Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 17, 2016, 02:39 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
Also going with Verizon as your carrier partner good luck pushing updates in any form of timely fashion or having an unlocked bootloader (though given the "pixel" branding they might not care about users having root anymore (another reason I'm waiting)
Seriously. I had a Galaxy Nexus back in the day and VZW effectively turned it into a piece of junk. They constantly delayed Google patches/updates. After that, the Nexus 5 wasn't even offered on VZW. They must have thrown money at Google or something to get them back on their good side. They claim they won't hold back updates this time around, but I'd like to wait and see. Either way, I could just get one off the store and stick with T-Mobile, so it's not a huge deal.

Overall the device is a bit underwhelming. It looks like an iPhone clone and is priced like an iPhone. I've been a die hard Nexus fan for the past 5 years or so, but nothing about it makes me really interested. I'd like to get a new phone within the next six months or so. Not sure what to get, I was hoping the Pixel would be it.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 08:04 PM   #32
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Haven't used my HTC One M7 much but I notice the camera has the much talked about purple hue issue after a year of use early on.
I warrantied mine near the end of the first year that I had it. I've not had it since. I'm seriously thinking of getting a Pixel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2016, 02:39 AM   #33
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
If you were shopping for an Android device that would work on the Sprint network, what would you pick up?
Can't tell, because we ain't have Sprint over here. But seriously, for the price they ask you can get almost every other device you can imagine (crapple-products aside, of course).

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:28 AM   #34
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:03 PM   #35
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Basically, Google went with a perfectly unexciting, normal feeling physical hardware specs/design and went big on refining the crap outta the software. Which is great, because now we should see Samsung, LG, HTC, Huawei, OnePlus etc etc etc take those great software improvements and give us more interesting physical designs.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:03 AM   #36
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Ive been reading some reviews and comparisons to the iP7 and it seems to go back and forth on the best camera ever. Some people prefer the realistic colors of the iP7 and some prefer the more cooler/sometimes saturated look of the Pixel. I think either way you go you got a good camera cause they both shoot in RAW so you can always add post effects afterwards to make the picture come out as desired.

A lot of the reviewers arent too impressed with its design though.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2016, 01:55 AM   #37
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Ive been reading some reviews and comparisons to the iP7 and it seems to go back and forth on the best camera ever. Some people prefer the realistic colors of the iP7 and some prefer the more cooler/sometimes saturated look of the Pixel. I think either way you go you got a good camera cause they both shoot in RAW so you can always add post effects afterwards to make the picture come out as desired.

A lot of the reviewers arent too impressed with its design though.
The thing is, people like to complain how the Pixel is boring and all that but praise/justify the iP7 design (that's been used for 3 years straight) just because it's Apple. This may sound hypocritical of me cause I just ordered an iP7 Plus but come on now... the Pixel is obviously inspired by the iPhone 6-7.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2016, 02:21 AM   #38
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Which is the same as HTC M series for awhile and many other phones. Getting the idea here? It's a shape that people currently kinda just like.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Oct 19, 2016, 09:22 AM   #39
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
The thing is, people like to complain how the Pixel is boring and all that but praise/justify the iP7 design (that's been used for 3 years straight) just because it's Apple. This may sound hypocritical of me cause I just ordered an iP7 Plus but come on now... the Pixel is obviously inspired by the iPhone 6-7.
Well you cant blame Apple for using their own design. People expected google to come out with something a bit more unique than what the Pixel is. Its not like they dont have the money to do some R&D to create an amazing unique design.

Im not a fan of the slab of glass + the fingerprint reader on the back.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2016, 09:43 AM   #40
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Honestly the most appealing thing about the Pixel is that Google can finally optimize Android battery life and get closer to what the iPhone gets in terms of battery life. One of the few advantages of a closed system.

That review Elysian post says the Pixel battery life is ok but the XL is really good. Makes me consider getting an XL.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:54 AM   #41
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Well you cant blame Apple for using their own design. People expected google to come out with something a bit more unique than what the Pixel is. Its not like they dont have the money to do some R&D to create an amazing unique design.

Im not a fan of the slab of glass + the fingerprint reader on the back.
I have zero interest in a Google-ized iPhone clone... especially at $650. Much prefer the solid, no-nonsense functionality of the Nexus line.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:33 PM   #42
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

the only things that kinda stand out right now is the camera and batterylife, if that's worth around 900 bucks for you, go get it

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2016, 05:39 PM   #43
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

I'm getting an XL.

One of the standout features for me is the Assistant, I dock my phone in my car and it just sounds like a great handsfree experience - telling it to navigate without having to stop somewhere and fiddle around with Google Maps is worth the price alone.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2016, 01:33 AM   #44
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

But.. that feature is just software and you can already un-offically enable it on other phones.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10...id-7-0-device/

System:
Old Oct 21, 2016, 02:28 AM   #45
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Got tempted to get a Pixel, partially cause I want a new phone (G2 is getting old) and I value a good camera on it, and partially I want a VR thing to experiment with.
But apparently they´re not sold here, so.. I dunno.. maybe go S7 and Gear VR instead.

Never had a nexus so I was kinda looking forward to that pure android aspect of things aswell.
Had a HTC Hero, S2 and this G2, and it doesnt take long for the updates to be vague promises that are then forgotten and never come out.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 04:25 AM   #46
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Magus, and others getting these phones, LEMME KNOW how they are!!!

Very curious, I probably won't be able to get one, but really wished I could though.
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2016, 08:46 AM   #47
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
I'm getting an XL.

One of the standout features for me is the Assistant, I dock my phone in my car and it just sounds like a great handsfree experience - telling it to navigate without having to stop somewhere and fiddle around with Google Maps is worth the price alone.
You can do that already with many phones I believe, and have been able to for a year or two at least.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2016, 09:08 AM   #48
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
But.. that feature is just software and you can already un-offically enable it on other phones.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10...id-7-0-device/
Yeah, but it requires tweaking and is not the smooth experience that comes straight from the manufacturer.

There's no point if it's going to give me occasional issues -- I've flashed and tweaked phones these past few years; TWRP this, that, CM this and that... I've gone through OnePlus, Samsung, Xiaomi, and currently using a LeEco Le Pro 1 (yea, Google that one).

I think I'm looking now for a more streamlined experience that just works.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 09:11 AM   #49
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
You can do that already with many phones I believe, and have been able to for a year or two at least.
That's the "Trusted Voice" feature that came out mid-2015, but it's not the same as the assistant which will not only unlock your phone, but you can do half the stuff you used to have to use your fingers for -- navigate, play songs via spotify, text -- just a way better experience.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 09:32 AM   #50
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
That's the "Trusted Voice" feature that came out mid-2015, but it's not the same as the assistant which will not only unlock your phone, but you can do half the stuff you used to have to use your fingers for -- navigate, play songs via spotify, text -- just a way better experience.
Gotcha
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:14 AM   #51
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Yeah, but it requires tweaking and is not the smooth experience that comes straight from the manufacturer.

There's no point if it's going to give me occasional issues -- I've flashed and tweaked phones these past few years; TWRP this, that, CM this and that... I've gone through OnePlus, Samsung, Xiaomi, and currently using a LeEco Le Pro 1 (yea, Google that one).

I think I'm looking now for a more streamlined experience that just works.
Downloading the Google App (or the launcher, or whatever it's called) and enabling the 'Ok Google' will do this already. You don't even need to the launcher as your default.
Quote:
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:26 AM   #52
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

How do you do that? Just by having the Launcher installed, it'll allow me to unlock the device with my voice, and then start navigation, play songs, etc?

I use Nova Launcher as my default, and would continue using that.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:28 AM   #53
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Why the hell didn't they make it waterproof & dustproof?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:37 AM   #54
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

OK just tried the Google Launcher solution.

I can confirm it only 'listens' to your voice if your phone is charging or the phone is "on" and not when it is just sitting there, and the 'navigation' is flawed.. It will accept the navigate command, but will not launch navigation immediately - it takes me to a search page for Google Maps

This is at least on my CM 12.1 device.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:56 AM   #55
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
OK just tried the Google Launcher solution.

I can confirm it only 'listens' to your voice if your phone is charging or the phone is "on" and not when it is just sitting there, and the 'navigation' is flawed.. It will accept the navigate command, but will not launch navigation immediately - it takes me to a search page for Google Maps

This is at least on my CM 12.1 device.
I thought it listened all the time? It felt like that on my old Nexus 5 and 6. I know Siri is always listening (settings tweak obviously). But she's just stupid.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:18 AM   #56
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

There's an option somewhere to have it listen all the time, but I'm not sure what OS version it needs to do that.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:23 AM   #57
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

Yea there is an option, but I believe that only refers to when the screen is on, or maybe it's just the fact I'm on CM.

That said, I've managed to make it navigate and send texts, the only thing I miss is the voice feedback. But surprisingly useful, still. Thanks Metroid
Old Oct 21, 2016, 01:40 PM   #58
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

You can make it listen all the time by going into that Google launcher's settings.

As for the navigation keyword. It will indeed launch navigation, but it waits for a few seconds. If you look at the screen, it's got a timeout bar. Once in navigation, you can easily go 'Ok Google, end navigation' or even navigate to another location again.

I don't think it works when your screen is locked though.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 21, 2016, 01:48 PM   #59
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Why the hell didn't they make it waterproof & dustproof?
Because it wasn't that big a deal until Apple did it and Samsung massively promoted it for it's super successful S7 phones.

Samsung and Sony have had those features for ages and yet the mindshare and share of voice on these features didn't really get out there for the average user till Apple had it in all its advertising, and Samsung with the S7/Edge in theirs.

Now it is expected, and Google was probably too far in their development plan.

Personally, I am more concerned about the continued lack of wireless charging
Old Oct 21, 2016, 09:41 PM   #60
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I'll have mine on Tuesday.