Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 5, 2013, 06:18 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
So yah, how's the actual phone?

Mine get's here tomorrow.
Phone... use the thing to talk to someone?

Seems ok. Most of my talk time was in the Fiat hands free bluetooth over car audio. Had one small conversation with my wife no bluetooth. Seemed normal.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:37 PM   #182
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Leaves warehouse in 2 - 3 weeks.
Soon enough

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:41 PM   #183
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

My sisters STILL hasn't shipped, and today was supposed to be the day She ordered a white 32gb within the first hour it was available.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:50 PM   #184
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
Closer to ~3hrs Screen time on.
That's slightly better than my S3.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 06:58 AM   #185
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

well over xda people are reporting 4-5.5 hours screen on time, definitely behind the other giants like note 3, one max or even g2
Old Nov 6, 2013, 08:48 AM   #186
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Mine's in: First Impression of Nexus 5 - First Impression of Android (where the device is mine, not someone else's.)

Based on comparison to the Lumia 920

- Camera - *For me* they seem equivalent for straight snap and shoot. Haven't tested video. I do notice the shutter delay that TheVerge slammed in their review... I think they were exaggerating it a bit. Including the HDR+ processing time.

- Speed - OS Speed appears to be the same. Apps load a tick faster but general OS interaction, email clients, browser clients, are basically identical

- Speaker - Pretty poor compared to the Nokia. Noticeably hallow, I would label it cheap.

- Screen - Screen is excellent, however, so is the Lumia's. I couldn't really tell a quality difference. I do realize that on paper it's suppose to be better, but I can't tell a difference between the 720p lumia and 1080p Nexus. The Lumia has a double tap to wake the screen, the Nexus 5 does not.

- Physical - The Nexus 5 is easier to hold, lighter, narrower, thinner. Easier to one hand most items.

- Accessories - Everything matches and works, including wireless charging, SIM swap was a seemless on AT&T.

- Media - A bit surprised Android doesn't have a built-in way to play podcasts? That's a negative compared to WP8. When I wasn't getting hit with the audio bug I've detailed in other posts (which was almost daily) I enjoyed staying within one app for podcasts/music. In Android you have to bounce between 3 apps for what Microsoft has in 1.

- Google Hangouts - Messaging more reliable then Skype

Just my initial impressions so far after a couple hours of use last night and early this morning. I'll update it further throughout the day or tonight. Big test will be when I'm at the gym and my interactions there.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:06 AM   #187
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
Apocalypsee I ordered a white one, should be in tomorrow or Thursday, will post photos.
Thanks, I really need it Looking forward to your photos.

My Xperia ZL screen on time today is 2 hour 20 minutes today on HSPA+, with very heavy browsing but that is really really poor in my book. I hope Nexus 5 fares better with more power saving components, I also read that the SoC uses less voltage as compared to older S4 Pro SoC
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:16 AM   #188
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
- Media - A bit surprised Android doesn't have a built-in way to play podcasts? That's a negative compared to WP8. When I wasn't getting hit with the audio bug I've detailed in other posts (which was almost daily) I enjoyed staying within one app for podcasts/music. In Android you have to bounce between 3 apps for what Microsoft has in 1.
Why would you need 3 apps for music/podcast? I use Google Play Music for Music and Podkicker Pro for podcasts.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:09 AM   #189
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Why would you need 3 apps for music/podcast? I use Google Play Music for Music and Podkicker Pro for podcasts.
I'm including the play store. Do you subscribe to podcasts via the Podkicker app? If so, then it would be 2. In WP8, the store includes everything (apps, music and podcasts) and it's directly linked into the music app. When I had an iPhone, I wasn't in to podcasts so I can't compare it to that.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 04:13 PM   #190
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

First impressions for me;

The phone seems a bit cheap right out of the box, it gives the appearance that it is a nice quality phone. Not exactly stoked about Google Now service, but overall the phone does seem pretty nice. Sucks the screen protector has a big "Nexus 5" text right smack dab in the middle of the screen....hrmm okay Google wtf!?

I haven't used it on any service yet, gonna probably get AT&T, but wish'd I could use US Cellular where I live, or even better yet, use my Sim card for my unlimited Verizon data.

Anyhow, the screen on the S4 seems a little better quality, some slight ghosting when doing quick things with the Nexus 5.

I really need a case for the Nexus, I don't like using it barenakedladies!
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 04:39 PM   #191
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
Sucks the screen protector has a big "Nexus 5" text right smack dab in the middle of the screen....hrmm okay Google wtf!?
You know that screen cover is only for shipping and isn't supposed to be permanent right...?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 6, 2013, 04:39 PM   #192
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Never understood the compulsion to take slender phone and slap a big ugly phone condom on it. I've used my Gnex naked since Feb 2012 and it still looks brand new.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 04:49 PM   #193
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, I realize that it could be only for shipping, but why not just let people use it as something they wouldn't have to invest more monies into. I mean cmon!
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 05:01 PM   #194
Zero
Sass hole

Enh, that's just a cost to tack on for the manufacturer and you wouldn't have a say on its quality. I did keep my Samsung-logo'd screen cover for a week with my S3 so I know what you mean though

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 6, 2013, 05:05 PM   #195
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
You know that screen cover is only for shipping and isn't supposed to be permanent right...?
What?

I thought you were supposed to use it in the original box it came in

j/k

Mine should be here in the next hour or two, and then a quick trip to ATT to get my **** swapped out.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 05:26 PM   #196
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
i used the n4 for a few months with that cover on , as a matter of fact the back one is still there, put it in a case since day one and never bother to take that one off

im surprized the screen does not have any micro scratches yet, with the air so dry and dusty here i've had bad experiences with sandy dust particles
Old Nov 6, 2013, 05:35 PM   #197
Zero
Sass hole

Sand particles? Teh noes!

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 6, 2013, 06:52 PM   #198
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I keep my phone unprotected in my pocket with my keys. I don't care about scratches. My Gnex looked like someone dropped it in a blender. It is not jewelry. For me it is just a geek device. I do keep my old scratched up devices, like trophies.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 08:38 PM   #199
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Just got my phone. Spent almost an hour at ATT and they weren't able to transfer my contacts

Trying to figure it out now, but gotta say, I am loving this phone so far.

I miss some of the gestures and live-tiles, but overall I am having fun discovering 4.4

Also, side note, it charges on all my wireless chargers for my Nokia

The screen is quite awesome. Anyone having problems, manually adjust brightness instead of using default. It seems to get super bright and fluctuates a lot.

The camera is not as good as my Nokia's, but I have only taken night-time shots thus far. Might take some action shots when I go to a hockey game this weekend.

About the phone itself, it feels amazing in the hand, the overall build quality seems solid. Sure, it's not metal, but it looks clean (I am a minimalist).

More to come but so far, loving it
Old Nov 6, 2013, 08:52 PM   #200
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Mine should be in tomorrow, very excited. But kinda sad not gonna have a Slimrom version of Kitkat for another few weeks makes me sadpanda. SlimRom 4.3.1 Stable v2 on my Nexus 4 is smoothsauce.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:07 PM   #201
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
Mine should be in tomorrow, very excited. But kinda sad not gonna have a Slimrom version of Kitkat for another few weeks makes me sadpanda. SlimRom 4.3.1 Stable v2 on my Nexus 4 is smoothsauce.
If you are planning on taking it into a store for transfer and all that stuff (I got all my contacts synced btw by saving as a .csv and importing into google on my d'top), I HIGHLY recommend firing up the phone, skipping SIM screen and installing the 125 MB update.

Very highly recommended
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:14 PM   #202
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Meh, all my contacts are backed up on my google account, what's there to transfer over?
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:16 PM   #203
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Love my new nexus 5, switched from the G2 to it till KitKat comes to it.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:31 PM   #204
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

I have a windows phone 8. Unfortunately not a lot of options for migration with it.

Loving the stock swype style keyboard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:04 AM   #205
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Never mind, switched back to my G2. Battery and a few glitches is making me wait for update.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:20 AM   #206
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Never mind, switched back to my G2. Battery and a few glitches is making me wait for update.
What's up with the battery and what kind of glitches?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:39 AM   #207
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

Battery life just isn't that great compared to the G2 and in getting a lot of either random lag or overlay issues. Like I can be in an app and hit home but the launcher will just be on top of the app (so it looks like the app is my wallpaper).

The battery life is my main concern since I work with my phone and coming from the G2.

Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:13 PM   #208
Zero
Sass hole

That's weird, have you tried do a reset?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:13 PM   #209
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Battery life just isn't that great compared to the G2 and in getting a lot of either random lag or overlay issues. Like I can be in an app and hit home but the launcher will just be on top of the app (so it looks like the app is my wallpaper).

The battery life is my main concern since I work with my phone and coming from the G2.

You might want to return your unit re: the glitches. Mine has been solid thus far.

The battery life is definitely draining quick when I use the sucker. I'll play around with settings over the next week to figure out the best balance, but so far it is not as long as my Nokia.

Haven't had any glitches, though some apps like Good for Enterprise have lag. Not a phone issue, more an application issue (Good is terrible at optimizing their UI).
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:22 PM   #210
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

I've only experienced one glitch. I have two email accounts set up. Once when I launched the email app it rapidly toggled between account views and would not stop. I killed the email app, relaunched and all was ok again.