Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Default Is the GS3 still worth getting?

I was planning on getting a new phone in February, but my Trophy which hasn't been quite right since getting wet is finally starting to go out on me.

I'm not crazy about the plastic feel of the phone but I suppose I can always get a case to remedy that. Anyway, the 8x and the Lumia 822 haven't impressed me and I have no interest in getting an iPhone again after having had a 4 so I'm thinking about going back to Android.

My question is, is it still worth getting the GS3? I like the look and the feel of the Razr HD better, but when playing with them side by side the GS3 is much smoother which is extremely important to me. The last android phone I've used was my Droid X. It's still my favorite piece of mobile hardware I've ever owned but 2.1/2.2 was so slow.

Since having 4.1 on my tablet however I've warmed back up to android as Jelly Bean finally brings a smoothness to Android that has never been there.

With 2 GB of RAM on-board I feel like it's about as "future proof" as you're going to get with a cell phone these days.

Just wondering if anyone thinks that it would be a bad idea to get the phone at this time.

Thanks
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

If you're able to wait to get it next year, might as well see what the GS4 brings.

GS3 for me was the best option at the time I purchased it 2 months ago but right now, if I were in the market, I'd probably wait and see. The only issues (minor) are pentile screen IQ, hit and miss battery life, and sound quality issue with some batches. Overall, it's a pretty great phone.

Right now, there isn't much competition for it imo. (no, we won't be talking about phablets)

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Love my GS3. I honestly can't see any image quality issues with the Pentile screen, probably because the pixels are so small. Even the tilting color shift thing is hard to pick up.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
If you're able to wait to get it next year, might as well see what the GS4 brings.

GS3 for me was the best option at the time I purchased it 2 months ago but right now, if I were in the market, I'd probably wait and see. The only issues (minor) are pentile screen IQ, hit and miss battery life, and sound quality issue with some batches. Overall, it's a pretty great phone.

Right now, there isn't much competition for it imo. (no, we won't be talking about phablets)
I use my phone as my alarm and it's caused me to miss class twice this week alone and I just can't deal with that. so I have 2 options, buying a phone on craigslist or just getting a GS3 which will be $50 at Best Buy this Sunday.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:06 PM   #5
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I use my phone as my alarm and it's caused me to miss class twice this week alone and I just can't deal with that. so I have 2 options, buying a phone on craigslist or just getting a GS3 which will be $50 at Best Buy this Sunday.

If that's the case, I'd just get the GS3 this sunday and be done with it. Why keep putting yourself through missed agendas and the day-to-day, is this thing gonna die aura.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
If that's the case, I'd just get the GS3 this sunday and be done with it. Why keep putting yourself through missed agendas and the day-to-day, is this thing gonna die aura.
That's where I'm leaning just wanted to get a feel to see if I was making a mistake.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:18 PM   #7
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

GS4 is around the corner. If you can live for now then wait. The htc butterfly is also on it's way out and so is the next HTC flagship M7 on the heels of the butterfly. It's pretty much assured that the s4 will come with a 1080p display as well and a higher mp camera. If your getting a US variant of the s3 then I would say wait.

Solution to the alarm thing buy an alarm clock.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Love my GS3. I honestly can't see any image quality issues with the Pentile screen, probably because the pixels are so small. Even the tilting color shift thing is hard to pick up.
Noticeable more pixelated compared to nonpentile screens to me. But overall, it's quite gorgeous.

Quote:
lol get a proper alarm for alarm purposes.

$50 is a decent price, on contract? They've been hitting $0 on contract here regularly.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

In the end its still a phone.

Outside of the OMG wow factor due to the quad cores, oodles of ram and ginourmous screen....think of what you need a phone for!

Then again you're either buying it outright (which means you wouldnt care what phone it is anyways, you'll just buy the new one when it comes out) or you're on contract (which means you'd be stuck with the phone for probably 2 years or so, and you're inner nerd might kick you in the balls for getting such inferior technology when you could have waited a couple months for that monstrously powerful thing that is absolutely overkill for anything you do.)
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Zero
Sass hole

With a 12-16 month release cycle, no matter what you buy, it's going to be outdated within a year. Functionality wise, it's hard to say how bad it'll affect this generation of Android phones in 2 years time. It'll probably last you that much before you really want to upgrade again anyhow...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:12 PM   #11
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

my dad and brother just got GS3's and love them.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Noticeable more pixelated compared to nonpentile screens to me. But overall, it's quite gorgeous.

lol get a proper alarm for alarm purposes.

$50 is a decent price, on contract? They've been hitting $0 on contract here regularly.
Yeah on contract
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:38 AM   #13
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I was planning on getting a new phone in February, but my Trophy which hasn't been quite right since getting wet is finally starting to go out on me.

I'm not crazy about the plastic feel of the phone but I suppose I can always get a case to remedy that. Anyway, the 8x and the Lumia 822 haven't impressed me and I have no interest in getting an iPhone again after having had a 4 so I'm thinking about going back to Android.

My question is, is it still worth getting the GS3? I like the look and the feel of the Razr HD better, but when playing with them side by side the GS3 is much smoother which is extremely important to me. The last android phone I've used was my Droid X. It's still my favorite piece of mobile hardware I've ever owned but 2.1/2.2 was so slow.

Since having 4.1 on my tablet however I've warmed back up to android as Jelly Bean finally brings a smoothness to Android that has never been there.

With 2 GB of RAM on-board I feel like it's about as "future proof" as you're going to get with a cell phone these days.

Just wondering if anyone thinks that it would be a bad idea to get the phone at this time.

Thanks

...iPhone 5.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:16 AM   #14
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
...iPhone 5.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:18 AM   #15
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
...iPhone 5.
don't be slawter,

Just get the GS3. If you lasted this long on a trophy, having the latest and greatest phone doesn't impact your day to day.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:20 AM   #16
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Get it. The phone is awesome
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
...iPhone 5.
No, had the 4, hate the OS
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:32 AM   #18
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

What about the Note 2? I know someone that bought one recently and it looks nice.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
...iPhone 5.
Hell no. Even with the superior ecosystem, I can't go back to iOS's limited environment... (now that my battery life issues are resolved)

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:27 PM   #20
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

How about the Nokia Lumina 920?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:37 PM   #21
Zero
Sass hole

920 has a lot of pros. Ecosystem is far too limited for me though. By the time it catches up (if ever), 920 will be outdated (so buy now and wait strategy is stupid imo).

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:15 PM   #22
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
What about the Note 2? I know someone that bought one recently and it looks nice.
Too big for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
How about the Nokia Lumina 920?
Verizon, and after sticking with WP7 since the beginning I'm ready for a change.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:25 PM   #23
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's not as awesome and simple to use with an amazing end user experience as an iPhone, but IF I went Android, it would be the S3.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:40 PM   #24
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
It's not as awesome and simple to use with an amazing end user experience as an iPhone, but IF I went Android, it would be the S3.
Your kidding me right. It just does everything the iphone can and more. If you call a glorified app drawer, with a horridly outdated phone ui navigation "amazing end user experience" you must still be in 2006. Unless your counting 30 apps to facebomb your photos. If you want to use an android like an iphone it's simple just never leave the app drawer.

Last edited by nycdarkness : Dec 14, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:48 PM   #25
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Just get the S3 on Sunday and tell us on Monday how happy you are.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:21 PM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
It amazes me you still tow this line to this very day, regardless of how absolutely false it is.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:27 PM   #27
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Not really the words I would use to describe an iPhone. Perhaps I might say "not as dull and simple to use with as barebones an end user experience as an iPhone".

Whatever arguments can be made in favor of iPhone 5, it is certainly neither awesome nor amazing.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:57 PM   #28
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Just get the S3 on Sunday and tell us on Monday how happy you are.
That's the plan!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:48 AM   #29
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Jellybean just dropped for the Verizon GS3, it's good stuff.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:11 AM   #30
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

I wish I had spent some time with a WP7 unit as I just got my 822 and dare to say I like it overall more than my Motorola. So far the only thing I dislike about wp8 is lack of a notepad that I can read without opening the app.

Far as the S3 goes nice phone, delicate screen. A friend dropped his from less than waist height onto I dare to say a hard surface and the screen spider webbed. After looking into the issue it's pretty common in the grand scheme of things. Meanwhile my Droid 2 took 2 years worth of beatings (including landing face first several times on concrete) and all the damage is cosmetic.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote