Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 2, 2013, 01:51 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
slick
Radeon Evergreen

slick can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyslick can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Well, I'm going to need a new sim since the iPhone 5 uses nano sim not micro
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 01:54 PM   #122
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Why not just get an adaptor?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 01:55 PM   #123
slick
Radeon Evergreen

slick can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyslick can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I'm dumb?...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 2, 2013, 01:57 PM   #124
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
TIL, this is a thing

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...0SIM%20adapter
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:21 PM   #125
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick View Post
I'm dumb?...
no no, they're just not common I guess. Dunno why providers don't readily sell them.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:27 PM   #126
slick
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
no no, they're just not common I guess. Dunno why providers don't readily sell them.
Probably because they want you to come into their store so they can try and sell you stuff you don't want.

I will probably order one those adaptors off of Amazon, but I'm going to the AT&T store on Monday and will just get a micro sim since I plan on using the N5 for at least a few solid weeks and I have no patience to wait for the adapter
Old Nov 2, 2013, 02:50 PM   #127
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Let the gouging commence.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/2/50...5-off-contract

Quote:
Best Buy selling Google's $349 Nexus 5 for $799.99
Quote:
Buying a Nexus 5 without a contract at Best Buy is going to be expensive. Very expensive. The massive US retail chain has priced off-contract purchases at an eye-popping $799.99 according to a new Sprint listing on its website. That's for the 16GB model, which sells for $349 at Google Play. Even Sprint itself isn't asking for that much; the carrier is charging $449.99 for the device at full cost — $100 more than Google. Best Buy has tacked on an extra $350 to that figure, instantly putting off-contract purchases out of reach for most customers. The company routinely prices "replacement" devices well above their normal suggested retail price, but we've rarely seen a gap as massive as this one.

At least they'll price match most times, so there's that.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 04:02 PM   #128
slick
Radeon Evergreen

That's garbage. I knew there was a reason why I stopped shopping at BB.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 08:53 AM   #129
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Well for some reason my N5 had shipped even though it said "ship date Nov 15th" so pretty excited! Don't know who I will use carrier wise but hopefully things will work out.
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2013, 09:21 AM   #130
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
Well for some reason my N5 had shipped even though it said "ship date Nov 15th" so pretty excited! Don't know who I will use carrier wise but hopefully things will work out.
I hate you

Mine said Nov 8th ship-date and it's still hanging on.

What color/capacity did you get?

Mine is the white, 32GB.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 09:31 AM   #131
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

It's only a couple weeks away at most bro, but I got the black 32gb!
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2013, 09:36 AM   #132
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
It's only a couple weeks away at most bro, but I got the black 32gb!
The P1 will probably come to market before I get mine
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:04 AM   #133
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I was already getting 25mps+ with HSPA+, now I'm learnin about 4G LTE -- How fast will I download stuff with that now ?!? Realistically I mean...

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:47 AM   #134
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

How much of a upgrade is this compared to a Galaxy S3?

Also the camera seems to be 8Megapixel, same as S3. I like taking photo's with my Phone, not really interested in a dedicated camera. Will the camera be actually any better?

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:

Last edited by SirBaron : Nov 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:50 AM   #135
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by .nox View Post
I was already getting 25mps+ with HSPA+, now I'm learnin about 4G LTE -- How fast will I download stuff with that now ?!? Realistically I mean...
It depends on your coverage.

I get about 8 Mbps in parts of Austin. In parts of Dallas I was hitting 35 or so. So there is that.

It should be at least as good as your current rates, or better, in best case scenarios.

If you're unlucky, it may be worse
Old Nov 3, 2013, 02:39 PM   #136
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Aaaaaaaannnndddd... it shipped

Old Nov 3, 2013, 06:29 PM   #137
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Same here, just got tracking number, both our phones have shipped. Funny thing is, I just got this Nexus 4 when it went on sale for 100$ off a few months ago. Oh well, time to sell if for 100$.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2013, 06:44 PM   #138
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Checking on the Amazon trade-in, I am looking at about $120 for my old iPhone and Lumia 920 each. I can live with that.

But I'll probably hold onto my Nokia till 8.1 comes out as a wifi only device.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 09:24 AM   #139
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
How much of a upgrade is this compared to a Galaxy S3?

Also the camera seems to be 8Megapixel, same as S3. I like taking photo's with my Phone, not really interested in a dedicated camera. Will the camera be actually any better?
the N5 camera has image stabilization, so that's an upgrade, would have to check some reviews to see if it makes any difference
Old Nov 4, 2013, 09:41 AM   #140
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

I got it. Seems strange that it needs to do an update right out of the box.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 09:45 AM   #141
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
I got it. Seems strange that it needs to do an update right out of the box.
That's not that strange...

My sister's phone still hasn't shipped, and her ship date was much sooner than most of you guys...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 09:49 AM   #142
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
That's not that strange...

Not strange for a phone that has been sitting in a warehouse or shelf for months. I assumed this thing was almost strait from the assembly line.

[edit] maybe they need to detect the location so they can install the correct NSA sniffing components
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:41 AM   #143
Zero
Sass hole

The verge has a more detailed review of the N5. Doesn't seem like they really improved the camera and battery weaknesses from the N4

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/50...nexus-5-review

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:03 PM   #144
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

Just got back from a T-Mo store. They popped in a new smaller SIM (no charge). The phone booted and displayed an LTE indicator. Sadly no LTE here in my office.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:06 PM   #145
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
The verge has a more detailed review of the N5. Doesn't seem like they really improved the camera and battery weaknesses from the N4

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/50...nexus-5-review
They did.

Don't expect a proper review of a non-Apple product from places like CNET and The Verge. Read between the lines and look at the specs and you'll be fine.

-edit-

Let me rephrase as I read my comment and I don't want to give off the wrong impression

The battery life is better than the N4 in pretty much all reviews I have read, and has been supposedly up near the GS4 and typically better than the One. I guess YMMV.

On the camera, I have read about inconsistencies there and it may indeed by the software, but it is definitely better than the N4 in every review I have seen and typically has been better than the GS4 and others in reviews online.

I'll give my verdict when my phone arrives on Wednesday/Thursday and compare it with my 920 and my older iPhone 4.

Last edited by Sazar : Nov 4, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:11 PM   #146
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
They did.

Don't expect a proper review of a non-Apple product from places like CNET and The Verge. Read between the lines and look at the specs and you'll be fine.

I've heard the same, including engadget.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:14 PM   #147
Zero
Sass hole

Oh come on...

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...ough-not-great

Relatively mediocre battery performance confirmed.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...-video-samples

Admittedly the camera seems a bit better than the N4, but it's still playing catch-up with the competition (like not even as good as the S4's, which is still not as good as a 1020 or even 5s).

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:36 PM   #148
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Oh come on...

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...ough-not-great

Relatively mediocre battery performance confirmed.
Those are the approximate numbers I have read.

Quote:
http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...-video-samples

Admittedly the camera seems a bit better than the N4, but it's still playing catch-up with the competition (like not even as good as the S4's, which is still not as good as a 1020 or even 5s).
The S4's camera isn't very good unless you go in and tweak it. Several of my colleagues have em and many had default settings. Not a lot of unblurred shots taken. It ends up being a big deal when my 920 is the default camera for most off-site events

The N5 from what I have read/seen in reviews, is supposed to have better OIS implementation for default. But the consensus seems to be, like the Moto X, it may need a little TLC to become better.

I can take some shots with the Nexus and the 920 if you guys want. Maybe over the weekend I'll drive around and snap some pics
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:39 PM   #149
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

I ordered my phone on Friday and it shipped today. Was supposed to be 3-4 weeks Can't complain.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:43 PM   #150
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I can take some shots with the Nexus and the 920 if you guys want. Maybe over the weekend I'll drive around and snap some pics
Sure, would love to see some comparo shots.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"