Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 15, 2015, 08:36 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

That's acutally better as it reads sd card and also can connect directly to a pc with your smartphone.

However, with these things you gotta be careful about the opennings on your cases. The adapter I posted worked fine for my s6 edge in spigen cases but not with my note 5 had some clearance issues.
It's slower, and the other one comes with the standard USB adapter as well. Also says it only supports a 32gb card max.

Last edited by Elysian : Sep 15, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2015, 09:38 AM   #182
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

So how are people's opinion on this phone a month later? Still running fast, or getting the normal touchwiz lag? Friend is looking at this and the G4.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:43 AM   #183
SoCalMX70
Radeon R700

SoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Runs fine for me! Everything is still snappy. Battery is decent, but certainly not exceptional. I work at a desk, so that doesn't bother me. I'm on T-mobile and have seen about 3 small updates already, but I think that is just for the Samsung Pay thing.

Apps that you rarely use always take a little longer to open, but anything you use day to day is very quick and snappy.

For anyone else on TMo, just make sure you disable all the monitoring and notifications in the "T-Mobile My Account" app. That app eats battery more than anything from what I've seen.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:54 AM   #184
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

My phone is still the fastest phone I've ever had.

Battery life is just okay, but my gf's G4 doesn't seem any better (actually seems worse most days).

One of the TMo updates was the Stagefright fix.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:39 AM   #185
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMX70 View Post
Runs fine for me! Everything is still snappy. Battery is decent, but certainly not exceptional. I work at a desk, so that doesn't bother me. I'm on T-mobile and have seen about 3 small updates already, but I think that is just for the Samsung Pay thing.

Apps that you rarely use always take a little longer to open, but anything you use day to day is very quick and snappy.

For anyone else on TMo, just make sure you disable all the monitoring and notifications in the "T-Mobile My Account" app. That app eats battery more than anything from what I've seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
My phone is still the fastest phone I've ever had.

Battery life is just okay, but my gf's G4 doesn't seem any better (actually seems worse most days).

One of the TMo updates was the Stagefright fix.
Good deal thanks guys. I'll probably go up with him to the TMO store today and take a look.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 03:52 PM   #186
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Just get the Nexus P and forget about the rest.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2015, 06:02 PM   #187
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Just get the Nexus P and forget about the rest.
6P looks good, but I'd rather have the Note's stylus.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:23 PM   #188
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I got to the point where I'm willing to forgo the eventual access to Samsung Pay (when my bank supports it) in exchange for battery life... I rooted today, killing Samsung Pay, but hopefully I'll be able to get the battery life this phone should have come with to begin with.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 03:48 PM   #189
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
I got to the point where I'm willing to forgo the eventual access to Samsung Pay (when my bank supports it) in exchange for battery life... I rooted today, killing Samsung Pay, but hopefully I'll be able to get the battery life this phone should have come with to begin with.
How bad is your battery?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old Oct 25, 2015, 03:58 PM   #190
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
How bad is your battery?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Always dead by the end of the day with only 2hrs screen on time. The drain at idle is ridiculous. Have to turn off so much **** to not get that drain, which is annoying coming from my Z3 where I didn't have to turn off anything at all and could easily get a day and a half or more without a charge. I pretty much am forced to use my wireless charger at work when I'm at my desk so I can get any semblance of a normal day out of my stupid phone.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 08:34 AM   #191
Elysian
SCAATSJW

So far so good, I got 2hrs of screen on time after wasting most of the battery yesterday night, with plenty of standby. Today the drain has been pretty low. This rom makes all the animations faster, so it feels even faster than before. I'm digging the experience.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 05:10 PM   #192
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Big improvement. This is how it should have been from the factory, and no reason for Samsung to **** that up. I'm only sitting at 1hr screen on time, but plenty of podcasting. I also updated the rom, hence the break, as the rom maker put out a small patch to fix Bluetooth, so reworking the app cache kept the screen on and the CPU running for about 15 minutes.

edit: 5hrs later and I'm still at 40%. Incredible bump.

Last edited by Elysian : Oct 26, 2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:07 AM   #193
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

been using the n5 for daily for the most part. I always carry it since I carry an iphone for work. I gotta say I never really used the spen on 1-3. The 4 is when use became heavy for me, now with the 5. I just can't give up the spen. I use it every day and it makes so many thigns just that much easier.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2015, 03:41 PM   #194
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Naturally, 2 days after I root my phone and give up Samsung Pay I get this from my bank (responding to my original post on Facebook from September):

Navy Federal Credit Union Adam, we have an update for you -- Samsung Pay is on the horizon for Navy Federal members!! We don't have an official launch date for our partnership yet, but we'll be letting everyone know more details as soon as possible. Let us know if we can help with anything else in the meantime!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 09:30 AM   #195
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So, last week, I went into Verizon to purchase a new charging cord for my Note 3. Looked at the S6 Edge + and the note 5.... almost bought one, but I managed to talk myself out of it and left the store with only the cord... (self control win... first in my life when it comes to electronics)...

Fast forward to this week, girlfriend's son broke his phone (3rd one he has broke since I have had my note 3.. damn he is hard on phones. Doesn't help he doesn't always have covers and works in a rough environment)

So, I am now a proud owner of a note 5 and girl friend's son gets my note 3 with a defender otter box cover that I have sported for 3 years... hopefully he will leave the case on and it will last another 3 years...

Loving the Note 5 so far! Finger print scanner is pretty cool. We will see how the battery life is.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Oct 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2015, 09:10 PM   #196
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Best day of battery life I've had with this phone.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 09:21 PM   #197
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I'm waiting to see how the droid turbo 2 turns out and if it will work on T-Mobile.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 02:43 AM   #198
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have an unlocked firmware revision which lets me remove whatever apps I dang well please... best part is- Its that way from the factory.

As for battery life Elysian..

Its the transceiver. Its got Qualcomm written all over it. MOST companies implement a power saving mode which turns the "data" portion of the radio "off" while the screen is not active and re-establishes the link when its turned on. (Off being- idles it while its not needed). If you don't need mobile data where you are, turn off mobile data. You can still make calls and texts with mobile data off.. and if you got wifi you don't need it.

btw- 6.0 rocks.. You all will like it. Battery life DOES improve with it.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 06:51 AM   #199
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
I have an unlocked firmware revision which lets me remove whatever apps I dang well please... best part is- Its that way from the factory.

As for battery life Elysian..

Its the transceiver. Its got Qualcomm written all over it. MOST companies implement a power saving mode which turns the "data" portion of the radio "off" while the screen is not active and re-establishes the link when its turned on. (Off being- idles it while its not needed). If you don't need mobile data where you are, turn off mobile data. You can still make calls and texts with mobile data off.. and if you got wifi you don't need it.

btw- 6.0 rocks.. You all will like it. Battery life DOES improve with it.
It's just another compromise to get the battery life this phone should get, which is unacceptable. Never had to compromise on my Xperia Z3, never had to turn anything off or anything.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 08:53 AM   #200
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
It's just another compromise to get the battery life this phone should get, which is unacceptable. Never had to compromise on my Xperia Z3, never had to turn anything off or anything.
Seems to be the case with a lot of phones at the moment. I don't get it since I know that Samsung has made some strides in battery tech pretty consistently over the years. To me battery life is priority number 1. Even my n5 was plenty fast.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2015, 08:56 AM   #201
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
Seems to be the case with a lot of phones at the moment. I don't get it since I know that Samsung has made some strides in battery tech pretty consistently over the years. To me battery life is priority number 1. Even my n5 was plenty fast.
Exactly. I'm sick of it. I want to be able to leave my location on, not have to worry about some Android System process sucking down juice unnecessarily, not have to uninstall all the apps Samsung loads up that just kill more battery life, turn my screen brightness down, etc. It's just so absurd. At this point, I'll consider any phone I can get through T-Mobile that can get me a solid 2 day battery life, but no one seems to care to make something like that besides Sony, and they've been brushed off by all carriers. Absurd. Just sick of having to tweak an otherwise excellent phone to get it to get the longevity I want. I was so spoiled by my Xperias.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 09:00 AM   #202
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Exactly. I'm sick of it. I want to be able to leave my location on, not have to worry about some Android System process sucking down juice unnecessarily, not have to uninstall all the apps Samsung loads up that just kill more battery life, turn my screen brightness down, etc. It's just so absurd. At this point, I'll consider any phone I can get through T-Mobile that can get me a solid 2 day battery life, but no one seems to care to make something like that besides Sony, and they've been brushed off by all carriers. Absurd. Just sick of having to tweak an otherwise excellent phone to get it to get the longevity I want. I was so spoiled by my Xperias.
6s+ will get you Xperia battery life. On my 6+ I got another 1-2 hours of screen time over my Z3.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 09:03 AM   #203
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
6s+ will get you Xperia battery life. On my 6+ I got another 1-2 hours of screen time over my Z3.
If Apple fully waterproofs the next iPhone I'm on board.

You get 7-8hrs screen on on your 6+?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 04:00 PM   #204
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
If Apple fully waterproofs the next iPhone I'm on board.

You get 7-8hrs screen on on your 6+?
I did yes
Old Oct 30, 2015, 05:11 PM   #205
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Android 6.x on the Note 5 will VASTLY improve your experiences. I have found that I can leave mobile data on with 6 and get 2-3hrs more run-time out of the day than I can with 5.1.1.

It says it shifts the 3G link state to "Idle" and "Low Power" and after 3-4m of inactivity it shuts the 3G/4G radio off just after sending some kind of "idle link" packet. 1x remains active though. Some kind of "Hold the connection open for xx minutes" kind of thing, wait for my communication to resume etc.. It powers back on every 10m if I just let it sit idle.

Least thats what 6 does.

5.1.1 tries to keep connection no matter what. Keeps the radio at high power constantly. Battery drain is stupid ridiculous.

Anyone got a GSM model?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 06:54 AM   #206
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Woot. December 18th, 2015 = Note 5 6.0 official update release. :-)

January 14th, 2016 = Galaxy S6 Edge+ update to 6.0

Followed then by the S6 Edge and S6 etc etc..

(US Cellular devices anyway)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:21 AM   #207
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I did yes
Yah, I think it's pretty easy to do, depending on the workload.

Light gaming, social media, browsing, I easily get 6+ hrs a day and still have 20-30% of battery life remaining, if not more.

The 6S+ is a beastly little bugger on battery life.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:43 AM   #208
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

On my 6s Plus I can easily go two days even with a decent amount of usage. I turn off background app refresh for everything except gmail, hangouts and Samsung Smartthings. Funny that I use my iPhone for Google and Samsung services. Even with background refresh disabled my garmin app still connects to my dash GPS flawlessly every time providing it data. I limit notifications to my calendar and incoming calls because notifications turn the screen on and drain the battery.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:52 AM   #209
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
On my 6s Plus I can easily go two days even with a decent amount of usage. I turn off background app refresh for everything except gmail, hangouts and Samsung Smartthings. Funny that I use my iPhone for Google and Samsung services. Even with background refresh disabled my garmin app still connects to my dash GPS flawlessly every time providing it data. I limit notifications to my calendar and incoming calls because notifications turn the screen on and drain the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Yah, I think it's pretty easy to do, depending on the workload.

Light gaming, social media, browsing, I easily get 6+ hrs a day and still have 20-30% of battery life remaining, if not more.

The 6S+ is a beastly little bugger on battery life.
All this makes my next phone choice a tough one. Probably going to do it though.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:09 PM   #210
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
All this makes my next phone choice a tough one. Probably going to do it though.
The operating system and some of the UX decisions are absolutely ridiculous, but for the most part, it's a pretty decent bit of hardware.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote