Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:59 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I have a test GS3 coming from my company that I could try for a week. We will see.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:10 PM   #122
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

If you can give it more than a week, do. There's plenty of things that may not be to everyone's satisfaction right out of the box that you could tweak yourself. Even rooting/ROMing imo is necessary knowledge to appreciate the full Android experience (or even to appreciate the value of stock ROM).

Make sure it's on Jelly Bean (4.1.1) and has had at least a factory reset done once before really starting to use it.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:26 PM   #123
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
If you can give it more than a week, do. There's plenty of things that may not be to everyone's satisfaction right out of the box that you could tweak yourself. Even rooting/ROMing imo is necessary knowledge to appreciate the full Android experience (or even to appreciate the value of stock ROM).

Make sure it's on Jelly Bean (4.1.1) and has had at least a factory reset done once before really starting to use it.
It's pretty good stock. It will take about a week just to figure out all the nuances. It took me a few days to really start using my 920, and I had used an iPhone for many years beforehand. Raz REALLY drinks the koolaid, so I am not expecting miracles.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:31 PM   #124
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

If the phone doesn't work as intended out of the box, it's already lost the battle.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:33 PM   #125
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
If the phone doesn't work as intended out of the box, it's already lost the battle.
It's always nice to see you haven't already stacked the deck

Was it 2 months ago you were saying you were going to move away from Apple? The last of a few threads indicating you were open to trying other products?

How'd that work out?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:50 PM   #126
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
It's always nice to see you haven't already stacked the deck

Was it 2 months ago you were saying you were going to move away from Apple? The last of a few threads indicating you were open to trying other products?

How'd that work out?
I'll let you after i try it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:31 PM   #127
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:

Don't be an ass. It works as intended, it might not be optimal for everyone in every situation. At least you have more control over what the experience is going to be like with an S3.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:59 AM   #128
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
iPhones don't work for me out of the box, they must have lost the battle. Oh wait, they have.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:25 AM   #129
Hogrider
Radeon Evergreen

Hogrider is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Same here. You shouldn't have to buy something and mess with it to get it to work. That is the exact reason I love my iphone. No need to hack it.
I like to mess with the computer but a phone? No thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:36 AM   #130
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Same here. You shouldn't have to buy something and mess with it to get it to work. That is the exact reason I love my iphone. No need to hack it.
I like to mess with the computer but a phone? No thanks.
I like things to work exactly how I want them to work, don't have that freedom with iOS.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:43 AM   #131
DivotMaker
Radeon Caribbean Islands

DivotMaker is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I like things to work exactly how I want them to work, don't have that freedom with iOS.
That doesn't mean that iPhones don't work right out of the box for those who buy them, only those expecting an Android-like experience. Some want a phone that simply works right out of the box "as is" and don't want to screw around with all sorts of different settings, rooting their phone, installing new ROM's, etc. For those of you that do, good for you. You have an alternative. That being said, I don't deny that more and more users want more control over their phones and how they interact with them. Apple needs to recognize this as well as pull their heads out of the sand and realize that other providers are offering more features and capabilities for less. On that I agree Apple is losing and losing big time. Personally I don't care for the Android experience, but if that is the direction the smartphone market IS going, then I will gladly go along for the ride....
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:13 AM   #132
Zero
Sass hole

Let's be clear here, both iPhones and Android phones will work *as intended* out of the box. This means you don't HAVE to (generally) correct any functional defect yourself. The difference is, on Android you can *improve* functionality via customization, setting tweaking, using 3rd party apps, or even rooting/ROMing.

It's kind of like saying, the battery life on my S3 sucks. Yes, initially it sucked, but it wasn't broken (aka not working as intended). I had to spend some time in trying out a few solutions to *optimize it*. That's all.

Apple in this regard makes things easier for the user by managing a lot of things within iOS. However, as we all know, this ease of use is limiting if the user wants things a different way. It's a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for.

IMO (and I would say many Android users'), having the control over the OS that Android affords is better than having none in iOS. The onus IS on you to optimize the experience, but once you do, it's quite rewarding.

So, to reiterate my point: keep an open mind and look at what CAN be accomplished instead of just being dismissive and making superficial judgments to fully appreciate the experience of "any" platform. Except BB10, we hates it.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:38 AM   #133
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker View Post
That doesn't mean that iPhones don't work right out of the box for those who buy them, only those expecting an Android-like experience. Some want a phone that simply works right out of the box "as is" and don't want to screw around with all sorts of different settings, rooting their phone, installing new ROM's, etc. For those of you that do, good for you. You have an alternative. That being said, I don't deny that more and more users want more control over their phones and how they interact with them. Apple needs to recognize this as well as pull their heads out of the sand and realize that other providers are offering more features and capabilities for less. On that I agree Apple is losing and losing big time. Personally I don't care for the Android experience, but if that is the direction the smartphone market IS going, then I will gladly go along for the ride....
The people who custom rom make up a very small portion of the Android user base, they are definitely a minority. Tech forums make it seem like more than it really is. Was the last Android device you used Gingerbread based? I'd understand not liking that but Jelly Bean is another story entirely, or of the box it's just fantastic, I've never been happier with the end user experience compared to any previous device I've used.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:38 AM   #134
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

You're not giving BB10 a fair shake. It isn't even out yet.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:50 AM   #135
DivotMaker
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The people who custom rom make up a very small portion of the Android user base, they are definitely a minority. Tech forums make it seem like more than it really is. Was the last Android device you used Gingerbread based? I'd understand not liking that but Jelly Bean is another story entirely, or of the box it's just fantastic, I've never been happier with the end user experience compared to any previous device I've used.
I am not into customizing my cell phone. It just is not important to me, but I respect those who feel it is a big deal. I just use my phone for call, texting, email (Corporate and personal) and web browsing. Don't see the need for anything else, but I will admit that I have not used an Android device with JB on it so I don't know what I am missing. Not sure I am interested, but may be someday....
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:01 AM   #136
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
You're not giving BB10 a fair shake. It isn't even out yet.
I'm being facetious, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they make of it and if it'll shape the industry in any way.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:37 AM   #137
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I'm being facetious, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they make of it and if it'll shape the industry in any way.
I was being sarcastic.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:26 AM   #138
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
I am not into customizing my cell phone. It just is not important to me, but I respect those who feel it is a big deal. I just use my phone for call, texting, email (Corporate and personal) and web browsing. Don't see the need for anything else, but I will admit that I have not used an Android device with JB on it so I don't know what I am missing. Not sure I am interested, but may be someday....
Just because you don't want to customize your cell phone doesn't make Android a worse choice compared to iOS.

The customization is a perk for the user who wants it.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:27 AM   #139
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
I was being sarcastic.
Riiiight.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:41 AM   #140
DivotMaker
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Just because you don't want to customize your cell phone doesn't make Android a worse choice compared to iOS.

The customization is a perk for the user who wants it.

Where did I say Android is a worse choice? I DO NOT LIKE Android. And I have said I respect others who prefer Android....So why are you arguing about this?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:50 AM   #141
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I really don't get how anyone who can like or live with IOS dislike android. Android can be simplified as IOS on steroids. You can create the IOS experience on android but not the other way around.

Example:

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:59 AM   #142
DivotMaker
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
I really don't get how anyone who can like or live with IOS dislike android. Android can be simplified as IOS on steroids. You can create the IOS experience on android but not the other way around.
Nothing like disrespecting others opinions or choices. Why are you and others getting so uptight about this?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:07 AM   #143
Zero
Sass hole

Because they're insecure about their own opinions or think in black and white terms. Don't bother arguing with fandroids.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:08 AM   #144
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:

Example:

iOS's experience isn't just about the GUI.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:15 AM   #145
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Nothing like disrespecting others opinions or choices. Why are you and others getting so uptight about this?
I'm not I just don't understand the strong dislike. I can understand preferring iPhone feel physically that's about it.

Quote:
iOS's experience isn't just about the GUI.
You take out basic phone function and the UI and all that is left is the app store. I can say there are maybe 3 apps I wish were on android that are on IOS. Now I have found alternatives to those 3 apps, but 3 apps is not worth the other compromises I would have to make using an iphone. Most iphone users make some sort of compromise using their iphone and will never admit it. Most of these compromises don't exist on android. I like iphone hardware but the software is pure rubbish. I would prefer to be under one ecosystem instead of being in both but maybe the nexus 10 will solve that other half for me.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:42 AM   #146
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Where did I say Android is a worse choice? I DO NOT LIKE Android. And I have said I respect others who prefer Android....So why are you arguing about this?
Who the **** is arguing??

All I said was the extra customization doesn't take away from the Android experience, it merely adds to it. You don't have to customize in order to have a snappy, working OS -- but the option is there for the users who want even more.

And yeah, I'm a fandroid.. grow up. I didn't say anything against Apple -- funny how when you guys throw around the personal attacks it's all good.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:43 AM   #147
DivotMaker
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
I'm not I just don't understand the strong dislike. I can understand preferring iPhone feel physically that's about it.
I just did not like it at all when I had a GSII. I prefer iOS and the iPhone and that is all there is to it. I don't have time nor the energy to tinker with my phone, so Android is not for me. I fully understand iOS (plusses and minuses) and I am very comfortable with it. I am not sure why that comes as any surprise or why I am continued to be challenged about my opinions.

It seems this forum has become so anti-Apple/iOS/iPhone that anyone who likes those products comes under attack and called names, trolls, etc. I think it is ridiculous and is a huge turnoff to many people. A forum of this nature should be about freedom to express opinions about smartphones and users should not be blasted and ridiculed for choosing one smartphone over another. The attitude in here smacks of elitism if you don't own/promote Android/or anything other than iPhone/iOS. Users who choose iPhone/iOS products for the most part aren't trolls, fanboys, or any other goofy internet forum name and are entitled to their opinion without being called names and ridiculed. I welcome all criticisms of Apple (there are many), the iPhone, iOS, but leave the damn name-calling out of it because it makes the person doing the name-calling look ridiculous.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:45 AM   #148
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:

You take out basic phone function and the UI and all that is left is the app store. I can say there are maybe 3 apps I wish were on android that are on IOS. Now I have found alternatives to those 3 apps, but 3 apps is not worth the other compromises I would have to make using an iphone. Most iphone users make some sort of compromise using their iphone and will never admit it. Most of these compromises don't exist on android. I like iphone hardware but the software is pure rubbish. I would prefer to be under one ecosystem instead of being in both but maybe the nexus 10 will solve that other half for me.
It's not jut the apps either...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #149
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
It's not jut the apps either...
Do you want to elaborate or are you going to continue your one sentence replies that contribute zero to the thread?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #150
DivotMaker
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Who the **** is arguing??
You. You misquoted me as I never said Android was a "worse choice"....if you are going to quote me, get it right or don't quote me. And as far as personal attacks, I have seen you do your fair share of name-calling around here.....