Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 28, 2013, 03:41 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Umm does surface RT have desktop mode also? Isn't that a Surface PRO feature only?
WinRT has the Desktop. However, unless you jailbreak the OS, you are not able to install any desktop applications.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 03:48 PM   #152
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Umm does surface RT have desktop mode also? Isn't that a Surface PRO feature only?
Office runs in desktop mode on it.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:24 PM   #153
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

As does IE as he showed. An excellent demo for what direction Microsoft is taking the OS and with the Surface line. Problem is (and kinda always has been for them) that they don't properly communicate what can be done when they debut something new.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 28, 2013, 06:17 PM   #154
Athlon-pv
Radeon R420

Athlon-pv is still being judged by the masses

I'm sure the person in the video loves the pay check he gets .

From a sales perspective this is so hardcore retarded that even retarded people take offense to it being retarded.

The goal is to change the tablet marketshare and all they are doing is dumping cheap tablets on the market where they are already "low". Now even MS can't sustain this over a period of severals years.

So what would this produce , getting rid of hardware which they already taken financial pounding on. They are going to do this again , not very likely because the end result is that MS bravely decided to shaft everyone of their partners so they all left and only Dell is left with SurfaceRT.

Now this makes any real effort on gaining marketshare impossible, because no one in their right mind is going to "install" WindowsRT on their Android tablet. Since that won't happen and retail is not happening either, you can get a boost in sales according to website that loves to grab money from MS for the free advertising on surfaceRT but that does not solve the problem.
Athlon-pv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:54 PM   #155
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Meh love my RT tablet and everything he points out is 100% true.

And Nokia's about to bring out there own RT tablet as well here soon.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:45 AM   #156
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

My cousin getting one today, I gonna test it first before buying.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:49 AM   #157
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon-pv View Post
Now even MS can't sustain this over a period of severals years.
If they write down a billion a year, that's nothing.

They still have crazy market share and complete vendor lock-in -> they can keep losing money like crazy because they have a constant revenue from people that can't change their platforms / products.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:06 AM   #158
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
WinRT has the Desktop. However, unless you jailbreak the OS, you are not able to install any desktop applications.
So any x86 app wont work and in order to install desktop apps that are made for arm you need to jailbreak? Then again why bother with RT when you could choose pro and get a lot better app support. What MS needs to do is to drop RT completely and drop Surface PRO price where RT is now.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:14 AM   #159
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
So any x86 app wont work and in order to install desktop apps that are made for arm you need to jailbreak? Then again why bother with RT when you could choose pro and get a lot better app support. What MS needs to do is to drop RT completely and drop Surface PRO price where RT is now.
Then we would get ATOM based junk as Service Pro. I hate Netbook performance and def don't want that in a tablet
Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming |Ryzen R7 2700X |16GB DDRR DRAM 3000 |MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB | 6TB NVMe/HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro / OpenSuse
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:44 AM   #160
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmt View Post
Then we would get ATOM based junk as Service Pro. I hate Netbook performance and def don't want that in a tablet
Arent the new atom procs that are about to release much better?

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:25 AM   #161
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Arent the new atom procs that are about to release much better?
the next gen Silvermont Atom uses OoO, but current one still suck donkey balls
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:01 AM   #162
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
the next gen Silvermont Atom uses OoO, but current one still suck donkey balls

Yep, depending on price/performance, I would seriously consider the new Atoms over Haswell.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:55 PM   #163
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
And so what? It's a tablet, I don't hold the same expectations as a x86 laptop. I just wanted a well priced, power sipping, multi-tasking tablet, that can get around the limitations of a typical tablet OS. Which it does brilliantly.

That said, if Intel can get into ARM territory, it would be pretty awesome

System:
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:19 PM   #164
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Would RT have fared better if it was an expanded windows phone OS as opposed to downsize Win8 desktop made to work on ARM?

I mean WP8 went to the NT kernel like Win8 and RT...but in theory shouldn't RT run all of WP8 apps and vice versa? What the hell did MS do to eff it up so badly.....
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:14 AM   #165
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Would RT have fared better if it was an expanded windows phone OS as opposed to downsize Win8 desktop made to work on ARM?

I mean WP8 went to the NT kernel like Win8 and RT...but in theory shouldn't RT run all of WP8 apps and vice versa? What the hell did MS do to eff it up so badly.....
They do. It's up to the developers to spend the time. I've heard some only took a day or two to port.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:50 AM   #166
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post

RT would have fared better if MS had done a better job marketing the product AND setting expectations. They didn't do a good job of either.

The reason the original iPhone and iPad commercials were good (the new ones suck donkey balls) is because they involved lifestyle settings and demonstrated how the operating system/applications/application ecosystem operated.

People saw and sort of knew the basics before ever buying the product.

Microsoft did not really start doing that till later.

Heck, I HATED Windows 8 when I first started using it, for about a week, until I learnt what it could do. Now, I love it because it is so powerful and so flexible. But that initial perception is a constant theme you see here and elsewhere, and the criticism gets resoundingly loud in the echo chamber.

So yes, RT is a good product for what it does and the price point it hits. And yes, MS did a terrible job with marketing it.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:46 AM   #167
Athlon-pv
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Heck, I HATED Windows 8 when I first started using it, for about a week, until I learnt what it could do. Now, I love it because it is so powerful and so flexible. But that initial perception is a constant theme you see here and elsewhere, and the criticism gets resoundingly loud in the echo chamber.

So yes, RT is a good product for what it does and the price point it hits. And yes, MS did a terrible job with marketing it.
On the windows 8 issue , it is not even an issue as long as you are not a "monkey see monkey do" person it is not that hard to get around, but is it a step forward from windows 7 , nah.

RT is not a good product. No one is supporting RT but MS and Dell. MS can not do business with their approach on WindowsRT/SurfaceRT.

Android with it drawbacks still is easier for manufacturer to make, Intel believed so they are there.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:00 AM   #168
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
On the windows 8 issue , it is not even an issue as long as you are not a "monkey see monkey do" person it is not that hard to get around, but is it a step forward from windows 7 , nah.
8 is much more stable, faster and overall better designed in many ways than 7. So it is most definitely a step forward.

The UI issue of exposing some of the features and functionality has been discussed on R3D a fair bit. Microsoft definitely dropped the ball there.

Quote:
RT is not a good product. No one is supporting RT but MS and Dell. MS can not do business with their approach on WindowsRT/SurfaceRT.
Why is it not a good product? RT is a better OS in several regards than it's competition. What makes you say it isn't a good product? The quality of the product is not what the problem is. Not sure if you ever saw "Pirates of Silicon Valley", but this quote is very apropos.

Steve Jobs: We're better than you are! We have better stuff.
Bill Gates: You don't get it, Steve. That doesn't matter!

Microsoft did a terrible job with the advertising and promotion of the product, as well as brand differentiation. It has hurt them immensely. But it does not mean that RT is a bad product.

Quote:
Android with it drawbacks still is easier for manufacturer to make, Intel believed so they are there.
Android is a better price. It's FREE. Microsoft has dropped it's pants on a number of developer fees and is doing a far better job over the past 6 months than what it was doing before. But there is a difference in being proactive as opposed to reactive. And unfortunately that is exactly what Microsoft has been doing.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:16 PM   #169
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Tested my cousin RT, performance wise I'd say it's iOS smooth. The smoothness and the way it switches between apps is seamless. IE works great, scrolling on webpage is a lot smoother than Android, I dare to say no Android devices will be this smooth, but some flash based sites were problematic like unable to select drop down menus but it's a small issue. There is some problems with ergonomics like the edges were a bit too sharp where I put my hands on it and it's a bit too heavy for one handed usage, it will be better if this were 16:10 display instead of 16:9. Bad thing is I have been spoiled by 441PPI 5 inch FullHD phones, looking at 10 inch 1366x768 makes me notice the jaggies on text heavy site

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:21 PM   #170
Athlon-pv
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Microsoft did a terrible job with the advertising and promotion of the product, as well as brand differentiation. It has hurt them immensely. But it does not mean that RT is a bad product.
Not really they had an idea on where the market would be and it was not there. They banked on windows name and they lost.

The partners for distributing the software are gone. Short of putting a gun to OEM head there is no way they are going to sell this.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:26 PM   #171
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Not really they had an idea on where the market would be and it was not there. They banked on windows name and they lost.

The partners for distributing the software are gone. Short of putting a gun to OEM head there is no way they are going to sell this.
With Intel developing decent processing power, low power consumption chips, RT could well be mothballed. No doubt.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 04:04 AM   #172
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Just got the Surface RT today, it's my cousin set. He sold it to me because there isn't much apps for design so he got an iPad instead. Anything I should do first on RT? I'm still new to it

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:08 PM   #173
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
Just got the Surface RT today, it's my cousin set. He sold it to me because there isn't much apps for design so he got an iPad instead. Anything I should do first on RT? I'm still new to it
I guess get familiar with the start screen UI. Start customizing it, remove apps your don't want. Then get apps relevant to your life. I guess start with News and Email. Get News Bento.

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 05:41 PM   #174
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Here are some that I use,

Games
Pay
- Rayman: Jungle Run
- Skulls of the Shogun
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Hydro Thunder:Hurricane
Free
- Snes8x
- Guns 4 Hire
- Jetpack Joyride
- Soul Craft

Video
- Press Play Video
- Netflix
- Crackle

Other apps
- Teamviewer
- Fotor

System:
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:24 PM   #175
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Does Snes8x come with games?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 860Pro 512GB/ 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:32 PM   #176
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

They need to make a tablet interface for their mobile OS just like everyone else. Or at least make the apps compatible.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:44 AM   #177
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
I guess get familiar with the start screen UI. Start customizing it, remove apps your don't want. Then get apps relevant to your life. I guess start with News and Email. Get News Bento.
I don't know stock apps can be removed, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Here are some that I use,

Games
Pay
- Rayman: Jungle Run
- Skulls of the Shogun
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Hydro Thunder:Hurricane
Free
- Snes8x
- Guns 4 Hire
- Jetpack Joyride
- Soul Craft

Video
- Press Play Video
- Netflix
- Crackle

Other apps
- Teamviewer
- Fotor
Those are some useful apps, thanks. Press Play Video player is the video player I been looking for

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:06 AM   #178
0091/2
We Do It!

Is the surface tablet fan-less?

Current Desktop [2016]

Last edited by 0091/2 : Sep 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:38 PM   #179
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Anyone here use Remote Desktop apps to connect to Windows PC?

I tired it but I keep getting "The certificate's not from a trusted certifying authority" error. I use "localaccount/<PC name>" as login credentials and I don't use any password.

Any sort of guide will be much appreciated. I am clueless in this

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:58 PM   #180
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

I have not used it myself, but I found a couple of guides when searching online.

http://www.guidingtech.com/13469/how...-in-windows-8/

And this for RT.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner...sktop-app.aspx

Hope this helps.