Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:55 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
On both sides, yes. For those of us who stuff our phones in the front pockets of our business clothes a smaller phone is a better phone. I don't want to try to be selling some guy with a giant phone bulging out of my crotch. So for some there is a reason why a half inch here or there is important. For the rest of you it's just extra screen real estate... but I couldn't do it.
Sounds like hyperbole to me.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:55 AM   #32
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

It's not. I buy dress pants at Express for men and the pockets feel too full with phones that are larger. My Razr was very boarderline, and the Droid 4 was just too chunky. Now with the iPhone 5 I can even fit some gum or chapstick in there too and not have it look bad. Too much crap in your pockets ruins the lines of a suit, or even just dress slacks.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:12 AM   #33
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

Rakeesh is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
On both sides, yes. For those of us who stuff our phones in the front pockets of our business clothes a smaller phone is a better phone. I don't want to try to be selling some guy with a giant phone bulging out of my crotch. So for some there is a reason why a half inch here or there is important. For the rest of you it's just extra screen real estate... but I couldn't do it.
Just tell him you're happy to see him, customers love that.

But anyways, I don't know about the S3, (I don't own one) but my Galaxy Nexus is very slim (thinner than an iphone btw) and because of the slight curvature, it goes snug against my leg when it is in my pocket. I use a $10 cruzerlite case, which is very low profile and provides ample protection for my needs.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:15 AM   #34
Zoolok
The Fly

Zoolok is still being judged by the masses

Old Oct 1, 2012, 06:09 AM   #35
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolok View Post
Yeap lumia 920 looks like an awesome phone and I would have bought it if it had apple app store without thinking twice

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 06:47 AM   #36
Zoolok
The Fly

Zoolok is still being judged by the masses

The Windows Marketplace will grow, new things are coming up constantly. Though I don't use my phone for apps that much (I do that on my iPad).
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:42 AM   #37
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolok View Post
The Windows Marketplace will grow, new things are coming up constantly. Though I don't use my phone for apps that much (I do that on my iPad).
Well I can wait

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:04 AM   #38
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I was just playing around wtih some newbie apps that emulate the windows 8 start screen. (The one that seems to be the best emulation is called 'w phone 8')

At first glance it seems more like "huh? That's it?" But after fiddling around with it i gotta say its a milion times better than the current existing start screen with 2 columns of tiles and a thin blank gutter strip on he right hand side.

The removal of that gutter ad the resizable tiles made such a huge difference in both aesthetics and customizability.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 02:37 PM   #39
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
lumia 920.......awesome phone......if it had apple app store.....
The fact that it doesn't is a primary factor in my desire to own the phone.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 08:30 PM   #40
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I was just playing around wtih some newbie apps that emulate the windows 8 start screen. (The one that seems to be the best emulation is called 'w phone 8')

At first glance it seems more like "huh? That's it?" But after fiddling around with it i gotta say its a milion times better than the current existing start screen with 2 columns of tiles and a thin blank gutter strip on he right hand side.

The removal of that gutter ad the resizable tiles made such a huge difference in both aesthetics and customizability.
Just tried the W phone 8 on my Lumina 710 and it does make the home screen nice.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:24 PM   #41
bman212121
Radeon R520

bman212121 is still being judged by the masses

Not sure what apps everyone is looking for? Apps are going to be the 800lb Gorilla I guess when it comes to Windows Phone. I have Pandora through metro Radio, Skype is supposed to be integrated in WP8, as is facebook. There are apps for youtube, great games like Taptitude. Office takes care of Word / Excel, I can view PDFs, surf the web, e-mail is integrated as is the calendar, and you can view Google Docs via G docs. Skydrive is integrated, there is support for bing maps and Gmaps. RDP/SSH, Netflix, gasbuddy, and you can get shazam or you can just use the built in audio recognition that's under the search button. Even Angry Birds has made it's way over since it's such a big name now.

The only thing is doesn't have is the one hit wonders like WWF because after their 15 minutes of fame is up no one really cares and it's on to the next big thing...
Q6600 G0 3 gigers - ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe Kama - XFX 780I - 8GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 - Diamond HD5870 - Dell 2407WFP - Intel 160GB G2 - X-FI Fatal1ty - Logitech Z5500 - Sennheiser HD555 - ThermalTake Toughpower 850W - CM Stacker 830 Custom - Logitech G5 - Saitek Eclipse II - Windows 7 x64
bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 03:41 PM   #42
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So apparently this is going to be an AT&T exclusive now. So Nokia can go **** themselves.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 04:09 PM   #43
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

We've received Lumina 800's at work (unlimited data ) and the phone is really nice and the gui slick etc, but it doesn't have the app support of its smartphone brethren. It could really do with first party support from the BBC for instance - does have apps for it but they dont always want to read all the articles correctly.

Also i have a wifi scanner on my EVO 3D which is super handy for finding unplugged WAPs around the schools i support (managed solutions and POE just too costly for them..) but the marketplace just doesn't have anything like it at. I guess they are just aiming for a non-geek customer having Outlook where ever i go is fab though and we're getting hooked up with Lyncs so keeping up with the faults is real handy on it.

Being able to update the phone OTA would be especially welcome if they ever figure that out.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:01 PM   #44
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I thought I read WP8 has OTA updates
Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:36 PM   #45
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
So apparently this is going to be an AT&T exclusive now. So Nokia can go **** themselves.

Ditto, was about to make jump from my Android (came from Apple) to W8 via the Lumia 920 but no way in hell I am going back to the $hit hole that is AT&T.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:23 PM   #46
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
Ditto, was about to make jump from my Android (came from Apple) to W8 via the Lumia 920 but no way in hell I am going back to the $hit hole that is AT&T.
same deal up here.
Its not coming to telus or bell (Telus doesnt say what they'll get, but they definately say no 920 so its most likely the 820, and Bell said they're getting 2 of them most likely the Ativ S and the HTC 8x) so its most likely going to Rogers. Rogers and fido got the 900 and 710, Telus got the 800 and the 610. Bell just didnt give a rats ass)

Whoever thought it was a good idea to give a carrier exclusivity for a hyped phone that NEEDS all the exposure it can get is an absolute moron....

Im somewhat hoping the buyout price is not too much (im expecting it to be around 600, pretty much the same as every thing out there thats not an iphone) cuz im contemplating whether its a better move to get a non-contract phone and avoid 3 years of one carrier who may or may not suck.

Last edited by Sasquach : Oct 4, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:39 PM   #47
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Wouldn't buy that phone at full retail price. Well, unless you were a huge fan of wp ecosystem.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:08 PM   #48
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

would i be able to install windows 7 exe application on windows 8 mobile?
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:29 PM   #49
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Not likely with an ARM processor.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:15 AM   #50
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
same deal up here.
Its not coming to telus or bell (Telus doesnt say what they'll get, but they definately say no 920 so its most likely the 820, and Bell said they're getting 2 of them most likely the Ativ S and the HTC 8x) so its most likely going to Rogers. Rogers and fido got the 900 and 710, Telus got the 800 and the 610. Bell just didnt give a rats ass)

Whoever thought it was a good idea to give a carrier exclusivity for a hyped phone that NEEDS all the exposure it can get is an absolute moron....

Im somewhat hoping the buyout price is not too much (im expecting it to be around 600, pretty much the same as every thing out there thats not an iphone) cuz im contemplating whether its a better move to get a non-contract phone and avoid 3 years of one carrier who may or may not suck.
I think you may be reading too much into the exclusivity part of the announcement. I bet in a few days we will have a better idea where the 920 will be available.

I paid full price for my unlocked TITAN and do not regret it. I wouldn't think twice about buying a 920 at full price.

Windows phone has been great for me, since I got my first phone (surround). A handful of forced restarts combined of the 3 phones I've owned.

