Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a Windows Surface (Tablet)?
Yes 7 9.09%
No 38 49.35%
Maybe 32 41.56%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:51 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Looks great! Enjoy!

Would be my non iOS tablet of choice as well
Thanks, really liking it so far... but i think this is because I really like what MS has done with Win8 on a whole more than the tablet its self. I mean the actual hardware and design is fantastic and they married the two very nicely, but the more i think about it its pretty much an ultra portable PC. Ok so you cant install regular windows programs, but most of the Win8's OS features and settings are editable (control panel, desktop icons, mapping drives, RDP...etc). So i would maybe start to rethink that the Surface RT is probably beyond your typical tablet because its almost essentially a knocked down win8 system in a "tablet" form. When the Win8 Pro comes around i dont think it would be fair to compare it to other tablets (ios, android) as those are tablet OS's and win8 is a full blown OS.

Thoughts?
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:03 PM   #92
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** View Post
Thanks, really liking it so far... but i think this is because I really like what MS has done with Win8 on a whole more than the tablet its self. I mean the actual hardware and design is fantastic and they married the two very nicely, but the more i think about it its pretty much an ultra portable PC. Ok so you cant install regular windows programs, but most of the Win8's OS features and settings are editable (control panel, desktop icons, mapping drives, RDP...etc). So i would maybe start to rethink that the Surface RT is probably beyond your typical tablet because its almost essentially a knocked down win8 system in a "tablet" form. When the Win8 Pro comes around i dont think it would be fair to compare it to other tablets (ios, android) as those are tablet OS's and win8 is a full blown OS.

Thoughts?

No you're right, you won't be able to compare them because they can't compete.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:16 PM   #93
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

So the Pro will be released earlier and at a lower price. Looks like MS isn't too happy with RT sales...
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:29 PM   #94
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
So the Pro will be released earlier and at a lower price. Looks like MS isn't too happy with RT sales...

I still think the pricing is too high. Engadget is reporting they are going with mini-display port instead of HDMI? Ouch.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:24 PM   #95
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
I still think the pricing is too high. Engadget is reporting they are going with mini-display port instead of HDMI? Ouch.
The price would be good I think at around $899. A lot cheaper than the others already available.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:49 PM   #96
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Price is too high. MS needs to be willing to lose money on these devices.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:03 PM   #97
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

yes it it expensive, but its practically a tablet/mini-notebook, not just a tablet like all the others.

you got your x86 hardware, x86 OS, x86 compatibility with everything.
Basically you have a laptop replacement AND tablet.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:28 PM   #98
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Price is too high. MS needs to be willing to lose money on these devices.
I don't think it's that bad at 899 or 999

a wifi ipad 64gb is 699 so 200 more for a full x86 pc in a tablet form

but unlike apple I do think the price will drop over time
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:57 PM   #99
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

4 hour battery life, surface pro is dead on arrival

It's a tablet that has....fans. And weighs 2 lbs.

Not to mention its pretty fat. And has no cellular data. It's the non-portable tablet.

Lame.

Last edited by BackToPC : Nov 29, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:08 PM   #100
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I am liking my decision to invest in the XPS 12 more and more

Still, 1080p on that size screen will be amazing to see. I know I love it on my 12.5" screen
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:42 PM   #101
Hogrider
Radeon Evergreen

Hogrider is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToPC View Post
4 hour battery life, surface pro is dead on arrival

It's a tablet that has....fans. And weighs 2 lbs.

Not to mention its pretty fat. And has no cellular data. It's the non-portable tablet.

Lame.

Well I did kind of want one but that does sound lame to me for a tablet.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:55 PM   #102
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

you really donh't want data on win 8 tablet.

my win 8 tablet eats my data in 1 min it could use 30 MB without even doing anything
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:18 PM   #103
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
you really donh't want data on win 8 tablet.

my win 8 tablet eats my data in 1 min it could use 30 MB without even doing anything
There are settings to help with that.

Also apps draw data but again, settings for that.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:23 PM   #104
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

You guys really need to stop calling the Surface Pro a tablet... It's a slate, that's a very very different product from a tablet...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:24 PM   #105
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
There are settings to help with that.

Also apps draw data but again, settings for that.
can you give me a hints please

i was only surfing on rage3d. or even not doing anything. but my 3g card wifi adapter used 30MB in a single minute

Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:26 PM   #106
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
You guys really need to stop calling the Surface Pro a tablet... It's a slate, that's a very very different product from a tablet...
Fanboy spin. Even MS calls it a tablet: "Surface with Windows 8 Pro is a 64-bit tablet PC"

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-...ows-8-pro/home

Spin spin sugar, not surprised to see damage control being attempted on rage. I'd buy one if MS knew what the hell they are doing...

But please, let's call it a slate because if we call it a tablet it gets destroyed next to its competition, LOL!

Last edited by BackToPC : Nov 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:29 PM   #107
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
can you give me a hints please

i was only surfing on rage3d. or even not doing anything. but my 3g card wifi adapter used 30MB in a single minute
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...work-settings/

Try the information there. Hopefully it helps.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:32 PM   #108
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Fanboy spin. Even MS calls it a tablet :"Surface with Windows 8 Pro is a 64-bit tablet PC that combines beauty, power and mobility."

Spin spin sugar, not surprised to see damage control being attempted on rage. I'd buy one if MS knew what the hell they are doing...

But please, let's call it a slate because if we call it a tablet it gets destroyed next to its competition, LOL!
Thank you for your insightful, unbiased post.

And both RT and standard Win 8 tablets are superior in terms of productivity to content consumption devices. Btw, both the surface products work well for content consumption as well.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:34 PM   #109
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:

And both RT and standard Win 8 tablets are superior in terms of productivity to content consumption devices. Btw, both the surface products work well for content consumption as well.
Will there be a rage mass suicide when MS tanks because Ballmer isn't Gates?

As an iOS and android developer I enjoy being labeled biased. Biased against crap.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:37 PM   #110
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

if win 8 pro MS is too heavy .
get samsung ativ pro.... only 800 grams?

Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:39 PM   #111
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

o baby, i was looking at the wifi option metered mode. but was not sure what it does.

now i know

thanks

Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:40 PM   #112
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
With 8.5 hours of battery life that thing looks much better than a surface pro. Also has 3G.

Last edited by BackToPC : Nov 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:42 PM   #113
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Will there be a rage mass suicide when MS tanks because Ballmer isn't Gates?

As an iOS and android developer I enjoy being labeled biased. Biased against crap.
Apparently you are also allergic to posting anything constructive and resort to troll posts to get your point across. Lends more credence to your points, right?

Quote:
I think the first reviews will be interesting. I don't expect any current gen products to be light and have long battery life and run full bore. If ARM based configs could run Win 8, it would solve some of that balance issue.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:43 PM   #114
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
o baby, i was looking at the wifi option metered mode. but was not sure what it does.

now i know

thanks
Glad to help. Hope it works
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:45 PM   #115
BackToPC
Banned

Quote:
Apparently you are also allergic to posting anything constructive and resort to troll posts to get your point across. Lends more credence to your points, right?

I think the first reviews will be interesting. I don't expect any current gen products to be light and have long battery life and run full bore. If ARM based configs could run Win 8, it would solve some of that balance issue.
Posting specs is not constructive. Right. I guess I should be telling other ragers to call it a slate and not a tablet. THAT is how one is constructive on rage.

Last edited by BackToPC : Nov 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:55 PM   #116
Hogrider
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Oh wow now that I heard it called a slate that makes all the difference. Now I would buy at least 3...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:04 PM   #117
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Fanboy spin. Even MS calls it a tablet: "Surface with Windows 8 Pro is a 64-bit tablet PC"

I'm an Android fanboy if anything and you're truncating what they call it, which is very specifically a "tablet PC." Don't be dishonest.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:06 PM   #118
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

i might be the first Win 8 tablet user on rage3d.

in Hongkong, we already have 3 different i series cpu win 8 tab on sale for a month already.

acer w700, sony duo 11, samsung ativ pro.

they all have ups and downs. samsung is the most lightest and thinnest of all. it looks just like a samsung android tab. you can attach or disattach your keyboard as well. Price wise is second most expensive one behind SONY

Sony duo 11, you can never unplug your keyboard. this is really a lapto to me. 2x 3.0usb port. hdmi port, vga, port, sdcard slot + keyboard.

Acer wu700 is the cheapest of all, i5 + 128gb ssd only cost about 1100usd.
this one has no keyboard on the HK version, i use it like a tablet and it works well

Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:07 PM   #119
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Oh wow now that I heard it called a slate that makes all the difference. Now I would buy at least 3...
You know damned well the x64 based tablet PC is more powerful than any of the ARM based tablets you're so hard up to compare it to. Having a full PC in this form factor is NOT going to be thin, sexy, or keep cool easily. Quit being obtuse.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:26 PM   #120
Hogrider
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
You know damned well the x64 based tablet PC is more powerful than any of the ARM based tablets you're so hard up to compare it to. Having a full PC in this form factor is NOT going to be thin, sexy, or keep cool easily. Quit being obtuse.
Stop whining. It sounds awful for a tablet. I'd rather have a laptop.

Oh and pssst... you didn't call it a slate.