few years, right?

I ordered one from Verizon over Black Friday (I hope I don't regret the purchase from Verizon vs. Google directly, but supposedly it's all the same, right?). Good to hear that Type C is designed for more usage cycles... getting really annoyed at having to jiggle and place the connector just right to get it to charge. I guess time will tell regarding the power button. Apparently the S3 had a run of defective power buttons (or at least it was problem enough so that I was able to find several posts/videos about it ~2014), so I sort of got lucky mine lasted for 4 years, I guess.
Software should be updated (OS and stuff) for about 3 years total ownership at least. Google has also separated a lot of built-in apps to be updated directly through the app store so you'll have those up-to-date as well for life of phone.

And, apart from drops and stuff, you only really need to worry about the battery. There are a large number of places that help with battery replacements so this should not be a problem

You could, potentially, have the phone for 3-4 years easily
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2016, 06:54 PM   #98
Guesticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Software should be updated (OS and stuff) for about 3 years total ownership at least. Google has also separated a lot of built-in apps to be updated directly through the app store so you'll have those up-to-date as well for life of phone.

And, apart from drops and stuff, you only really need to worry about the battery. There are a large number of places that help with battery replacements so this should not be a problem

You could, potentially, have the phone for 3-4 years easily
Good to hear. Just got my phone, liking so far. Only had a small issue with activating it on Verizon's network. It didn't initially want to activate on the very first power on. A restart was needed and activated properly after that. So far it feels like it is sturdy enough to last another 4 years or so (feels more solid than the S3 it's replacing, I think it's mostly the glass/metal construction vs. plastic that's giving that impression).
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:03 AM   #99
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Good to hear. Just got my phone, liking so far. Only had a small issue with activating it on Verizon's network. It didn't initially want to activate on the very first power on. A restart was needed and activated properly after that. So far it feels like it is sturdy enough to last another 4 years or so (feels more solid than the S3 it's replacing, I think it's mostly the glass/metal construction vs. plastic that's giving that impression).
You're probably gonna need a case at some point. That finish is super slippery.

-Megaman
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:01 AM   #100
Guesticle

Quote:
You're probably gonna need a case at some point. That finish is super slippery.

Yeah, I have to be extra careful to not drop it while I wait for my case to come in.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 03:13 PM   #101
theduce
Il Duce

theduce is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yeah, I have to be extra careful to not drop it while I wait for my case to come in.
Upgrade time! Wife and I are getting pixels on Wednesday. Silly kids wanted Iphone 7s.
We are all upgrading from LG G3s which were decent devices IMO.

Any thoughts on Pixel cases? I never used a case on my G3, wife and kids used one i got from amazon with a kickstand.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:38 PM   #102
Guesticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduce View Post
Upgrade time! Wife and I are getting pixels on Wednesday. Silly kids wanted Iphone 7s.
We are all upgrading from LG G3s which were decent devices IMO.

Any thoughts on Pixel cases? I never used a case on my G3, wife and kids used one i got from amazon with a kickstand.
I picked myself up a Spigen Tough Armor. Seems pretty solid (in the protective sense), but it does add a considerable amount of bulk to the phone. Since the phone has to last so long for me, I value the potential protection more than overall slimness. It does have a fold out kickstand for landscape mode, but that's the one part that doesn't seem to be particularly sturdy. Price seemed fairly reasonable @Amazon.com, I think it was $16 or so. I guess it "lacks grip" as well, with the hard case around the middle area, but *knock on wood* I haven't dropped it yet.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 04:44 AM   #103
theduce
Il Duce

theduce is still being judged by the masses

Default Impressed

First, let me say I don't care about cell phones or having the latest or greatest. I've had a couple of iPhones (from work 4s and 6) and a LG G3. Never had issues with them.

The pixel phone voice/sound quality is amazing. Called my wife while she was taking a bath and she had me on speaker. I could tell I was on speaker by the accurate representation of the bathroom echo, but her voice was crystal clear. The splashes and cat meow I heard made me feel like I was in the room. I could not believe how crisp and detailed the sound was. With our G3s she would sound like she was under water.

I called my daughter to see what her iPhone 7 sounded like and it was just horrible. Her voice was distant, garbled and inaccurate. I didn't bother to have her put me on speaker.

Wife sent a picture of one of our cats and it looks like a professional cat calendar picture.

Last edited by theduce : Dec 22, 2016 at 07:24 AM.
theduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2017, 04:11 PM   #104
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Three days into Pixel ownership.

I haven't been this happy with a phone since I got my first Blackberry.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:41 PM   #105
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchAMG View Post
Three days into Pixel ownership.

I haven't been this happy with a phone since I got my first Blackberry.
Enjoy. I'm assuming you got a 128GB Very Black XL ?

Anyways, ditto here. This phone just does what it's supposed to and does it well. Pure Android, no bs. Looking forward to how the line evolves.

-Megaman
Old Apr 12, 2017, 02:48 PM   #106
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Enjoy. I'm assuming you got a 128GB Very Black XL ?

Anyways, ditto here. This phone just does what it's supposed to and does it well. Pure Android, no bs. Looking forward to how the line evolves.
Hey dude, actually I just got the regular size (black, 128gb) -- my last three phones have been 5.7"+ and wanted to go back to something smaller. Took a little getting used to not having the massive screen but really appreciating the size. Can't say enough about the the phone -- love it.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 03:24 PM   #107
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Agree with switch, the pixel is amazing. Have a black pixel xl 128gb myself. The camera continues to amaze me. It's so nice to have a phone that isn't weighed down by bloatware

Last edited by Dave : Apr 12, 2017 at 05:45 PM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 04:47 PM   #108
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Agree with switch, the pixel is amazing. Have a black cloud 128gb myself. The camera continues to amaze me. It's so nice to have a phone that isn't weighed down by bloatware
Exactly, so many years with Samsung it just seemed normal to have all that excess weight and bloat. The Pixel feels so agile and snappy in anything you throw at it. And yes, dat camera -- like having an SLR in your pocket.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 05:47 PM   #109
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

The monthly software/security updates tho....So damn nice.

When I was looking into getting the pixel xl, a lot of people complained that the fingerprint scanner was too high up and hard to reach. I have very large hands and the phone is very easy to use.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 08:43 PM   #110
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

If Google bring out a Pixel Tablet around 8 inches in size, I'd be sold on it. My TabS is sluggish as hell now, even with a lot of bloat turned off.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:54 PM   #111
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
If Google bring out a Pixel Tablet around 8 inches in size, I'd be sold on it. My TabS is sluggish as hell now, even with a lot of bloat turned off.
Agreed.

My Tab S is also a pig these days, its been collecting dust for a year.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:39 AM   #112
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I've had the Pixel since launch and I still think its the best Android handset on the market. I've played with the S8 and its nice but still doesn't feel as smooth as the Pixel and it has a ton of useless **** on it.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:43 AM   #113
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Isn't the pixel a Verizon exclusive in the states? I'd love to give it a go, but verizon will never see another red cent from me.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:45 AM   #114
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Isn't the pixel a Verizon exclusive in the states? I'd love to give it a go, but verizon will never see another red cent from me.
You can buy it directly from Google and it will work with every domestic carrier I believe.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:16 PM   #115
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
You can buy it directly from Google and it will work with every domestic carrier I believe.
I went to their buy page and it only shows verizon.. I'll check with T-mo though, thanks.

https://madeby.google.com/phone/

edit: Nope - you're right. It just needs to be unlocked.

https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../7107188?hl=en

Now I just have to pitch it to the wife
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:22 PM   #116
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

T-Mobile doesnt sell the pixel but there is this:

https://www.t-mobile.com/offer/googl...one-offer.html

I bought my Pixel XL 128GB through Project Fi. I tried Project Fi for a month, decided it wasn't for me and switched to T-Mobile. They ended up giving me all $325 in one big bill credit instead of over 24 months. I also got a $150 gift card for switching carriers.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:28 PM   #117
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

I bought my Pixel XL 128GB through Project Fi. I tried Project Fi for a month, decided it wasn't for me and switched to T-Mobile. They ended up giving me all $325 in one big bill credit instead of over 24 months. I also got a $150 gift card for switching carriers.
What new phone did you go with? Or did you get to keep your Pixel?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:29 PM   #118
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:

T-mo has done very well by my family since we switched over a year ago. I wouldn't get anything extra from them, but as solid as they've been + having the pixel would make phone life pretty sweet for me. Love my 6+ but a couple of aspects have left me a little cool towards iOS lately.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 04:12 PM   #119
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Single speaker bottom firing - my phone is 85% media device, and 10% camera and 5% phone.

Mounted on my dash, that speaker is a deal breaker for me. It might sound picky, but I don't care. I want my music and movies blasting out of multiple, front facing speakers lol. I may never get another phone
Old Apr 13, 2017, 04:35 PM   #120
.nox
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Single speaker bottom firing - my phone is 85% media device, and 10% camera and 5% phone.

Mounted on my dash, that speaker is a deal breaker for me. It might sound picky, but I don't care. I want my music and movies blasting out of multiple, front facing speakers lol. I may never get another phone
Yeah that's understandable. Given that the Nexus 5 was decent enough for my needs, pretty much anything will do the job. It's really not that bad, but I can see how much of a downgrade it can be from stereo front facing speakers.

-Megaman