Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:46 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
That's 11am Pacific time btw.
You mean people actually live in places beyond the great mountains in the mythical and desolate beyond lands? I only dared to venture westward once and all I found was miles of desert who's few inhabitants worshiped shiny metal one armed robots with three eyes. It was a very strange place of which I still have nightmares.

Last edited by aviphysics : Oct 9, 2014 at 01:12 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:12 PM   #62
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Darn thing is a dumb Verizon gig. Uggg....
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:14 PM   #63
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

No thanks, I'm out.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:34 PM   #64
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Z3 for T-mobile is "still on track". Sony just didn't talk about it at this event. I guess it is good for Sony to be finally seeing a broader release in the U.S., but the vague release dates are so damn annoying.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:34 PM   #65
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Verizon version gets wireless charging...

What a bummer of an event, I don't give a crap about the Verizon version...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:40 PM   #66
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Verizon version gets wireless charging...

What a bummer of an event, I don't give a crap about the Verizon version...
I still don't get what the big deal is with wireless charging. Seems like wireless charging just means that you have to have a pad the size of your phone taking up space all the time. The magnetic connector on the normal versions seems better to me and both can be used without opening any of waterproofing the flaps.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:46 PM   #67
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
I still don't get what the big deal is with wireless charging. Seems like wireless charging just means that you have to have a pad the size of your phone taking up space all the time. The magnetic connector on the normal versions seems better to me and both can be used without opening any of waterproofing the flaps.
I don't either, generally, but on a waterproof phone? Give me wireless charging and wireless PC connectivity only, one less port to seal.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:54 PM   #68
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
I don't either, generally, but on a waterproof phone? Give me wireless charging and wireless PC connectivity only, one less port to seal.
Well, even the Z1 had the magnetic connector, BT and wifi. Only thing you really need the usb port for is flashing custom roms or occasionally moving lots of data. Same for the Z1S, Z2 and vanilla Z3.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 01:56 PM   #69
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Well, even the Z1 had the magnetic connector, BT and wifi. Only thing you really need the usb port for is flashing custom roms or occasionally moving lots of data. Same for the Z1S, Z2 and vanilla Z3.
I know, I have the Z1s, but the tech is there to get rid of it altogether. It's still an extra rubber seal that can fail. You want to push innovation, get rid of wires entirely, IMO.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 03:19 PM   #70
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
I know, I have the Z1s, but the tech is there to get rid of it altogether. It's still an extra rubber seal that can fail. You want to push innovation, get rid of wires entirely, IMO.
I thought the magnetic connector didn't have any flaps.

I get the idea of making a phone or tablet that can just be potted in plastic, but just not needing a flap that has to be properly secured after every time you charge is a pretty good thing. Besides, doesn't the Z3v still have the magnetic charging connector?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:43 AM   #71
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-x..._medium=dlvrit

T-Mobile preorders go up online in 2 days, available in stores on the 29th. I'm so ready.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:24 AM   #72
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-x..._medium=dlvrit

T-Mobile preorders go up online in 2 days, available in stores on the 29th. I'm so ready.
Darn. You beat me to it.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:28 AM   #73
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Pricing for the Z3 is $26/month for 24 months = $624. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

The Z3 compact is $530 and only available direct from Sony. It seems to be available for immediate purchase.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/13/6...nch-price-date
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:30 AM   #74
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

If it's direct from Sony, the Z3 compact won't have wifi calling capability with TMobile. Makes it a no go for me and switching to TMobile.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:37 PM   #75
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Anyone else staying up to 12 am PDT, in order to be one of the first to pre-order?
Quote:
Eager customers that just can’t wait until launch to secure their device can take advantage of T-Mobile pre-sale online, which will open starting October 15 at 12:00 a.m. PDT. This means that customers will have their Xperia Z3 shipped to them—and could receive it—BEFORE the national launch.
-Tmobile
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:01 PM   #76
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Anyone else staying up to 12 am PDT, in order to be one of the first to pre-order?

-Tmobile
I'll be waking up just before then.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:05 AM   #77
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I don't know where this pre-order page is supposed to be...

Maybe it's still 24hrs away, I don't know... Annoying.

Last edited by Elysian : Oct 15, 2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:01 AM   #78
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
I don't know where this pre-order page is supposed to be...

Maybe it's still 24hrs away, I don't know... Annoying.
You have to login, go to the "shop" tab, go to "upgrade your device", select a line to upgrade, and then filter the devices for Sony. The Z3 should be listed there.

Just did it myself. Kind of dumb that they don't just link you to the page and you have to go through all that junk. I am at least looking forward to getting a phone without a store employee trying to insist on setting it up for me.

Also ordered this tempered glass screen protector.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by aviphysics : Oct 15, 2014 at 07:02 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:34 AM   #79
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
You have to login, go to the "shop" tab, go to "upgrade your device", select a line to upgrade, and then filter the devices for Sony. The Z3 should be listed there.

Just did it myself. Kind of dumb that they don't just link you to the page and you have to go through all that junk. I am at least looking forward to getting a phone without a store employee trying to insist on setting it up for me.

Also ordered this tempered glass screen protector.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I did that for nearly half an hour last night, it never showed up.

edit: It's there now, I did this like 8 times last night and all that was there was a refurb Xperia Z...

edit2: And ordered.

Last edited by Elysian : Oct 15, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:49 PM   #80
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
I did that for nearly half an hour last night, it never showed up.

edit: It's there now, I did this like 8 times last night and all that was there was a refurb Xperia Z...

edit2: And ordered.
I didn't get around to it until 3 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:08 PM   #81
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Mobiletechreview.com finally got their hands on a Z3 compact.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=47137
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:47 PM   #82
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Mobiletechreview.com finally got their hands on a Z3 compact.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=47137
Button placement on the compact is awful imo
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:05 PM   #83
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Do you mean the power button being in the middle?

I just figured they designed it for people that hold their phone with their left hand. That would put the power button under your stronger fingers. It deilfinitley is not the most thumb friendly position.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:05 PM   #84
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Button placement on the compact is awful imo
It's not any different than the Z3. I like it on my Z1s.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:28 PM   #85
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Do you mean the power button being in the middle?

I just figured they designed it for people that hold their phone with their left hand. That would put the power button under your stronger fingers. It deilfinitley is not the most thumb friendly position.
Just looking at how I normally hold my phone, yeah my thumb would end up right on the power button.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:34 PM   #86
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Just looking at how I normally hold my phone, yeah my thumb would end up right on the power button.
It's not easy to accidentally press, I never have. I do use it to register where the phone is when in my pocket though, it's helpful.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 02:39 PM   #87
Elysian
SCAATSJW

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/10/andro...eginning-2015/

Lollipop coming beginning of 2015 (even for the Z1s).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 04:49 PM   #88
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
http://www.tmonews.com/2014/10/andro...eginning-2015/

Lollipop coming beginning of 2015 (even for the Z1s).
Good job Sony, now lets seem them follow through.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:05 PM   #89
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Good job Sony, now lets seem them follow through.
They got Kit Kat to the Z1 pretty quickly, it was the Z1s that took forever... I can see the Z3 being quick, the Z1s had a pretty limited market.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:58 PM   #90
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Whelp, that was quick.... Z4 rumors...

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-xper...pany-next-year