Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:51 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The battery improvement in this thing is amazing. 4G plus 4x the pixels and "quad-core graphics" and it still maintains 9 hour battery life. Another tool Apple has in its pocket that competitors simply can't match. This is going to bode well for iPhone 6.

Competitors have no chance. The lock-in effect is to great.

Last edited by Razeus : Mar 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:11 PM   #182
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

The battery takes up 70% of the inside. Apple can really cram everything in as little space as possible

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 03:28 PM   #183
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The battery takes up 70% of the inside. Apple can really cram everything in as little space as possible
Yes, I know. The battery SIZE is the same. The capacity of the new battery is much greater.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:45 PM   #184
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

I can't help but laugh at the people who are saying "no quad core, no buy"

BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:02 PM   #185
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

Yer, I'm not entirely sure what the big deal with that is. Content creation is where the quad cores shine most and both Intel and AMD are still making dual cores for consumer machines. I believe Asus is also dropping quad cores for duals in their latest Android tablets for that very reason.

It would be nice to have a quad core iPad but not at the cost of battery life.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:26 PM   #186
Zoolok
The Fly

Zoolok is still being judged by the masses

I love the new screen, that and the software are the most important things about a tablet. And the battery life, too. Put all that together, I'll try to buy the new iPad as soon as I can
Old Mar 9, 2012, 07:04 PM   #187
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Wish I would have known that the "smart" cover I chose while ordering only covered the font of the iPad. That seems pretty stupid to me.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 07:59 PM   #188
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToPC View Post
I can't help but laugh at the people who are saying "no quad core, no buy"

I'm sorry but for me to consider switching from an environment I've been entrenched in since 2009 to something completely new, it'd have just completely blow me out of the water. If you can't understand that then I can't help but laugh at you. Screen is nice but I already have a fairly powerful dual core tablet with a VERY nice display.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 08:43 PM   #189
BackToPC
Banned

BackToPC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
it'd have just completely blow me out of the water.
And two extra cores that wont be used by 99% of apps is what it would take to blow you out of the water?

Also, keep in mind that a dual core ARM Cortex A15 completely destroys a Quad core CortexA9 in benchmarks...

Last edited by BackToPC : Mar 9, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
BackToPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:42 AM   #190
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:42 AM   #191
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Has there been any confirmation if this new iPad has more ram?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:51 AM   #192
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Has there been any confirmation if this new iPad has more ram?
I don't think so however pushing 4x the pixels it would certainly need more ram for paging.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:58 AM   #193
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Yeah, usually what the iPad gets is what the next iPhone gets. So I am hoping they gave it more ram so we can see that on the next iPhone. I am hoping apple reveals the next iPhone on the regular schedule(June) and not late because they announced the 4S late.

Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:43 PM   #194
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

With that many pixels, I have no doubt there's 1GB RAM in there.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:25 AM   #195
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

New iPad gets benchmarked: 1GB RAM confirmed, no boost in CPU speed

Quote:
Not only did some lucky gents in Vietnam get their hands on the new iPad while most people are still refreshing their delivery status page, they were also kind enough to run some benchmark tests. The results confirm that the RAM has been upped to 1GB, with the Geekbench score settling at 756. The processor remains at 1GHz, again, which is what we expected, but puts the kibosh on any speculation that there might have been a slight bump in clock speeds. If you want to see the full breakdown, hit the source for the goods.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:17 AM   #196
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweet. So the work to the CPU was just giving it more beefy GPU.

With the retina screen, and more ram and higher capacity battery and much better camera, it's no wonder Apple couldn't go quad core on the CPU. Would have cut into their margins more than it already has, as it would have cost too much, making investors unhappy. Solid specs. Still obliterates everything out there.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:58 AM   #197
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Sweet. So the work to the CPU was just giving it more beefy GPU.

With the retina screen, and more ram and higher capacity battery and much better camera, it's no wonder Apple couldn't go quad core on the CPU. Would have cut into their margins more than it already has, as it would have cost too much, making investors unhappy. Solid specs. Still obliterates everything out there.
I'm a bit disappointed though. The component costs are not astronomical, estimates seem to suggest that Apple still has a large (something like 30% ish) margin on every unit sold. They could have gone a bit farther towards driving the innovator stake into the ground, but I'm not seeing that happen lately. Since Steve left the company, we've seen the iPhone 5 launch turn into a rebadged iPhone 4 with voice and a beefed up CPU (not the larger screen game changer that everyone was expecting). I'm a bit more impressed with the iPad 3 (that isn't a 3) that offers a better display and LTE, but then I don't know what the rest of the technosphere was expecting.

I'm hoping that this doesn't signal Apple losing a bit of that torch they used to have.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:41 PM   #198
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I'm a bit disappointed though. The component costs are not astronomical, estimates seem to suggest that Apple still has a large (something like 30% ish) margin on every unit sold. They could have gone a bit farther towards driving the innovator stake into the ground, but I'm not seeing that happen lately. Since Steve left the company, we've seen the iPhone 5 launch turn into a rebadged iPhone 4 with voice and a beefed up CPU (not the larger screen game changer that everyone was expecting). I'm a bit more impressed with the iPad 3 (that isn't a 3) that offers a better display and LTE, but then I don't know what the rest of the technosphere was expecting.

I'm hoping that this doesn't signal Apple losing a bit of that torch they used to have.
I thing the best things are going to the iPhone. The iPad is just a preview. They can do more with the iPhone because the phone carriers will offset alot of the cost for us consumers due to a perceived value. $500 to pay for an iPad is pretty much the stopping point people will pay, and Apple obviously nailed it and reaps a 50%+ margin on it. Crazy.

Last edited by Razeus : Mar 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:11 PM   #199
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I thing the best things are going to the iPhone. The iPad is just a preview. They can do more with the iPhone because the phone carriers will offset alot of the cost for us consumers due to a perceived value. $500 to pay for an iPad is pretty much the stopping point people will pay, and Apple obviously nailed it and reaps a 50%+ margin on it. Crazy.
See but that's just it, I think their success is going to drive complacency and stagnation over the next few years. They're a victim of their own success at this point. Previously they could rely on Steve Dictator Jobs to drive direction throughout the entire organization, but with that comes a chance at small failures. Now that they're worth more than most countries, without that dictator's presence I'm wondering if we're going to start seeing more "safe" bets on the software & hardware design fronts.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:15 PM   #200
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
See but that's just it, I think their success is going to drive complacency and stagnation over the next few years. They're a victim of their own success at this point. Previously they could rely on Steve Dictator Jobs to drive direction throughout the entire organization, but with that comes a chance at small failures. Now that they're worth more than most countries, without that dictator's presence I'm wondering if we're going to start seeing more "safe" bets on the software & hardware design fronts.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Apple over the next decade. They are still maintaining an amazing run. Apple will eventually need another product on the market (probably the iTV, but sounds very pricey) to sustain.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:20 PM   #201
logical
What is my purpose?

Alright, good to go... hopefully we can get that 1GB in the iPhone 5

Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:25 AM   #202
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Was going to order an iPad 3 but decided not to because of the recent rumors regarding the 7.85" iPad coming Q2-3 2012. Much better e-reader size IMHO; especially for crowded subways. Besides, with a resolution higher than HD, I can't help but wonder how in the world 64GB is enough.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:16 AM   #203
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:28 AM   #204
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Never been a huge fan of apple products, but credit where it's due... the battery life and screen resolution is very impressive.

I have no need for another device in my life, but hopefully this will kick other manufacturers in the backside to up their game some.

Not really related to the ipad... but I have just purchased a satellite pro and I must say the touch pad compared to my girlfriends mac-book pro is terrible, even when I have customised all of the response settings, feels so clunky and unresponsive.

Thankfully I mostly use a micro mouse while out and about anyway.
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:03 AM   #205
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i thoguht there will be no home button on the New ipad,

but there is one.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:19 AM   #206
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Was going to order an iPad 3 but decided not to because of the recent rumors regarding the 7.85" iPad coming Q2-3 2012. Much better e-reader size IMHO; especially for crowded subways. Besides, with a resolution higher than HD, I can't help but wonder how in the world 64GB is enough.
I know. I might need to return mine and spring for the 32GB. The 32GB should be the base by now...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:20 AM   #207
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i thoguht there will be no home button on the New ipad,

but there is one.
That was a rumor on blog sites to get people to click on their links. Rumors are a waste of time.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:48 AM   #208
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

Where are you Kindle Fire 2?
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:55 AM   #209
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCyniC View Post
Where are you the new Kindle Fire?
FTFY
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:01 PM   #210
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

You know what's also a plus? Developers ready to go with their Retina iPad apps. Sweet.