Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a Windows Surface (Tablet)?
Yes 7 9.09%
No 38 49.35%
Maybe 32 41.56%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:14 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
I still think the pricing is too high. Engadget is reporting they are going with mini-display port instead of HDMI? Ouch.
I don't think that really matters as I know I have like 15 HDMI to mini display port adaptors laying around from various graphics cards over the past couple years. Mini HDMI adapters are more rare tahn mini display port these days. I just don't see it as a negative as it uses standards based cables and not a proprietary connector.

Of course people think prices are too high but for the price you will have a full fetured OS and device vs the limited consumption oriented products in Ipad and Android.

Everyone wants everything for nothing these days

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:26 AM   #122
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

These will be on clearance within 120 of release.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:49 AM   #123
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
I don't think that really matters as I know I have like 15 HDMI to mini display port adaptors laying around from various graphics cards over the past couple years.
How many does the general consumer have? HDMI is the selling points for TVs and home theater devices. Having to get an adapter is a turn off to the idea of it working out of the box.

Quote:
Of course people think prices are too high but for the price you will have a full fetured OS and device vs the limited consumption oriented products in Ipad and Android.

Everyone wants everything for nothing these days
Does the general consumer know that? Why would they care? Do both get my email and surf the web? Yes? Why should I pay more for x86 whatevers?

That's what Microsoft is facing and that's why it's too expensive.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:35 AM   #124
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
How many does the general consumer have? HDMI is the selling points for TVs and home theater devices. Having to get an adapter is a turn off to the idea of it working out of the box.

Does the general consumer know that? Why would they care? Do both get my email and surf the web? Yes? Why should I pay more for x86 whatevers?

That's what Microsoft is facing and that's why it's too expensive.
The Surface Pro isn't meant for the general consumer It's meant for people who need a core i5 with 4gb ram and a 64 or 128gb ssd. The price is low considering everything you get.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:46 AM   #125
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The Surface Pro isn't meant for the general consumer It's meant for people who need a core i5 with 4gb ram and a 64 or 128gb ssd. The price is low considering everything you get.
And why would you need that much power in a tablet?
If you need that much power than it's usually for something productive and then an Ultrabook is the better choice.

And just because this can be a hybrid doesn't mean its tablet part is great. I mean, 4-5h of battery life and a fan is pretty horrible.

The Surface RT is great, I like it. But those hybrids, doesn't matter if more tablet or more notebook, are stupid. Just keep things separated...
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:11 AM   #126
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

For productivity, an ultrabook's keyboard is better and possibly has backlighting.

For consumption, an ipad/android tablet is more portable, easier to consume on (cellular data), and can consume for twice as long without a recharge.

This surface pro means nothing to 95% of the population. Maybe some overweight IT guys can join a domain with it. Whoopdeedoo.

Last edited by BackToPC : Nov 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:18 AM   #127
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
If you need that much power than it's usually for something productive and then an Ultrabook is the better choice.

And just because this can be a hybrid doesn't mean its tablet part is great. I mean, 4-5h of battery life and a fan is pretty horrible.

The Surface RT is great, I like it. But those hybrids, doesn't matter if more tablet or more notebook, are stupid. Just keep things separated...
Why should they keep it separatred? I prefer more functionality over anything else. A surface with a Type Cover is every bit as fuctional as an ultrabook and smaller as well. You get the benefit of the tablet experience with the functionality of a full blown PC if one so chooses and are not hindered by the limited functionality of current Apple and Android offerings.

Why stay status quo when they can push it forward?

I want it to do as much as possible. Why keep a separate device for doing X task when I can have a device that does X,Y and Z.

For a couple hundred more than Apples most expensive Ipad for the functionality The Surface Pro is a no brainer.

Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:31 AM   #128
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabran View Post
Why stay status quo when they can push it forward?
That's exactly it! Those Hybrids are the status quo, I'd say even a step backwards. They're slowing down the Post-PC transition. Instead of solving important issues of current Post-PC devices, they'll take the easy way out and offer old PC "solutions" including old PC issues.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:00 PM   #129
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

Quote:
That's exactly it! Those Hybrids are the status quo, I'd say even a step backwards. They're slowing down the Post-PC transition. Instead of solving important issues of current Post-PC devices, they'll take the easy way out and offer old PC "solutions" including old PC issues.
There is no "Post PC" and by your theory, moving forward means limiting choice and functionality and dictate how I will use my device.

I really don't see how limiting choice and functionality is moving forward.

Let the industry evolve and let the user decide which UI they prefer and I support all options being available vs. what my corporate masters deem is appropriate for me.

Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:03 PM   #130
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
and who wants a Post-PC transition other than apple

I don't I want a tablet that has more and more pc power, in a generation or to these tablets pc's will kill a closed ecosystem ipad
I may or may not get the pro I may go for the bigger asus book
the microsoft surface pro is just one of many full win8 tablets on the way

as for battery life my ipad2 only last 6 or 7 hours with ios6
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:04 PM   #131
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
That's a troll statement, what are the specs of an ultrabook You don't try to get into a market with the amount of resources they've put into it, just to hit a niche market. Especially when you list specs that are sold everyday now.

Quote:

Quote:
You and this post-pc thing is hilarious. I've clearly stated as to why you're wrong in previous posts. Stop it.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:23 PM   #132
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
That's a troll statement, what are the specs of an ultrabook You don't try to get into a market with the amount of resources they've put into it, just to hit a niche market. Especially when you list specs that are sold everyday now.

You and this post-pc thing is hilarious. I've clearly stated as to why you're wrong in previous posts. Stop it.
You're funny too.
First you're talking about a troll statement from someone else and then you're suggesting that I should stop having my opinion because you say it's wrong.

I know we have different opinions on this but we should leave it at that. No need to forbid someone else's opinions.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:37 PM   #133
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
You're funny too.
First you're talking about a troll statement from someone else and then you're suggesting that I should stop having my opinion because you say it's wrong.

I know we have different opinions on this but we should leave it at that. No need to forbid someone else's opinions.

Agreed to a point, but keeping your opinion even with it completely dismantled, is like proclaiming the moon is still cheese after getting hit with a moon rock to the head.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:27 PM   #134
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Troll statement my ass, go price a similar Ultrabook and then take your troll statement crap and shove it up your ass.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:36 PM   #135
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToPC View Post
Posting specs is not constructive. Right. I guess I should be telling other ragers to call it a slate and not a tablet. THAT is how one is constructive on rage.
Did you read the rest of your posts?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:37 PM   #136
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i might be the first Win 8 tablet user on rage3d.

in Hongkong, we already have 3 different i series cpu win 8 tab on sale for a month already.

acer w700, sony duo 11, samsung ativ pro.

they all have ups and downs. samsung is the most lightest and thinnest of all. it looks just like a samsung android tab. you can attach or disattach your keyboard as well. Price wise is second most expensive one behind SONY

Sony duo 11, you can never unplug your keyboard. this is really a lapto to me. 2x 3.0usb port. hdmi port, vga, port, sdcard slot + keyboard.

Acer wu700 is the cheapest of all, i5 + 128gb ssd only cost about 1100usd.
this one has no keyboard on the HK version, i use it like a tablet and it works well
A pure tablet user, sure, but I've had my XPS 12 convertible ultrabook (and using it in tablet format) for weeks now

It's a good experience
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:42 PM   #137
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

Why?

I love being able to do both things on a single device without compromising power/productivity.

The entire industry is moving towards convergence, heck you may soon be using nothing more than mobile cloud pc's like those Wyse offers.

The Windows 8 experience across multiple platforms is the best implementation yet. Is it perfect? Nope. Can it be done better? Yep.

However no one else has done it to this point.

From my perspective, it is a seamless environment to work in.

As an aside, I understand your sentiments re: RT and Pro, but honestly, as a power user, I would expect after you spend some solid time in the ecosystem, you will understand why I have changed my tune and love Windows 8 now
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:33 PM   #138
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Troll statement my ass, go price a similar Ultrabook and then take your troll statement crap and shove it up your ass.

Here ya go: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Laptop-C...term=ultrabook

There's a whole line up. i5, 4gb of RAM, apology on the next post plz, kthx.

The Surface Pro is overpriced compared to what you're getting stock. All Surface models should be anywhere from $100 to $200 cheaper.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:42 PM   #139
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:

The Surface Pro is overpriced compared to what you're getting stock. All Surface models should be anywhere from $100 to $200 cheaper.
How many of those have anywhere close to the same features?

Item 1, screen. Not one of those system specs showed a 1080p screen. The closest is the 900p Yoga and that starts at $999. I didn't see the XPS 12 from Dell but that is the only thing I can think of that would have anywhere close to the same features and pricing (at least what I paid for it).
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:55 PM   #140
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
How many of those have anywhere close to the same features?

Item 1, screen. Not one of those system specs showed a 1080p screen. The closest is the 900p Yoga and that starts at $999. I didn't see the XPS 12 from Dell but that is the only thing I can think of that would have anywhere close to the same features and pricing (at least what I paid for it).
A valid point, imo. However, not in the scope of this doozy.

Quote:

There's a whole bunch in there. A good screen isn't a saving grace for a product now. Everything caught up to retina so fast, it's more of an expectation now instead of a feature.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:07 PM   #141
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+ENV...specifications

4.7 pounds

i'm sure someone will come up with a external battery for the surface pro that is less than 2.7 pounds
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:21 PM   #142
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
A valid point, imo. However, not in the scope of this doozy.

There's a whole bunch in there. A good screen isn't a saving grace for a product now. Everything caught up to retina so fast, it's more of an expectation now instead of a feature.
If it's an expectation instead of a feature then why do none of those ultrabooks have a decent resolution screen? Not to mention that they're ALL larger than the Surface Pro, most of them don't have SSD's or have tiny SSD's, and the ones that are cheaper than the Surface Pro are frigging Acers You can't seriously tell me I'm trolling and then roll out this line of bullshit, can you?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:59 PM   #143
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
If it's an expectation instead of a feature then why do none of those ultrabooks have a decent resolution screen? Not to mention that they're ALL larger than the Surface Pro, most of them don't have SSD's or have tiny SSD's, and the ones that are cheaper than the Surface Pro are frigging Acers You can't seriously tell me I'm trolling and then roll out this line of bullshit, can you?
Now that screen quality is suddenly in the conversation, not really no. However, your initial general statement of an i5 and 4gb ram not being targeted to the general user line, absolutely yes.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:08 PM   #144
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Now that screen quality is suddenly in the conversation, not really no. However, your initial general statement of an i5 and 4gb ram not being targeted to the general user line, absolutely yes.
I think it was the entire package.

Some of the ultrabooks you pointed out are decent options, undoubtedly.

The point of contention when looking at the entire package includes features and the screen happens to be one of those items that can drive up cost significantly, especially if it is not a mainstream resolution.

You are correct about the slate/tablet conversation, but when paring down the comparison otherwise, it is easier to see why some of the new tablets are being priced more than some other solutions.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:29 PM   #145
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I think it was the entire package.

Some of the ultrabooks you pointed out are decent options, undoubtedly.

The point of contention when looking at the entire package includes features and the screen happens to be one of those items that can drive up cost significantly, especially if it is not a mainstream resolution.

You are correct about the slate/tablet conversation, but when paring down the comparison otherwise, it is easier to see why some of the new tablets are being priced more than some other solutions.
Shrinking a device to the point of the Surface Pro does not come cheaply, especially when it comes to x86 hardware that doesn't run like complete dogshit.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:01 PM   #146
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i don't see why people are saying the i5 tablet win 8 is expensive.

just don't look at sony, samsung tabs lol. go look at the acer like me.

when you think about this. ipad 64 gigs, cost 900 usd. for 150usd more.

you get i5, 128gbssd, 4gb ram. full win 8 from acer
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Dec 1, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:15 AM   #147
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i don't see why people are saying the i5 tablet win 8 is expensive.

just don't look at sony, samsung tabs lol. go look at the acer like me.

when you think about this. ipad 64 gigs, cost 900 usd. for 150usd more.

you get i5, 128gbssd, 4gb ram. full win 8 from acer
That comparison made sense up until the last word
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:28 AM   #148
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Shrinking a device to the point of the Surface Pro does not come cheaply, especially when it comes to x86 hardware that doesn't run like complete dogshit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
These will be on clearance within 120 of release.

And to those points....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-575...y-bridge-chip/

Seems like maybe we should wait until the end of Q1 for the x86 tablet line.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:44 AM   #149
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Can I edit documents (ppt, word) on the tablet? Like type stuff?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:54 AM   #150
slaWter
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Can I edit documents (ppt, word) on the tablet? Like type stuff?
Yes. The Surface RT is the best tablet for productive tasks.
However, Office still runs on the old Desktop. So to work comfortably, you'll probably need KB&M or one of the official covers.