Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 8, 2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Official Apple Watch thread

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/Article...cleid=37287810

Three reasons it may be a game changer:
  • Apple Watch has more features than its rivals. Not only will the watch download emails and handle texts and calls, it will update the user with the latest headlines, have a heart rate monitor and alert the wearer to notifications with a subtle tap on the wrist. Siri and Apple Pay come as standard and there are plans to use the watch as a key for hotel doors and even cars.
  • It has the backing of a powerful brand. Apple has a reputation for quality and has acquired a cult-like following among its many fans. More than 400 stores around the world provide a direct conduit to customers, many of whom are lured in by slick and expensive advertising campaigns.
  • Apple has a track record of revolutionising markets. There were digital music players before the iPod, smartphones before the iPhone and even tablets before the iPad, but most of those products failed to catch on until Apple made devices so appealing they set new standards and created new demand, J.P. Gownder an analyst at Forrester Research said.

Announcement tomorrow so I'm sure a lot of folks are going to pay attention one way or the other because, let's face it, most websites are going to be talking about absolutely nothing else

What am I looking forward to? NFC and Pay support.

And thats pretty much it.

I'm sure there are other things folks are interested in so hopefully we'll have a decent discussion.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 08:18 AM   #2
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

meh on apple watch..

I hope for a announcement on the next apple tv!
And for apple pay to be released in sweden!

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 08:33 AM   #3
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Oh god that thing is so ugly.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 9, 2015, 08:56 AM   #4
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

- True Blood
Old Mar 9, 2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

ugly and compared to the run of the mill Android watches. The only thing the apple watch has over the others is NFC for tap-n-pay.

I'm hoping for a really solid watch one day, and really most watches are there. Just need a smaller guts/battery. And a big one, WiFi, that would be a killer sale honestly.

BT watch with BT headphones, and some spotfiy while at the gym as it streams over the wifi, all while s-health or some other app is tracking your hr. And still getting msgs/txt/etc. All with out having to have your brick with you.

I know the gear S does this, but you have to buy a separate damn contract as it uses cell-data not wifi.
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:29 AM   #6
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Pay attention to watch designs after Apple watch comes out.

They're all going to start focusing on straps and all the radial watches are gonna go away and more square watches will come out.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:44 AM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post

They're all going to start focusing on straps and all the radial watches are gonna go away and more square watches will come out.
This ugly thing has been announced for almost a year now and the smartwatch makers haven't followed suit. It looks awful, there's really no defending how poorly it's designed.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I think it is one of the most beautiful things Ive ever seen
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:51 AM   #9
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
This ugly thing has been announced for almost a year now and the smartwatch makers haven't followed suit. It looks awful, there's really no defending how poorly it's designed.
true

watch band looks like a kids cracker jack toy
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:06 PM   #10
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

OMG ITS STARTED!!!!!!!!
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:08 PM   #11
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

I bet it comes with grindr pre-installed.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:09 PM   #12
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The only thing I cared about in this, HBO Now, is too much per month for me to care about $14.99/mo is a lot of money for one channel. Who knew the Apple tax would make it to HBO
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:34 PM   #13
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

That is a frighteningly thin laptop.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 01:05 PM   #14
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
That is a frighteningly thin laptop.

That thing is pretty impressive.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 01:10 PM   #15
badboy
Merc with a mouth

meh meh and meh

HBO on apple tv? why is it such a big deal? was netflix a big deal when it was on apple tv? or any other app?
Just release a new one with app store then they can have an event every min! NEW APP! NEW APP! OH 1000 new APPS!

- True Blood
Old Mar 9, 2015, 01:30 PM   #16
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I thought the app demo was impressive, I don't think android wear can do some of that yet.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 01:34 PM   #17
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Im not watching the stream, but I browsed through Verges live coverage and saw something about a $10,000 version of the watch? Was that a joke?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 01:36 PM   #18
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Im not watching the stream, but I browsed through Verges live coverage and saw something about a $10,000 version of the watch? Was that a joke?
it's solid gold, not sure how much actual gold but at $1600 an ounce or so that's a pretty expensive material to work with.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 01:41 PM   #19
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I still think its too thick and too expensive. Does it require an iPhone? If it does than thats a huge issue as well.

The new MacBook looks nice, its too bad they couldnt get the Pro line to be that thin.

Old Mar 9, 2015, 02:12 PM   #20
Elysian
SCAATSJW

18hrs of battery life in a typical day, you can't even make it a full day with this thing I would say something about Apple being form over function, but the form on this thing is just subpar for them.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 02:22 PM   #21
logical
What is my purpose?

Oh and on the new MacBook.. only 1 USB connector? Its a do-it-all USB connector so it only makes sense to have at least 2. You cannot charge and use an external monitor at the same time.

Old Mar 9, 2015, 02:23 PM   #22
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post

Uh, no. Consumers have spoken and if you want a wearable, round > square aesthetically. Square has some benefits but round looks and feels a hell of a lot better.

And straps? What? There are tens of thousands of straps on the market already. Having a device that takes advantage of the STANDARD strap sizes and connection methods == win. Custom is fantastic for Apple's margins but does little to nothing for consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
I thought the app demo was impressive, I don't think android wear can do some of that yet.
The only thing that has impressed me from the first announcement was NFC. That's it. Wear addresses pretty much everything else already, as does Samsung's implementation and Pebble (albeit with buttons rather than touch on the latter).

The Pebble is the only wearable device that does a lot of stuff AND lasts around a week. Wear devices last about 1.5-2 days. This currently lasts about 18 hrs if I am reading the release correctly.

Intriguing device but very, VERY gen 1.

It will still sell like gangbusters, but as always, sales !=a good product.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 02:49 PM   #23
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

New android wear devices with NBC will launch this year so the apple watch offers nothing new at a lot higher price point while also having a worse battery.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 02:52 PM   #24
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Oh and on the new MacBook.. only 1 USB connector? Its a do-it-all USB connector so it only makes sense to have at least 2. You cannot charge and use an external monitor at the same time.
They're going to sell a splitter of course. You silly boy

More moolah.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 02:53 PM   #25
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
New android wear devices with NBC will launch this year so the apple watch offers nothing new at a lot higher price point while also having a worse battery.

Old Mar 9, 2015, 02:54 PM   #26
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
They're going to sell a splitter of course. You silly boy

More moolah.
80 bucks

Quote:
The hub is 80 bucks. Comes with one USB, 1 USB C, HDMI. They should have included one of these with the damn laptop.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ...apter?fnode=51

Old Mar 9, 2015, 02:55 PM   #27
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Bet you apple copies this next.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 02:59 PM   #28
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Old Mar 9, 2015, 03:02 PM   #29
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I still think its too thick and too expensive. Does it require an iPhone? If it does than thats a huge issue as well.
Yes. Almost all wearables of the Apple Watch type require a connected device for notifications, etc.

I LOVE my watch. I will be buying a 2nd gen device when available, most likely, but folks who don't use wearables may simply not have a use case for them. I do and I love it. The Apple Watch will open a lot of people's eyes to possibilities. But it's a piss poor design and the jury is out on the battery life.

Also the price is high, but consumers will decide if it's worth it or not.

Paying as much as a phone for this is a bit iffy.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 03:05 PM   #30
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Yes. Almost all wearables of the Apple Watch type require a connected device for notifications, etc.

I LOVE my watch. I will be buying a 2nd gen device when available, most likely, but folks who don't use wearables may simply not have a use case for them. I do and I love it. The Apple Watch will open a lot of people's eyes to possibilities. But it's a piss poor design and the jury is out on the battery life.

Also the price is high, but consumers will decide if it's worth it or not.

Paying as much as a phone for this is a bit iffy.
I suspect that they wont sell as many because no company is going to be subsidizing the thing like phones. That LG watch above looks way better than the iWatch.