Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:52 AM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Samsung products have never treated me well. The fact that they pushed out such a flawed phone doesn't help my impression of them.
On the other hand, I've never had an issue with a single Samsung device, and I've owned numerous Samsung phones and tablets going back several generations.
This is a big bump in the road from them, they will recover of course, but on a personal note as an avid Note user/enthusiast, no other device on the market is comparable or comes close to the total package the Note7 offers -- sucks having to sit on the fence now.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:58 AM   #152
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Went note 5.
Three days with the stylus and there isn't any going back.

The pixel absolutely had zero appeal.
the S7 Edge had too much curve, and no stylus.

If the note 5 had water resistance and SD card, it would be perfect. the Note 7 was pretty much my dream phone, note 5 is runner up. Still a beautiful AMOLED screen, 800nits max brightness in auto mode (which is still pretty dang high), stylus, a good camera, etc.

I wonder how Samsung will make the note 8 waterproof AND have a changeable battery.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:10 PM   #153
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Samsung products have never treated me well. The fact that they pushed out such a flawed phone doesn't help my impression of them.
never had a problem with them and have had tons of Samsung products TV's, DVD & blu ray players, refrigerators, 12.2 Note Pro and Samsung Nook all worked or working fine

phone was not flawed the battery was they got unlucky and a whole line of batteries that were contaminated
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 11, 2016, 01:05 PM   #154
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Production has ended for the Note 7 permanently and official discountinued:

Quote:
Less than a month after the recall and exchange program was first announced, the company is permanently ending all production, sales and replacement of the phone. In what appears to be a never-ending PR nightmare for the firm, it has been found that replacement phones are prone to exploding as well. A man in Kentucky woke up to a room full of smoke emitted from a replacement phone two days ago and recently a Southwest plane had to be evacuated when a replacement phone caught fire.
http://www.investopedia.com/news/sam...es-aapl-ssnlf/

This is why you don't rush your product to market folks.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2016, 07:05 AM   #155
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Production has ended for the Note 7 permanently and official discountinued:

http://www.investopedia.com/news/sam...es-aapl-ssnlf/

This is why you don't rush your product to market folks.
Damn tootin. Samsung really fornicated the canine on this one, but there are plenty of alternatives from different companies.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2016, 07:12 AM   #156
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

My Samsung washer apparently will blow up too, they say to only wash bulky items on delicate until they look into it. I still like Samsung when it comes to phones though.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2016, 08:33 AM   #157
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
Damn tootin. Samsung really fornicated the canine on this one, but there are plenty of alternatives from different companies.
Not really, there's no Note alternative. I did miss some of the features when I switched from my Note 5 to iOS. I'm fine without them now, but for a while I really wished I had a stylus.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2016, 03:06 PM   #158
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Not really, there's no Note alternative. I did miss some of the features when I switched from my Note 5 to iOS. I'm fine without them now, but for a while I really wished I had a stylus.
That's exactly it for me. The closest thing to the note 7, is the note 5.
I can see why people like this phone so much. Stylus really is a nice add!

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Quote:
Old Oct 12, 2016, 04:07 PM   #159
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

When I was testign the Note 5, I was like damn, this is a nice phone.

It felt great. It was fast. Unfortunately the battery life was a joke.

Too bad about the Note 7. That's going to hurt.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2016, 08:45 PM   #160
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
When I was testign the Note 5, I was like damn, this is a nice phone.

It felt great. It was fast. Unfortunately the battery life was a joke.

Too bad about the Note 7. That's going to hurt.
Bad battery life? I've had zero issues. I've been pushing it HARD the past day, installing apps, lots of 100% brightness screen on time, customizing it, and using it for games like Asphalt 8 and non-Stop-Night. Still have 21%, and I really doubt I'll ever put it through another day as tough as this one....

Edit: This is on Android MM, which apparently the device received a MASSIVE boost in performance and such from. So that may be a factor here.

Quote:
Old Oct 12, 2016, 09:09 PM   #161
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Bad battery life? I've had zero issues. I've been pushing it HARD the past day, installing apps, lots of 100% brightness screen on time, customizing it, and using it for games like Asphalt 8 and non-Stop-Night. Still have 21%, and I really doubt I'll ever put it through another day as tough as this one....

Edit: This is on Android MM, which apparently the device received a MASSIVE boost in performance and such from. So that may be a factor here.
He just has an Apple hardon still

My N5 lasted about a day and a half with heavy use, above average for Android.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2016, 09:44 PM   #162
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

My awful Note 5 battery life is well documented here. I never even got 16hrs of up time, much less more than 4hrs of screen on time. It was putrid, and drove me to the iPhone.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:48 PM   #163
Deimos
Radeon Sea Islands

Deimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete stranger

I didn't like my note 5 at all. The loss of the microsd slot really jilted me which is why I jumped on the Note 7 so quickly.

I'm picking up a Galaxy S7 Edge tonight, it looks to be the best compromise, the Note 5 can suck it.

In saying that though, if I had not sold my Note 5 I would have gone back to it. My Note 4, which I still have kicking around, just doesn't cut the mustard. I got a shitty variant (parallel imported).

Mars:
Intel S2600CP4 | Dual Xeon E5-2670 (Octa core HT 3.3Ghz) | 64GB DDR3 ECC 1600Mhz | 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 SSD RAID 0 (OS) + 240GB Vertex 2 3.5" (VMs) | Intel RAID Module RMS25PB080 + 8 X 2TB WD RAID 5

Deimos on Steam
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 05:31 AM   #164
{WOR}lock
Vault Dweller

{WOR}lock is still being judged by the masses

Well the Note 7 was upgrade phone of choice, so I guess now I might look harder at maybe the LG V20.

I wonder if this whole saga is damaging enough for Samsung to put the Note products on the backburner for a while or even discontinue the line altogether.
{WOR}lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 08:04 AM   #165
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by {WOR}lock View Post
Well the Note 7 was upgrade phone of choice, so I guess now I might look harder at maybe the LG V20.

I wonder if this whole saga is damaging enough for Samsung to put the Note products on the backburner for a while or even discontinue the line altogether.
Highly doubt it. They are the only company hitting the large screen + stylus phone.
They bay rebrand it to something like the "S8 Style" or something, but it won't go anywhere.

Quote:
Old Oct 13, 2016, 07:58 PM   #166
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Lithium battery developer (local boy!) has some insight as to what happened:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...hone-1.3802882

Quote:
Metal impurities or a change in the electrolyte system could be what's causing Galaxy Note 7 batteries to explode, forcing Samsung to issue a global recall of its newest smartphone, according to an expert.

"There are a number of things that can go wrong with high energy density lithium-ion cells that are operated at higher voltages being used in modern phones," said Dalhousie University professor Jeff Dahn.

He is a pioneer in the development of the lithium-ion batteries used in cellphones and automobiles.

Dahn said if there are metal impurities in the positive electrode, they can dissolve and create internal short circuits in the cell. If Samsung has changed the electrolyte system, that could also lead to problems, he added.

It's not that Samsung has reached the limit of what it can do with lithium-ion batteries, said Dahn. In fact, he said the lithium-ion hasn't been used to its full potential.

"Other lithium-ion cells used by, for example Apple, have similar characteristics to the Samsung cells, but they're clearly not having the same issues. So I think there's just something weird with the chemistry in those new Note 7 cells."
It maybe that the battery had to be designed for the thinness of the new phone that caused the issue.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 08:44 PM   #167
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Doesn't the S7 Edge have not only a bigger battery but the device itself is physically smaller in every way?

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2016, 08:25 PM   #168
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Yep I think the internal stylus slot kinda restricts internal configuration on the Notes though.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2016, 06:32 PM   #169
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Samsung has enough assets to recover from this. But their place as a global cellphone leader is at stake.

My guess is Note 8 will be the best phone and best deal ever. If not, Samsung might be heading downhill.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2016, 07:24 PM   #170
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy S8 Will Be The Only Company Flagship Next Year Claims Korean Media

http://wccftech.com/samsung-flagship...-korean-media/

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:17 PM   #171
A2597
A Peculiar Person

I'mma laugh when there's an S8-Style in the mix of S8 and S8-Edge

Quote: