Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 13, 2014, 02:20 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Profit margins would be less.
But overall profit and marketshare might rise. Only if they make that hardware relevant to the user experience though.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 02:26 AM   #62
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well we don't know anything for sure yet. My gut tells me they will go the high road and put something that competes out there. But right now there is no way to tell.

Only thing I know for sure is that they Super Sized their screen, we'll see how THAT goes. Was hoping for same overall body size just with near-zero bezel, but whatever.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 08:38 AM   #63
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
The camera NEEDS improvements to be serious. If you remember, there was zero increase from the 5 to the 5s.
Wrong.

edit: I'm going for the 5.5" version. This is a fact.

Last edited by Razeus : May 13, 2014 at 08:50 AM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 13, 2014, 09:06 AM   #64
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Profit margins would be less.
call it a iPhone titan and double the prices
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 09:37 AM   #65
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Holy ****... you are retarded
he was obviously being sarcastic...
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 11:03 AM   #66
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazman View Post
And how, exactly, do non-iPhone phones revolutionize anything? Because they have a bigger screen? Big deal. My living room TV has a bigger screen than my laptop, but I can still watch TV/Netflix/Hulu and play games on it. Because they have apps? Wowsers. Even refrigerators can display the weather and stuff now. Because they make calls better? Yeah, how did we ever do that before Samsung started making cell phones?
wifi charging, ois, using screens with regular gloves, 60hz refresh rate (no idea why its needed on a phone but since people 'need' 1080p on a mobile device figured I'd mention it! wait that's just the few small thinks nokia did with the 920, I forget only apple brings something new to the market

to be fair they did bring out the iphone, I haven't heard of that device before apple came along

either way, this phone will sell out, be a much better device in terms of quality that most android sets, and will create more flame wars! will be surprised if they don't include wireless charging, that's the sort of thing I expect all iphone users to do, goto starbucks and place their phone on their starbucks charging pad and look smug, its what I would do if I had one...
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 03:16 PM   #67
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
And if rumors are right... the 4.7" won't even have a 1080p screen.
It's a Retina Display (TM), so it's like, uh, better. 480i Retina is better than 1080P because Apple says it is.
GTwannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 12:51 AM   #68
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Isn't retna a certain PPI at minimum? Wouldn't a bigger screen have to be full HD to qualify as their prior standards?

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old May 14, 2014, 01:46 AM   #69
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
Isn't retna a certain PPI at minimum? Wouldn't a bigger screen have to be full HD to qualify as their prior standards?
Retina is apple speak for 'our screen is bestest PPi'
doesn't matter what it is. if it says Retina, it automatically wins all screen comparisons....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 12:48 PM   #70
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I hate when people report rumors as facts. The resolution will be 1704 x 960 according to this speculatory article http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/14/57...960-resolution

Apple is expected to unveil up to two larger iPhones this year. And while rumors of a bigger, slimmer iPhone are nothing new, 9to5Mac claims to know the precise resolution that Apple has been testing on "at least one next-generation" model. The iPhone 6 will reportedly run at a sharper 1704 x 960 resolution, compared to the 1136 x 640 currently seen in the 4-inch iPhone 5S and 5C. This would be Apple's answer to the 1080p displays that have become the norm on high-end Android smartphones. Some manufacturers like LG are already looking to trump Full HD with even higher-res screens.

A BIGGER RESOLUTION FOR BIGGER PHONES

The company isn't expected to radically alter the user interface of iOS 8, so this change may result in larger, sharper icons on the home screen and throughout the operating system. And much like the original transition to Retina displays, some apps may not look great on upcoming iPhones if developers fail to deliver timely updates. Since the 16:9 aspect ratio isn't changing, you won't have to deal with ugly black bars — a common sight after the iPhone 5's release. 9to5Mac says apps will automatically scale to fill the whole screen, but certain graphics may appear blurry on the higher-res display if they haven't been optimized.

It's believed the company's next phones will come in two sizes: 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches, with the latter clearly targeted at "phablets" like Samsung's Galaxy Note 3. The rumored resolution would lead to a pixel density of 416 ppi on the 4.7-inch hardware, dropping slightly to 356 ppi on the larger phone. Both of those fall comfortably within Apple's definition of a "Retina" display, where individual pixels are impossible to make out at normal distances. Whether or not Apple announces both products simultaneously or chooses to stagger the release schedule remains unclear. Assuming plans for two larger devices are accurate, some believe that Apple will first unveil a 4.7-inch iPhone 6 in August, a bit sooner than its normal September timeframe.

YOU WON'T SEE BLACK BARS, BUT APPS WILL STILL REQUIRE QUICK UPDATES

But an even bigger iPhone could wind up filling that September slot, giving Apple two new flagship handsets to carry into the fall and holiday seasons. We expect to hear more about iOS 8 at WWDC next month. The odds of a new iPhone being unveiled there are significantly lower. So if Apple holds back new product announcements, it's doubtful the company will even discuss this increased resolution. Historically, Apple has never shared plans like these before unveiling the products that will showcase them.
Omega53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 02:02 PM   #71
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

We'll find out June 2.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 02:13 PM   #72
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Will glady pay for a 128GB 5.5 and drive daily if true. Pick up the 4.7 for shits and giggles

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 03:03 PM   #73
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Honestly, Ill probably just buy it no matter what they release. My iPhone 5 is nearly 2 years old and Im in too deep into Apples walled garden. I also dont care about specs on a phone at this point and cant be annoyed to switch all my **** to android. A couple of years ago I might have given a fck... but now no fcks given.

This is coming from a computer enthusiast so its not like I dont know better, I just dont care and want something a bit faster.

If they come out with some new tech/added tech cool, if not I still get a faster phone.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 03:45 PM   #74
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
I hate when people report rumors as facts. The resolution will be 1704 x 960 according to this speculatory article http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/14/57...960-resolution

Apple is expected to unveil up to two larger iPhones this year. And while rumors of a bigger, slimmer iPhone are nothing new, 9to5Mac claims to know the precise resolution that Apple has been testing on "at least one next-generation" model. The iPhone 6 will reportedly run at a sharper 1704 x 960 resolution, compared to the 1136 x 640 currently seen in the 4-inch iPhone 5S and 5C. This would be Apple's answer to the 1080p displays that have become the norm on high-end Android smartphones. Some manufacturers like LG are already looking to trump Full HD with even higher-res screens.

A BIGGER RESOLUTION FOR BIGGER PHONES

The company isn't expected to radically alter the user interface of iOS 8, so this change may result in larger, sharper icons on the home screen and throughout the operating system. And much like the original transition to Retina displays, some apps may not look great on upcoming iPhones if developers fail to deliver timely updates. Since the 16:9 aspect ratio isn't changing, you won't have to deal with ugly black bars — a common sight after the iPhone 5's release. 9to5Mac says apps will automatically scale to fill the whole screen, but certain graphics may appear blurry on the higher-res display if they haven't been optimized.

It's believed the company's next phones will come in two sizes: 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches, with the latter clearly targeted at "phablets" like Samsung's Galaxy Note 3. The rumored resolution would lead to a pixel density of 416 ppi on the 4.7-inch hardware, dropping slightly to 356 ppi on the larger phone. Both of those fall comfortably within Apple's definition of a "Retina" display, where individual pixels are impossible to make out at normal distances. Whether or not Apple announces both products simultaneously or chooses to stagger the release schedule remains unclear. Assuming plans for two larger devices are accurate, some believe that Apple will first unveil a 4.7-inch iPhone 6 in August, a bit sooner than its normal September timeframe.

YOU WON'T SEE BLACK BARS, BUT APPS WILL STILL REQUIRE QUICK UPDATES

But an even bigger iPhone could wind up filling that September slot, giving Apple two new flagship handsets to carry into the fall and holiday seasons. We expect to hear more about iOS 8 at WWDC next month. The odds of a new iPhone being unveiled there are significantly lower. So if Apple holds back new product announcements, it's doubtful the company will even discuss this increased resolution. Historically, Apple has never shared plans like these before unveiling the products that will showcase them.

I would say this is wrong, at least the resolution. I'm buying into the idea pitched by podcasts that I listen to that the resolution of the 4.7" will mirrior the iPads Mini Retina, so... whatever resolution at 4.7" means 326ppi. The 5.5 would mirrior the iPad Air at 264 ppi.

Those are the screens being massed produced, it would make sense to adapt them to a new product to keep costs down and profits up.
Old May 14, 2014, 04:04 PM   #75
DivotMaker
Radeon Caribbean Islands

DivotMaker is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Honestly, Ill probably just buy it no matter what they release. My iPhone 5 is nearly 2 years old and Im in too deep into Apples walled garden. I also dont care about specs on a phone at this point and cant be annoyed to switch all my **** to android. A couple of years ago I might have given a fck... but now no fcks given.

This is coming from a computer enthusiast so its not like I dont know better, I just dont care and want something a bit faster.

If they come out with some new tech/added tech cool, if not I still get a faster phone.

You just described my mindset to a T....
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 04:08 PM   #76
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker View Post
You just described my mindset to a T....

Mine as well, i've never had a problem with Apple either... Just does what i need it to do.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 06:50 PM   #77
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

I'm thinking about switching to Android just for something new. I don't have a ton of apps even though I've own iPhones since the first one and have two iPads. Android just seems more customizable and I've never been a huge fan of the Apple closed ecosystem. Looking for a larger screen too and don't want to wait around for the iPhone 6 (have a 4s now). Have been following OnePlus but haven't been too impressed by what I have seen from the people who have received theirs recently from the contest they had (poor quality control and thought the speakers would be better than HTC One). Interested to see how the LG G3 turns out on the 27th. Sounds pretty awesome and I'd prefer a established company with local support.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 07:30 PM   #78
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
But overall profit and marketshare might rise. Only if they make that hardware relevant to the user experience though.
It's a slippery slope.

Remember when Dell was the predominant seller of PC's above $1000 and $1500 many years ago? No? My point exactly.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 07:31 PM   #79
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
he was obviously being sarcastic...
See his post history. He wasn't. I seriously think he has a mental condition, but it's whatever.

Unless you were being sarcastic.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:24 PM   #80
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Yep, if I wasn't serious then Apple isn't the only phone manufacturer even close to capable of making a true 4G LTE device.

Not serious. You need to get your sarcasm gauge checked.

Old May 15, 2014, 01:12 AM   #81
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
I would say this is wrong, at least the resolution. I'm buying into the idea pitched by podcasts that I listen to that the resolution of the 4.7" will mirrior the iPads Mini Retina, so... whatever resolution at 4.7" means 326ppi. The 5.5 would mirrior the iPad Air at 264 ppi.

Those are the screens being massed produced, it would make sense to adapt them to a new product to keep costs down and profits up.

That's not really how the screen tech works though, there's plenty of flexibility in ppi depending on the process, the factory, and the price premium (yield based) to make sticking to one number sort of irrelevant. I can't say that they won't try to mimic other screens' pixel densities, but limitations of tech or cost certainly don't bias the existing densities. They don't make a big sheet at a given ppi and cut it up, they make each screen individually, so it comes down to what is available, is giving the best yields, gives the best color accuracy, what is cheapest, or what have you.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 09:14 AM   #82
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
It's a slippery slope.

Remember when Dell was the predominant seller of PC's above $1000 and $1500 many years ago? No? My point exactly.
Not sure what your point is here, I don't see a relevant comparison, especially at the business level.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 15, 2014, 10:09 AM   #83
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Funny thing is, if they stopped being so greedy and put the exact same android flagship specs on their next iPhone, they'd easily best out Samsung even with their gazillion phone refreshes.
Apple is more concerned about packaging and quality control than having the latest and greatest specs. Can you imagine the fallout if Apple had to recall 3 million iPhones on launch day because their new cutting-edge radio had a hardware flaw?
Old May 15, 2014, 10:22 AM   #84
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Apple is more concerned about packaging and quality control than having the latest and greatest specs. Can you imagine the fallout if Apple had to recall 3 million iPhones on launch day because their new cutting-edge radio had a hardware flaw?
When has this happened?
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 01:03 PM   #85
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
When has this happened?

Clearly never.
Old May 15, 2014, 01:53 PM   #86
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
When has this happened?
Lots of times on Android. Going through my smartphone history:

Nexus 5 - speaker holes too small on first revision, camera/battery drain issues that are still unfixed

Galaxy Nexus - inherently broken 5ghz WIFI, barely audible speakerphone, screen banding, overheating

Motorola Triumph - inherently broken GPS, wake lock issues, data stalls, improperly resized widgets on screen rotation, etc.

Samsung Intercept - inherently broken GPS, overheating, lockups
Old May 15, 2014, 02:24 PM   #87
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

Nexus 5 - speaker holes too small on first revision, camera/battery drain issues that are still unfixed

Galaxy Nexus - inherently broken 5ghz WIFI, barely audible speakerphone, screen banding, overheating

Motorola Triumph - inherently broken GPS, wake lock issues, data stalls, improperly resized widgets on screen rotation, etc.

add to the list

iPhone 4 - no cellular connectivity to anywhere if you held the phone directly in your hand in the most common way most people hold their phone
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 02:24 PM   #88
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Not sure what your point is here, I don't see a relevant comparison, especially at the business level.
It's a question of business and segment focus. Dell tried to go after all markets and lost focus. Their reputation suffered as well. Today, they make excellent products but that stigma has stuck.

Apple has already been through a couple of cycles but has a new market segment to play with and differentiate within.

Chasing the low-end is not in their DNA at the moment. See the sales figures of the 5C v/s 5S as an example of whom they are catering to.

Quote:

Don't believe there was ever a recall on the items you have mentioned above.

Don't forget about Apple's antenna issues (free bumper cases) and the button issues (fix/replacement in stores) as well.

Net is that electronic devices, especially with newer tech can and most likely will develop some issues. Electronic device problems are agnostic to manufacturer/developer/designer, and OS.
Old May 15, 2014, 02:45 PM   #89
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

You said "recall."
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 03:12 PM   #90
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
It's a question of business and segment focus. Dell tried to go after all markets and lost focus. Their reputation suffered as well. Today, they make excellent products but that stigma has stuck.

Apple has already been through a couple of cycles but has a new market segment to play with and differentiate within.

Chasing the low-end is not in their DNA at the moment. See the sales figures of the 5C v/s 5S as an example of whom they are catering to.
Hmm I'm a bit confused, I thought we were talking about Apple potentially producing devices that matched the specs of competitors? Essentially bidding for more high end marketshare. Not chasing the bottom line for low end marketshare.

As for Dell, from what I remember in analysis class, they didn't really fail in pursuing different market segments. Their downfall had more to do with a shift in technology use and being unable to develop products that catered to that shift (smartphone/tablets).

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"