I have never had to ask help for why my battery life is so bad........
Old Oct 5, 2012, 09:41 AM   #51
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

I'm hoping that this is just a time exclusive. I can't think that Nokia would be this daft with the financial situation they are in. If it's not coming ot Verizon I guess it's the 8x for me.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:16 AM   #52
painkiller
Radeon Northern Islands

painkiller is still being judged by the masses

Here is a little rumor that has been floating around.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-922-headed-verizon

Quote:
We know that AT&T is getting the Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 Windows Phones. T-Mobile is slated to get the Lumia 810. We've also seen a Nokia Lumia 822 floating around that is headed to Verizon.
We may need to add another number to the mix, the Nokia Lumia 922. A series of tweeted rumor is out there by @NokiaPureView who is claiming to have handled a Verizon Lumia 9XX (presumably the 922). The tweets mention that the mysterious device has a "matte finish, Pureview, is thinner, lighter and better."
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:49 PM   #53
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

The Nokia situation seems a bit wierd.

They announced the 920/820 apparently they're global world phones. then 920 is exclusive to AT&T and Rogers in NA. the 820 hasnt really been announced anywhere, but tehres variants of it popping up on the US networks.....Tmobile is getting the 810, and verizon is getting an 822. These seem like 820 variants made specifically for their respective carriers. then we have that 922 rumor floating around which sounds like its a thinner phone than the 920 but might have a bulge where the camera sensor is. If this is indeed a true variant of the 920 for Verizon....

Does that mean Nokia is possibly custom making 920/820 variants for each major carrier?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:04 PM   #54
Rakeesh
PC is ze master race

Rakeesh is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Ah so they are basically making a mini tablet. AT&T exclusive means they don't intend for you to make phone calls with it.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:03 PM   #55
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Best buy has the 920 available for preorder for $150 with contract extension.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:44 PM   #56
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
Best buy has the 920 available for preorder for $150 with contract extension.
I want a yellow one....

damn you rogers....
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:08 PM   #57
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Any updates on this (or the HTC) device?

Seems to be awfully quiet on the front with regards to release dates
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:28 PM   #58
slaWter
Radeon R700

slaWter is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Any updates on this (or the HTC) device?

Seems to be awfully quiet on the front with regards to release dates
The two HTC phones are scheduled for a Nov 20th release.
MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 # Intel Core i7 2.7GHz # 16GB DDR3 1600MHz # nVidia 650M 1024MB # Samsung 830 768GB SATA 3.0 & 512GB USB 3.0 # 27" LED Cinema Display
Fileserver Intel Core i3 530 1.2GHz # 4GB DDR3 1333MHz # Intel X25-V G2 40GB, WDC Scorpio 250GB # 16TB RAID 6 + 24TB RAID 6 # Adaptec RAID 5405 w/ Chenbro CK12804 SAS Expander # Norco RPC 4220
slaWter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:32 PM   #59
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

all should be revealed on monday when WP8 officially gets released.

Other than that, its just mostly hush hush and small feature leaks.
Seems like either November 4 or November 11/12 will be when all these phones hit the market (well at least for the Lumia, i think the Ativ S is the same)

And the demand for the 920 seems to be pretty high, being sold out at online retailers.

The thing i hate most about the HTC phones...8/16gb onboard storage with no SD slot expansion on the 8X.....i mean really??
It should at least be 32gb nowadays if you're not gonna include an SD slot....
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:37 PM   #60
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
The two HTC phones are scheduled for a Nov 20th release.
Thanks, that is a long wait.

Quote:
all should be revealed on monday when WP8 officially gets released.

Other than that, its just mostly hush hush and small feature leaks.
Seems like either November 4 or November 11/12 will be when all these phones hit the market (well at least for the Lumia, i think the Ativ S is the same)

And the demand for the 920 seems to be pretty high, being sold out at online retailers.

The thing i hate most about the HTC phones...8/16gb onboard storage with no SD slot expansion on the 8X.....i mean really??
It should at least be 32gb nowadays if you're not gonna include an SD slot....
Well, you could always use skydrive as a last resort, but that memory thing is daft, definitely.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote