Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:06 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
If/when someone gets the S3, please post their pics and impressions
I was going to but I loaned mine to FX and he broke it

Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:22 PM   #182
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
I was going to but I loaned mine to FX and he broke it

ROFL

Sorry FX, but this is very appropriate..
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:29 PM   #183
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Does anyone plan on melting butter on their S3?

From the comments:
Competitor A == Motorola Razr (powered by TI OMAP)
Competitor B == Samsung Galaxy S2 (Powered by Exynos)

Last edited by guest : Jun 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:13 PM   #184
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

my bro say his SGS3 is not that hot??
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:43 PM   #185
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

What's this about requiring a special cable for HDMI output?

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2012/06/08/s...lhdmi-adapter/

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:48 PM   #186
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Looks like it's exactly what it says
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:34 PM   #187
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
my bro say his SGS3 is not that hot??
We don't really know what software they were running. Could have been something designed purely to heat up the cpu as much as possible.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:42 PM   #188
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
We don't really know what software they were running. Could have been something designed purely to heat up the cpu as much as possible.
Fwiw, my phone can definitely heat up... a LOT. So if the S3 was pushed, it's possible it could melt butter

I know mine probably could do it easily when running certain apps.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:02 PM   #189
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Butter will melt in the palm of your hand.
Seems fairly cool looking at this review (in swedish, but has numbers).
http://www.nordichardware.se/smartph...tart=8#content
much cooler then the S2 for example.

------------Galaxy S3------HTC One S------HTC One X-----Sony Xperia S--Galaxy S2
Average---36,1°C -------- 39,8°C -------- 46,0°C -------- 34,1°C -------- 50,3°C
Highest----38,4°C -------- 49,4°C -------- 55,9°C -------- 41,4°C -------- 61,2°C
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:51 PM   #190
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Butter will melt in the palm of your hand.
Seems fairly cool looking at this review (in swedish, but has numbers).
http://www.nordichardware.se/smartph...tart=8#content
much cooler then the S2 for example.

------------Galaxy S3------HTC One S------HTC One X-----Sony Xperia S--Galaxy S2
Average---36,1°C -------- 39,8°C -------- 46,0°C -------- 34,1°C -------- 50,3°C
Highest----38,4°C -------- 49,4°C -------- 55,9°C -------- 41,4°C -------- 61,2°C
International Galaxy S3 does not use the Snapdragon S4.. only the US model does.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:24 PM   #191
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

The butter melting probably does a better job of measuring energy output than measuring temperature alone.

A more compact phone can be hotter but emit the same thermal energy because it has lower surface area. Covering it in butter and measuring the melt rate should allow an actual energy consumption measurement.

Not that any of that really matters because all we care about are battery life and burnt finger tips. Unless you have nothing but a stick of cold butter, some dry popcorn, and a few cell phones to choose from.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:47 PM   #192
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
International Galaxy S3 does not use the Snapdragon S4.. only the US model does.
Alright, but then I dont get it, the video is about how much cooler it is then competitors chips?
I mean you dont exactly need much to melt butter, leave it out in room temperature is pretty much enough.
and that´s still a time lapse video.

But the S2 reaching 55c on heavy load is pretty damn hot.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:30 PM   #193
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Alright, but then I dont get it, the video is about how much cooler it is then competitors chips?
I mean you dont exactly need much to melt butter, leave it out in room temperature is pretty much enough.
and that´s still a time lapse video.

But the S2 reaching 55c on heavy load is pretty damn hot.
yes, they were pointing out the temp difference. A cooler running chip also uses less battery power since it's not converting as much energy into heat. It's a very important measurement for phones.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:54 PM   #194
Blasphemer
Radeon Northern Islands

Blasphemer is still being judged by the masses

I got my sgs3 yesterday, what a lovely thing. So quick, yes its big, but the screen is lovely. I know its pentile, but if thats such a massive issue for you, then don't get one. I only bought the entry level 16gb version, but plonked in a 32gb sd card so i've got plenty of storage.
GPS performance is so much quicker than anything I've tried before, locked on in less than 10 seconds indoors, in bad weather. Very good. Now just need to get some nice games and apps to show it off with.

Great phone, my poor old rickety SGS 1 is retiring. (Which with a fresh install of ICS is still pretty slick)
Blasphemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:40 PM   #195
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

I am waiting for this phone to come and replace my Blackberry Bold 9650. It is going to change my life.

What do you guys think about using a protective case on these phones? I want to keep it in my pocket and I wonder if that will make it too much of a burden. I've seen some vids on youtube where they drop it from ear level and the screen cracks... Do not want that to happen! With such a slim profile has anyone designed a non-intrusive, non-old-man-looking belt clip for this type of device yet?
ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:27 PM   #196
Blasphemer
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler582 View Post
I am waiting for this phone to come and replace my Blackberry Bold 9650. It is going to change my life.

What do you guys think about using a protective case on these phones? I want to keep it in my pocket and I wonder if that will make it too much of a burden. I've seen some vids on youtube where they drop it from ear level and the screen cracks... Do not want that to happen! With such a slim profile has anyone designed a non-intrusive, non-old-man-looking belt clip for this type of device yet?
Yeah I got an Anymode black vent case with the phone for free (wasn't going to buy it so the store guy said "I'll chuck that in" cheers mate) It helps with gripping it as the phone so smooth, and hardly affects the styling at all.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:21 PM   #197
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I wonder if there are any other awesome phones coming out before the end of the year
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:38 AM   #198
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I wonder if there are any other awesome phones coming out before the end of the year
Hmm...the big ones so far has been the Galaxy S3, HTC One X/S (i think S is dual core, X is quad?).

Iphone 5 is rumored to be coming out late this year, and so is Windows Phone 8 stuff.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:41 AM   #199
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Fwiw, my phone can definitely heat up... a LOT. So if the S3 was pushed, it's possible it could melt butter

I know mine probably could do it easily when running certain apps.
LG Optimus 7....run a 3d program/game and feel the thing burn you.
But then again all first gen WP7 devices use an oldass 65nm Qualcomm Snapdragon S1 8250/8650....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:19 AM   #200
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Note 2
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:38 PM   #201
Arioch
3D Vision Fanboy

Arioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyArioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Just got my 32GB pebble blue T-Mobile S3 up and running - what a sexy phone.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:00 PM   #202
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

July 12th, where are you? why are you so far away?
edit: One thing I find annoying is that Verizon apparently has stuck their logo on the front of the phone above the home button.
edit2: Hmmm, So it may not actually have the logo on front, conflicting reports. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by Xiro : Jun 27, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:57 PM   #203
Blasphemer
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch View Post
Just got my 32GB pebble blue T-Mobile S3 up and running - what a sexy phone.
Yeah, it has to be the blue one. I only got one because they had the blue ones turn up on the day I went in. It really is nice. Could have been horrible, but no.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:16 PM   #204
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I was considering getting this on T-Mobile until today when they announced Jelly Bean coming to the Galaxy Nexus next month Plus the Galaxy Nexus just got dropped to $349 off contract.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:38 PM   #205
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

With my Nexus S getting Jelly Bean, it will be hard to decide whether or not to upgrade to a Galaxy S3 considering the S2 is just getting ICS.

Seems like I should just wait for the S3 or One S (T-mobile doesn't have the One X) to get Jelly Bean.

edit: Someone reported a tweet from sammobile claiming the S3 will get JB in Q3 2012. Still wouldn't put my money on it.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jun 27, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:43 PM   #206
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
With my Nexus S getting Jelly Bean, it will be hard to decide whether or not to upgrade to a Galaxy S3 considering the S2 is just getting ICS.

Seems like I should just wait for the S3 or One S (T-mobile doesn't have the One X) to get Jelly Bean.
I would.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:32 AM   #207
Tizen
Custom User Title

Quote:

edit: Someone reported a tweet from sammobile claiming the S3 will get JB in Q3 2012. Still wouldn't put my money on it.

Unofficial ROMs will be far faster to upgrade to newer versions now that Cyanogen mod 9 is nearing final release.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:10 AM   #208
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisti View Post
Unofficial ROMs will be far faster to upgrade to newer versions now that Cyanogen mod 9 is nearing final release.
Will this cover jellybean too?

-edit-

Just saw your post about the Note 2. Anything officially available? I saw a lot of rumors online
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:49 AM   #209
Tizen
Custom User Title

Quote:
Will this cover jellybean too?

-edit-

Just saw your post about the Note 2. Anything officially available? I saw a lot of rumors online
? JB is just an upgrade over ICS. All unofficial roms are mostly based of CM9, which took a long time to get to RC stage, since it was a complete rewrite.
New version of CM with JB shouldn't be far off, and with that many custom roms that follow suite.

As far as note 2 goes, just lots of rumors... Will see in September/October :jizz:
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:40 AM   #210
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisti View Post
Will they have camera support?