Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:11 AM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

There comes a point when there isn't any new tech you can throw into a phone... it becomes a commodity game almost. It happened to flip phones. That said I don't know what else they COULD have done... seriously, is there anything they left out you can think of?

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:23 AM   #212
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking View Post
There comes a point when there isn't any new tech you can throw into a phone... it becomes a commodity game almost. It happened to flip phones. That said I don't know what else they COULD have done... seriously, is there anything they left out you can think of?
Bigger screen, which would allow for resolution that's not subpar?

Also..there's plenty of what you can still throw at smartphones, wireless charging, NFC, image stabilization on camera, screens that are usable through gloves, haptic feedback.

Bassicaly iPhone 5 seems more like a refresh than next generation of iPhone. Which isn't a bad thing on it's own, but people do expect much more from Apple and they themselves created such image. It propably wouldn't be so underwhelming if the conference would be more toned down. Instead you got awkward event where people were trying to make nice little upgrades to be more than they are. And when Ivy went with "complete redesign"...it was really hard not to chuckle.
A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:28 AM   #213
fryjs
Rage3D Veteran

fryjs is still being judged by the masses

Just looking at the lumia 920, they could have put nfc, wireless charging, optical stabilized camera, etc. However whether any of those things would add any real value is arguable (even though I appreciate them on the lumia), and would most likely needed a different design.

As it is now, the hardware is of an extraordinarily well refined design (albeit somewhat safe) that is quite simply amazing IMO.

Nokia did well to schedule the lumia announcement before the iPhone announcement, otherwise I would have probably bought the iPhone before the lumia is available, even knowing it was coming. (I keep mentioning the lumia as that is what I am intending to get next so it's what I am concerned about, however the iPhone5 is so very temping...)

And tangentially, Apple's website for the iPhone5 is just spectacular, as is their promo video of it. They know how to do product marketing, that is for sure.

Last edited by fryjs : Sep 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
fryjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:39 AM   #214
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Camera features seem to have been forgotten in recent smartphones outside Lumina. That is probably more due to consumer sentiment than laziness though.

As for the iP5 screen... looks to be nice rez to me. Its not like anybody has MORE pixels per inch. And personally I am really glad its not larger. I hate pancake phones.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:45 AM   #215
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Looks like ATT members who are grandfathered into an unlimited data plan will get to keep those plans when they upgrade if they chose to do so.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/12/att-ip...lans-confirme/

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:22 AM   #216
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

Hmm, what about Verizon? Do they keep their unlimited?

Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:41 AM   #217
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Hmm, what about Verizon? Do they keep their unlimited?
No, gonna have to pay for it or switch plans.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:18 AM   #218
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

I'm sure AT&T did that as a move because they know that a HUGE portion of users would jump to Verizon's HUGE LTE market.

And this is there new bait, keep your unlimited data if you stay on our 'ok' network now.

And for the most part i'm sure it'll work. As we all know with LTE you can suck down a 1gb in a day easily!
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:45 AM   #219
Douglaster
X360 - PC

Douglaster is still being judged by the masses

Well, i was expecting more.

Ill jump to the Note II.
Douglaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:08 AM   #220
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Camera features seem to have been forgotten in recent smartphones outside Lumina. That is probably more due to consumer sentiment than laziness though.

As for the iP5 screen... looks to be nice rez to me. Its not like anybody has MORE pixels per inch. And personally I am really glad its not larger. I hate pancake phones.
Lumia 920 has more PPI, 332 (1280 x 768 x 4.5inch screen) vs 326 ( 1136 x 640 x 4inch screen).
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense

Last edited by Sasquach : Sep 13, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:25 AM   #221
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Relevant:

Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:46 AM   #222
Yceman
Radeon R600

Yceman is still being judged by the masses

Lol at the video
Some of those people had the 4s themselves and couldn't realize they're the same phone
Yceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:06 AM   #223
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Jokes aside, I seriously dislike this company.
Creativity, patents & such aside, they are a bunch of liars. They lie with no shame, and rely on their better marketing to carry out false facts and misinformation, and the masses believe it.

Newest example:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-says-...s-out-it-isnt/

The fact itself is largely irrelevant, I personally don't give a rats ass which is the thinnest phone in the world, but the principle of the thing pisses me of.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:17 AM   #224
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
Relevant:

omg if this is not staged.. wtf

apple customer are funny
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Sep 13, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:18 AM   #225
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
omg if this is not staged.. wtf
Considering a not insignificant portion of the iPhone 4 & 4S user base identified their phone as having 4G connectivity, I'm actually leaning towards this being legit.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:40 AM   #226
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Considering a not insignificant portion of the iPhone 4 & 4S user base identified their phone as having 4G connectivity, I'm actually leaning towards this being legit.
The two guys doing the engadget liveblog pre-show thing yesterday mentioned a poll that most Apple users think 4G LTE means 4G lite....
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:42 AM   #227
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Nano hmmm

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:50 AM   #228
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
No, gonna have to pay for it or switch plans.
Not exactly

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/12/sprint...ted-data-plan/

A Verizon representative confirmed with 9to5mac this evening that customers will only be able to keep their unlimited data plan if they pay full price for the iPhone 5 ($649 for 16GB)

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:02 AM   #229
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I think there was also a point in the 1800's where the U.S. Patent Office closed because everything had been invented.

What else could Apple have done? NFC, wireless charging, not creating a new proprietary connection. How about upgrades to iOS? Apparently it's acceptable for Apple to do app updates but somehow spin it into it being an OS upgrade. How about scaling iOS to be able to branch more readily into the business sectors? From what I've observed, Apple is completely dependent on 3rd party apps from companies like VMware to be in that market. FYI, large government agencies and even companies like HP have been switching to Android based devices from Blackberry (or WebOS), not to iPhones. Personally, it's that sector that I think MSFT will initially make the greatest cuts into the market.

When a sizeable focus is spent on the physical dimension's of your product instead of what it can do, there's a variety of issues at play.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:13 AM   #230
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I think the most interesting thing about the iPhone 5 announcements is how often I keep hearing the Nokia Lumia 920 being mentioned.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:35 AM   #231
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

AT&T mobility just called here. They're taking pre-orders a day early for businesses. 4 on order
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:39 AM   #232
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

I for one am looking forward to seeing Apple & Nokia/Microsoft in court.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:52 AM   #233
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
The battery life, camera, and previous investment in iOS apps is making me lean towards the iPhone though...
S3 camera is better than the 4s, and equal to the iPhone5 I believe.
Battery life is better. Here's the screenshot- I charged to 100% yesterday when I seen nycdarkness take a screenshot, which made me use the cool gesture. Swiping with the side of your hand to take a screenshot. This is completely stock, no fidgeting with apps / turning stuff off.. natural S3

"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:04 AM   #234
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
S3 camera is better than the 4s, and equal to the iPhone5 I believe.
Battery life is better. Here's the screenshot- I charged to 100% yesterday when I seen nycdarkness take a screenshot, which made me use the cool gesture. Swiping with the side of your hand to take a screenshot. This is completely stock, no fidgeting with apps / turning stuff off.. natural S3

somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:50 AM   #235
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

How much will the new Nano be? I need an MP3 player for work...
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:51 AM   #236
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

149 i believe
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:02 AM   #237
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Don't do it.
Never buying another Apple product after all this patent bullshit. **** 'em.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:05 AM   #238
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
use your smartphone......
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:08 AM   #239
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
use your smartphone......
I haven't had a smartphone since February 2011.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:13 AM   #240
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Don't do it.
Never buying another Apple product after all this patent bullshit. **** 'em.
Yep, that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Those can, do.
Those who can't, sue.

Apple should just try to out-innovate Samsung. Instead of innovate they litigate. F that.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote