Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:06 PM   #541
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Oh yeah I forgot you guys had the 16GB version. The 32+64+4GLTE uncapped/unlimited works fine. Teehee, I love fast 4G.

By the way, the Sandisk 128GB card works in the 1520.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:43 PM   #542
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Oh yeah I forgot you guys had the 16GB version. The 32+64+4GLTE uncapped/unlimited works fine. Teehee, I love fast 4G.

By the way, the Sandisk 128GB card works in the 1520.
but it is so slow been waiting hoping they get a fast one out
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:13 AM   #543
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Oh for ****s sake:

Microsoft is making big cuts across its organisation this week with 18,000 employees being let go and the closing of Xbox Entertainment Studios. While today's revelation may not be directly tied to these cuts, they are slimming up the company's upcoming profile of Lumia devices.

According to sources close to the matter, Microsoft is said to be canceling its 3D Touch phone, codenamed McLaren. The feature was born inside the heart of Microsoft's research department but the goal of building it into a phone and shipping it later this year appears to be dead.

The canceling of this feature means that Microsoft's flagship phone for this fall is now off the table. While we suspect that they will be able to bump the specs of another device to take the flagship position, other than increased performance, it may not have a major differentiator like 3D Touch to distinguish itself in the market. As of now, we don't know of any flagships in the pipe for a fall release.

We should point out that 3D Touch is not dead - it is still very much alive inside of Microsoft, but only as an ongoing research project, rather than a product ready for release.

What is not known is that we had heard that Microsoft was working on at least two 3D touch devices, so are both devices dead? We do not know if this means the other device is dead too but we suspect that its future might be a bit bleak given this news.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...-gets-the-chop

I guess I won't know for sure until the holidays are over and the guys come back to the office.

That Nadella sure hates hardware, god damn idiot.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:21 AM   #544
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Maybe I should go for the 1520 and forget waiting for years end....

Can't believe I'm looking at windows phones and despise MS so much
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:03 AM   #545
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

1520 is a damn good phone, that's all I can say. They are still bringing something new for T-Mobile, most likely a 1520 refresh with new CPU/GPU (805)

But my usage is different than the app crazed people who need to install 5000 apps that do different things anyway - I just mainly use it as a phone-gps-citylens-mail-camera-zabbix-few other things platform.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:32 AM   #546
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Office and camera apps here, and that's about it for me. maybe the rare game that catches my attention.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:57 AM   #547
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Well for that it should work fine - you should still wait a bit to see if the refresh is coming in a sensible time frame - my inside sources said it be "before Christmas" but this Nadella guy is ****ing everything up.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:25 PM   #548
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Well for that it should work fine - you should still wait a bit to see if the refresh is coming in a sensible time frame - my inside sources said it be "before Christmas" but this Nadella guy is ****ing everything up.
It's going to be a tough wait lol. Love my note 3, but I have to admit I'm getting put off by android lately.

It'll be at least September before I really want to jump - I think I'll take your advice and wait just a bit longer.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:41 PM   #549
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Here is a nice list of the new features for those who have WP8 and want to learn what they can do with 8.1:
http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-features
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:10 AM   #550
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I aint waiting till Christmas.....and with the McLaren apparently cancelled....whats coming? who knows...who knows even when it'll find its way up here in Canadia...

I just ordered a green 930, **** yeah May have to switch carriers to get LTE though, I happen to be on the only Canadian carrier not to have band 7 LTE lol (Damn you Telus...). Don't care though, not on contract, haven't been for awhile.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:21 AM   #551
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I aint waiting till Christmas..
Waiting is going to kill me, literally.

My wife is dumping her iphone for my note 3, and I want a 1520. I'm committed to waiting to see what comes, but I'll also snag one if I run across one of those deals that would be stupid to pass up.

killing me....
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:46 AM   #552
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I just ordered a green 930
930 is a sweet phone, funnily every review so far has praised the phone and their only negative comments have been "it lacks mainstream apps".

Seriously, if that is the only bad thing you can say about a phone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
I'm committed to waiting to see what comes, but I'll also snag one if I run across one of those deals that would be stupid to pass up.
Give it a few weeks unless you can find one super cheap, once the guys get back to the office at my old work I'll try to find out what the plan is for future phones now that Microsoft has gone totally mental.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:52 AM   #553
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
930 is a sweet phone, funnily every review so far has praised the phone and their only negative comments have been "it lacks mainstream apps".

Give it a few weeks unless you can find one super cheap, once the guys get back to the office at my old work I'll try to find out what the plan is for future phones now that Microsoft has gone totally mental.
It doesn't have Glance.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:20 AM   #554
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

No Glance and the bottom right can get a little... warm.. at times.

The former I don't see them fixing (but honestly, I've not really missed it, just taken to double tapping the screen) and the latter could well be a software issue which could get ironed out.

I got my 930 last weekend and I've been enjoying it; compared to the 920 the extra screen space is nice & the build feels better which might be down to them trimming 20g off it and not making it much bigger even with the larger screen - the whole device feels smaller than the 920, which I'm basically calling witchcraft.

Much like the 920 before it I find myself picking it up just to touch it, heh.

Being in the UK I'm still waiting for Cortana of course...
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:32 AM   #555
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvodka View Post
No Glance and the bottom right can get a little... warm.. at times.

The former I don't see them fixing (but honestly, I've not really missed it, just taken to double tapping the screen) and the latter could well be a software issue which could get ironed out.

I got my 930 last weekend and I've been enjoying it; compared to the 920 the extra screen space is nice & the build feels better which might be down to them trimming 20g off it and not making it much bigger even with the larger screen - the whole device feels smaller than the 920, which I'm basically calling witchcraft.

Much like the 920 before it I find myself picking it up just to touch it, heh.

Being in the UK I'm still waiting for Cortana of course...
Glance is related to the screen tech/display memory.

Other than that, it's excellent.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:32 AM   #556
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:

Give it a few weeks unless you can find one super cheap, once the guys get back to the office at my old work I'll try to find out what the plan is for future phones now that Microsoft has gone totally mental
I've seen some as low as $300, but it would be at least the end of October before I jump....maybe. It took me an hour to get my note 3 away from the wife last night. I may need a phone sooner....
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:39 AM   #557
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Glance is related to the screen tech/display memory.
Yeah, probably should have mentioned that in context of my 'fix it' statement

It was kinda cool being able to wave my hand over the phone and have it turn on like some kind of Jedi but I can live without, just need to get into pre-glance habit of hitting power as I pull it from my pocket... (which, for the longest time after glance appeared I was doing anyway.. damned muscle memory!)
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:49 AM   #558
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
It doesn't have Glance.
Can someone explain to me what benefits glance has to double tap?

I don't really get why the glance is a big thing - both my 920 and 1520 have it but I never use it because.. well, I don't really see anything great about it.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:37 AM   #559
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

I don't really get why the glance is a big thing - both my 920 and 1520 have it but I never use it because.. well, I don't really see anything great about it.
As far as I know, it just shows the lock screen information when the phone is sleeping so instead of having to press the power button to see your info ont he lock screen you just look at the phone. It does add some redundancy though cuz you still have to remove the lock screen by waking the phone with the power button....thus seeing that same information, only on the lock screen.

Im currently still using a Lumia 710. I don't have glance so it doesn't affect me.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:32 PM   #560
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Got my 930 today,
That screen is gorgeous

So far I havnt experienced the hardware issues some people have been suffering from. Maybe cuz I set everything up so it doesn't eat data right off the bat for updates and whatever so I get to pick and choose what to update.

No LTE on Telus.

Its a freaking speed demon compared to my 710. Facebook and Line execute so fast now lol.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:49 PM   #561
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

Glance == wave hand over screen (sensors, really), and it wakes up for a short time with information/time/notifications.

Also, when you pull phone out of your pocket, it wakes up the screen for a short time, same effect.

Android has a similar thing called Glimpse, but the implementation is a hacked one.

For those who used Glance all the time, such as me, it's a HUGE miss with the 930 and Icon. Double-tap is great, but you don't need that with Glance.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 03:39 AM   #562
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

I don't really need to look at my phone that often that it warrants the glance - the notification system keeps me up to date on anything important anyway.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:24 PM   #563
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Surprise, it appears the 830 might have a Pureview camera after all- 20MP one, the same as 930/1520 has.

That would give N/MS a competitive mid-range phone with an amazing picture quality.

Edit:
We can take note of the specs visible in the images, such as microSD support, dedicated camera button and LED flash, and we have been told that the device supports NFC and wireless charging (although this may be supported as an add-on, rather than integrated), Additionally, the 830 will feature 4G LTE support and use a nanoSIM.

​Based on where we obtained these images, it seems the device is quickly approaching release and should be announced in the near future; the phone will be part of a global release. As with all new Windows Phones, expect the Lumia 830 to ship with Windows Phone 8.1 GDR 1 which includes support for folders.

Last edited by daPhoenix : Aug 24, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:40 PM   #564
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I don't really need to look at my phone that often that it warrants the glance - the notification system keeps me up to date on anything important anyway.
Glance is for when you want to... glance. You never had to click on anything to see notifications and time, just pick up the device or move it.

I just liked not having to interact with the device to see what was going on.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:03 PM   #565
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

I tested it and Glance works even if you lick the phone. Funky
Old Feb 8, 2015, 02:55 PM   #566
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

So to see how much windows phone has changed since I last used it I bought a Lumia 635 to toy with today for $75.

I'm actually not hating it as much as I was expecting to, however there is one thing that has been around since WP7 that INFURIATES me and I'm not sure if there's a way to get around it.

When I press the back button in an application, say IE, I expect it to go back to the previous website I was one. However with windows phone this isn't the case. If I was messaging someone, then opened IE and went to a website and hit back, it would go back to the messaging app.

I don't have this happen in other operating systems, and perhaps I'm ignorant as to the ability to change this. If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2015, 04:19 PM   #567
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I don't have this happen in other operating systems, and perhaps I'm ignorant as to the ability to change this. If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it.
Swipe left right, not the back button
Old Feb 8, 2015, 08:16 PM   #568
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Swipe left right, not the back button
Amazing, thanks!
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote