Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:23 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
That's what is hurting MS. Not enough resources being put into the platform. I don't understand their marketing either. Why would I care if Jessica Alba or Gwen Stefani uses Windows 8? Am I to believe this is marketed to women? MS has never been good at marketing, but they need a different approach. I see more Surface dancing commercials than I do for their phone. Then again, I still think the whole Windows 8 OS is just plain bizarre.
The also had commercials featuring men. I thought they did a good job of showing how the phone works for all kinds of people.

I have also noticed an increase of good apps and games lately. Its a million times better than WP7 was. I have been around from the beginning(surround,titan,l900 and now the 920) and am happier with my choice each day.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:06 PM   #32
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

I've got the best tip; don't buy one. WP8 phone set to end summer 2014.
http://wmpoweruser.com/mainstream-su...eptember-2014/

If WP8 will upgrade to 9, shouldn't be a problem however.

edit: Thanks for the info Sazar.

Last edited by FiggyG : Mar 17, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:50 PM   #33
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyG View Post
I've got the best tip; don't buy one. WP8 phone set to end summer 2014.
http://wmpoweruser.com/mainstream-su...eptember-2014/

If WP8 will upgrade to 9, shouldn't be a problem however.
It's a support cycle. From the way they described it, each revision will have an 18 month cycle, so 8.0, 18 months, 8.x, 18 months and so on with regards to OS updates.

Here is the leaked slide that purports to explain things, somewhat.

To give you an idea of what I am talking about:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...ilter=FilterNO

Code:
Windows Phone 7.8 2/9/2013	 9/9/2014
Windows Phone 8	12/14/2012	 7/8/2014
The version numbers and update paths show what I am talking about. No need to spread FUD

Last edited by Sazar : Mar 17, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:01 PM   #34
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
It's a support cycle. From the way they described it, each revision will have an 18 month cycle, so 8.0, 18 months, 8.1, 18 months and so on.

Not sure if the next revision will be called 8.1 though. And all current WP8 phones will be upgrade-able to 9 from what I have seen.

Seems like they've left it very open to technicality. AFAIK, the two general release cycle updates for this year will be build revisions, not version updates. If "Blue" is a version update, that would bring us to 8.1 and build revisions from there for 18 months. Which at that point, would be MSFT supporting the first batch of WP8 devices for 2.5 years. That's plenty.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:02 PM   #35
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Seems like they've left it very open to technicality. AFAIK, the two general release cycle updates for this year will be build revisions, not version updates. If "Blue" is a version update, that would bring us to 8.1 and build revisions from there for 18 months. Which at that point, would be MSFT supporting the first batch of WP8 devices for 2.5 years. That's plenty.
Re-read, I updated my post. I removed reference to WP9 because that part is speculation. There may not be a Windows Phone 9, it may just reside under Windows Blue updates.

As you can see, WP7 updates are going to be good through at least the 2014 year end period.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:13 PM   #36
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Excellent posts Sazar.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:38 PM   #37
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Re-read, I updated my post. I removed reference to WP9 because that part is speculation. There may not be a Windows Phone 9, it may just reside under Windows Blue updates.

As you can see, WP7 updates are going to be good through at least the 2014 year end period.

Gotcha
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:44 AM   #38
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Pandora app now available. Apparently it's the premium version for free till the end of the year.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:24 AM   #39
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Pandora app now available. Apparently it's the premium version for free till the end of the year.
An app that should have been available at launch. MS needs to do better than this.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:31 AM   #40
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
An app that should have been available at launch. MS needs to do better than this.
They control Pandora's development team?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:18 PM   #41
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
they apparently have control over every app in development....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:48 PM   #42
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Does it matter. MS should know the big players and court them to get on the ball.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #43
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
they apparently have control over every app in development....
Really? Wow, didn't know Microsoft owns every company that develops apps for them and can independently adjust their due dates for apps.

Quote:
Does it matter. MS should know the big players and court them to get on the ball.

Depends, do you want to port your app or create a new one. They decided to create a new one.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:15 PM   #44
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Whos fault is it if

1.) The userbase is small
2.) The revenue returns may not be worth it

you want to entice a developer to jump into a chicken and egg scenario and be the egg when they're more likely wanting to be the chicken. you think they'll just jump on the opportunaty and say HELL YEAH???
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:38 PM   #45
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I agree that it SHOULD have been. But, MS doesn't make that app. All the tools and dev kits are already out there. There were numerous 3'rd party Pandora apps, most with their own subscription or ads. It was incumbent on Pandora to speed up the development so as not to loose too much revenue.

As of right now, this app is being downloaded like gangbusters, as it should be. It runs brilliantly and has a cleaner, simpler and more user friendly interface than the iPhone and Android versions. It needs a bit more tweaking for some things, such as lyrics, but it works much better than the 3'rd party apps.

The audio is definitely cleaner for me, but most likely this is a result of the Pandora One experience (I hope that my subscription gets added to the free period )
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:21 PM   #46
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Number of updates released today include 920 firmware update to improve storage management and camera
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:00 PM   #47
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewilde View Post
Basically, you have to update always the calendar apps for window 8 this is consider for adding and giving you more function. window 8 user consider for changes to the app, even though, this window is dramatic but still making up especially to start menu into the start screen. Despite for some some clashing this new window is powerful, and consider as quickly and convenient.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:44 PM   #48
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Yeah the bots (if it is one) are getting dumber or just getting more trollier.

They're starting to make not sense much.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:53 AM   #49
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

I am not sure if anyone here uses the OneNote app, but it's pretty much the same as the one on your computer (on a smaller screen).

The best part is, type a note on your account on any system, and it'll show up on your phone

I put together shopping lists on my computer, or add contact information or look up information on my phone on a regular basis and its all in the cloud, stored on my OneNote account

The one issue appears to be that certain information created on your computer cannot be manually deleted from your phone. You can easily delete it from your computer though. And you can still mark tasks for completion.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:50 PM   #50
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I am not sure if anyone here uses the OneNote app, but it's pretty much the same as the one on your computer (on a smaller screen).

The best part is, type a note on your account on any system, and it'll show up on your phone

I put together shopping lists on my computer, or add contact information or look up information on my phone on a regular basis and its all in the cloud, stored on my OneNote account

The one issue appears to be that certain information created on your computer cannot be manually deleted from your phone. You can easily delete it from your computer though. And you can still mark tasks for completion.
It's even more useful (to me at least) if you have a win8 tablet with a stylus: use the tablet to take notes (the metro onenote is very well designed, and free, and a wacom stylus is awesome), then be able to view and annotate/add the handwritten notes as entered on the phone. It's supremely useful if you like handwriting notes, and the major benefit of the surface pro imo.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:56 AM   #51
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Has anyone upgraded from a WP7 device to a WP8 device? I spent the longest hands on time yesterday that I've gotten to spend with one (30 minutes on a buddies 920) and I've come away with the exact same conclusion I had at the launch. WP8 isn't as smooth as WP7 was. It's significantly faster, but I don't remember my Trophy (1GHz snapdragon, 576MB RAM) ever dropping frames when moving through the OS or scrolling up and down, and his 920 did it rather often.

It wasn't as bad as pre 4.1 android stuttering but it was there, felt like going from 60fps to 20-30 for a split second then back up. This was driving me crazy. I was really considering going back to windows phone if this Lumia 928 ends up coming to Verizon soon, but this has me second guessing it.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:10 PM   #52
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Has anyone upgraded from a WP7 device to a WP8 device? I spent the longest hands on time yesterday that I've gotten to spend with one (30 minutes on a buddies 920) and I've come away with the exact same conclusion I had at the launch. WP8 isn't as smooth as WP7 was. It's significantly faster, but I don't remember my Trophy (1GHz snapdragon, 576MB RAM) ever dropping frames when moving through the OS or scrolling up and down, and his 920 did it rather often.

It wasn't as bad as pre 4.1 android stuttering but it was there, felt like going from 60fps to 20-30 for a split second then back up. This was driving me crazy. I was really considering going back to windows phone if this Lumia 928 ends up coming to Verizon soon, but this has me second guessing it.
I went up to the local microsoft store and played around with the demo 920's and they ran WAY better. So maybe his phone needed a reboot or he has some app that's misbehaving. The 8x's however all ran the same way, feeling like they were dropping frames. Buddy of mine with a Lumia 710 came up and agreed. His phone was slower, but smoother.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:50 PM   #53
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Power saving mode could be on. My daily driver was a WP7 phone for a year and I had the chance to play with the 920 extensively recently. The 920 seems just as smooth as the WP7 phone and loads faster in some scenarios (mostly with the browser and apps). Have not seen dropped frames on the 920.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:02 PM   #54
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Power saving mode could be on. My daily driver was a WP7 phone for a year and I had the chance to play with the 920 extensively recently. The 920 seems just as smooth as the WP7 phone and loads faster in some scenarios (mostly with the browser and apps). Have not seen dropped frames on the 920.
The 920 also has the Puremotion, or whatever they call it, screen setup whereby the image you see is constantly rendered at 60fps.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2012/11/16/...stest-display/

According to Nokia’s Senior Technology Manager, Jussi Ropo, rendering needs to happen at a stable 60fps in order to get rid of jaggedness in moving content. It’s also important to consider how fast an LCD can change from one color to another. In Ropo’s own words:

“First, when you measure 60fps it means 16.7ms – you have a new image coming every 16.7ms on the display. It is intuitive to think that when your LCD response or transition time is longer than this one frame period then you will actually get quite a lot of blur. This is because your liquid crystal is still trying to get the previous value at the same time as it has to start turning again for the next frame.”

In order to provide a faster, crisper and less blurry screen experience, Nokia boosted the voltage for each LCD pixel, dropping the response time down from the usual 16.7ms to an impressive 9ms. According to Nokia, the complete transition speeds are around 23ms.

I am not sure how to describe this other than to say, with my iPhone's, they were smooth but not as buttery smooth as the 920. You have to play with the display to understand it. It's the only thing that may make it "feel" smoother than the 8x and other devices.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:22 PM   #55
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Here is a nice article about how to get the most out of your voice commands

http://www.wpcentral.com/quick-tip-v...indows-phone-8

Most users will likely know the basics, but this helps for those still feeling their way around.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:32 PM   #56
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Hulu Plus app released.

Reading on Engadget that a big-ish update to WP8 is coming in June sometime. Testing is currently happening this month.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:08 PM   #57
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Hulu Plus app released.

Reading on Engadget that a big-ish update to WP8 is coming in June sometime. Testing is currently happening this month.
Yep, app updates, apps and a number of features and improvements have been coming along at a regular click. Quite happy at the moment.

And Nokia has done an excellent job of supporting their app inventory. Drive is about to be released out of Beta and expected to include traffic info. Before folks trash it for not including traffic info currently, when you compare Nokia drive with Google Maps side by side, it actually acquits itself very well and is superior in some regards.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:35 PM   #58
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Hulu Plus app released.

Im guessing its the GDR2 release?

Is that the one that brings quad core support, and 1080p or is that GDR3 for end of the year?
Old May 7, 2013, 02:26 PM   #59
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Im guessing its the GDR2 release?

Is that the one that brings quad core support, and 1080p or is that GDR3 for end of the year?
I'd imagine that it is. Rumor has it that at the build conference, Microsoft is going to be displaying Windows 8 tablets at the 7" level.

Also, YouTube app updated/released or something today. Very impressive! Love the feature where you can pin any video you want to your start screen, so you can launch straight to video without loading/searching/logging into anything.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:42 PM   #60
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I'd imagine that it is. Rumor has it that at the build conference, Microsoft is going to be displaying Windows 8 tablets at the 7" level.

Also, YouTube app updated/released or something today. Very impressive! Love the feature where you can pin any video you want to your start screen, so you can launch straight to video without loading/searching/logging into anything.
Yep, the past month or two has been quite a launch fest for apps. And everything that is done using the metro interface just feels like a brand new app, even though I owned it before on iOS