Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 3, 2013, 05:51 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I tried but I just couldn't make it any longer. This platform is years behind the big guys. Ended up getting a new in box droid DNA for $200 on Craigslist and it's freaking epic.
Honestly, it's your money and your device, go with whatever you feel most comfortable with

The DNA is indeed an excellent device. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Seriously, the MS/Zune tile is a non-starter, always has been.
It's intuitive, easy to use and the design language is prevalent across consoles, client systems and smart phones. I don't see why this is a bad idea. I keep talking about convergence. Everyone is looking to do it. Google, Microsoft and Ubuntu have the most cohesive designs at this point, Microsoft's is available to the widest audience, has the most productivity, and has the best overall scalability across platforms.

It isn't perfect, but it's the best of the current lot by leaps and bounds.

Quote:
Trust me, Apple's design will be nothing close to Microsoft's.
It doesn't have to be close. The fact that they are borrowing design elements speaks volumes. A number of other items that have been borrowed from other OS's. There is nothing inherently wrong with this. Apple doesn't HAVE to do things only a specific way. They have a customer to cater to, and that customer has more varied choices (and superior OS's) available to them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
No, Bing is ****. Search results aren't as good as google. Local searches for Toronto are garbage.
Fair point. Bing isn't great and I did go ahead and change the IE default search engine as soon as I could. But it does a decent job and the functionality from the search button is actually quite awesome (at least here in the US). And things are supposed to shake up with the next update from what I have read.

Quote:
Plenty of others that aren't available on WP.
No, but for a 6/7 month old OS, the app quality and availability is pretty solid. And as the market share climbs, things will only get better:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/03/k...phone-q1-2013/

Quote:
Good for you, not good enough for people with many frequently used apps. A scrollable list is not preferable to folders. You have limited organizational options in WP, can't change launchers, can't group items in app drawer, can't sort by category instead of name, etc etc. That's all there is to it.
A scrollable list is well and good. There will be a search function soon, there are supposed to other organizational items soon as well. Note that many apps are automatically integrated into certain areas. For example, music apps are all accessible from the Xbox Music app. Same with games, all accessible via Xbox Games. You don't need a folder because all are consolidated there.

I would like for their to be a better organizational setup for a few other items, categorization as you say, but honestly, with the tiles, I personally haven't found a need for that. And using the letters, instead of simply scrolling, gives me plenty of control over what I can view.

I agree folders, or some semblance of organization, would be great. It isn't there right now and coming from folders on iOS, I don't miss it one bit. I have the ability to arrange my screen how I see fit, and I can see information on live tiles. It saves plenty of time, and reduces my need to keep launching apps all over the place.

So yes, a negative definitely, but no way near as bad as you are describing it, and in fact many elements of the implementation should be adopted by other OS's. Android is probably the best at the moment all around.

Quote:
The major big apps are fairly well done but I've noticed some annoyances in the porting. WP apps are second last in priority for app developers to port and WP is rarely (if ever) the lead platform.
Market share growing will change things. I actually blame Microsoft for dividing it's attention all over (WP8, XB One, Win 8.1, Office 365), but again, not as bad as I would have thought.

Quote:
WP is fine if you've never had a smartphone before or ever used the other platforms. If you switch to WP from them, you'll see what maverick means.
I disagree. The phone and the ecosystem work perfectly fine. If you are moving over and there are a few select apps that are ONLY available on one or another OS, there will be growing pains. But you are only focusing on the negatives and using that as the point of attack.

There are plenty of positives about the OS and the devices that you completely ignore, and points that address many of the concerns you raised.

I keep repeating that yes, WP8 is not a completely baked setup yet. However, it keeps growing and as more and more users pick it up (and given the backend ecosystem), it will prosper.

The past couple of months have seen tier 1 launch after tier 1 launch. I don't expect that to slow down.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 07:17 PM   #122
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
There are plenty of positives about the OS and the devices that you completely ignore, and points that address many of the concerns you raised.
The original question was, "what can't I do with my 920". This is why I do not mention WP's strengths - I wasn't providing a holistic analysis of the OS. Your counterpoints amount to saying, "it's broken but just use it anyway until it gets fixed". I don't think it's an acceptable answer.

For what it's worth, I rather enjoyed using a 920. But as you said, it's not a fully baked OS. And working around the deficiencies doesn't make it any less incomplete.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 07:59 PM   #123
crash override
Banned

crash override is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
No, Bing is ****. Search results aren't as good as google. Local searches for Toronto are garbage.

Plenty of others that aren't available on WP.

Good for you, not good enough for people with many frequently used apps. A scrollable list is not preferable to folders. You have limited organizational options in WP, can't change launchers, can't group items in app drawer, can't sort by category instead of name, etc etc. That's all there is to it.

The major big apps are fairly well done but I've noticed some annoyances in the porting. WP apps are second last in priority for app developers to port and WP is rarely (if ever) the lead platform.

WP is fine if you've never had a smartphone before or ever used the other platforms. If you switch to WP from them, you'll see what maverick means.
Huh. I use local search all the time and it's just fine...for shopping, eating, points of interest, etc.

Oh I get it with the Premium Games bit. You say there aren't any, basically, and when I point some out you change tactics.

Huh...sorry, but it makes the rest of your post not worth responding to if you can't at least be fair with your attempts.

Oh other than one point. I've owned various smartphones/pda's for almost 15 years now. I know a lot about various mobile platforms...and I seem to be just happy with Windows Phone...

Never speak for everyone since it only makes you look less intelligent than I know you are. That's not pointed just at you, but at everyone. Speaking for every single person is never a good idea since there is always someone that you don't speak for.

Last edited by crash override : Jun 3, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
crash override is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:17 PM   #124
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Tell me where I said there are NO premium games. No one here is changing arguments except the guy who's making it personal.

Bing search might work in low population areas like Renton, but it's not refined enough apparently for a dense city like Toronto. Maybe it's an American thing, who knows. Either way, it's crap.

And if you've used other smartphones then you either are oblivious or know exactly what mav and I are talking about but choose to deny it due to personal bias. You can't objectively compare WP to other platforms and say it's just as robust. It's getting close but it's not the same by a long stretch.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:28 PM   #125
crash override
Banned

Quote:
Tell me where I said there are NO premium games. No one here is changing arguments except the guy who's making it personal.

Bing search might work in low population areas like Renton, but it's not refined enough apparently for a dense city like Toronto. Maybe it's an American thing, who knows. Either way, it's crap.

And if you've used other smartphones then you either are oblivious or know exactly what mav and I are talking about but choose to deny it due to personal bias. You can't objectively compare WP to other platforms and say it's just as robust. It's getting close but it's not the same by a long stretch.
Yeah living in Renton right next to Seattle is such a low population area. I mean the Metro area around here only has about 3 million people...so it's pretty tiny. :P

I'm guessing you didn't realize that Renton is part of the Seattle Metro area, and sits right by Seattle, Bellevue, and Redmond...

Also when you point out premium games being something that the platform doesn't have, and I point out that it does, and you change your point? Yes that is changing tactics. I can point out premium games on Windows Phone (and already did actually) that the other platforms don't have.

Why is it that people just cannot listen to me with an open mind?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:34 PM   #126
Zero
Sass hole

The irony is killing me

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:35 PM   #127
crash override
Banned

Quote:
The irony is killing me
Only if you don't understand what irony actually is. There's nothing ironic in either of our statements.

You're the one that's trying to pump out stuff that's not true and then trying to change your point when I call it out.

If you don't like people calling you out then perhaps you should stick to the facts.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:37 PM   #128
Zero
Sass hole

That's ironic coming from a guy who uses straw men.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:38 PM   #129
crash override
Banned

Quote:
That's ironic coming from a guy who uses straw men.
Yet another post that is about irony from someone who doesn't understand irony at all.

Also show me a single straw man in any of my posts...just one.

I'll be waiting...
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:39 PM   #130
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
The original question was, "what can't I do with my 920". This is why I do not mention WP's strengths - I wasn't providing a holistic analysis of the OS. Your counterpoints amount to saying, "it's broken but just use it anyway until it gets fixed". I don't think it's an acceptable answer.
It depends Zero. All you ever do is complain about the negatives. I never hear you say anything about the positives. When you look at something from only one perspective and your net goal is to look at negatives, you will never find acceptable answers.

I am saying there are flaws, but there are flaws in every single OS out there for mobile. If you wish to look at the flaws in WP8 with a magnifying glass, feel free to do so, but you will have to apply the same scrutiny to other OS's, which you do not.

Quote:
For what it's worth, I rather enjoyed using a 920. But as you said, it's not a fully baked OS. And working around the deficiencies doesn't make it any less incomplete.
As I pointed out, you have to work around the deficiencies in every OS, and every phone, on the market. Not a single product is "complete".

By default, you are always compromising.

As an aside in a thread where some of us are trying to help other WP8 users with their devices, if you have nothing to contribute besides repeating the same stuff about how awful it is, fine, I think you have made yourself heard loud and clear.

Let those of us who are looking to help continue to do so. There are plenty of threads out there where you can complain about <insert OS here> and <insert phone hardware here>.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:40 PM   #131
Zero
Sass hole

Educate yourself, you've devolved the argument into making idiotic jabs at me because you feel your platform of choice is threatened. Welcome to my ignore list.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:40 PM   #132
crash override
Banned

Quote:
It depends Zero. All you ever do is complain about the negatives. I never hear you say anything about the positives. When you look at something from only one perspective and your net goal is to look at negatives, you will never find acceptable answers.

I am saying there are flaws, but there are flaws in every single OS out there for mobile. If you wish to look at the flaws in WP8 with a magnifying glass, feel free to do so, but you will have to apply the same scrutiny to other OS's, which you do not.

As I pointed out, you have to work around the deficiencies in every OS, and every phone, on the market. Not a single product is "complete".

By default, you are always compromising. If, in a thread where some of us are trying to help other WP8 users with their devices, you have nothing to contribute besides repeating the same stuff about how awful it is, fine, I think you have made yourself heard loud and clear.

Let those of us who are looking to help continue to do so. There are plenty of threads out there where you can complain about <insert OS here> and <insert phone hardware here>.

Bingo.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:41 PM   #133
crash override
Banned

Quote:
Educate yourself, you've devolved the argument into making idiotic jabs at me because you feel your platform of choice is threatened. Welcome to my ignore list.
I'm so saddened by that...

Folks...this is what happens when you argue with me and I call you out and you rage quit. I have 0 issues humiliating someone if they can't figure out how to even debate in an honest manner.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:44 PM   #134
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:

Read my other posts again. i admit there are plenty of issues with all platforms. I even made several posts praising the 920 recently (remember all the fandroid jumping down my throat for saying the 920 had amazing battery life?).

Quote:
It's not a complaint, and if you were really trying to be helpful, you'd objectively admit to the drawbacks of your platform/device (as well as its strengths). I like Android A LOT, but you don't see me telling everyone it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm willing to say it has problems and accept that workarounds are not enough for some people, are you willing to do the same about your platform?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:54 PM   #135
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Read my other posts again. i admit there are plenty of issues with all platforms. I even made several posts praising the 920 recently (remember all the fandroid jumping down my throat for saying the 920 had amazing battery life?).
I'm sorry, the negative quotient of comments you consistently have against WP8 exceeds that of FX and Raz put together so it's possible I may have overlooked your praise

Don't sweat it.

Quote:
It's not a complaint, and if you were really trying to be helpful, you'd objectively admit to the drawbacks of your platform/device (as well as its strengths).
I have done so in plenty of threads.

This thread was created by me not for people to crap on, but rather to help those who are moving to a NEW platform, and provide them with tips and tricks (see my original post).

Some of the applications that I posted about, I explained that there were issues. I have done my best to also preemptively address concerns, such as battery life issues, by helping folks out.

If I wanted to have a thread doing nothing but bitching about WP8, I can easily do that as well, but that wasn't the intention here.

Perhaps your expectations are misguided in a HELP thread? Not my problem that you want me to be an apologist or something.

Quote:
I like Android A LOT, but you don't see me telling everyone it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm willing to say it has problems and accept that workarounds are not enough for some people, are you willing to do the same about your platform?
If there is a thread about Android tips and tricks, feel free to bash on the OS all day long and talk about nothing but the negatives and completely derail the conversation. At your convenience of course.

And then the OP can spend pages and pages going back and forth with you and Raz, and others in order to try and bring the conversation back to WP8 and help out the users who have genuine questions, or who may appreciate advice about new apps and so forth.

There are other threads, feel free to thrash it out there.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:56 PM   #136
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

New Gmail app (3'rd party) has been released. Apparently it is based off of the code for the iOS version, so supposed to be relatively decently featured.

There is a free and paid version.

http://www.wpcentral.com/gmail-app-i...-windows-phone

Developer EcoMerc has made a nifty Gmail app for Windows Phone, appropriately called ‘Gmail’. What makes this app unique is it’s reportedly based off of “…the exact same codebase as the official Gmail for iPhone/iPad”, meaning this will feel kind of like a true app for Windows Phone users.

Indeed the app Tile is very bold and dare we say, fits in nicely with our Start screen. Launching the app there is a small delay as the device pulls in data (about 5-7 seconds for us), but once loaded it acts like you’re in a full-fledged Gmail client, including access to labels, settings, archiving, mute and report spam, to name a few. It's quite impressive.

The app itself is completely free with only a single ad in the About page, meaning you never really see it. What’s really clever is for $0.99 you can remove that one ad and get push notifications—now that is something we haven’t seen before.

We’re not going to pull punches here: if you need Gmail on your Windows Phone, including all of Google’s more advanced management tools, then this app is all you need. It’s been working well on our end during testing and is laid out quite nicely.

Give it a shot (free version is free ) and hopefully we will see a proper 3'rd party app from Google

Old Jun 3, 2013, 08:59 PM   #137
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

New OFFICIAL Adobe app also launched for reading .pdf's on your WP8.

Currently, there are both the Microsoft .pdf reader, and 3'rd party readers. Both are kind of pants. This one seems to be the real deal and it's fast and loads up all the .pdf's I could throw at it so far

http://www.wpcentral.com/official-ad...-latest-update
Old Jun 3, 2013, 09:14 PM   #138
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
I'm sorry, the negative quotient of comments you consistently have against WP8 exceeds that of FX and Raz put together so it's possible I may have overlooked your praise
Bullshit. I've given WP a fair chance since its launch. Look through my post history and you'll find me praising the smoothness of WP7, its ability to run so on a single core phone, and (at the time) innovative design. I used a WP device for over a year as my daily driver and the only thing I complained about was the lack of apps. I've stated the strength of 920 MANY times residing in its camera (post firmware update) and when I got to own for a few weeks later on, in its amazing battery life and/or power management.

Lumping me into the same category of senseless platform fanaticism as Raz and FX only shows you've made up some fantasy about me simply because I don't think WP is perfect.

Quote:
This thread was created by me not for people to crap on, but rather to help those who are moving to a NEW platform, and provide them with tips and tricks (see my original post).
By all means, continue to do so. daphoenix posed a question regarding the limitations of WP so I replied. You don't think that info would be helpful to someone considering the move to a new platform? Of course not, because you'd rather hide the facts that paint your platform of choice in a bad light.

Quote:
If there is a thread about Android tips and tricks, feel free to bash on the OS all day long and talk about nothing but the negatives and completely derail the conversation. At your convenience of course.
Yeah because that doesn't happen ever.

I get what you're saying though, and because I'm not trying to be a complete dick, I agree, let's stick to tips and tricks and avoid cross-platform comparisons.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 3, 2013, 09:20 PM   #139
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

For those of you on Reddit, feel free to check out this sub-reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsPhone

I check in there once in a while, but plenty of developers actually chime in from time to time, and while it's not quite as busy as some other sub-reddits, there is always decent information. You'll get pro's and con's of different phones (as always, pinch of salt please, note everything is as perfect as may be implied by some, or as bad as implied by others).

The BaconIt creator resides there and is quite easy to get a hold of if you have issues
Old Jun 3, 2013, 09:45 PM   #140
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The way you can group contacts in the people hub really needs to be implemented for the app list. That could go along way to taking care of one drawback.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 09:57 PM   #141
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
The way you can group contacts in the people hub really needs to be implemented for the app list. That could go along way to taking care of one drawback.
Are you talking about tagging each application with the appropriate flags to allow filtering?

I think that's one way to do it

The Windows 8 approach of selecting a grouping and then tagging them also works, though I am not sure how it could be implemented on a smaller screen properly.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:07 PM   #142
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Videocard

Quote:
Are you talking about tagging each application with the appropriate flags to allow filtering?

I think that's one way to do it

The Windows 8 approach of selecting a grouping and then tagging them also works, though I am not sure how it could be implemented on a smaller screen properly.
im saying they should just implement app grouping the exact same way as they handle contacts grouping. create new group, add apps to the group and it becomes a name on the top of the app list that you can long press to allow pin to start.
edit: I was just adding more people to one of my groups and noticed they capped it at 20 contacts...really?
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense

Last edited by Sasquach : Jun 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:08 PM   #143
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Anyone got some tips about managing podcasts on WP8? WP7 worked so well when paired with Zune. WP8, to say the least has been a huge disappointment to me concerning podcats (my #1 activity with my phone). I've scoured the internet for working solutions, but mostly just run into other people also expressing their disappointment with very little solutions provided.

A brief description of the problem (there are many, but one that affects me mostly):
When you subscribe to a podcast, you can chose to "Get Oldest" or "Get Newest" and then you pick the number of episodes you want on your machine. The problem is that one podcast I listen to has over 300 episodes listed. I want to listen to them in order. So I would normally choose "Get Oldest" as my option. The problem is that there is no way to mark that I've already listened to 290 of the 300 episodes without first downloading each episode first and then marking it as "listened to". So to get my position caught up, it would take days of downloading each episode, just mark it off the list. If I chose "Get Newest", then if I don't listen to them fast enough and a new episode is released, an older episode I may have not finished yet gets removed with no way to get it back easily.

The closest working solution so far has been to use Zune to manage podcasts on the desktop and to the use the WP8 desktop app to sync them. But this involves a great deal of manual process in clearing up old podcasts and what not.

So if anyone runs across a good podcast management solution, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:00 PM   #144
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Anyone got some tips about managing podcasts on WP8? WP7 worked so well when paired with Zune. WP8, to say the least has been a huge disappointment to me concerning podcats (my #1 activity with my phone). I've scoured the internet for working solutions, but mostly just run into other people also expressing their disappointment with very little solutions provided.

A brief description of the problem (there are many, but one that affects me mostly):
When you subscribe to a podcast, you can chose to "Get Oldest" or "Get Newest" and then you pick the number of episodes you want on your machine. The problem is that one podcast I listen to has over 300 episodes listed. I want to listen to them in order. So I would normally choose "Get Oldest" as my option. The problem is that there is no way to mark that I've already listened to 290 of the 300 episodes without first downloading each episode first and then marking it as "listened to". So to get my position caught up, it would take days of downloading each episode, just mark it off the list. If I chose "Get Newest", then if I don't listen to them fast enough and a new episode is released, an older episode I may have not finished yet gets removed with no way to get it back easily.

The closest working solution so far has been to use Zune to manage podcasts on the desktop and to the use the WP8 desktop app to sync them. But this involves a great deal of manual process in clearing up old podcasts and what not.

So if anyone runs across a good podcast management solution, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Have you tried working through the Xbox Music player app? I have my Nokia Music app and Xbox music app to get my podcasts for me and I can organize them relatively well.

The controls in the settings aren't amazing, but it'll give you a bit of leverage and sorting.

Other than that, unfortunately I really dunno. You might want to post in the subreddit I posted above
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:12 PM   #145
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

I may be the odd man out here but I am not huge fan of the Xbox music player. Setting up playlists is a huge pain in the ass, which was soured by something my fault anyway. I tried using a card formatted for Android rather than WP and that was just unhealthy. After reformatting things became smoother but I need to spend more time playing with it still.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:45 PM   #146
crash override
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
I may be the odd man out here but I am not huge fan of the Xbox music player. Setting up playlists is a huge pain in the ass, which was soured by something my fault anyway. I tried using a card formatted for Android rather than WP and that was just unhealthy. After reformatting things became smoother but I need to spend more time playing with it still.
I was a fan of the setup on the WP7 devices and of the Zune desktop software. I'm so far not really sold on the Xbox Music apps either...

Which is a shame because I've been a Zune user for the last 7 years...and have even had a Zune Pass for nearly that long...so long, in fact, that I am still grandfathered into the 10 tracks per month deal.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:05 PM   #147
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

What major everyday apps is WP8 missing now? All I can think of is Instagram and WatchESPN.

Big ones I can think of that are on WP8 now are Netflix, Hulu Plus, Facebook, Twitter, Sports Apps, XBLA releases, Games (Temple Run, Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies, Halo, Square Enix), Whatsapp, Banking Apps, Google Maps and YouTube (some of us).

What's an everyday app that "regular" people use that isn't on this platform now? I mean all it's missing is.... people.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:27 PM   #148
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
What major everyday apps is WP8 missing now? All I can think of is Instagram and WatchESPN.

Big ones I can think of that are on WP8 now are Netflix, Hulu Plus, Facebook, Twitter, Sports Apps, XBLA releases, Games (Temple Run, Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies, Halo, Square Enix), Whatsapp, Banking Apps, Google Maps and YouTube (some of us).

What's an everyday app that "regular" people use that isn't on this platform now? I mean all it's missing is.... people.
Amazon Cloud Player is still missing. There are a couple of other smaller ones (native Nest, native PageOnce), but the majority are present now and most official ones will be present soon enough.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:43 PM   #149
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

I forgot to post here, but I think I saw that wpcentral website mentioned GDR2 update is released for Nokia lumia models. GDR3 update is coming in months too. I will flash to my 920 to update latest version tomorrow if I have time.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:17 AM   #150
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I'll never understand why people use Instagram or want it so much - all I see is people posting their ****ing "look at mah ass and tits" pics there. *shrug* Oh well.

Anyway, Nokia updated their Extras package and now offers SMS/Call blocking, available from: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...3-fc517345a3c0
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote