Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 11, 2015, 05:11 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The disadvantage of iOS is also the one physical home button, with no other navigation buttons.

Android has dedicated on-screen navigation buttons per the Android standard, and on many phones dedicated physical buttons. Not really sure how you call that an advantage for iOS.

I'm not sure you want to pecker measure on who is wrong more often
Going back to the video I posted, you can see the implementation of the 3D touch addresses shortfalls with widgets AND with navigation. You're not getting a true back button, per se, but you are getting proper navigation and some additional multitasking options without having to engage the home button.

It's actually pretty decent. It's one of the better features of Windows 8.x/10, the swiping in from the side to switch apps, and it make sense to do that on a small screen.

So yes, iOS has limitations. And yes, Apple has worked to make some of those limitations less limiting, and in some ways, borrowing features out there and iterating to make it a more seamless feel on their hardware.

From what I've seen, it's actually pretty decent what they've done.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2015, 08:26 PM   #152
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Preordering. 2gb RAM seems to be confirmed.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:52 AM   #153
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Must not have spent any signficant time with a modern version of iOS or OSX then... I operate in all the named platforms on a regular basis and the workflow on Apple's UIs is the easiest to use at a low level and also to master.
Oh if you make a statement like that your risk de-railing the entire thread. It's a preference, nothing more. Allot of us work in IT, and work across all the platforms, and this debate is played out bs.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 12, 2015, 05:01 AM   #154
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

I may pick up the iPad Pro. But, not thrilled about the price, the pencil should be included and I'd prefer a 64GB version (would be forced into the 128GB version as our 32GB iPad is full).

Would be a bit concerned about my 4 yr old lugging it around the house though. We have a iPad 1 & 3 and she's constanty glued to them. She won't go potty without one. I think she'd have fun drawing with the pencil on there.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2015, 09:26 AM   #155
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Oh if you make a statement like that your risk de-railing the entire thread. It's a preference, nothing more. Allot of us work in IT, and work across all the platforms, and this debate is played out bs.
You're doing this wrong. State opinion as fact only
Old Sep 12, 2015, 09:28 AM   #156
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I may pick up the iPad Pro. But, not thrilled about the price, the pencil should be included and I'd prefer a 64GB version (would be forced into the 128GB version as our 32GB iPad is full).

Would be a bit concerned about my 4 yr old lugging it around the house though. We have a iPad 1 & 3 and she's constanty glued to them. She won't go potty without one. I think she'd have fun drawing with the pencil on there.
The pencil is plastic and costs a pretty penny. A surface would be a better investment in that case.

Or a regular iPad with a different/better stylus + save money.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:08 PM   #157
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The pencil is plastic and costs a pretty penny. A surface would be a better investment in that case.

Or a regular iPad with a different/better stylus + save money.
i'll stick with my samsung 12.2 note pro it came with a pencil that I never use is cheaper and has a card slot

now surface pro 4 might tempt me

might have to go back to iPhone

as I need square as boa mobile pay is not going to have a EMV reader and the new boa system is 800 bucks plus monthly fees
https://squareup.com/contactless-chip-reader
and square doesn't do windows phone and they got the emv mobile phone credit card reader

6s Plus 128GB for 950 bucks
and still no card slot

don't know if my ios apps i have are worth going with that over android

any new 1520 sized android's coming ?

Last edited by bill dennison : Sep 12, 2015 at 12:17 PM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:38 PM   #158
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post

Or just buy The Pencil that already existed for the iPad & iPhone....53's The Pencil. And it's half the price.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:39 AM   #159
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Or just buy The Pencil that already existed for the iPad & iPhone....53's The Pencil. And it's half the price.
That's the one I was thinking about too
Old Sep 14, 2015, 09:24 AM   #160
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

might have to go back to iPhone

The 6+ is levels above any previous versions. Pricey though.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:41 PM   #161
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Predicted the future
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2015, 04:11 PM   #162
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

Apple filed for a patent on what could've been a keyboard version of the smart cover on August 11, 2011. Almost a year before the release of the Surface.

http://www.wired.com/2012/08/watch-o...play-keyboard/

Last edited by 1madman1 : Sep 14, 2015 at 04:18 PM.
1madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2015, 04:19 PM   #163
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

So wife is going to get the 6S. Pretty nice upgrade from the 5.
(Was planning on just going to the 6, but the better camera and touch controls are worth 5$ / mo extra over two years) Also, 2GB RAM will be very nice.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2015, 07:57 PM   #164
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1madman1 View Post
Apple filed for a patent on what could've been a keyboard version of the smart cover on August 11, 2011. Almost a year before the release of the Surface.

http://www.wired.com/2012/08/watch-o...play-keyboard/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

Please look up prior art and functionality. A marketing presentation doesn't invalidate prior items.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 08:50 PM   #165
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

Please look up prior art and functionality. A marketing presentation doesn't invalidate prior items.
The patent is for a very specific implementation of detachable touchscreen OLED display, one of the given examples of function was as a keyboard. Apple (or anyone else for that matter) is still a ways off from producing anything like that. I was just pointing an issue with the message in the comic.

I picked up my first tablet convertible, an IBM Transnote, way back in 2001 and I'm positive they existed well before even that.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 08:55 PM   #166
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
The patent is for a very specific implementation of detachable touchscreen OLED display, one of the given examples of function was as a keyboard. Apple (or anyone else for that matter) is still a ways off from producing anything like that. I was just pointing an issue with the message in the comic.
The message was about... the message.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 09:01 PM   #167
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

who cares till they can run full os x on a ipad pro that has a usb3 port and card slot, ipad pro is still just a over grown iPhone
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:00 PM   #168
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
who cares till they can run full os x on a ipad pro that has a usb3 port and card slot, ipad pro is still just a over grown iPhone
OSX will be phased out before that happens, IMO.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:50 PM   #169
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Exactly, an oversized fisher price piece of tech.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2015, 07:40 AM   #170
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Give it a few more years and I bet Macbooks will be history. I see where Apple is planning to go with this.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 02:07 PM   #171
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Content blocking is going to be a game changer. Can't wait to install iOS 9 tonight. Mobile ads have been getting ridiculous.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 02:39 PM   #172
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Content blocking is going to be a game changer. Can't wait to install iOS 9 tonight. Mobile ads have been getting ridiculous.
You mean ad block? Something that's been around since Android first came out?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 02:50 PM   #173
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
You mean ad block? Something that's been around since Android first came out?
They've added content blocking support for Safari. I'm on 9.1 beta but haven't tried it yet. There has been 3rd party browsers with ad blocking for a while.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 03:03 PM   #174
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
They've added content blocking support for Safari. I'm on 9.1 beta but haven't tried it yet. There has been 3rd party browsers with ad blocking for a while.
To call it a game changer is ridiculous, unless the game Razeus keeps referring to is staying perpetually behind Android, then catching up certainly is a game changer.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 04:49 PM   #175
Java Cool Dude
With my family

Java Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled with

So is there going to be an iPad Air 3 or nah?
Java Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2015, 04:56 PM   #176
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
To call it a game changer is ridiculous, unless the game Razeus keeps referring to is staying perpetually behind Android, then catching up certainly is a game changer.
Says the man whose platform still doesn't have a version of Apple pay or Touch ID or 3D Touch and gets apps after iOS gets them. Have fun messing around with half baked widgets.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 07:08 PM   #177
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Says the man whose platform still doesn't have a version of Apple pay or Touch ID or 3D Touch and gets apps after iOS gets them. Have fun messing around with half baked widgets.
Isn't he on Android? Which is a platform that has versions of everything you just mentioned but a pressure sensitive screen? Which is hardly a mind blowing feature.

System:
Old Sep 16, 2015, 07:51 PM   #178
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Isn't he on Android? Which is a platform that has versions of everything you just mentioned but a pressure sensitive screen? Which is hardly a mind blowing feature.
Huawei had Force Touch debuted before Apple. Also pretty sure Motorola originally created the modern facsimile many years ago.

Last edited by Sazar : Sep 16, 2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 08:10 PM   #179
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Troll harder whole post fell completely flat. You know what happens to me when a place doesn't have NFC payments? I use my phone anyways because it works on any card reader. Let me know when your phone finally gets even half baked widgets, much less extremely useful ones. Your phone just got 2gb if ram, how cute I've had ad block since my Moto Droid, oooo big game changer
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:34 AM   #180
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands