Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 10, 2013, 06:03 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Have it installed and running as well

I am liking peek and the glance background is nice too.

I am going to have to mess around with some of the new settings to figure it out. Still coming to grips with the new camera pro app.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:33 AM   #212
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The rumor is that GDR3 is being fast-tracked.

And apparently, the ability to span 3 medium tiles on a row, or 6 smaller tiles, is going to be coming to the 920/925/928/1020 phones. Not sure about the lower res devices.

http://www.wpcentral.com/changelog-g...rsweet-shimmer
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:35 PM   #213
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Hey Sazar, any idea how to RMA my lumia 920? Because I just had noticed a tiny cyan vertical on the screen two days ago. It looks a bit annoying when watch the movies on Netflix. It doesn't bother me at all, but I still might want to RMA it...so how do I RMA this phone?

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:40 PM   #214
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
Hey Sazar, any idea how to RMA my lumia 920? Because I just had noticed a tiny cyan vertical on the screen two days ago. It looks a bit annoying when watch the movies on Netflix. It doesn't bother me at all, but I still might want to RMA it...so how do I RMA this phone?
I have no idea, I would probably hit up Nokia and figure it out from there.

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/warranty-check/

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/product/lumia920/

Last edited by Sazar : Oct 11, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:39 PM   #215
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
The rumor is that GDR3 is being fast-tracked.

And apparently, the ability to span 3 medium tiles on a row, or 6 smaller tiles, is going to be coming to the 920/925/928/1020 phones. Not sure about the lower res devices.

http://www.wpcentral.com/changelog-g...rsweet-shimmer
Quote:
  • Custom tones for text or IM, voicemail, email and reminders
about DAMN TIME !! yes!!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:41 AM   #216
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Downloading gdr3 now.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:45 AM   #217
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
Downloading gdr3 now.

Hah, I was just about to post this

Information/instructions for those interested.

I cannot stress this enough. READ DETAILS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. It cannot be reverted.

http://www.wpcentral.com/download-pr...gdr3-right-now

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...c-038393741e96

-edit-

It's installing...

Last edited by Sazar : Oct 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:33 PM   #218
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Downloaded, installed, running fine. All my settings and apps were migrated.

Attachments to emails are a much simpler process now, multitasking more intuitive (especially for app closing) screen rotation lock available, some storage options and clean-up, setting different personal sounds for various alerts and all that.

But some of the other things mentioned in the final changelog are not visible (3 medium tiles for example).

The Drive setting is pretty sweet, haven't paired to any BT devices in my car so not sure how much play I'll get out of it. Right now, it seems most of the good things will roll out later.

Speed is about the same, but that was never an issue before. Haven't spent much time with the camera because it's shitty weather in Austin right now, and I only have gray shots I can take

If people have questions about GDR3 preview, post em. I am sure I'm not going to be the only one using it.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:28 PM   #219
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

I think I still need to RMA my phone first before I like to try out GDR3 preview.

EDIT: I just filled out the IMEI serial number and got this:

Quote:
Warranty verification is valid for the following 10 days. Read more about your phone's limited warranty. Note that there are some exceptions to warranty coverage such as liquid and physical damage.
What does mean by the following 10 days?

EDIT 2: Yeah, look like I'll go to AT&T store next week cause this week gonna be a very busy.

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210

Last edited by Treeckcold57 : Oct 14, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:49 PM   #220
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I think I still need to RMA my phone first before I like to try out GDR3 preview.

EDIT: I just filled out the IMEI serial number and got this:

What does mean by the following 10 days?

EDIT 2: Yeah, look like I'll go to AT&T store next week cause this week gonna be a very busy.
I have usually seen stuff like that when you have RMA's to make sure the product is addressed (returned or whatever) soon. Amazon and Dell both have a similar thing, but they do a much better job with support

Seems like your warranty is valid, just get it acted on ASAP
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:46 PM   #221
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I got to mess with a Nokia Lumia 920 this weekend. The smoothness was great, but the transition effects were obviously put in to make it seem smoother than it is. I didn't like the keyboard. Still didn't do much for me, I don't like the interface much.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:57 PM   #222
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I got to mess with a Nokia Lumia 920 this weekend. The smoothness was great, but the transition effects were obviously put in to make it seem smoother than it is. I didn't like the keyboard. Still didn't do much for me, I don't like the interface much.
It grows on you. The interface is a bit different, and when you use it for a while, it'll be very easy to navigate to and use apps, features, etc.

The smoothness is inherent because the 920 renders at 60 FPS constantly for the standard UI. The transitions were longer before (think almost as long as iOS7 crap) but have been shortened significantly. GDR3 seems to be even faster, but they could stand to be a bit shorter.

The keyboard is actually quite good (predictive text is better than most keyboards I have tried) but the button spacing could use work, I agree with you there.

Basically, I'd recommend spending a few days using it and figuring it out.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 06:01 PM   #223
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Closing apps and auto rotation lock is all I really need to have. Rest of the things are pretty fine with me. I also find GDR2 improved to reduce time for Wi-Fi re-connected to the router every time you start to use phone after standby.

Driving mode is a pretty neat to have one, too. But I think 8.1 is probably a biggest changes and more features.

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Old Oct 14, 2013, 06:29 PM   #224
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Closing apps and auto rotation lock is all I really need to have. Rest of the things are pretty fine with me. I also find GDR2 improved to reduce time for Wi-Fi re-connected to the router every time you start to use phone after standby.

Driving mode is a pretty neat to have one, too. But I think 8.1 is probably a biggest changes and more features.
Yep, definitely eagerly awaiting that. Hoping some of the 8.1 preview items come to WP8.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:41 AM   #225
GiG-DaDDy
Radeon R700

GiG-DaDDy is still being judged by the masses

Is there a good print app, that would allow you to print docs from the phone?
Through Bluetooth or Cloud that is reliable?
Thanks
GiG-DaDDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:22 PM   #226
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiG-DaDDy View Post
Is there a good print app, that would allow you to print docs from the phone?

Through Bluetooth or Cloud that is reliable?

Thanks
Yes, as far as I know. Is there a specific printer you are using? Or are you talking about a universal thing?

Here is an example.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...2-78e7d1fa76f8

Here is a more universal app.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...0-0f3ec0576576
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:40 AM   #227
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

A ton of things announced for

nokia and windows phone today. Too bad att added 6 months to my contract or I could actually get a new phone.

Old Oct 22, 2013, 01:25 PM   #228
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
A ton of things announced for

nokia and windows phone today. Too bad att added 6 months to my contract or I could actually get a new phone.

Nice.. RAW support coming to PureView devices.. Lytro-like app (Refocus) as well. More Glance Screen notifications. Screencasting..WebEx/GoToMeeting incoming.. the 1520.. wow ..
Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:44 PM   #229
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Dat 1520

Its pretty damn big though...
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:51 PM   #230
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Dat 1520

Its pretty damn big though...
and I thought 1020 was just released already...and now this one? That was quickly...

Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
EVGA SuperNova 650W
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:55 PM   #231
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
and I thought 1020 was just released already...and now this one? That was quickly...
The 1020's problem...it was pretty much a 920 with a 41mpx camera....(and the 925 and 928 were just 920's for other carriers)

The 1020 needed the beast power specs that the 1520 has but GDR3 just wasn't available when it was out.

the 1520's problem now...its might just be too damn big.

Still waiting for a Lumia that's like the size of the 1020 and/or has a 5" screen with the Snapdragon 800 internals like the 1520.......
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:52 AM   #232
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
The 1020's problem...it was pretty much a 920 with a 41mpx camera....(and the 925 and 928 were just 920's for other carriers)

The 1020 needed the beast power specs that the 1520 has but GDR3 just wasn't available when it was out.

the 1520's problem now...its might just be too damn big.

Still waiting for a Lumia that's like the size of the 1020 and/or has a 5" screen with the Snapdragon 800 internals like the 1520.......
I love the 1020.. however outside of the 41MP camera, I'd say the 920 is a better overall phone than the 1020. The 920 just feels better, better construction, better shape.. no need for a separate wireless cover. I'd LOVE if Nokia made an updated 920.. same exact body/size/shape with the 1520's 20mp camera and 2GB ram.. that would be a winner. I see several 920s a day, almost none are using covers/cases etc.. where as you cant go a block without seeing 30 iPhones, nearly all in cases that make them significantly thicker/heavier cumbersome than the 920.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:10 PM   #233
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

looking at the 1520

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/n...1520-hands-on/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhT56YjOto

but I see MY BOA's credit card app only works with ios or android, and square is the same

is there a good credit card app and reader for WP
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:13 PM   #234
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
looking at the 1520

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/22/n...1520-hands-on/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhT56YjOto

but I see MY BOA's credit card app only works with ios or android, and square is the same

is there a good credit card app and reader for WP
BOA has an app for WP8, I have it.

I also use PageOnce (Check), though it hasn't been updated on WP8 since it launched. There are plenty of other apps out there that will do the job for you as well when it comes to bills and management.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:18 PM   #235
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
BOA has an app for WP8, I have it.

I also use PageOnce (Check), though it hasn't been updated on WP8 since it launched. There are plenty of other apps out there that will do the job for you as well when it comes to bills and management.
the moble pay app ?
it does not show WP

https://mobilepay.bankofamerica.com/...epay/home.html
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:35 PM   #236
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
the moble pay app ?
it does not show WP

https://mobilepay.bankofamerica.com/...epay/home.html
Probably an issue with the BOA site and their dev.

Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:43 PM   #237
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Probably an issue with the BOA site and their dev.

I think that one is just Mobile Banking with Mobile Check Deposit

not merchant services with credit card processing for visa and mastercard elc.

merchant services is a whole different division of BOA
Old Oct 23, 2013, 07:02 PM   #238
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Default GDR3 being pushed out..

http://support.sprint.com/support/ar...onOnYourHtc8xt

Looks like the HTC 8XT is 1st to get the latest update, probably why they didnt go with Amber..
Old Oct 23, 2013, 07:18 PM   #239
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I think that one is just Mobile Banking with Mobile Check Deposit

not merchant services with credit card processing for visa and mastercard elc.

merchant services is a whole different division of BOA
Ah. In that case I am not sure what options there are
Old Oct 24, 2013, 06:01 PM   #240
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I've jumped up to GDR3. I'm probably done with WP8.

- Audio bug is still there. Sometimes an app will grab a hold of the audio and not let go. So for instance, watch something on Youtube or video or whatever, go into Pandora... it's stuck on the exact audio level that Youtube was on. This can also happen in reverse. Or, go from Spotify and into a podcast, the podcast volume is stuck on the Spotify volume level. When it's stuck, I can't change the volume. The ticker changes but the actual volume won't. I have to change the volume, back out and try to replay the podcast/song to get the volume to change to that one level. Too loud/quiet, have to redo it again at a different level.

- The dimmer is far too slow in changing brightness. Sometimes I'll turn the phone on at night and it stays on a brightness level like it's high noon in the desert and it'll sit there for upwards of 15 seconds.

- IE still doesn't display pages properly. The mobile variants, like CNET, NASCAR, ESPN, are just awful.

- Apps/games on WP is sometimes 2 or more dollars more expensive then their iOS/Android counterparts

- The glance screen feature will bug out and lock out the volume controls (independent issue from what I wrote above).

- Sometimes the lock screen won't respond. It will light up, acknowledging you just hit the power button or double tapped but it will sit there and not respond to you sliding the screen up. You have to relock and unlock the screen again to get it to respond.

- The new double tap to wake the phone up doesn't always work. It's like it thinks it's still in your pocket and just doesn't respond.

Hardware-wise, I found I need to stay away from phones that have a rocker-style volume control. I can't feel that through my workout pants and will normally hit the middle of the button. The 920 is just heavy enough for it detach itself from the audio jack. There's so much bezel on it, I'm getting screen envy from the others. Need something smaller and/or much less bezel, a la the Moto X or the Z1 mini, if it comes stateside.