Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:24 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
The whole extended battery thing is a turn off for me. Carrying bigger/more batteries is an inelegant solution imo. In any case, improved batteries also don't fix the pentile screen or wacky phone color.
Given how thin and light the device is, a denser battery may not be a wholly inelegant solution.

Carrying extra batteries though, yes, that's not what we need.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:51 PM   #152
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

True, depends how long the extended battery lasts and how much thicker it makes the phone. Have to say I like the smallness of my old iPhone 4 and its battery life. Guess that's one benefit of a smaller screen, too bad I'm past small screens.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:31 PM   #153
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'd be all over an HTC X but alas I'm on VZ and for some reason they skipped over that series of phones. My Droid X has served me well but its time to upgrade so GS3 it is.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:27 PM   #154
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiro View Post
I'd be all over an HTC X but alas I'm on VZ and for some reason they skipped over that series of phones. My Droid X has served me well but its time to upgrade so GS3 it is.
Verizon will never abandon Android but I suspect they're seriously considering scaling back their support of the platform just a bit and putting weight behind any potential 3rd marketplace competitor. Taizen might be worth keeping an eye on, or WP7 if it ever manages to pickup steam. But I don't think Verizon's interested in keeping full-speed-ahead with Android since a marketplace dominated by 2 players is an unhealthy thing. Just like a wireless carrier marketplace dominated by 2 carriers is equally as unhealthy.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #155
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Verizon will never abandon Android but I suspect they're seriously considering scaling back their support of the platform just a bit and putting weight behind any potential 3rd marketplace competitor. Taizen might be worth keeping an eye on, or WP7 if it ever manages to pickup steam. But I don't think Verizon's interested in keeping full-speed-ahead with Android since a marketplace dominated by 2 players is an unhealthy thing. Just like a wireless carrier marketplace dominated by 2 carriers is equally as unhealthy.
I don't think Verizon cares too much about a marketplace dominated by 2 carriers
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:44 PM   #156
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I don't think Verizon cares too much about a marketplace dominated by 2 carriers
No they don't. At least they're not full on a-holes like AT&T.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:04 PM   #157
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

So it seems the S3 uses ext4 on the movinand and ExFAT on the sdcard.

They talk about two different memory sizes, do they have different sdcard sizes or is the internal flash actually different?

Is there any info out there on the GPS? It seems to use the same chip that's in the TF300 so I'm concerned.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:12 AM   #158
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Does smart stay work while in call as well? I hate using my phone during a call because it wants to turn off the display really quick.

Old Jun 6, 2012, 06:11 PM   #159
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hmmm, either their page is being hit hard or their page sucks. I choose to preorder, click already a customer, brings up a login screen, enter my info....and nothing happens.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 06:35 PM   #160
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Hmmm, either their page is being hit hard or their page sucks. I choose to preorder, click already a customer, brings up a login screen, enter my info....and nothing happens.
It's apparently the biggest pre order to date for any smartphone.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 07:28 PM   #161
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Wait an extra month and buy one used when the iphone 5 comes out?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 07:33 PM   #162
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Well, Apple is at it again, trying to ban the new GS III

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/06/a...-galaxy-s-iii/

Old Jun 6, 2012, 07:36 PM   #163
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post

I hope they win. Damn companies want to steal other companies ideas.
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 08:06 PM   #164
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
I hope they win. Damn companies want to steal other companies ideas.
/facepalm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 08:37 PM   #165
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
/facepalm
Pretty sure he's being facetious...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 09:21 PM   #166
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Pretty sure he's being facetious...
It's not that, I literally face-palm every time I see that comment
Old Jun 7, 2012, 06:28 AM   #167
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 06:47 AM   #168
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Seems like Apple is getting ready to "compete" with it.
http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/06/a...njunction.html
EDIT: ah, that was already posted.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 07:24 AM   #169
Xiro
Oo

So I was able to get to the site without issue, but for some reason it wont let me select "Decline Insurance" Keeps selecting "Extended Warranty" even if I choose decline. Computer, Phone, Tablet, all have the same results Guess I'll just go to the store.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 08:09 AM   #170
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:

If, from day one, every company in the world treated Apple the way Apple treats other companies they wouldn't exist today.

Apple likes to steal and copy their way to the top and then sue the crap out of everyone else who even remotely gets a similar idea.
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:51 AM   #171
ATi VGA Wonder

I went ahead and pre-ordered the 32GB blue one. Seems the 16 vs. 32gb is the actual internal memory and both phones come without an sdcard. I did this to get my wife on 4g with her unlimited data plan.. I'll swap phones with her though.

Comparisons to my Droid Charge:

Main Flash memory - 2GB vs 32GB
RAM - 300MB vs 2GB

The Droid Charge is nice except for the flash and ram limitations. To be honest it really cripples that phone so I can't wait for the new one. My wife has a small set of apps she likes to use plus she is into the pictures which the super amoled plus screen is great for. Pentile... can't believe I'm getting it but I don't think I can risk waiting any longer.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 08:00 PM   #172
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Just ordered a blue 32gb from vzw.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2012, 08:59 PM   #173
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTMouse View Post
If, from day one, every company in the world treated Apple the way Apple treats other companies they wouldn't exist today.

Apple likes to steal and copy their way to the top and then sue the crap out of everyone else who even remotely gets a similar idea.
is Apple a lawyer firm nowaday or something
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:53 AM   #174
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Priority 1 for tech firms is protection of their IP. You may disagree with Apple's apparent conduct on the matter but every company does it to a certain extent. Apple just seems to be more aggressive about it. Business is business, sheesh...

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:35 AM   #175
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Priority 1 for tech firms is protection of their IP. You may disagree with Apple's apparent conduct on the matter but every company does it to a certain extent. Apple just seems to be more aggressive about it. Business is business, sheesh...
Protecting your IP is well and good, but abusing a patent system that has been updated to let the courts sort it out is absolutely ridiculous and should not be condoned.

Apple is doing nothing more than trolling patents and the fact they are being granted those even though there is plenty of prior art is pathetic.

Every company has a right to protect their IP, but Apple is not doing much of that.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 08:18 PM   #176
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The things they´re suing over are their patents to:
Use gestures to control a device with a touchscreen.
Make links out of phone numbers, email addresses and URLs in stuff like Emails.
And basically, tablets... somehow they patented the entire concept of those or something like that back in 2008 even though there has been tablets shown publically before.
For example, microsoft tried to push the concept of tablets back in 2000, waving them around at trade shows.
And they´ve been defacto implements in many a futuristic movies, like 2001:Space odyssey from 1968 which samsung cited as prior art.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 08:34 PM   #177
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Protecting your IP is well and good, but abusing a patent system that has been updated to let the courts sort it out is absolutely ridiculous and should not be condoned.

Apple is doing nothing more than trolling patents and the fact they are being granted those even though there is plenty of prior art is pathetic.

Every company has a right to protect their IP, but Apple is not doing much of that.
If what they're doing is legal, I don't see why they shouldn't take advantage of it. The rules of the games changed, they adapted. Let's see all the other players do the same until someone realizes the patent laws are retarded.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 9, 2012, 08:51 PM   #178
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
If what they're doing is legal, I don't see why they shouldn't take advantage of it. The rules of the games changed, they adapted. Let's see all the other players do the same until someone realizes the patent laws are retarded.
Apple has a bigger war-chest is using that advantage plus their lawyers to drive companies like HTC, who have some amazing products, to the brink.

There is no level playing field, the more money someone has, the bigger an advantage they can pursue. Hell, they just patented the WEDGE shape for notebooks, even though plenty of companies have had products out with the same shape and even similar advertising before the Air came out.

There is little point in shutting the door after the horse has bolted. Stupid stuff like delaying the HTC One series and potentially the Galaxy S3 devices just because Apple has it's panties in a bunch is completely anti-competitive and monopolistic behavior. While Microsoft and other's have been repeatedly beaten up about this, Apple and it's army of lawyers have somehow been immune.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:01 AM   #179
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Samsung Galaxy S3:
-I love the performance specs, who knew we would jump up to 2GB RAM so soon on a phone.
-I'm not thrilled that the battery is only 2100 mAh, but I feel that way about all Android phones now. I think every new Android should have a battery like the Razr Maxx at 3300 mAh, and with the slim design to match. At least make it an option, I'd gladly pay $50 - $100 for a battery that awesome.
-Why does anyone need a 4.8" screen? Look I know it's easier on the eyes, but that a frigin huge phone. 4" - 4.3" screens on a phone is the sweet-spot if you ask me, but I'm also satisfied with the 3.7" screen on my Droid2Global. And the bigger the screen, the more battery power I assume too.

My response to Apple:
-My big issue with Apple suing is that I would rather see them legitimately compete, and stop wasting the court's time. They clearly have talented designers in that company given the success of iOS and MacOSX. So why not try to out-do Android creatively?! And if the idea-well is running dry, then try adding some features from Android, but do it better than Android! Competition can be a healthy thing too.
-Apple is not hurting for cash, and a federal judge recently said so when he dismissed the case between Apple and Moto, as neither side could show any real damages.
-If it's one thing I've learned, it's that iOS and Android are actually very different, and the users do not like to switch between the two. Case point, I can not stand using my wife's iPhone4 or iPad2, I feel incredibly restricted by it because I want to do things my way, put things where I want them, and sometimes I get bored and want to mess around with widgets, icons, the dock, etc. Likewise my wife hates my Android phone and tablet, she feels they are overcomplicated and in the end she just wants a phone to work quickly and straight forward. Even physically there are differences, given the huge variety of Android phones including those with slider keyboards, versus the rarely/barely changed iPhone design.

Last edited by Gator : Jun 10, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:47 AM   #180
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

If/when someone gets the S3, please post their pics and impressions