Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 18, 2014, 03:37 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Whelp, that was quick.... Z4 rumors...

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-xper...pany-next-year
The Z3 was only 6 months after the Z2, and the rumors started shortly before release... We already know Sony is on a 6 month refresh cycle, so it's not surprising at all.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:29 PM   #92
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The Z3 was only 6 months after the Z2, and the rumors started shortly before release... We already know Sony is on a 6 month refresh cycle, so it's not surprising at all.
I think it is given their lack of success. My guess is that's why they are turning to a once a year cycle as mentioned in the article.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 01:54 AM   #93
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I think it is given their lack of success. My guess is that's why they are turning to a once a year cycle as mentioned in the article.
Their issues have relatively little to do with their release cycle. At least in the U.S., we were still only getting about one handset a year.

In the U.S. at least, I think we can attribute a few factors to Sony's performance, without even considering the model release cycle.

1) Sony has done very little to promote their handsets in the U.S.
2) Their handsets have primarily only been offered on a single carrier (T-mobile)
3) T-mobile and its employees did very little to promote the Sony handsets
4) Sony's Z series handsets, while well built, are not especially attractive (big bezels and blocky shape.)
5) Some of Sony's past android handsets had earned them a bad reputation.
6) Sony would take a very long time to bring their handsets to the U.S. market after release (the result being that Sony's handsets were often dated compared to the competition. Even when they were releasing a new iteration every 6 months, only half of those were actually making it to the U.S.)

The Z3 basically addresses just about every single one of these issue. It is still being released a month late, (but that is a big improvement.) It is not only water proof and has a great camera, but it also has superb battery life (something that is number 1 on a lot of people's priorities.) The shape of the phone is just plain leagues better than past iterations.

The main issue that still stands is whether or not consumers will be educated about the device's advantages.

I think the main weakness of the the Z3 is that the processor is about to be a little last gen, but I don't think that is especially important. I would guess that as long as it maintains its battery life advantage vs 805 phones, and consumers are educated about that advantage, then it will still be a very attractive offering for the duration of its tenure.

As for releasing another phone in 6 months, my attitude is that if Sony doesn't do it, someone else will. There is always another better, faster, sexier phone getting released within the next 6 months. Unless we start getting phones with substantially longer battery lives (which I don't think we will see from those companies pushing 4k displays) there isn't anything I would feel like I was missing out on. I wouldn't even be replacing my GS3, if it didn't crash and its battery life lasted through a whole day.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 20, 2014, 02:35 AM   #94
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Whelp, that was quick.... Z4 rumors...

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-xper...pany-next-year
That really looks impressive. If the one year cycle from Z4 onward rumor is true guess my Z3 is only gonna last half a year. Really love my Xperia.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:26 PM   #95
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

My debit card just got charged (PayPal emails me any time I'm charged). No tracking # yet but hopefully that shows up soon.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:30 PM   #96
SoCalMX70
Radeon R700

SoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
My debit card just got charged (PayPal emails me any time I'm charged). No tracking # yet but hopefully that shows up soon.
Same!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:33 PM   #97
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Same as well
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:53 PM   #98
Elysian
SCAATSJW

It's happening
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:44 PM   #99
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Any of you picked out a case yet? I was hoping that Tech21 would have something, but they haven't released anything for the Z3 yet. The GS3 cases we had from them took a real beating without the case or the phone getting damaged.

For screen protection, I got a couple Nillkin 9H+ tempered glass screen protectors. They say they are 9H hardness, which can't be 100% right (unless they are sapphire, which they aren't) and the instructions look like they used Google to do a machine translation; however, some British people with "Zed"3's seem to like them.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:14 PM   #100
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I'll do a screen protector and a rear guard, but that's it. Same as my Z1s until recently, now it's naked and still doing fine.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:49 PM   #101
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
I'll do a screen protector and a rear guard, but that's it. Same as my Z1s until recently, now it's naked and still doing fine.
Screen protector?

Get a glass one, not that cheap and crappy plastic ****
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:55 AM   #102
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
That has been what I did in the past. Just tempered glass screen protector and otherwise naked; however, comparing the condition of my phone with my wife's phone, that spent its life in a good case, made me think about giving a case a shot this time around. My wife even lets the kids play on her phone (and of course they drop and throw it) and it is still in near mint condition, while mine is all kinds of messed up from just being carried around in my pocket.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:24 AM   #103
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
That has been what I did in the past. Just tempered glass screen protector and otherwise naked; however, comparing the condition of my phone with my wife's phone, that spent its life in a good case, made me think about giving a case a shot this time around. My wife even lets the kids play on her phone (and of course they drop and throw it) and it is still in near mint condition, while mine is all kinds of messed up from just being carried around in my pocket.
I hate the extra bulk from cases.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:57 PM   #104
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Just got the text with my tracking number.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 01:01 PM   #105
SoCalMX70
Radeon R700

SoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySoCalMX70 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Just got the text with my tracking number.
Same!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:38 PM   #106
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Just got a text from T mobile that my order shipped.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 05:39 PM   #107
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My phone will be here Thursday
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:49 PM   #108
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
My phone will be here Thursday
*grrr* ours aren't arriving until Monday, and I ordered way before you
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:56 PM   #109
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
*grrr* ours aren't arriving until Monday, and I ordered way before you
Edit: not totally sure what is going on, but they sent a shipping notification for one handset a couple days ago with no tracking number and then another for the second handset today with a tracking number. Did you have to call to find out yours was coming in Thursday?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:15 PM   #110
Elysian
SCAATSJW

No. My tracking number tells me that.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:58 PM   #111
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
No. My tracking number tells me that.
Bahh. Got the tracking number for the other one and they both aren't coming until Monday. Darn T-Mobile shipping all the way from IL.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:14 PM   #112
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Bahh. Got the tracking number for the other one and they both aren't coming until Monday. Darn T-Mobile shipping all the way from IL.
Weird, mine shipped from Louisville, KY.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:45 PM   #113
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Changed my delivery so I could pick it up on my way to work tomorrow.

Oh, and my tempered glass screen protector is going to be here tomorrow too. Picking it up at the same time.

Last edited by Elysian : Oct 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:46 PM   #114
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I may get this phone as well. Ideas for cases?
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2014, 02:02 AM   #115
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
I may get this phone as well. Ideas for cases?
I haven't scene anything very special.

Case-mate looks like they have some that might be good. http://www.case-mate.com/Sony-Xperia...a-Z3-Cases.asp

Was thinking about this one in particular. http://www.case-mate.com/Sony-Xperia...ough-Cases.asp N/M that one covers up the magnetic charging connector. This other one does not http://www.case-mate.com/Sony-Xperia...ough-Cases.asp .

For the time being, I got a pair of these, cause they have lots of good reviews, are thin, and are cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Xperia-Terrapi...ywords=z3+case

I am hoping that Tech21 will come out with something for the Z3. They use that D3o material that is really good at absorbing shocks. They have cases for the older Z series devices, but not one for the Z3 yet.

Last edited by aviphysics : Oct 23, 2014 at 02:09 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:52 AM   #116
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got it this morning

And the main reason I traded the old phone in:

And here's a picture of a guitar neck in progress for good measure:

Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:29 PM   #117
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

That seems like on odd place to store your guitar pick.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:31 PM   #118
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
That seems like on odd place to store your guitar pick.
Back glass delaminated at that corner, as good a place as any That's where the dust was able to get into my lens.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:35 PM   #119
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Back glass delaminated at that corner, as good a place as any That's where the dust was able to get into my lens.
Looks like you should start using a case. :P
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:50 PM   #120
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Looks like you should start using a case. :P
No thanks! That phone took at the very least 30 drops and held up like a champ.