Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 6, 2016, 09:52 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

So my LG G3 hard bricked on me.
(Like...nothing. Green screen of doom, I've done the hard brick fix, but it just re-bricks itself).

So, borrowing an old Droid Razr, and in October I'm going to make use of my mother in laws upgrade.

I'm guessing in a month they'll have this battery issue and the SPen issue sorted out, and everything will be on the up and up. So that leaves me with the question of, do I get the Note, or the S7Edge? I don't care about the Iris scanner at all, but the Spen would be a nice add for me...

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:06 AM   #92
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
It’s believed that the South Korean company will take a $1 billion hit as a result of the recall
ouch

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2016/09/06/samsung-3/#gref

didn't apple just deny any battery problems in the past I remember a few ipod blowing up
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:13 PM   #93
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
ouch

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2016/09/06/samsung-3/#gref

didn't apple just deny any battery problems in the past I remember a few ipod blowing up
This is why I am giving major kudos to Samsung for how they have responded.

I get the mocking of Samsung and what not, but this is the right thing to do.

It does surprise me how many reports say "exploding batteries". By design, these batteries cannot explode, only catch fire. I suppose "exploding phones" is a catchier headline than "phones catching on fire".
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 6, 2016, 02:32 PM   #94
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post

It does surprise me how many reports say "exploding batteries". By design, these batteries cannot explode, only catch fire. I suppose "exploding phones" is a catchier headline than "phones catching on fire".

I may get one still when and if the fixed ones come out soon
wish they would say when new ones with a better battery will hit the stores

but I will most likely get this or the iPhone 7 plus
Old Sep 6, 2016, 03:25 PM   #95
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

I may get one still when and if the fixed ones come out soon
wish they would say when new ones with a better battery will hit the stores

but I will most likely get this or the iPhone 7 plus
It could be a while before you would be able to buy one I reckon.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 06:08 PM   #96
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:

What design prevents these batteries from exploding?

Samsung customer service is garbage, at least up here. Had a few friends who contacted Samsung about the recall only to be told they won't be replacing the phones in Canada because we haven't had a confirmed incident here. This is despite Samsung posting a notice of recall on their website with a CS number specifically for Canada. /facepalm

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2016, 06:26 PM   #97
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
What design prevents these batteries from exploding?

Samsung customer service is garbage, at least up here. Had a few friends who contacted Samsung about the recall only to be told they won't be replacing the phones in Canada because we haven't had a confirmed incident here. This is despite Samsung posting a notice of recall on their website with a CS number specifically for Canada. /facepalm
http://chemistry.about.com/od/everyd...Catch-Fire.htm

Explosions typically require a specific set of conditions. The way phone batteries are designed typically prevents that, though not fires.

Can they explode? Perhaps. But the majority of situations are going to be fires (as in the case of the videos I've seen so far).

I could be wrong though since I haven't seen all the examples
Old Sep 6, 2016, 06:51 PM   #98
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Thermal runaway is described in your link. Seems to be the common cause of exploding/bursting batteries. If the batteries are indeed contaminated with metal flakes that can cause shorts, thermal runaway can absolutely happen.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2016, 09:00 PM   #99
Deimos
Radeon Sea Islands

Deimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
It could be a while before you would be able to buy one I reckon.
Samsung told me 4 weeks for a replacement. Apparently the batches sold in China are not affected by this issue so no recall there.

Still no reported incidents in NZ. Temp phone should arrive "hopefully tomorrow" according to the Sammy rep.

Mars:
Intel S2600CP4 | Dual Xeon E5-2670 (Octa core HT 3.3Ghz) | 64GB DDR3 ECC 1600Mhz | 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 SSD RAID 0 (OS) + 240GB Vertex 2 3.5" (VMs) | Intel RAID Module RMS25PB080 + 8 X 2TB WD RAID 5

Deimos on Steam
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2016, 08:28 AM   #100
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:17 PM   #101
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I'm hoping they extend the note promo in October to get customers back after this issue. (Because on October 9th, I'll be getting the note 7! Boo yea! (still sad about my G3 though...was a great phone)

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Quote:
Old Sep 8, 2016, 02:36 PM   #102
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
I'm hoping they extend the note promo in October to get customers back after this issue. (Because on October 9th, I'll be getting the note 7! Boo yea! (still sad about my G3 though...was a great phone)
I am expecting a sale/discounted base price especially with the holiday period coming up.

I didn't realize they had sold as many as they had already.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 05:42 PM   #103
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I am expecting a sale/discounted base price especially with the holiday period coming up.

I didn't realize they had sold as many as they had already.

I ain't paying (and I guess my boss was like.. "WTF?! $950 for a Note 7.. Wasn't the last one just $500-550?!?")

I'll hold off for the Note 8. :-)
Old Sep 15, 2016, 05:23 PM   #104
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Sep 21, 2016, 07:29 AM   #105
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Note 7s going back on sale in the USA today. Verizon and Sprint both selling them now.

Quote:
Old Sep 21, 2016, 08:50 AM   #106
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Note 7s going back on sale in the USA today. Verizon and Sprint both selling them now.
Got mine replaced on Monday at a corporate store.
Inconvenient, yes, but couldn't be happier with any other phone.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:21 AM   #107
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Ya gonna push my old note 2 another year... its still decent for that old a phone but I want a serviceable battery again. And a flat screen alternative.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2016, 04:27 PM   #108
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

lets just pile on

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...z&ocid=U147DHP

a 4 year old note 2

might as well require all devices to be off any of them can lose a battery
Old Sep 24, 2016, 08:12 PM   #109
{WOR}lock
Vault Dweller

{WOR}lock is still being judged by the masses

In all honesty i'd treat that Note 2 incident as an outlier. We don't know enough about that particular persons phone to say it's a Samsung battery issue - Note 2s are old enough now for people to be using replacement ebay batteries.

Sucks for Samsung though - I'm still rocking a Note 4 and I have to admit the whole battery thing has even made me a little nervous.
{WOR}lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2016, 01:21 PM   #110
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Ordered my note 7. All the stores around here sold out quickly, so have to wait until the 4th for it to be sent to me.

C'mon next week!

Quote:
Old Sep 27, 2016, 02:26 PM   #111
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Old Sep 29, 2016, 03:00 AM   #112
Deimos
Radeon Sea Islands

Deimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete stranger

Sent my phone back Monday, got the replacement today.

They told me to send back the phone without any accesories so I pilfered the stylus and sim/mem card tray. Replacement was box new.

Oh yeah, they sent me a Galaxy J5 as a 'temp' phone and told me to keep it, I never used it, dug out my Note 4 instead.

All in all I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

Mars:
Intel S2600CP4 | Dual Xeon E5-2670 (Octa core HT 3.3Ghz) | 64GB DDR3 ECC 1600Mhz | 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 SSD RAID 0 (OS) + 240GB Vertex 2 3.5" (VMs) | Intel RAID Module RMS25PB080 + 8 X 2TB WD RAID 5

Deimos on Steam
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2016, 09:29 AM   #113
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

You definitely came out on top as long as you dont mind the hassle.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:51 AM   #114
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Ship date moved to the 5th...
Hoping I get it next week. Been using a Droid Rzr, and it's painfully slow my today's standards. (But, I can call and text, so that's good!)

Quote:
Old Sep 29, 2016, 06:10 PM   #115
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

exchange mine from tmobile, they also didn't require anything else just the phone so kept the charger/pin nibs, usb adapter/cable.

not sure but feels like old phone had better battery life though.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:25 AM   #116
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
exchange mine from tmobile, they also didn't require anything else just the phone so kept the charger/pin nibs, usb adapter/cable.

not sure but feels like old phone had better battery life though.

And you would be correct. The new batteries weren't tested on the re-design. So, some capacity variance is noted. 20-30 charge cycles and you should see pretty close to rated life.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 02:26 PM   #117
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
And you would be correct. The new batteries weren't tested on the re-design. So, some capacity variance is noted. 20-30 charge cycles and you should see pretty close to rated life.
Yep, have to normalize the battery.

Is it still best practice to drain the battery to 1-0% before the first few charges? Or are we past that now?

Quote:
Old Oct 3, 2016, 03:48 AM   #118
Flyordie
Lets roll...

At this point, its best to never charge to 100%. 70% charges allow the battery to last like 3,000 charge cycles. 100% charges give ya only about 400 cycles (lifespan = 85% capacity)
Old Oct 3, 2016, 08:41 AM   #119
A2597
A Peculiar Person

How does on realistically pull that off?
And only 400 cycles? Good grief battery tech has a long way to go yet!

Quote:
Old Oct 5, 2016, 01:01 AM   #120
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Quote:
How does on realistically pull that off?
And only 400 cycles? Good grief battery tech has a long way to go yet!

Well, my ZuneHD is still going strong on its original battery... Approaching 2,500 charge cycles. 7 years old. Battery life is degraded though. Just not as much since I never really charged it 100% every day. Voltage kills lithium batteries. The Note 5 battery is rated to achieve best lifespan at 3.7V but its charged to 4.2V to get to its desired capacity.