Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Windows Phone 8 Apps Tips and Tricks

Figured a consolidated thread would be work well

So far, besides the basic apps, which eliminate the need for separate twitter, facebook and G+ apps (all in people hub), I've add a few others. My pet peeve was and remains no native Pandora or Spotify apps. However, Nokia Music is pretty awesome and I am now using an app called "Radio Controlled" which is basically a 3'rd party Pandora App.

So, apps I currently have on my phone (Nokia Lumia 920) are:

- Netflix (not as good as on iOS)
- CNN (live and breaking news, lock screen can also update with images from iReport, very cool. Also integrates a lens in the camera app so you can send reports directly, if you ever plant to do that)
- LevelUp (pay using your phone, the code on your phone screen is scanned and you automatically receive payment information as well as the order completion, no need for credit card. A few locations around Austin use this).
- PageOnce (bill and account tracking, VERY useful )
- SoundHound and Shazam
- Weather
- Stop the Music! (automatically kills whatever song is playing and removes it from any of your media bars)

As an aside, you can do a hard-reboot of your phone by holding the down volume, power and camera buttons at the same time.

I've downloaded a few different lenses for my camera as well and I am still finding my way around the phone

Please post any different apps you are using and tips and tricks for the device.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Is there a Google Voice integration or native app that can be used. I'm really looking hard at picking up the HTC 8X series, instead of a Galaxy S3. While I know the Android OS offers much better Google Voice integration, if it's functional (for SMS and phone calls) on the 8X, one of these may be my next phone.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Is there a Google Voice integration or native app that can be used. I'm really looking hard at picking up the HTC 8X series, instead of a Galaxy S3. While I know the Android OS offers much better Google Voice integration, if it's functional (for SMS and phone calls) on the 8X, one of these may be my next phone.
You can ask questions and what not.

Also, long press on the home button brings up voice commands. It is not as refined as Siri or Google's implementation in my opinion, but the few things it natively does, it does well. Otherwise the search function is excellent.

Google's app works well too.

-edit-

Please note that some of the apps on the 920 are not available natively on the HTC and I have no idea if they will be (Nokia drive, for example). But there are plenty of surrogates that should work and Navigon and others are available with downloadable maps. Keep in mind the HTC has less space than the Nokia.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If you hit the search key then the music icon on the bottom it will identify songs just like shazam. I found it faster at finding results than shazam.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
If you hit the search key then the music icon on the bottom it will identify songs just like shazam. I found it faster at finding results than shazam.
Nice

Long press on the Back button pulls up the app switcher.

Flip through to whatever you want and double tap back button to close.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

If you have the phone connected to a bluetooth audio device (speakers or headset), when a text comes in, the phone will read out an alert to you. Surprisingly got my friends rather complicated name correct

First phone I've had with voice alerts like this so am pretty happy.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

A nice little guide to help folks out.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...8-tips-tricks/

And obviously Microsoft's own guide.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...ips-and-tricks
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Some folks appear to be having issues with battery life with WP8. While Microsoft looks into it, this might work for you

I have my NFC (for data transfer) turned off. Seems there is an issue with it constantly searching for neighboring devices. Also, I have my email set to receive immediately, instead of searching every set time.

I unplugged yesterday around 9 PM or so. It's been close to 12 hrs now and with some light browsing and messing around with some other settings, battery life currently stands at 87%.

Some other WP8 users appear to have an issue with lockups or freezes. I haven't experienced it yet but a hard-reboot can be done by holding down the Down volume key + Power + Camera.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
m4trix
Banned

m4trix is still being judged by the masses

Mine is comming the 29th hate the damn waiting time.
m4trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:38 AM   #10
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Found a good 'Music' App replacement if you're coming from iOS. "Audio Player Free" has similar menu options. I can change to a different artist's song in 4 swipes/clicks from the lock screen versus 5 on iOS and 8 using the Xbox Music app.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:40 AM   #11
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Anyone know of a battery usage app for WP8? I see Nunz and others post theirs from Android phones in other threads.

I'm thinking I have an app or two (like 'Kik') that may be draining the device. I'd like to verify that somehow.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Anyone know of a battery usage app for WP8? I see Nunz and others post theirs from Android phones in other threads.

I'm thinking I have an app or two (like 'Kik') that may be draining the device. I'd like to verify that somehow.
See this app I use.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...&postcount=169

It's called Battery Status and it's very highly rated. Lots of features.

All of the battery usage apps have a delay to conserve battery life (typically half an hour, or you can click and open them for a refresh).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:58 PM   #13
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Win8 speech recon is pretty neat, not as detailed as googles on androids but i never really used it before until now. Open, close, mail, web...
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:40 PM   #14
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Super Nintendo Emulator's out

Spotify now available

Never used spotify before but since it was released today for WP8, I thought why not. I've been missing out.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:54 PM   #15
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Spotify is still beta but runs relatively well

As an aside, the PDF reader app is now working correctly and reads more .pdf's I have opened.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #16
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Old Mar 3, 2013, 06:19 AM   #17
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
If you have the phone connected to a bluetooth audio device (speakers or headset), when a text comes in, the phone will read out an alert to you. Surprisingly got my friends rather complicated name correct

First phone I've had with voice alerts like this so am pretty happy.
Loved, and miss, that feature from my Windows Phone 7. It was great on long jogs or driving in the car as I would get text and reply back via voice. It does work great.
MSI Z87M Gaming|Intel i7 4770k |16GB DDR3 PC3 12800|XFX RX470 4GB | 6TB HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I applaud your efforts to stand behind Windows Phone 8, as futile as it seems Sazar.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:02 PM   #19
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I applaud your efforts to stand behind Windows Phone 8, as futile as it seems Sazar.
He's been a pretty great ambassador on these forums for the Windows 8 (ish) platform. Better than some of our iOS / Android "gurus" I think.

Honestly I'm curious what we'll have to say 2-3 years from now about this futile WP8 platform and its broader platform.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:07 PM   #20
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
It is a great platform, though lacking in apps for certain things. And it is definitely missing some of the Google integration. But, the apps that have come out this year itself are pretty awesome and the OS itself is way ahead in many ways from both iOS and Android.

Android remains the best overall and iOS continues to have the best apps. But WP8 has the most upside from my usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
He's been a pretty great ambassador on these forums for the Windows 8 (ish) platform. Better than some of our iOS / Android "gurus" I think.

Honestly I'm curious what we'll have to say 2-3 years from now about this futile WP8 platform and its broader platform.
The OS has a chance. Microsoft is another update or two away from fixing some of the issues, but given how relatively new the OS is and how much time Android and iOS have had, it's definitely fired a shot across their bows. If and when the app ecosystem develops, it'll be anyone's game.

In other countries, WP8 is exploding. The US is way behind in terms of adoption compared to many other countries, but c'est la vie

As with iOS and Android, you do literally have to spend about a week to get a good grasp of the product I still some wow moments with the phone and the OS. Nokia has been amazing with their products (their navigation and other apps are not available to ALL devices, not just Nokia, waiting for HTC to do the same), and the websites such as wpcentral have not shied away from calling out Microsoft for delays on things like Photosynth, Pandora, Xbox Live games and things like that.

Plus the devs have done a good job of staying engaged and responding to criticism with fixes.

It's fun. There are challenges. It's manageable. I still have options this year or the next to move to another device (I REALLY like the HTC One, for example).
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:43 PM   #21
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

I switched from the built-in calendar app to this today and it is, in a word, fantastic. You get a day/tasks/month view (or you can change as you want).

You can link it to all the accounts your Windows calendar was synced to, so rock on.

http://m.wpcentral.com/chronos-calen...not-only-great

Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:19 AM   #22
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Be nice if more WindowsPhone Store apps came to the Windows Store. Or at the very least the WinRT edge of the Windows Store given the tablet cross-over in functionality.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 06:41 AM   #23
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Be nice if more WindowsPhone Store apps came to the Windows Store. Or at the very least the WinRT edge of the Windows Store given the tablet cross-over in functionality.

The 'Blue' update project is suppose to alleviate those hurdles. Pegged for release this year but .... we all know how that goes.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 08:23 AM   #24
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
As adelphia said, it is supposed to be a work in progress.

What I have noted is an increase in tier 1 style launches. The new soccer game that came out looks absolutely amazing, for example, and asphalt and others are also brilliant. Several other apps recently have really started to add to the ecosystem. I am still waiting for Pandora personally, and the Amazon Cloud app (I have a LOT of songs on Amazon Cloud), but overall, pretty good for a few months
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:07 PM   #25
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
As adelphia said, it is supposed to be a work in progress.

What I have noted is an increase in tier 1 style launches. The new soccer game that came out looks absolutely amazing, for example, and asphalt and others are also brilliant. Several other apps recently have really started to add to the ecosystem. I am still waiting for Pandora personally, and the Amazon Cloud app (I have a LOT of songs on Amazon Cloud), but overall, pretty good for a few months
I just wish devs get off their butts and start developing apps for WP. if they announce it some time ago they are SO GODDAM SLOW with releasing either the app or an update to an existing app.....
I understand if something had to be ported to a different code base (WP7) but WP8 supports native code......

And MS is so damn slow releasing functionality updates to the OS in general to.....

I just don't like seeing WP getting brushed aside because it lacks THOSE apps and/or are missing some functionality. They don't seem to be gaining marketshare because of this.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:43 PM   #26
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I just wish devs get off their butts and start developing apps for WP. if they announce it some time ago they are SO GODDAM SLOW with releasing either the app or an update to an existing app.....
I understand if something had to be ported to a different code base (WP7) but WP8 supports native code......

And MS is so damn slow releasing functionality updates to the OS in general to.....

I just don't like seeing WP getting brushed aside because it lacks THOSE apps and/or are missing some functionality. They don't seem to be gaining marketshare because of this.
I agree completely.

I am not married to the OS. If WP8 doesn't continue improving, I'm just going to move to Android and call it a day.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 08:57 PM   #27
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
I agree completely.

I am not married to the OS. If WP8 doesn't continue improving, I'm just going to move to Android and call it a day.

Same, if it's not a lot better by the next Nexus 4 revision, buh-bye.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:04 AM   #28
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post

That's what is hurting MS. Not enough resources being put into the platform. I don't understand their marketing either. Why would I care if Jessica Alba or Gwen Stefani uses Windows 8? Am I to believe this is marketed to women? MS has never been good at marketing, but they need a different approach. I see more Surface dancing commercials than I do for their phone. Then again, I still think the whole Windows 8 OS is just plain bizarre.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:15 PM   #29
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

http://www.wpcentral.com/drift-mania...ty-game-engine

first wp8 game using the unity engine.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:21 PM   #30
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
That's what is hurting MS. Not enough resources being put into the platform. I don't understand their marketing either. Why would I care if Jessica Alba or Gwen Stefani uses Windows 8? Am I to believe this is marketed to women? MS has never been good at marketing, but they need a different approach. I see more Surface dancing commercials than I do for their phone. Then again, I still think the whole Windows 8 OS is just plain bizarre.
The Surface commercial must have been good coz it is testing well and Apple is copying them with their new commercials